2018 Draft Discussion

Discuss NCAA and international hoops and scout and evaluate players for the NBA Draft.

Moderators: wallace044, rtn393, Irv

cragganmor
Likes given: 93

Should check out deandre hunter, a red shirt frosh out of uva who stunned Louisville last night. 6'7" with a 7'2" wingspan, smooth 3 pt shot, lockdown potential and defends multiple positions. Dunno if he's entering the draft but a guy to look out for.
Don Che
Likes given: 9

yeh hes def staying in VA...wish he was declaring
nazrmohamed
Likes given: 246

cragganmor wrote:Check out Melvin Frazier, a 6'6" sf with 7'3" wingspan, great motor and quicks from Tulane:

Besides a lockdown defender, he's also efficient, 58% fg overall, 40% from the arc, 3 apg. A versatile and complete player
Damn, haven't seen defensive footwork like that since Anunobe who I must plug. Started off slow and now getting huge minutes on Toronto. Good find and as Don said if we can find in the second round I'd be happy.
cragganmor

yeah, i like og, too. he's figured out how to help his team and he's the difference maker on d; helps valanciunas by being able to collapse into the paint and recover quickly.

hunter could be the next og, but more skilled.
thewatcher
Likes given: 2608

Gus Johnson and Bill rafferty announcing Georgetown st John's. Ponds is special.
n8 the gr8 wrote:
The first rule of NYKFP is you don't talk about NYKFP.
cragganmor

Jessie Govan is an interesting talent, could be a quality player.
thewatcher
Likes given: 2608

^^ yeah he's a load who can shoot, looks like a lottery pick to me. If we can get Ponds with a second rounder, that would be great.
n8 the gr8 wrote:
The first rule of NYKFP is you don't talk about NYKFP.
nazrmohamed

Something that should be of note

The Clippers, 76rs AND Suns have 2 first round picks this year and none have a later pick than 20. So we're talking about 2 prospects from 11-20. I might be enticed to trade back.

So assuming this were how it went down
www.nbadraftroom.com/p/2018-nba-mock-draft.html?m=1

We could end up with
Clippers-Young/JPorter or Williams or Musa
76rs-Knox/KThomas or so many decent players in that range
Suns- you get the point.
rebound
Likes given: 1102

i think the guys availabel at 8 or 9 are worth keeping: mikal bridges, collin sexton
TOM THIBODEAU'S NEW YORK KNICKS PRESENT:
HEROBALL. A STORY OF THE MID RANGE FADEAWAY JUMPER.
STARRING JALEN BUMSON AND DUBIOUS HANDLES.
Mike1989
Likes given: 0

nazrmohamed wrote:Something that should be of note

The Clippers, 76rs AND Suns have 2 first round picks this year and none have a later pick than 20. So we're talking about 2 prospects from 11-20. I might be enticed to trade back.

So assuming this were how it went down
http://www.nbadraftroom.com/p/2018-nba- ... t.html?m=1

We could end up with
Clippers-Young/JPorter or Williams or Musa
76rs-Knox/KThomas or so many decent players in that range
Suns- you get the point.
If our favored players are not available at #9 because Ayton, Bamba, Jackson, Porter, Bagley, Young, Doncic and Mikal Bridges have all gone, then I would like to think that our front office consider trading back if that option is on the cards. If we could walk away from the draft with a combination like Miles Bridges/Kevin Knox and Troy Brown/Khyri Thomas, then I would be pretty happy with that duo because one of those forwards would likely have been the pick at 9 and we've gained another pick to boost our young roster with. So it's a win-win for us.
rebound wrote:i think the guys availabel at 8 or 9 are worth keeping: mikal bridges, collin sexton
I think a lot of it depends on how the draft falls. For example, let's say we pick 9 and the draft goes as follows (draft order based on league standings):

1. Doncic, Memphis
2. Ayton, Phoenix
3. Young, Orlando
4. Porter, Atlanta
5. Bamba, Cleveland
6. Jackson Jr, Dallas
7. Bagley, Sacramento
8. Mikal Bridges, Chicago

At this point in time we would probably choose one of the following players:

- Colin Sexton, PG; Miles Bridges, SF/PF; Kevin Knox, SF/PF; Wendell Carter, PF/C

I'll be honest, that is not a massively appealing set of players because my favorites have already gone off the board. So I could be tempted by the Clippers offer because #11 and #17 might land us a decent combination. Let's say the Clippers have traded up to select Colin Sexton because they want to add their future stud point guard and the Hornets decide to draft Wendell Carter. So by trading back to #11 we get a player we would likely have selected at #9 (and even if the Hornets pick Knox or Miles, we could pick the remaining player or draft Carter who projects as a nice fit next to KP) and another pick that could turn into a player like Robert Williams (PF/C, Texas A&M), Troy Brown (SG, Oregon), Daniel Gafford (PF, Arkansas), or Khyri Thomas (SG, Creighton). That's two decent talents for the price of one decent talent.

The only time I wouldn't trade back is if one of the top seven prospects fell to us at #9. For example, if Trae Young is available I think we should select him and not think twice about it. If Bamba or Jackson fall for whatever reason, again we should select them and not think twice about it. However, if those players are off the board then I would be open to a trade back because we would still likely get one of the players we would have taken at #9 and added another pick to boost our young roster. Even if Mikal is available at #9 I would consider it if I felt certain that the Clippers and Hornets would not take him, but that's a bit risky. Essentially I think a trade back is an option if we remain at #9.
Don Che

id be miserable if the draft goes like that lol
NewlyKnicked
Likes given: 160

On another note, that must seem obvious to some of you and I knew that there were different rules in NCAA, but I never realized there were so many:
- 12-min quarters versus 20-min halves
- shot clock is 6s longer
- 3pt line is 4 feet closer to the basket
- paint is 4 feet wider in the NBA
- 5 fouls allowed
- defensive 3s
just to name a few

It results in quite different tactics which is detrimental to the players to adapt to the next level. Why do the NCAA and NBA get on the same page? Is their an effort towards that goal?

same thing with foreign leagues. I don't get why there are so many sets of rules for the same game...
2017 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion
2020 Co-NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion
2021 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion
Don Che

based on the draft going as Mike mentioned and picking from: Colin Sexton, PG; Miles Bridges, SF/PF; Kevin Knox, SF/PF; Wendell Carter, PF/C

i can't tell you who i'd pick...better yet im not sure if i'd even pick them lol
cragganmor

The big tourney will make/break some player profiles and some guys will really blossom just before the draft (like Donovan).
nazrmohamed

Don Che wrote:id be miserable if the draft goes like that lol
Me too because that means we're drafting Carter. I'd immediately be reaching out to the Clippers and 76rs to trading down.

Draft Miles and.....my scouting doesn't really extend too pick 18. You pick it.
noypi
Likes given: 24

rebound wrote:i think the guys availabel at 8 or 9 are worth keeping: mikal bridges, collin sexton
I'd take Sexton then worry about the guard logjam later. Gotta see what Mudiay and Burke can do next year. Then trade one and keep one. Gotta keep Frank, he just grew an inch and doctors said another inch is coming so he better work on his strength and body we got ourselves a guy who can play 1-3 with good versatility.

Also, with Oklahoma out of the tournament, some kid's stock is gonna rise and Young is gonna slip and we could very well pick him too.

Finally, better keep an eye on Orlando. They are likely gonna pick a pg and the best out there are Young and Sexton. Both pgs are not top 5 right now so Orlando could trade down to pick their pg and get some other assets on draft night.
“I’m still chasing a championship, I’m just chasing it here in New York,’’ Anthony said. “I’ve come to peace with that. I’m doing it in my own way on my own time.”

http://nypost.com/2015/10/27/greatest-c ... -with-nyc/
Don Che

cragganmor wrote:Jessie Govan is an interesting talent, could be a quality player.
Would take him in the 2nd round
cragganmor

Melvin Frazier just declared; didn't hire an agent, but I'd give him a tryout, have a long talk with him.
Don Che

i think he's getting drafted theres a lot of fluff talent out there...Melvin isnt polished but his talent is legit
cragganmor

He has the tools, especially the freak length and lateral quicks. Intangibles, definitely the high motor and air ethic. Made himself into a good shooter and his offensive skills are growing. Not flashy, but a guy that can grow into an NBA role. I think he'd be a fan fave quickly.