Wal-Mart’s Response To This New York Times Hit Piece Is EPIC

Talk about anything and everything.

Moderators: wallace044, rtn393, Irv

shakespeare
Likes given: 0

Fact Check: The New York Times "The Corporate Daddy"

We saw this article in The New York Times and couldn't overlook how wildly inaccurate it is, so we had some fun with it. I hope you will too.

http://blog.walmart.com/fact-check-the- ... rate-daddy
Wal-mart's response to the scathing New York Times article. Hilarious.
#TeamTank
washingtonparkjones

Except its all spin bullshit
shakespeare

washingtonparkjones wrote:Except its all spin bullshit
Definitely. Lol.
#TeamTank
dcapodic

washingtonparkjones wrote:Except its all spin bullshit
So, actually using facts versus suppositions and rumor is now "spin"?

Might have been nice if the original article writer used facts, then WMT would not have to use their "spin" .
- Me being the resident optimist around this cesspool of doom and gloom, StevoStarks, circa 2019
shakespeare

I want to respond so bad, but if you're anywhere near a long-time forum member like myself, then you truly understand the wealthy debates between dcapodic and WPJ that have taken place for some time now.

So of course I'm staying out of this one and getting my popcorn ready.
#TeamTank
dcapodic

shakespeare wrote:I want to respond so bad, but if you're anywhere near a long-time forum member like myself, then you truly understand the wealthy debates between dcapodic and WPJ that have taken place for some time now.

So of course I'm staying out of this one and getting my popcorn ready.
You crack me up shakes :)

gotta get through this waiting on Melo decision time somehow?!?
- Me being the resident optimist around this cesspool of doom and gloom, StevoStarks, circa 2019
washingtonparkjones

Spin is the gap between the message they intend to convey with the "facts" and what the facts actually mean. Its like when Republicans said in 2012 that there were net job losses "under Obama." Technically true - but the meaning they were conveying - that Obama's policies did not cause job growth - was factually false because all of the job losses came in his first six months when the govt was operating on Bush's last budget.

The first statement by Walmart is a great example - "we are the largest tax payer" - well, what taxes are they talking about exactly? Not corporate income tax - they aren't in the top 5. Sales tax? Technically they "pay" it, but really all they do is collect it. Payroll tax? They only really pay the SS & MED matching taxes. The whole thing "can we see your math" is completely disingenuous anyway because they know where the math comes from (http://www.politifact.com/punditfact/st ... -public-a/). They even said so later in the article. They could debate the math, but that would involve acknowledging how many of their employees receive public assistance b/c they are paid $7.20/hour.

Walmarts also get local tax abatements and all sorts of other tax perks. I'm sure we could do the math if they opened their books but I don't see them putting up any math - if their case was so strong they are the only ones in a real position to do the math. So lay it out walmart - show us the taxes you are talking about, add up all your tax breaks and incentives, and give the numbers for the percent of employees on public assistance. They settled for snark and an ambiguous boast. That's spin.

BTW - Walmart doesn't deny that they offer training on how to apply for public assistance. What's that tell you?