Who If Not Zion?

Discuss NCAA and international hoops and scout and evaluate players for the NBA Draft.

Moderators: wallace044, rtn393, Irv

nazrmohamed
Likes given: 246

thewatcher wrote:Culver>>Barrett
I'm not gonna say hes a better player but he may be the better fit. Defense and shooting, our two major holes. Culver would fill both of them.

RJ is more of a Alnzo Trier who can average 20 rather than 12 type of player for me. Probably looked alittle bette when I thought Ntilikina was gonna be my PG. Now since the Knicks seemingly want high usage attackers at PG perhaps a guy who'll defend and shoot off of them makes sense. I just wanted more than a D3 SG.
Don Che
Likes given: 9

Culver has ways to go in his jumper as well
nazrmohamed

Don Che wrote:Culver has ways to go in his jumper as well
Don Che wrote:Culver has ways to go in his jumper as well
Oh he does but his form is way better, the way he moves to get his shot is better. His entire off ball game is just better.

That doesnt mean he IS better just that within his skillset he knows what to do and how to do it, just like within RJs skillset he knows how to attack. Both could learn from eachother. Hell they'd be a perfect offsetting pair tbh.

This tournament has made me doubt just about everybody at this point. Maybe a trade with Atlanta dont sound as dumb as I thought a week ago.
Don Che

that just means RJ has dropped a notch
cragganmor
Likes given: 93

JMO, but Z, Ja & Culver are better.

With his ability and Zion's talents, RJ wasn't able to get Duke past an M State team without any legit first round talent.
Don Che

idk why I just see RJ having a higher ceiling than JC and I really cant say why I think that just off the eye test

JC is strictly a 2 IMO I would be much more confident if he was a better shooter but he def has more of a perimeter based game
nazrmohamed

cragganmor wrote:JMO, but Z, Ja & Culver are better.

With his ability and Zion's talents, RJ wasn't able to get Duke past an M State team without any legit first round talent.
But why does that not change your opinion of Zion?

I don't actually want you to change your opinion of Zion just trying to show the double standard. Lots of great NBA players got beaten by mid majors in the first round, lots of NBA players lost in the second round. But RJ and RJ alone loses draft stock because they lost to Michigan State, a team that is almost always in the final 4. I mean, its your opinion but you shoulda had that opinion before this game is all Im saying. This game changes nothing for me. If anything his stock might've dropped last game vs Vtech in the win more than this game.
cragganmor

RJ averaged 18.5 shots per gm with 45% fg. Z was an astounding 68% fg on 13.2 shots. RJ runs the offense, so with the season on the line, how do you not get Z the ball? He was 10-19, killing the Spartans; Barrett 7-17, there's a real disparity.

Z did everything to get his team to win, but the guy running the offense barely got him the ball in the last ~5 mins.
Don Che

plus his defense is pretty bad

Culver is a beast on that end
StevoStarks

Want to see something crazy? NBADraft.net has Culver going 11.

Granted this was published on 3/27, but I still think they must have been high as balls to type that:

https://www.nbadraft.net/2019mock_draft
"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
- Dr. Seuss

"Woody was the perfect coach for these mutts."
- taowave

"Is he REALLY injured?? A part of me doesnt believe that he is and I think he's just being a bitch. Bitch-nani."
- rynyk222
cragganmor

i'd think that they need to revisit that after the tourney is over; the future is unwritten. :LOL:
Don Che

this is just a bad draft

but I'll say this...I think Ja is the type of player that makes our other weapons better....i just dont think hes a weapon himself as a scorer in the league yet but Dot/Knox/Mitch/Vonleh/Frank would all look better...trade Dennis for any pick possible

his defense is the real question mark.

whoever is the better defender btwn rj and ja I'd take

unless Culver becomes a lights out shooter
cragganmor

Don Che wrote:this is just a bad draft

but I'll say this...I think Ja is the type of player that makes our other weapons better....i just dont think hes a weapon himself as a scorer in the league yet but Dot/Knox/Mitch/Vonleh/Frank would all look better...trade Dennis for any pick possible

his defense is the real question mark.

whoever is the better defender btwn rj and ja I'd take

unless Culver becomes a lights out shooter
:thumbsup:

Yep, I think that's the driver for Culver's stock; if he closes his ncaa career with dominating performances, he's gonna rise to #2.

Ja made his team so much better; they were punching way above their weight and finally ran out of gas against the length and athleticism of FSU.
Don Che

yup vision and rebounding along with tools translate well but scoring wise he wont be impactful till he shoots the 3 well.

also if KD and Kyrie are here....we are either going Zion or Culver.
Don Che

looking at Embiid and Giannis .....is anyone in this draft imposing and skilled for their position at at spot?

I say this because Embiid was top 5 and GF was mid 1st

at this time in GF's class no one saw this coming

who's your favorite super elite tools to position type player in this draft?

I think of Reddish or KZ can play the 2...maybe even Culver since hes 6'7 at the 2 spot ...idk
cragganmor

I think Kevin Porter Jr qualifies. The footage of him dominating U18s and the handful of USC games before he got suspended showed what a crafty swing he is. Dunno what he did but the talent, skills are undeniable; hope he's not a meathead. Likely slotted to that 20-30 range.

Don Che

yeh he def has all the potential but he doesnt know how to actually play yet....he has NBA packaging just no substance of a game at this point.

has all the tools to be a top SG in the league but he will end up in the JR Smith teir of guys that will obviously not maximize those tools because of lacking the intangibles and fundamentals

Jamal Crawford and Nate have taken him under their wing and hopefully they keep him in check. if he goes to a team with structure and the right coach to reach him he has a chance to be real good
cragganmor

Funny, but did we all start taking Zo for granted? He needs to get physically stronger. That will help his D and keep him healthier, finish through contact. I'd think he's gonna spend all summer get comfortable with playmaking. DSJ, Frank and Mud all just come up short.