Around the NBA 2018-19

Discuss matters related to other teams, players, and/or the league in general.

Moderators: wallace044, rtn393, Irv, cru77jones

Re: Around the NBA 2018-19

Postby shakespeare » January 5, 2019, 10:13 am

Paul George might be experiencing his best season in the league. Hard to believe he snapped his leg a few years ago.
#TeamTank
shakespeare
Writer

Postby taowave » January 5, 2019, 11:03 am

No need to defend yourself.I know you are a good writer.I know you are a knowledgeable poster.You came after me unprovoked,and I love a good brawl.Dont take anything I say personally.

You LIKE Hardaway/Mudiay at 30 mil..

I would rather have Dinwiddie/Harris at 19 mil...

Not sure why that gets your panties all bunched up

shakespeare wrote:Irv and Linda, two people with functioning brains, said I was a good writer. Isa Soulstar, a respected gentleman and friend, uttered those same words. Tommy Dee, a beat writer for the Knicks, once asked me to join his team. These are compliments from long-time NYKFP members. I could give you some feedback from college professors and academic writers alike but nah.

I believe I’m a good writer which, in the end, is all that counts.

BTW, can you do math?
taowave

Postby Don Che » January 6, 2019, 5:44 am

Tao which Harris are you referencing?
Don Che

Postby taowave » January 6, 2019, 8:44 am

LOL!!!!Joe Harris..Is there another one?

You have to watch him play,hes not just another "Steve Novak"...

Hardadway is a really good player on bad Teams...Poor shot selection,streaky,not efficient,not great on D...He would not be a high usage guy on a really good squad....Could be a good sixth man on a good club...

Theres a reason the Net are looking decent with Levert out and Rudion Kurics starting....

Russel is finally getting his act in gear,and Dinwiddiwe/Harris are really good

Joe Harris is establishing himself as a clutch player for the Brooklyn Nets.

Harris is having a career year and has emerged as one of the most important pieces in Brooklyn’s success.

Similar to Spencer Dinwiddie, Harris caught the eye of Brooklyn general manager Sean Marks. One of several castoffs scooped up by Marks, Harris has completely transformed his game in his time with Brooklyn.

Harris has emerged as one of the league’s premier sharpshooters this season, posting a career-high 48.3 percent from beyond the arc, the third-best percentage in the league.

Harris has developed a quick release that allows him to get shots off in extremely tight windows. Quickly curling off of screens with an understanding of his surroundings, Harris has consistently knocked down difficult catch and shoot threes with several hands in his face.

“Everybody just does a good job moving the ball, giving up good shots for great shots, it makes it an easy game,” Harris said on the YES Network broadcast following Wednesday’s 126-121 win over the Pelicans.

While Harris has been a lethal threat from deep, he has become much more than a shooter for Brooklyn.

In his first year with the Nets, Harris was strictly a 3-point shooter. He rarely drove to the basket, seldom grabbed an offensive rebound and was frequently beaten on the defensive end.

The University of Virginia product showed enough improvement in these areas last season to warrant being re-signed to a two-year, $16 million free agent contract in July.

Now in his third season with the Nets, Harris is excelling in each of the areas that were once absent from his makeup as a player.

He now drives to the basket with confidence, finds easy layups off of quick cuts through the lane, consistently hustles for key offensive rebounds and is no longer a liability on defense.

Harris worked extremely hard with the Nets’ strength and conditioning coaches to revamp his body to add much-needed quickness. This newfound first step allows Harris to blow by defenders off of overzealous closeouts and gain separation when running off screens for open 3s.

The third-year Net has also developed crafty moves around the rim that allow him to finish consistently from all angles. Harris has a dexterity when driving to the hoop that enables him to create shots in a variety of ways.

Marks and head coach Kenny Atkinson have preached the importance of building a culture and identity since their opening days in Brooklyn. That identity would be a team that plays their hardest each night and constantly works to improve, never being satisfied.

Harris embodies this identity.

The 27-year-old plays every game as if it were Game 7 of the NBA Finals. He consistently makes hustle plays in the closing minutes of tight games that are often overlooked.

A constant theme for Brooklyn this season has been their lack of a closer. While Harris is not a star, he has fearlessly taken the role of the closer on numerous occasions for this young Nets team.

In a Dec. 26 double-overtime win over Charlotte, Harris nailed game-tying 3s on back-to-back possessions in the final 1:13 of the fourth quarter. He also came up with the game-winning steal and layup with 3.4 seconds left in the second overtime.

In Wednesday’s win over New Orleans, Harris halted a 15-1 Pelicans run with a layup off a beautiful cut at the 4:50 mark. The guard then grabbed a key offensive rebound for a putback layup with 3:30 remaining.

With 35.6 seconds left, Harris drove to the rim to put the Nets up seven and close the game out.

These three plays were vital in holding off a surge by the Pelicans that cut a 21-point second half lead down to five. The shooting guard finished with 21 points on 9-of-16 shooting from the field.

Harris has played a huge role in the Nets’ recent success, averaging 15.6 points per game in Brooklyn’s last 11 contests.

[b]Despite being a 3-point shooter, Harris’ biggest plays are often made on drives to the basket, cuts without the ball or offensive rebounds for putbacks. Nets fans have become accustomed to these under-the-radar hustle plays at key moments in close games.

The nature of Harris’ game often does not garner widespread recognition. There is nothing flashy about Harris as a player. He does what it takes to win and he does it on a nightly basis.
[/b]

Harris has made his way from a D-League player to one of the best 3-point shooters in the league and a key component in the Nets’ success. He is yet another shining example of the outstanding work being done by Brooklyn’s front office and player development staff.

Wednesday’s win brings the Nets to 18-21 and they remained a half-game out of eighth place in the Eastern Conference.

Don Che wrote:Tao which Harris are you referencing?
taowave

Postby Don Che » January 7, 2019, 10:51 pm

umm devin....tobias?

you didn't need to defend it..just had to kno who it was lol

and I'd take him over Tim no doubt...one of the better shooters out there
Don Che

Postby taowave » January 8, 2019, 10:15 am

As long as Tim carries his scorers mentality,he's best as a 6th man..

On a good squad,we need a 3 and D or a facilitator at the 2.Tim is neither.

Don Che wrote:umm devin....tobias?

you didn't need to defend it..just had to kno who it was lol

and I'd take him over Tim no doubt...one of the better shooters out there
taowave

Postby shakespeare » January 12, 2019, 2:37 am

James Harden is a badddd man.
#TeamTank
shakespeare
Writer

Postby ISIAH_THOMAS » January 12, 2019, 8:37 pm

TAKE THAT FOR DATA
ISIAH_THOMAS

Postby taowave » January 13, 2019, 6:08 pm

You are jealous???? Think how Atlanta must feel :happy:

Wouldnt hurt Frank to watch Doncic play

ISIAH_THOMAS wrote:https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iQm46JDbFws
Damn man I'm jealous
taowave

Postby taowave » January 14, 2019, 10:52 pm

Nets manhandled Boston tonight...Russel playing really well
taowave

Postby dcapodic » January 15, 2019, 2:11 am

taowave wrote:Nets manhandled Boston tonight...Russel playing really well

He has really been flying under the radar but is having a very good year....18/6/4....

I know people want to hate the Nets for whatever reason like they are some kind of enemy. I still remember them from the ABA days and with the Knicks where they are, I have been trying to watch more of the Nets. I can appreciate what the front office has done to build that team from nothing with literally zero of their own picks for what seems like forever!
- Thanasis Antetokounmpo spelled backwards is Opmnuokotetna (which is Swahili for Hand Sanitizer). Mr. Glass, circa 2014
dcapodic

Postby shakespeare » January 15, 2019, 4:39 pm

#TeamTank
shakespeare
Writer

Postby taowave » January 15, 2019, 5:56 pm

That's Doncics team..
I dont love DSj's game...
taowave

Postby shakespeare » January 16, 2019, 9:14 am

Agreed, it’s over for DSJ in Dallas.

And I love how Cuban dangled him out there, but with a contract he’s trying to rid the payroll of.
#TeamTank
shakespeare
Writer

Postby shakespeare » January 16, 2019, 9:19 am

Warriors scored NBA-record 51 points in the first quarter:

https://www.si.com/nba/2019/01/15/warri ... es-nuggets
#TeamTank
shakespeare
Writer

Postby Koopa Troopa » January 16, 2019, 11:54 pm

Nets Rockets was nuts.... Broke the NBA record for threes attempted. Dinwiddie 3 threes in a row to force OT. More clutch play in OT. Great game. Harden had like 55 or something too, and he did it very casually.
Koopa Troopa

Postby taowave » January 17, 2019, 8:25 am

Allen wirh 21 pts and 24 boards..
Dinwiddie had 25 in the 4th/overtime..
Nets are at .500 with a bunch of no names..

Shakes,not busting your balls,but you should check the Nets out..They have really made the most with less..

Dinwiddie can play

Koopa Troopa wrote:Nets Rockets was nuts.... Broke the NBA record for threes attempted. Dinwiddie 3 threes in a row to force OT. More clutch play in OT. Great game. Harden had like 55 or something too, and he did it very casually.
taowave

Postby dcapodic » January 17, 2019, 9:06 am

Koopa Troopa wrote:Nets Rockets was nuts.... Broke the NBA record for threes attempted. Dinwiddie 3 threes in a row to force OT. More clutch play in OT. Great game. Harden had like 55 or something too, and he did it very casually.

If you can't enjoy a game like this one was, I wonder if you really like bball.

How many times did it look like the Rockets had this game iced only to have the Nets shoot themselves back into it.

Who are these guys?!?

Yea, people will respond by saying they are not gonna go anywhere but for me, just to see some exxciting bball like this is enough for now, I'd take it!
- Thanasis Antetokounmpo spelled backwards is Opmnuokotetna (which is Swahili for Hand Sanitizer). Mr. Glass, circa 2014
dcapodic

Postby taowave » January 17, 2019, 9:50 am

What's interesting is they only had one free agent "splash", and that was Crabbe who is mediocre at best..

Dinwiddie,Levert,Allen,Harris and the Euro Kurics were all relatively unheralded players who are pretty dam good 2 way players..and who is this guy Graham??? Where did he come from..

Gping to be interesting what they do with Russel.
taowave

Postby dcapodic » January 17, 2019, 12:24 pm

taowave wrote:What's interesting is they only had one free agent "splash", and that was Crabbe who is mediocre at best..

Dinwiddie,Levert,Allen,Harris and the Euro Kurics were all relatively unheralded players who are pretty dam good 2 way players..and who is this guy Graham??? Where did he come from..

Gping to be interesting what they do with Russel.

Exactly! I had to look up Graham also. Crabbe was a swing and miss.

If you wanted to extrapolate it to the Knicks situation....the Knicks are doing similar things in getting guys like Mudiay, Von and Burke as well as Trier....plus we have have been drafting high and will be at/near the top of the draft this year.

The Nets are showing you can build something from literally nothing and the KNicks have way more to work with so even if you don't like the Nets, look at what can become if you build a front office that knows what they are doing. Some people would say the Nets are cuttng off their nose to spite their face by winning this year and dropping their draft position in a year when they actually have their pick but I woiuld disagree with that. They have a good young core and money to spend. Making the playoffs this year and showing what they are building in their core is very good incentive when trying to attract free agents as well as getting your youngs guys that experience. Plus, they have shown they can hit on lower picks already.
dcapodic

PreviousNext

Return to NBA