Around the NBA 2017-18

Discuss matters related to other teams, players, and/or the league in general.

Moderators: wallace044, rtn393, Irv, cru77jones

Re: Around the NBA 2017-18

Postby spree#8 » April 5, 2018, 1:51 pm

Not sure I see this season the same as some of you guys. After last season's finals everyone thought it would definitely be Warriors vs. Cavs for a fourth time in a row, while since then both of these teams had problems. Big ones in Cleveland lead to a total overhaul of that team and the "sureshot" champion has major injury problems.

Meanwhile in both conferences teams have stepped up in the Raptors and Rockets that both might have an opportunity to win against the conference champions of the last three years. The Celtics have been hit badly by injuries with both Hayward and Irving missing out the upcoming playoffs, but have played so well this year, that it does seem like a question of when not if until they make it to the finals. The fight for position (especially in the West) is really intriguing for weeks, a long-term vision (76ers) seems to come to fruition, there are fantastic surprise teams (Blazers) and some of the big market teams like us have finally turned to develop youth instead of pipe dreaming all the time.

IMO a pretty good NBA season so far.
#knickstape
spree#8

Postby Koopa Troopa » April 10, 2018, 6:14 pm

spree#8 wrote:Not sure I see this season the same as some of you guys. After last season's finals everyone thought it would definitely be Warriors vs. Cavs for a fourth time in a row, while since then both of these teams had problems. Big ones in Cleveland lead to a total overhaul of that team and the "sureshot" champion has major injury problems.

Meanwhile in both conferences teams have stepped up in the Raptors and Rockets that both might have an opportunity to win against the conference champions of the last three years. The Celtics have been hit badly by injuries with both Hayward and Irving missing out the upcoming playoffs, but have played so well this year, that it does seem like a question of when not if until they make it to the finals. The fight for position (especially in the West) is really intriguing for weeks, a long-term vision (76ers) seems to come to fruition, there are fantastic surprise teams (Blazers) and some of the big market teams like us have finally turned to develop youth instead of pipe dreaming all the time.

IMO a pretty good NBA season so far.

In a league where LeBron got to the finals 8 straight years and there is only one team with any hope of defeating the Warriors in the west, how exciting is it really? The substories with teams like the Sixers are cool to an extent but my concern is with the top of the league. There is barely any competition

I remember people saying the early 2000s was a weak era, especially for the eastern conference but I think that era had way stronger teams in the mid range. Just look at 2001. VC's legendary duel with AI. The Bucks with G Robb Allen and Cassel, Hornets with Davis, Mashburn, Wesley. Young TMac as a 7th/8th seed was dangerous especially in a 5 game series which dont exist anymore in the first round. Didnt even mention the Knicks, Heat or the Pacers. :drunk:

All these teams went into the playoffs with the intention of making some noise. Now you got teams making the playoffs for the sake of getting playoff experience for the young guys. Its not the same :?
Koopa Troopa

Postby Don Che » April 11, 2018, 9:12 am

Plus the raptors are literally afraid of Lebron James...Boston healthy was the only team that had a chance

And Harden can't sustain playoff success when the whistles go down...maybe a game or 2 but when the going gets tough and the refs don't bail him out...he has to prove he can close in those situations.... plus CP3 has his own issues in succeeding in the playoffs as well.

Philly has a better chance than the Raptors and in the west....none does lol unless Kawhi comes back
Don Che

Postby spree#8 » April 11, 2018, 5:12 pm

We will see. I'm excited for the playoffs and don't think anything is worse at the top, but maybe part of it is because as a basketball fan the playoffs are my favorite time of the year and we had teams where nobody thought anyone could beat them before.

On a related note: sorry Thibs, but I like Denver for tonight.
#knickstape
spree#8

Postby shakespeare » April 11, 2018, 7:07 pm

It’ll be unfortunate if Timberwolves don’t make playoffs with the talent on that roster. But I guess the same can or should I say will be said for Nuggets if they lose.

I’d rather see Timbs, though.
#TeamTank
shakespeare
Writer

Postby shakespeare » April 11, 2018, 7:30 pm

NBA teams paying closer attention to players’ wingspans http://nba.nbcsports.com/2018/04/11/nba ... -wingspan/
#TeamTank
shakespeare
Writer

Postby spree#8 » April 11, 2018, 7:58 pm

The Andre Ingram story (ten years D-League till his first call-up) is a nice little story for every athlete keeping a dream alive:

#knickstape
spree#8

Postby taowave » April 12, 2018, 8:02 am

Fultz with the triple double.. I think he is the youngest ever..

Philly is stacked
taowave

Postby shakespeare » April 12, 2018, 9:11 am

Sixers and Celtics are the future of the Eastern Conference — I’ve said this for the past 2 seasons.

Think about this, though: They will add more lottery talent/free agent talent this offseason.

New York is light-years away from being in the same galaxy.
#TeamTank
shakespeare
Writer

Postby H20Knick » April 13, 2018, 7:14 pm

shakespeare wrote:Sixers and Celtics are the future of the Eastern Conference — I’ve said this for the past 2 seasons.

Think about this, though: They will add more lottery talent/free agent talent this offseason.

New York is light-years away from being in the same galaxy.

philly is likely to be picking one spot after us. It's so depressing to try to figure out how we're going to catch up with them.
In RJ we trust.

2018 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition CHAMPION
2015 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition CHAMPION
H20Knick

Postby big_j_NY » April 13, 2018, 7:30 pm

I think us Knicks fans have to accept that we will probably suck for possibly another 4-5 years UNTIL Steve Mills finally figures out how to get over his impatience habits developed as Dolan's right hand man for over a decade AND actually have a blueprint on how to rebuild the NY Knicks into a competitive title contender.

Steve Mills is still too fucking green as a President of Basketball Operations to know how to do a proper rebuild without wasting money on "people that they like" INSTEAD of following a proper gameplan like other successful NBA franchises.
big_j_NY wrote:.....................full sail ahead to the Era of RJ
big_j_NY

Postby shakespeare » April 14, 2018, 10:24 am

Report: Nerlens Noel rejected $70 million offer, requested max, never got another offer from Mavericks
http://nba.nbcsports.com/2018/04/13/rep ... mavericks/

Noel is smoking crack if he believes he’s worth a max contract. Truth be told, he isn’t worth the offer he declined.

Then he goes and catches a drug violation.

Dumb and dumber.
#TeamTank
shakespeare
Writer

Postby shakespeare » April 14, 2018, 10:31 am

H20Knick wrote:
philly is likely to be picking one spot after us. It's so depressing to try to figure out how we're going to catch up with them.

Catching up to 6ers doesn’t seem possible. Not only do they have potential All-NBA talent on the roster in Simmons and Em, barring injury, they’ve also the top overall pick in last season’s draft. Not to mention Simmons loves to pass the rock — any sort of talent around him will thrive, offensively.

New York doesn’t have the high lottery picks nor financial means nor “excitement in the air” to acquire a running mate for Porzingis.
#TeamTank
shakespeare
Writer

Postby spree#8 » April 14, 2018, 11:50 am

Anyone is catchable. Rockets might catch the Warriors this season. I worry about the 76ers once they are a force to be worried about. I see the Celtics in front of them among teams of the future.
#knickstape
spree#8

Postby shakespeare » April 14, 2018, 11:57 pm

6ers ARE a force to be reckoned with, Spree.

They have Embiid, Fultz, Saric and once in a generation Simmons. Not to mention the two first round picks in the upcoming draft AND $30 million in cap space this summer.

We’ve all seen this movie before: New York isn’t catching them or Celtics, although I love your optimism.
#TeamTank
shakespeare
Writer

Postby shakespeare » April 15, 2018, 12:05 am

shakespeare wrote:New York doesn’t have the high lottery picks nor financial means nor “excitement in the air” to acquire a running mate for Porzingis.

Think about that for a second.

We don’t have the means to acquire a running mate for Porzingis while teams like 6ers and Celtics have their Batman and Robin AND a slew of high lottery picks on the roster as well.

I’m tired of seeing other teams build dynasties while we’re still trying to find a head coach.
#TeamTank
shakespeare
Writer

Postby dcapodic » April 15, 2018, 11:10 am

shakespeare wrote:Think about that for a second.

We don’t have the means to acquire a running mate for Porzingis while teams like 6ers and Celtics have their Batman and Robin AND a slew of high lottery picks on the roster as well.

I’m tired of seeing other teams build dynasties while we’re still trying to find a head coach.

You are SO right shakes, so right!

Think of this....with all of the young talent that the 6ers have (and are soon to draft more), they needed solid shooters to open things up so they go out and get Reddick and Bellini.

....and they are just hitting their stride, just learning about how good they can be.
- Me being the resident optimist around this cesspool of doom and gloom, StevoStarks, circa 2019
dcapodic

Postby spree#8 » April 15, 2018, 3:50 pm

shakespeare wrote:New York doesn’t have the high lottery picks nor financial means nor “excitement in the air” to acquire a running mate for Porzingis.

shakespeare wrote:Think about that for a second.

We have all our future first-round picks and financial flexibility, so you should relax. We can make the right moves to build our own dynasty. They are ahead of us? So what? The Warriors are too. Doesn't mean that we can't build our own contender.
#knickstape
spree#8

Postby dcapodic » April 15, 2018, 5:09 pm

spree#8 wrote:
We have all our future first-round picks and financial flexibility, so you should relax. We can make the right moves to build our own dynasty. They are ahead of us? So what? The Warriors are too. Doesn't mean that we can't build our own contender.

Not trying to be a negative Nellie here buuuuut.....

For al of our sucking and tanking this year, we are 1 slot ahead of 6ers in this years draft
Oh by the way they have another first round pick this year
They are doing this without much contribution yet from this years number 1 pick who is now healthy and showing signs of what he could turn into
They will have a nice chunk of free agent money to add to their talent for next season
Etc, etc, etc

We are hoping to find a new coach to start over with yet again, have our "star" coming off major knee surgery and our capped out if players exercise their options who, by the way are not worth their option money.

We have a whole lot of bad in front of us before we can even talk about being near the 6ers.
- Me being the resident optimist around this cesspool of doom and gloom, StevoStarks, circa 2019
dcapodic

Postby taowave » April 15, 2018, 7:02 pm

Spree, anything is possible, however improbable..

When was the last time we made the right MOVE,let alone moves..If KP is your answer,take note that he had a season ending ACL tear and has been injury prone.Lets HOPE for the best.

What makes you think we can replicate the "process" with the 9th pick on the draft??

Philly has a generational talent in Simmons,a number 1 pick,an injury prone close to generational talent in Embiid(number 1) and Fultz (number 1) who looks to be super talented...Add Saric,a slightly worse pick than us this year and that is the reality we are facing.. Not too mention,they tanked,when tanking paid dividends.

As you constantly say you are fine with the 9,10,11 pick on the draft, I don't see how you compete with a team that had multiple number 1's..

Are you saying we will get the very best free agent talent,assuming we stop overpaying mid level talent??

The Warriors drafted really well...They went after Curry when he wouldn't even work out with them.They drafted Klay and hit a massive home run with Green.They don't make stupid trades.They have Jerry West,we have Steve Mills..Durant jumped to the best team in basketball..Greg zMonroe spurned us...

Love your enthusiasm...

spree#8 wrote:
taowave

PreviousNext

Return to NBA