Is the West Coast Really the Best Coast?

Talk about anything and everything.

Moderators: wallace044, rtn393, Irv

Mr. Glass
Likes given: 63

I used to be convinced that we (East) were dominate, but with the current approval of herbal enhancements, the West coast might finally have us beaten. What makes either coast better in your opinion? Leave nothing out (i.e. music, movies, cities, etc.)
"I used to think drinking was bad for me, so I stopped thinking."

- Unknown
Naan
Likes given: 0

Live tv.
Mr. Glass

NYC = best food in the world (all ethnicities).

- Unknown
nazrmohamed
Likes given: 258

Assuming the south doesn't come with us, idkwtf happened to hip hop in New York. And sure they'll be some great underground dude someone will mention but in terms of relevancy there really isn't anything up here. Why else would the best rapper be a 44yr old man. Everywhere else is putting out fresh new artists.
Mr. Glass

nazrmohamed wrote:Assuming the south doesn't come with us, idkwtf happened to hip hop in New York. And sure they'll be some great underground dude someone will mention but in terms of relevancy there really isn't anything up here. Why else would the best rapper be a 44yr old man. Everywhere else is putting out fresh new artists.
So true.

If we are truly talking coastal cities/states, then we can include the likes of Georgia and Florida, as well as DC and Philly. We win the food game hands down with stuff like:

- New England/Manhattan clam chowder
- Philly cheesesteaks
- Pastrami and corned beef
- Coastal seafood

- Unknown
n8 the gr8
Likes given: 167

I've never been to the west coast but the more liberal states in New England are usually just a few years behind the west coast.

I don't think I could ever live outside of New England for more than a couple years at a time. I like living in an old house, the lack of suburban sprawl and how stand offish people are in the Northeast. Friendly and up-front people kind of freak me out. Like I know how people complain about it but I like how you can walk anywhere in NYC and not have to talk to anyone no matter how big the crowd is.

For music whatever you want to see at least comes and tours around NYC/tristate area and all the bands that I like to see a bunch of times in per year are from the Northeast (Phish, Twiddle, Dopapod, Kungfu, etc). I don't really care where bands are from as long as I get a chance to see them enough.

Can Vermont be part of the east coast for the sake of the argument? I like Vermont. I'm also in Vermont now so I wouldn't really have a say if it wasn't.
"dam,we got a crier"
~tao

"Throw Payton out and get it over with. I'm getting hungry."
~Clyde
StevoStarks
Likes given: 9

We've got you guys on weather!
"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
- Dr. Seuss

"Woody was the perfect coach for these mutts."
- taowave

"Is he REALLY injured?? A part of me doesnt believe that he is and I think he's just being a bitch. Bitch-nani."
- rynyk222
Koopa Troopa

man i went to LA two times, specifically studio city and holy shit its a different world than queens ny, or anywhere ny. They have weed stores on every single block, not an exaggeration. Some of the weed stores have valet parking. Just this in itself is mindblowing to anyone who just knows new york.
StevoStarks
Likes given: 9

Koopa Troopa wrote:man i went to LA two times, specifically studio city and holy shit its a different world than queens ny, or anywhere ny. They have weed stores on every single block, not an exaggeration. Some of the weed stores have valet parking. Just this in itself is mindblowing to anyone who just knows new york.

Now they're all over. Like going out to buy groceries. Looking forward to catching up to Colorado.

What were you doing in Studio City?
"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
- Dr. Seuss

"Woody was the perfect coach for these mutts."
- taowave

"Is he REALLY injured?? A part of me doesnt believe that he is and I think he's just being a bitch. Bitch-nani."
- rynyk222
Koopa Troopa

why else would anyone go to Cali???? 8-) 8-) 8-)
big_j_NY
Likes given: 1127

nazrmohamed wrote:Assuming the south doesn't come with us, idkwtf happened to hip hop in New York. And sure they'll be some great underground dude someone will mention but in terms of relevancy there really isn't anything up here. Why else would the best rapper be a 44yr old man. Everywhere else is putting out fresh new artists.
It comes down to beat production basically, nazr. Back when NY was one of the top dominant forces in hip hop, we were known to having the most popular production sounds out there.

If you think about the top hip hop songs from the 90s, the production on those songs were ICONIC AT THAT TIME.........and the producers on those tracks were up-and-comings that were well-known for primarily working with NY/East Coast and West Coast hip hop artists.

Flash forward to now, the up-and-coming producers are essentially scattered about between the West Coast and the South. Yeah, there are still top producers in the NY/East Coast area, but they're too busy getting paid by the older, veteran artists OR have journeyed to other genres of music.

In other words, NY hip hop can return its dominance if we can produce more up-and-coming producers from this area..........instead of relying on beat makers from the other parts of America.