2019 Draft Discussion

Discuss NCAA and international hoops and scout and evaluate players for the NBA Draft.

Moderators: wallace044, rtn393, Irv

NewlyKnicked
Likes given: 160

https://theknickswall.com/would-abolish ... he-knicks/

Interesting idea of abolishing the draft altogether and letting the incoming rookies deal with their free agency. I like the draft concept because it's fun, but it does sound a bit unfair for them to not have a say about where they'll play nor for how much.
2017 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion
2020 Co-NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion
2021 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion
cragganmor
Likes given: 93

Culver's shot looking much smoother, consistent than in the FF.

Don Che
Likes given: 9

hes bringing his guide hand up with his right hand which gives more control and an overall more compact form which was the only thing I saw wrong....happy to see him work on that
nazrmohamed
Likes given: 246

cragganmor wrote:Culver's shot looking much smoother, consistent than in the FF.

So much talk of the final four. First of all, he got there which says alot. Idk how you can hurt your stock in a failing effort in the finals. Second it was there he met maybe the best defender in the NCAA at a wing position. It wasnt his best game, it happens. He'll have a solid career.
Don Che

even he says RJ isnt better than Culver at the end
nazrmohamed

Craggs, you scout Deividas Sirvydis yet? Reminds me of Herzonia.
cragganmor

nazrmohamed wrote:Craggs, you scout Deividas Sirvydis yet? Reminds me of Herzonia.
i saw some stuff on him via draft sites. he's a lefty, 6'8" with decent quicks and can dribble, pass, shoot so the comparison to mario is understandable plus he was the primary ballhandler for his pro team, but he's officially 180#; at that weight he really needs to get in the gym. he's also got a negative wingspan so it might limit him defensively in the nba. but he's worth taking a risk at #55, one of the youngest in this draft, still 18. i think he would really slot to the pg spot in nba, but his height could give him the versatility to play sg, too. he's tall, fluid and skilled, so he fits the modern nba game. somehow, i think the spurs grab this kid...

philly and atl have 5 picks in the top 12 2nd round; we need to make a deal.
NewlyKnicked

The Raptors are in Final with all their players selected outside the top10 of their draft...
Rusty La Rue
Likes given: 795

NewlyKnicked wrote:The Raptors are in Final with all their players selected outside the top10 of their draft...
But they did add a finals MVP even though he was also drafted outside of the top 10... You can find a lot of talent drafted outside of the top 10... for example wasn't Giannis drafted 15th and Kobe 13th? I mean if all their central players were drafted outside of the top 10 and by the Raptors... I would be impressed... but their GM definitely did a great job (especially if he can get Kawhi to stay) adding talent both via the draft and trades...
Last edited by Rusty La Rue on May 28th, 2019, 3:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
2023 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion
"Everybody gets excited about youth except the coach, because he knows youth means mistakes, mistakes mean losses, losses means you're fired."
cragganmor

NewlyKnicked wrote:The Raptors are in Final with all their players selected outside the top10 of their draft...
they really hit the jackpot with Sikiam; an inspired pick that panned out well.
spree#8
Likes given: 540

NewlyKnicked wrote:https://theknickswall.com/would-abolish ... he-knicks/

Interesting idea of abolishing the draft altogether and letting the incoming rookies deal with their free agency. I like the draft concept because it's fun, but it does sound a bit unfair for them to not have a say about where they'll play nor for how much.
If your goal remains to have as competitive a league as you can, abolishing the draft would be the worst thing that you can do. The draft and the salary cap system are the main pillars that ensue that every franchise has an opportunity to build a champion (a closed league being the third). If you take one of the main two away, big markets will way too easily take over.
#knickstape
NewlyKnicked

spree#8 wrote:If your goal remains to have as competitive a league as you can, abolishing the draft would be the worst thing that you can do. The draft and the salary cap system are the main pillars that ensue that every franchise has an opportunity to build a champion (a closed league being the third). If you take one of the main two away, big markets will way too easily take over.
And we are a big market, so... ;)

MOre seriously, you're probably right, although the salary cap (as well as the limited number of roster spots) would still be there which would limit the dominance of big markets. They would still have to make choices about how to spend their cap and fill their team. Big markets will have an edge tho as you brought up.

Just to be clear I very much enjoy the game. I like the competitivity and the show which result from the system. I just can't help but see fondamental flaws in it.

I found the article interesting as it brings the question of the players' freedom to choose where they'll work and for how much. Atm they're just assets part of the business with very limited power over their own destiny, they can be traded today and not have a say in it. And it all starts from the draft. It's changing a little lately with superstars demanding trades, but if you're a mid-level player, you're still just a toy and you can see your life crumble from one day to another. They must understand that when entering the league, but you can't blame them for asking for a little more control.

It's all just ideas of new directions we could take. You seem happy with how the system works so far (maybe not so much since the lottery odds have been reworked). I agree that the system that gave birth to super powered clubs in European football is very flawed and much more big markets-oriented. I don't have THE solution, but I like to think we can improve on the system
spree#8
Likes given: 540

Yes, I'm very happy with the NBA's system, but the rules are all negotiated in the collective bargaing agreement, so the players can bring all their ideas to the negotiating table. I doubt that they want to get rid of the draft though, because it ensures at least 30 valuable contracts.
#knickstape
Don Che

add him to the list

I want RJ and a combo forward with defensive instincts and exceptional physical tools to play either with Knox or Vonleh down the line
NewlyKnicked

Any word on how Culver's workout went?
Don Che

Hunter at 3 would drive you guys nuts...but I'm good with it

fits what we need and there is no clear superstar in this draft

more athletic and shoots better than both rj and Culver

we wont pick him but I still think he should be considered
nazrmohamed

I'm 100% committed to Barrett and my mind wont be changed but I will say this. If you think lightning could strike twice with a player similar to Kuwai then you pick Hunter. In fact Hunter is a better shooter than Kuwai was and his defense is damn good. My issue with him is hes such an upright player who lacks shot creation. His team was really good around him in terms of being coaches and getting good shots and hes a smart player who picks his spots and takes good shots. I just dont know if hes an initiator on offense like Barrett can be.

Reminds me of a more athletic Lance Thomas who can shoot but similar to the same shots Lance takes and misses. That alone makes him a starter and very solid player. I just cant tell if hed a role player at the NBA level.
Don Che

I'm good with drafting RJ ...but if he goes 2 I wouldnt draft Ja...I'd still commit to the wing

also I know Dennis is talented as hell but if I do draft RJ.....I'd look to get a later pick and take Carsen Edward's who I've liked since last year....totally fits our roster and style of play...just not sure if he can defend at an NBA level
NewlyKnicked

Don Che wrote:I'm good with drafting RJ ...but if he goes 2 I wouldnt draft Ja...I'd still commit to the wing

also I know Dennis is talented as hell but if I do draft RJ.....I'd look to get a later pick and take Carsen Edward's who I've liked since last year....totally fits our roster and style of play...just not sure if he can defend at an NBA level
I read Carsen has a 6'6 wingspan which allows him to play much larger than his 6'1. I think he's worth a shot. Lowry, Mills, CP3, Collison, VanVleet... there are a lot of short players doing well/OK in defense in the league
Would you trade DSJ for a late 1st (+ a lesser talent), is that what you're saying? Because I'm not sure I see Edward as our primary PG, more a backup (even though we have like 15 backup PG and no starter atm :blink: )
cragganmor

:popcorn:
Don Che wrote:I'm good with drafting RJ ...but if he goes 2 I wouldnt draft Ja...I'd still commit to the wing

Agree, gotta surround RJ with shooters.

If Carsen is gone at 55, Kyle Guy is a legit volume 3 baller, plays on both sides of the ball with a good motor.

Dunno what to do with DSJ if we draft RJ... What's his value?