Worst Analysts In The NBA

Discuss matters related to other teams, players, and/or the league in general.

Moderators: wallace044, rtn393, Irv, cru77jones

Worst Analysts In The NBA

Postby shakespeare » May 16, 2012, 1:10 pm

10. Reggie Miller
I'm always going back and forth on whether or not I am fond of Reggie Miller as an analyst and a color commentator. I usually decide that he's fine as a part of a broadcast team, but when he's expected to analyze in a longer, more prepared format, he just doesn't translate. Miller is decent as a color man because he works well in the flow of the game, but when he's working as an analyst, whether it be appearing on ESPN or whatever, he always seems to sound ill-prepared and to be reading from a teleprompter.

9. Chris Mullin
This is a fleeting stop on this list for Chris Mullin, as he's making rapid improvements in front of the camera in his first year as an NBA analyst for ESPN. He's gotten a fair amount of time as a color commentator in games here and there, which has helped him improve immensely from the nervous, boring guy that he was near the beginning of his television career. Still, Mullin seems to be a bit shaky from time to time when he's on SportsCenter and has some troubles going off script, but he's getting there quicker than others have in the past.

8. Ric Bucher
I've always been a fan of Ric Bucher the "NBA Insider" and Ric Bucher the breaker of trades, but when Bucher ends up on television breaking down a game—or worse, on the sidelines as the ever-useless sideline reporter—it takes a turn toward unbearable. Bucher has always had that smug look about him, which I can easily get over if he ends up saying something insightful or important, but he almost never does when breaking down a game. He seems to always keep from digging too deeply in the analysis of any given game, which makes it seem like he isn't trying as hard as he could be.

7. Jalen Rose
Jalen Rose seems to be constantly bouncing around from show to show as an NBA analyst. I think it's because once he gets to a new show, the people there start to realize that he's not actually any good. As a part of 1st and 10 (on the off chance that Skip Bayless doesn't run me away from that show as soon as I turn the television on), he always seems to be on the losing end of the argument, even when the guy he's arguing with is spewing vitriol from every orifice.

6. Chris Broussard
Normally, I am one to defend Chris Broussard. I think he gets a bad rap for what he does for ESPN as a rumor hound, and he's actually a smart basketball mind. But there is one thing that I cannot stand about seeing this man gracing my television set; there is not a person on TV with a more grating, ear-splitting voice. Usually, I can get past an annoying voice if what the voice is saying makes sense, but Broussard's voice box sounds like it's a balloon constantly releasing air.

5. Magic Johnson
I don't think Magic Johnson will ever be a good analyst. He'll just be slightly less bad every year that he stays on camera. Johnson is horrible at talking off the top of his head, constantly stumbling over his words, and somehow, he's even worse at reading a teleprompter. Basically, if you want to know about Magic as an analyst, just watch this, and you'll know everything you need to know.

4. Jon Barry
Jon Barry has turned into the worst part of a boring quartet of analysts over on ESPN. ESPN's NBA Shootaround featuring Barry, Mike Wilbon, Magic Johnson and Chris Broussard comes at us from all angles with bad analysis. Wilbon is fine, but you get incoherent thoughts from Magic, a whiny, grating voice from Broussard and then generic comments from Barry that still manage to make him seem full of himself. Maybe they should just add Shaq to their team, and we can avoid all of our least-favorite analysts in one fell swoop.

3. Doris Burke
Doris Burke is gradually starting to make me cringe less every time I hear her voice, but it's an extremely slow process. As an NBA analyst, not much can be said about Burke. I never really disliked her as a sideline reporter, but then again, the sideline reporter job is so hard to screw up that you'd have to be Shaq to mess it up (actually, Shaq would probably be pretty entertaining as a sideline reporter). I'm not sure if she'll ever approach respectability as an analyst, but I know it's going to take a whole hell of a lot of baby steps for her to get there.

2. Shaquille O'Neal
Hey, would you look at that? Shaq isn't the worst. It's been said many times over the past five months, but the worst trade of the offseason was when Inside the NBA flipped Chris Webber for Shaquille O'Neal. At this point, I'm still trying to figure out what exactly it is that makes Shaq so bad, and I've gotten it narrowed down to one thing: everything he does. Shaq is still a mumbler, although they seem to have gotten him to enunciate more as the season has gone along. And he's an attention hog, as seen from his constant outbursts during highlights. Beyond that, Shaq has his unintentionally funny moments, which I once thought would be enough to make up for his terrible on-camera presence. I was wrong.

1. Stephen A. Smith
Stephen A. Smith is the bane of my existence. The fact that he was once a semi-respectable sports journalist is just baffling to me. At this point, Smith is valuable to ESPN for one thing and one thing only: He is the best person on that network at getting Skip Bayless riled up, and that means bad news for the rest of us. When he's not spouting off about this or that with Bayless in his ever-so-abrasive manner, he's on ESPN as an over-glorified analyst while doing little more than anybody with a half-decent knowledge of basketball could do. He had a show canceled once by ESPN. Let's just hope that it happens again sometime soon.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1185 ... game-today

Wholeheartedly agreed on Stephen A. Smith. Unless the guy is talking New York Knicks basketball I honestly cannot sit and listen to hardly anything he says. Besides the trademark screaming, I've also grown tired of the fact that just about everything sounds so apocalyptic in nature. Also, when he defended Skip Bayless's usage of "Bosh Spice."

Jalen Rose does have his moments, but like Shaquille O'Neal, I find him entertaining. I have no problems with Broussard, even when he's digging the Knicks grave it seems. Reggie Miller shouldn't be on the list, at all. Doris Burke and Jeff Van Gundy, (another one of my favorites) should work all Knick games as a team - pure comedy.
The Porzingis blessing is real.
#TeamTank
shakespeare
Writer

Re: Worst Analysts In The NBA

Postby StevoStarks » May 16, 2012, 1:23 pm

I love Doris Burke too. In fact, she may sound smarter than this entire list of commentators. She's got a pretty sound basketball mind. I think she gets some hate because she's a woman, but I actually am happy when she gets a Knicks' game.

I'm with you Shakes in regards to Stephen A. He sucks. Yelling at the tv doesn't make you smarter.

I also love that Ric Bucher was pointed out for how bad he is at sideline reporting. He is the worst I have ever seen. He asks the worst questions, he stumbles over his words and he's as dull as they come.
"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
- Dr. Seuss

"Woody was the perfect coach for these mutts."
- taowave

"Is he REALLY injured?? A part of me doesnt believe that he is and I think he's just being a bitch. Bitch-nani."
- rynyk222
StevoStarks
Writer

Postby Nononsense » May 16, 2012, 1:27 pm

Shaq is easily the worrst analyst in the NBA. And I know, he's just there for humor like Barkely, but Shaq isn't even funny on the TNT set. He's just horrible. He should really find some team in need of a big man coach/mentor. He'd be much more needed there.
Nononsense

Postby SALfromNY » May 16, 2012, 1:27 pm

I dont think Bucher should be on the list.

I hate Jon Barry. He's a total douchebag.
SALfromNY

Postby Nononsense » May 16, 2012, 1:44 pm

Yeah,actually both Jon Barry and Brent Barry would be first and second respectively on my Hate list, but this is a "Worst" list. Although Jon and Brent are pretty horrible, Shaq is worse than both of them if we be honest.
Nononsense

Postby thewatcher » May 16, 2012, 1:45 pm

Yeah Shaq is by far the worst. Im entertained by Stephan A Smith.
n8 the gr8 wrote:
The first rule of NYKFP is you don't talk about NYKFP.
thewatcher

Postby Nononsense » May 16, 2012, 1:48 pm

I'll tell you who could be a great analyst one day: David Lee. Seriously, this dude has very good speaking skills and seems naturally comfortable in interviews. Maybe in 10 years or so after he retires, I'll dig this post up and say, "Told yall". :)
Nononsense

Postby Irv » May 16, 2012, 1:57 pm

Where's Mike Breen on this list?
Irv
Administrator

Postby H20Knick » May 16, 2012, 2:27 pm

I like steven A, too.

Can't stand jon barry or reggie miller though
Fort Knox. Hard Knox. Knock Knox. It doesn't matter. Hall of Fame in 20.

2018 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition CHAMPION
2015 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition CHAMPION
H20Knick

Postby nbafreak724 » May 16, 2012, 2:31 pm

Seems like a pretty accurate list. Can't say I enjoy any of those people. Shaq was a bad addition to TNT, he can be funny at times but most of the time he's just awkward.

I'll add
Wilbon, Barkley (his basketball knowledge isn't that great sometimes but I love him on TNT just for the lulz), and Bruce Bowen to the list of worst as well.

Best:
Kenny Smith - he actually knows what he's talking about, I think he's a great analyst. Makes up for the two gigantic idiots sitting next to him on the set.
Chris Webber - surprising, but he's actually pretty good doing the color commentary lately
Mike Fratello - he's a bit crazy sometimes but I enjoy when he does games for the most part, hes pretty funny too
Van Gundy - my man
Hubie Brown - mainly on this list because he loves the Knicks

As you can see, ESPN has only two guys (JVG and Hubie) who I can actually bear listening to. All of their analysts suck, Tim Legler is okay I guess but nothing special.
"Come at the king, you best not miss."
nbafreak724

Postby shakespeare » May 16, 2012, 3:01 pm

StevoStarks wrote:I love Doris Burke too. In fact, she may sound smarter than this entire list of commentators. She's got a pretty sound basketball mind. I think she gets some hate because she's a woman, but I actually am happy when she gets a Knicks' game.

I couldn't agree w/ you more.

Doris Burke is a breath of fresh air, imo, and I believe any negativity surrounding Burke is due to her being a woman.
#TeamTank
shakespeare
Writer

Postby bobhait » May 16, 2012, 5:09 pm

Irv wrote:Where's Mike Breen on this list?

you know it's bad when Reggie Miller has more fair and balanced (and at times even compassionate) commentary regarding the Knicks than their main play-by-play guy and a supposed long-time fan.
Hornacek Era prelude
bobhait

Postby knicksH20 » May 17, 2012, 9:27 am

I really hate Mike Breen. I actually might stand outside MSG one of these days w/ a large poster saying "i HATE YOU MIKE BREEN." no joke.
One Team. One New York.

Jamal Crawford
His Crawfulness!
knicksH20

Postby Nononsense » May 17, 2012, 10:53 am

I understand the Breen hate... I really do. But the thread title is "Worst" analyst, not most annoying or most hated. Granted, Breen doesn't really do a bang-up job on his analysis (or lack thereof), but no way is his analysis worse than Shaq's... no way.
Nononsense

Postby knicksH20 » May 17, 2012, 11:05 am

he TOO is a horrible analyst. "...and JUST like THAT, the point difference is 4!". It never happens "just like that" Breen. You're retarded.
One Team. One New York.

Jamal Crawford
His Crawfulness!
knicksH20

Postby Mr. Glass » May 17, 2012, 1:47 pm

I actually like Jalen Rose.
"Mother said render you unconscious. I'm going to render you unconscious." LL Cool J
Mr. Glass

Postby shakespeare » May 17, 2012, 7:52 pm

This is exactly why Stephen A. Smith irks me. Here, amid being suspended for an entire year w/o $3 million paycheck, Saints LB Johnathan Vilma files a lawsuit against NFL Commissioner Goodell basically proclaiming innocence and wondering how does Goodell impose himself as both judge and jury w/o presenting concrete evidence! Yet, Smith claims Vilma is nothing more than a fool. Are you kidding me? http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/79426 ... defamation

Smith states Vilma should've addressed his name being mentioned, beforehand, but why should he when the accused is innocent until proven guilty. If that isn't enough, Smith offers Goodell the benefit of the doubt ... although Goodell previously refused to present evidence.
#TeamTank
shakespeare
Writer

Postby Mase in your face » May 17, 2012, 8:59 pm

Bucher and Chris Mullin don't deserve to be on that list.

Doris is a good sideline reporter like the snippet said, but her calling games is the worst.

edit: it's bleacher report. who fucking cares. better off making our own list.
RIP Anthony Mason 2-28-2015
Mase in your face

Postby Adi » May 18, 2012, 12:32 am

Obviously the creator of the list has never had the displeasure of listening to Jamele Hill and Cheryl Miller talk about sports. They should share the #1 spot.

Stephen A. Smith is fantastic and always entertaining, I can understand why people would hate him, but I definitely don't.

Shaq sucks on Inside the NBA, they need to take him off promptly.

Reggie Miller pissed me off during the dunk contest a couple years back when he would just put down every single dunk right after the player dunked it. It's understandable to critique the dunk, but doing it immediately afterward is just a buzzkill.

Chris Webber is slowly becoming one of my favorite color commentators, he's doing a great job.
I do that to stay closer to God

-Stephon Marbury
Adi

Postby mikeaman » May 18, 2012, 12:53 am

Clyde may be a Knick legend but the man is on autopilot.
Knicks 2011.
mikeaman

Next

Return to NBA