2019 Draft Discussion

Discuss NCAA hoops and player scouting for the NBA Draft from the college and international ranks.

Moderators: wallace044, rtn393, Irv, cru77jones

Re: 2019 Draft Discussion

Postby Don Che » April 10, 2019, 10:52 am

Thats true...and he went 5th in his draft right?

sounds about right....he was also a old freshman if im not mistaken like 21 or so.
Don Che

Postby cragganmor » April 10, 2019, 4:20 pm

He's been a difference maker for the Magic, does a bit of everything, whatever they need down the stretch.
cragganmor

Postby cragganmor » April 12, 2019, 5:20 pm

Louis King a 6'8" F with 7'1" wingspan from Oregon declared for the draft, will be hiring an agent. He played well down the stretch and in the tourney, has excellent promise as a D&3 wing.
cragganmor

Postby Don Che » April 13, 2019, 8:38 am

his ceiling is higher than just 3/D with solid tools...mentioned him earlier in the year as a trade later in the draft situation

if we draft Ja or sign Kyrie I'd trade Dennis for a later pick and consider him.

solid form/elite tools/solid handle
Don Che

Postby cragganmor » April 13, 2019, 1:01 pm

Yep, he's got a nice combo of floor and upside. Would love to get another 1st rounder. We need more long, athletic, skilled 2-way players and he fits the bill.

https://youtu.be/mvcC7Kzi_G4

I can see him at either wing spot, has versatility.
cragganmor

Postby Don Che » April 14, 2019, 9:43 am

agreed

thinking on how the game is played today and how Fiz wants to play

we really cant have too many 6'6 to 6'10 players that can dribble pass and shoot.

since we are so early in our build...I'm looking to have 3 positions ...PG/Wing/Center....and depending on the quality and skillset of the wings you get....you could start Frank but have a wing or 2 or even 3 that manage most of the playmaking and really be 4 wing players and Mitch.

the only box checked off ....is Center. everything else depends how the drafts goes and free agency. Could easily be:

Ja/Mario/King/Knox/Mitch.....would fit Fiz ideals ...could also throw KD in at either wing spot as well.
Don Che

Postby Don Che » April 14, 2019, 12:43 pm

Don Che

Postby big_j_NY » April 14, 2019, 3:44 pm

Don Che wrote:https://youtu.be/xaiYJpo2Gc8

build like this

This implies that current Knicks management have a decent eye for talent in the draft and undrafted free agents..........which so far have been 50/50 judging by this season and parts of last season.

If Perry enters the off-season going after a bunch of "me-first" talents again like he did in the last 12-16 months (trading for Mudiay last spring, drafting Knox, MLE exception on Hezonja, etc.), we're gonna have to start judging this guy a little bit more now alongside Mills whom was suspect from the beginning.
#EmbraceTheTankPERIOD

Hassan Whiteside wrote:I'm just tryin...tryin 2 really get my NBA 2K rating up
big_j_NY

Postby dcapodic » April 15, 2019, 1:16 am

- Thanasis Antetokounmpo spelled backwards is Opmnuokotetna (which is Swahili for Hand Sanitizer). Mr. Glass, circa 2014
dcapodic

Postby cragganmor » April 15, 2019, 10:23 am

Don Che wrote:https://youtu.be/xaiYJpo2Gc8

build like this

love that footage of TD mangling Manu's name :LOL:

Yeah, SAS has the right culture from ownership to front office to coaching staff to players.

If we can get that 2nd first round pick, I'd look at Belmont's Dylan Windler; a 6'7" lefty F with range and efficiency on his 3, great vision, smarts, rebounds the ball. Has a 6'11" wingspan. Reminds one of Gordon Hayward with a bit more shiftyness.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/pl ... ler-1.html

Here he is dropping 35 on Maryland in the tourney, also grabbed 11 boards:
https://youtu.be/U9etsY1DFJc

He's skinny at 200# but put him in the gym, add some muscle. I could see the Spurs picking him.
cragganmor

Postby StevoStarks » April 15, 2019, 1:34 pm

Hell yeah DCap! This is the smartest thing the Knicks have done in the past 2 decades.

We've been begging them to incorporate Ewing. And leave it to this new regime to implement it. When Fiz was bringing ex Knicks by to talk to the young team, I knew we had a coach and a front office that cared about the history of the organization.
"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
- Dr. Seuss

"Woody was the perfect coach for these mutts."
- taowave

"Is he REALLY injured?? A part of me doesnt believe that he is and I think he's just being a bitch. Bitch-nani."
- rynyk222
StevoStarks
Writer

Postby nazrmohamed » April 16, 2019, 7:12 am

Craggs asleep at the wheel. I rely on you for sleepers and had to learn about this on some other site which wont be named.......Miye Oni of Yale University. Full report on my desk by 3oclock.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jBOvEy5z55k

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wyCAkJkwYJU
Grady- Mario is the KD of tanking. Fiz got worried that playing Jordan would help the Knicks win, so he has to make sure Mario gets plenty of minutes.
nazrmohamed

Postby cragganmor » April 16, 2019, 11:50 am

He's a known entity, not particularly high on mocks. A very athletic, high motor 6'6" sg that projects as a D & 3 spot shooter. However his ceiling is limited by a basic, very right handed handle, limited vision at this time. He's slotted to the lower 2nd round to undrafted. Coach K loved this guy, had a lot of praise for him, but he had a poor showing vs. LSU in the 1st round of the tourney.
cragganmor

Postby cragganmor » April 16, 2019, 12:13 pm

Here's a sleeper. Marial Shayok from Iowa State, 6'6" knockdown shooter that has produced against tough competition in a major conference; 38.6% from the arc on 5.4 attempts per game, good defender, good rebounder and efficient inside the arc too. Played 3 yrs at UVA under Coach Bennett, has the defensive fundamentals and motor.
cragganmor

Postby NewlyKnicked » April 17, 2019, 10:12 am

2017 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion
NewlyKnicked

Postby StevoStarks » April 17, 2019, 2:15 pm

NewlyKnicked wrote:If things go wrong : https://theknickswall.com/rj-barrett-vs ... ks-debate/

Very interesting read and I find myself liking Culver more and more.

This blurb regarding Barrett's defense has me very concerned:

Harley: Defense and I.Q. are the areas where the largest gaps between the two prospects lie for me. R.J. straight up does not try on defense. Almost not at all. It’s astonishing how little he seems to care on that end. Below is one clip from a thread of five plays from one SINGLE game in which Barrett gives up on a play the exact moment he gets beat. It’s really alarming.

And it wasn’t just one game either. This happens multiple times every game. You could say he holds such a large offensive burden that he doesn’t have the energy to try on every possession, but Culver had the exact same usage and still managed to be one of the best defenders in the country.

And this just sums it up for me. They show so many heady, mental plays by Culver in this article. He's got the basketball brain as well as the skills.

Culver has shown so many skills that immediately translate to the NBA, and his I.Q. and mentality, as well as his developmental trajectory, make for a much higher floor and ceiling. I like your Khris Middleton comp a lot.
"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
- Dr. Seuss

"Woody was the perfect coach for these mutts."
- taowave

"Is he REALLY injured?? A part of me doesnt believe that he is and I think he's just being a bitch. Bitch-nani."
- rynyk222
StevoStarks
Writer

Postby Don Che » April 17, 2019, 8:06 pm

the more I see the playoffs....the more I consider taking Coby White over Ja maybe even RJ

most playoff teams players with high usage rates can shoot the ball...plus White is fast as all hell..physical and tall for his position
Don Che

Postby cragganmor » April 17, 2019, 8:19 pm

coby has tools and talent, that's for sure. i like his shiftyness with the ball and his versatility, completeness and makes the effort on d. while his overall fg% is nothing to write home about, he's only 19 and his supporting cast at unc was suspect. they needed him to take a lot of shots because he was the only player that could consistently create their own shot.

the one thing that gets me about him is the streakiness of his outside shooting; when he's on, he's pretty good. maybe he just needs to get in the gym, add some meat to that lanky 6'5" frame. but yeah, his quickness and length at his position are nba grade.
cragganmor

Postby cragganmor » April 17, 2019, 8:28 pm

yeah, stevo, rj is just a matador most of the time on d. doesn't slide that much to stay with his man. that's effort; he has the size, length and quickness.

on offense, i'm not a fan of him bullying his way to the cup trying to convert over the teeth of the defense. he'll have some success but the percentages will not be with him in the nba. he has to get more shifty, rely on guile instead of muscling his way in. generally, nba defenders are bigger, stronger, faster than ncaa, just not a recipe for success. he should be studying harden's moves morning, noon and night; both lefties with size/length but not exceptional speed or hops.
cragganmor

Postby Don Che » April 17, 2019, 9:28 pm

cragganmor wrote:coby has tools and talent, that's for sure. i like his shiftyness with the ball and his versatility, completeness and makes the effort on d. while his overall fg% is nothing to write home about, he's only 19 and his supporting cast at unc was suspect. they needed him to take a lot of shots because he was the only player that could consistently create their own shot.

the one thing that gets me about him is the streakiness of his outside shooting; when he's on, he's pretty good. maybe he just needs to get in the gym, add some meat to that lanky 6'5" frame. but yeah, his quickness and length at his position are nba grade.

and hes quick as hell....and is the best shooter in the lottery

just envision Coby in the same conference as Ja's and I'm sure he would drop 25 and I think he defends better than Ja and RJ.

great blend of shooting....passing...attacking the rim and he managed the game well as a freshman for a #1 ranked team

https://youtu.be/E5rGxJriw_U
Don Che

PreviousNext

Return to College Basketball and NBA Draft