2016 Draft Discussion...

Discuss NCAA and international hoops and scout and evaluate players for the NBA Draft.

Moderators: wallace044, rtn393, Irv

KnicksFanInSouthFL
Likes given: 0

Since we don't have any picks this year I definitely won't be watching as many games this upcoming season. Matter of fact, I doubt that I'll ever be as invested in another draft class as I was for 2015, BUT then again Phil's Zen will probably secure us another draft pick outta nowhere for 2016.

That said, here are a few incoming Freshman guards to keep an eye on: Malik Newman, Isaiah Briscoe, Antonio Blakeney, and Dwayne Bacon. And my sleepers are Prince Ali and Corey Sanders.

Why so many guards? It's a guards league, plus I was a guard so I try to stay in tune with who's coming up next... :?
Is Melo-God Zen-o-phobic?
nazrmohamed
Likes given: 246

Yeah, Idk that this draft class is as good as the one we just had in terms of young phenoms so Im gonna be paying attention to alot of returning players. Chris Dunn who I think you introduced to us last year. I also like this C from Utah Poetl. But my favorite prospect is Carys Levert. The injury he suffered was unfortunate but he probably needed to stay in school an extra year anyway to clean some stuff up and get smarter. He's like a 6'7 Jamal Crawford at this point, where he can handle the ball and shoot and I wouldn't say he's a "defender" but his length at SG makes him an average one.
KnicksFanInSouthFL

Speaking of Dunn, think about what he and Ledo could've done together at Providence... It's a shame things didn't work out.

I like Dunn's game but his shoulder injuries have turned into a real issue (Caris Levert, also has the injury bug hanging over him), the proverbial Red Flag. And his draft stock has suffered over the last two season because of it. Hopefully, this season he'll be fully recovered.

As for the draft, on the surface it appears that this class is a lot less talented but with all the success Russell had last season is gonna have lasting effects in the NCAA's for years to come. He laid down the blueprint for all of the Freshman phenoms to follow, and if they don't already they're all gonna start believing they can duplicate what he did. And just like Thad Matta there will be plenty of coaches desperate enough to let 'em try.

Don't believe me, just watch. 8-)
cragganmor
Likes given: 93

yep, a lot of the excitement this year running up to the draft was because we had skin in the game. not the case this season, unless we pull off some trade, but even then the quick eyeball test says that it isn't as deep a draft. at best, we will be sniffing out the second round in a weak year. to get lucky, we need to find the guys that are flying under radar, not getting any attention but playing really well. the only need that i'd want to address in the draft is a swing. i'm sure though, that the knick talent scouts, especially clarence gaines will be shaking out every detail. one plus is that hernangomez's contract is up and can come over next year, could be a pretty good player.
Don Che
Likes given: 9

Curious to see how Isaiah whitehead will progress next year at Seton hall
KnicksFanInSouthFL

Considering Whitehead was a McDonalds All-American I expected more from him... :? But you're right the Pirates will need him to take on a bigger role in his Sophomore campaign.

I'm surprised you didn't mention anything about Delgado, he had the breakout Freshman season for the Pirates. His only problem is he doesn't have much upside but he is a strong rebounder and a solid defender.
Don Che

I think he's good but I'm with you in needing a guard.

Angel will play at SH as long as he can and be a rotation player in the league or a stud in europe id assume.

IW can be something serious...a kid thats willing to take and make shots is valueable plus he's a Brooklyn kid isn't he?

I couldnt stand Marbury..nor Sebastion..even Lance but I'd love to see a new york guard come here and make some noise.

esp since we have a 7'3 pf and a 6'4 PG we really need a combo guard thats flat out gonna be "im gonna drop 30 on you tonight" kinda mentality and if a new york kid to do that would be sick to watch.
KnicksFanInSouthFL

^^^
Yeah, I believe he's from Brooklyn he played at Marbury High/Lincoln.

And I don't necessarily believe that we need to draft a guard, I just listed those guys because I think they're gonna be the Russell-lite Freshman phenoms (must-see-TV) this season.
Don Che

I think we do...our front line has 4 guys on long term deals and set to be in the rotation.

Guard wise...we have 2. Gallo can be gone next year...same as ledo he may not be here this year. Jose is a solid vet and great back up. AA might be gone next year.

and outside of Melo...we really lack scoring a shot creator we have a bunch of system guys. A guard would that can score/defend would be welcomed.
cragganmor
Likes given: 93

we don't have a pick in the '16 draft but we should be looking to get a really good, young swing. taps and grant are keepers, but i wouldn't be surprised to see phil flip some assets.
KnicksFanInSouthFL

Don Che wrote:I think we do...our front line has 4 guys on long term deals and set to be in the rotation.

Guard wise...we have 2. Gallo can be gone next year...same as ledo he may not be here this year. Jose is a solid vet and great back up. AA might be gone next year.

and outside of Melo...we really lack scoring a shot creator we have a bunch of system guys. A guard would that can score/defend would be welcomed.
It's all irrelevant... We could just as likely add depth at the guard positions via trade, or through free agency during the next offseason.
Don Che

Free agency doesn't seem too strong guard wise...haven't checked in a couple weeks but the only guy I remember is mike Conley.

Trades....I'll assume that when that happens.

All of our long contracts are front court players. Except Grant. Robin /kp/Melo/quin .....next year we need an upgrade at the guard spot
KnicksFanInSouthFL

^^^
Tunnel vision like a mu'fucka...

Phil has already shown a propensity to make a trade if the situation presents itself, so I won't be surprised to see him make a few moves between now and the next offseason.

As for Conley, he might be one of the more popular guards in the '16 free agency but there's still plenty of other talented guards available (UFA/RFA), especially with dudes like: Bradley Beal, Rajon Rondo, Tony Wroten Jr, Terrence Ross, Greivis Vasquez, O.J. Mayo, Brandon Jennings, Eric Gordon, Jordan Clarkson, Kent Bazemore, and Evan Fournier, just to name a few worthy of consideration.
Don Che

Lol I'd rather get a player at a rookie scale then pay for those guys better yet I'd just keep afflalo if that's the case.

I'm a fan of Tony's talent
I'm a fan of Bradleys game but he's not the type of guard we need
And beal isn't going anywhere.

We both know we need a guard we just have diff ideas of how we get one. Better yet I'm not sure what we disagree on. I say draft a guard...u say trade for one. Who cares as long as we get a scorer on the perimeter
nazrmohamed

That's how I feel. Kfisf you said something in another thread that's telling. You said that the day Porzingis was drafted we entered the age of Porzingis. And while I'd hold my horses until he grabs mute than 6 boards a game, more and more Im looking to find guys in that age range. Draftees, rookie deals, guys just coming off of rookie deals.

Now all that runs the gamut of draft, trade, free agency. But point is we need to start looking at guys young enough for Porza to be a leader of. You never know, we drafted Porza so our desire is for him to be that. Could be done other young guy who emerges. It happens. Look at Lillard.
KnicksFanInSouthFL

^^^
I agree, getting young talent is the goal, where we get 'em isn't important...
KnicksFanInSouthFL wrote:... Bradley Beal, Rajon Rondo, Tony Wroten Jr, Terrence Ross, Greivis Vasquez, O.J. Mayo, Brandon Jennings, Eric Gordon, Jordan Clarkson, Kent Bazemore, and Evan Fournier...
Most of the dudes I just listed will either still be on their rookie deals or just coming off them, and being that most of 'em haven't exactly reached their full potential we'd have the luxury of signing 'em to respectable deals in the hopes that they reach that potential while playing alongside Grant and Porzingis.

A lot of things can change from now 'til the end of the upcoming season, so it's way too soon to be tryna limit our scope to the guard position, Don Che. :?
Don Che

This guy makes no sense....cries for Mudiay....then says its a guards league....then we draft a PF. Sign a center and sign a pf better yet 2 with dwill have Ur best player playing the 3/4.....I say we need guard

And guy says that's limiting a scope. Give me a break

Draft
Trade
Sign

IDC... we need a guard
KnicksFanInSouthFL

^^^
It is a guards league, and I wanted Mudiay because I think he was/is the best player from that draft class. And my opinion hasn't changed. But that's neither here nor there...

Grant and Calderon are both guards and under contract through the '16-'17 season (and beyond in Grant's case). Afflalo is a guard who took less money to come and play for us, he also has a player option in the second year of his deal. And then there's Galloway, another guard, who has a team option for the '16-'17 season. So, ya claim that we need to draft a guard or else sounds ridiculous. Not to mention it's dumb early. Like I said, a lot of things can change from now 'til the end of the upcoming season. And right now its August 1st...

We could use upgrades at EVERY position including Melo's, and whateva position Porzingis plays. I dunno how anyone could look at Kyle O'Quinn/Derrick Williams/Guillermo Hernangomez and be confident enough not to consider drafting another big in the upcoming draft. I mean, I like Lopez but it doesn't mean drafting a center isn't an option.

With your logic the Timberwolves should'nt have taken Towns simply because they already had Pekovic, Dieng, Bennett, and Garnett on the roster? Madness!!!
nazrmohamed

Don Che wrote:This guy makes no sense....cries for Mudiay....then says its a guards league....then we draft a PF. Sign a center and sign a pf better yet 2 with dwill have Ur best player playing the 3/4.....I say we need guard

And guy says that's limiting a scope. Give me a break

Draft
Trade
Sign

IDC... we need a guard
I think he makes perfect sense. I think what you're doing is mixing up what we need today for this years roster and what we need to do from a long term perspective. I thought this was a 2016 draft discussion which sort of morphed into a futures discussion. Of course we need a guard and by the time you finished typing your response....enter the machine. So we got that covered I suppose.

Now moving forward we need everything. Even PF isn't set in stone for me even with Zingers signing. I thought Channing Frye was awesome in his first year, second year not so much. Could even be that zinger is as awesome as we imagined but ends up being more of a C as he fills out. Ya never know. That's why me and KFISF are a bit more concerned with stockpiling talent everywhere as opposed to cherry picking by perceived positions of need.
Don Che

The day Sasha is the answer for your guard situation.... u mind as well not even play the season.

We need a productive young guard that can play well with Grant.

This year or next or year after that. Robin is 27 KP is the future... Melo is the present and they all have long term deals

Afflalo nor Sasha is the answer

Idea of just "stockpiling talent regardless of position" is a philly and Sacramento mind set. You get talent that can play well together