[2023, Pre-Season Game 4] Wizards v Knicks, Wednesday 18 October, 7:30pm, MSG

Discuss New York Knicks news, current events, players, and history.

Moderators: wallace044, rtn393, Irv

spree#8
Likes given: 548

Gheppetto wrote: October 18th, 2023, 6:25 pm Quickley is Out for tonight.

Knicks have cut and waived Isaiah Roby and Jaylen Martin..

Happenstance or looming trade? Knicks open two roster spots, and claim Quickley is “nicked up”…
:? We still have to cut two more players or cut one and convert one to a two-way deal. No standard roster spot was created by the cuts, we are still over the regular season limit (17 guys under contract, 15 allowed).

So just the first cuts that had to be made.

Still under review: Arcidiacono, Jeffries, Washington, Brown and Toppin. Maybe even the other two-way guys Windler and Night.
These users liked spree#8’s post:
Gheppetto (October 19th, 2023, 9:53 am)
#knickstape
NewlyKnicked
Likes given: 165

Worrying because of how far we are from playing well in a game that was supposed to be a pseudo regular season game against a bad team.

Now, better now than later. We have a week or so before season start and it may be a positive kick in the groin type of wake-up call for a team who may have seen itself better than it is. We won’t go far if we don’t put 100%.

Grinders gotta grind
2017 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion
2020 Co-NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion
2021 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion
maxinquaye11
Likes given: 7

Re-watched the game again. I'm happy because there seems to be an emphasis on quick inbounding and outlet passing to the sidelines during transition. This to me is the key to high percentage fgs where the likes of RJ can thrive.

Pre-season is all about testing and establishing great starts in the first and the 3rd quarters which I believe happened . The rest of the game is giving bench players the opportunity to tryout in order to become part of the 2nd unit.

Barrett is fine as long as we don't expect him to take the next level anymore. He is who he is he just needs to be consistent. I'd rather have a consistent 18ppg RJ than a 20+ppg that is hot and downright cold the next 9 games or so.

I love McBride's defense but DVV's cerebral and dog play are undeniable. This guy is a killer.

We have a deep bench and this should force coach to consider having a 10man rotation instead of 9 especially at the the start of the regular season. I don't personally believe that shortening the rotation impacts winning at all but that's just me.

Randle's new clean cut hair looks terrific! Gives me the impression that he is a professional and is now all about taking care of business! He also appears to be faster and lighter. Quicker first step and all.

I'm pumped! Go Knicks!
These users liked maxinquaye11’s post:
Gheppetto (October 19th, 2023, 10:03 am)
 " Stat at 3 was code for Melo playing in the low post..." - n8 the gr8

"I don't ever wanna hear anyone bash max's 2 pg love again." - H20Knick

"Cant lie, he did play better off the bench." - nazrmohammed
bigjeep4
Likes given: 871

rebound wrote: October 18th, 2023, 9:57 pm if bumson shows up for most of the season, the knicks wont make the playoffs.

desperate leon better not trade any more first round picks.
:LOL:
Game 7 Knicks vs Lakers

“Red Holtzman: You know my mama wanted me to be a farmer.
Willis Reed: My dad wanted me to be a basketball player.
Red Holtzman: Well you're better than any player I ever had. And you're the best God damn Center I ever saw. Suit up.”
Gheppetto
Likes given: 1923

spree#8 wrote: October 19th, 2023, 3:42 am :? We still have to cut two more players or cut one and convert one to a two-way deal. No standard roster spot was created by the cuts, we are still over the regular season limit (17 guys under contract, 15 allowed).

So just the first cuts that had to be made.

Still under review: Arcidiacono, Jeffries, Washington, Brown and Toppin. Maybe even the other two-way guys Windler and Night.

Just going by what Macri reported.

Interesting.

Martin was on a two-way, but it’s a 2-year deal as @FredKatz pointed out today. As for Roby, there was some thought he might actually get time this season. So much for that.

Knicks now have 2 open roster spots plus 1 non-gtd contract (Jeffries) and an open 2-way.

https://x.com/jcmacrinba/status/1714751 ... RNuQQ1nEhQ
2022 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion (tied)
NYGM
Likes given: 510

maxinquaye11 wrote: October 19th, 2023, 7:30 am Re-watched the game again. I'm happy because there seems to be an emphasis on quick inbounding and outlet passing to the sidelines during transition. This to me is the key to high percentage fgs where the likes of RJ can thrive.

Pre-season is all about testing and establishing great starts in the first and the 3rd quarters which I believe happened . The rest of the game is giving bench players the opportunity to tryout in order to become part of the 2nd unit.

Barrett is fine as long as we don't expect him to take the next level anymore. He is who he is he just needs to be consistent. I'd rather have a consistent 18ppg RJ than a 20+ppg that is hot and downright cold the next 9 games or so.

I love McBride's defense but DVV's cerebral and dog play are undeniable. This guy is a killer.

We have a deep bench and this should force coach to consider having a 10man rotation instead of 9 especially at the the start of the regular season. I don't personally believe that shortening the rotation impacts winning at all but that's just me.

Randle's new clean cut hair looks terrific! Gives me the impression that he is a professional and is now all about taking care of business! He also appears to be faster and lighter. Quicker first step and all.

I'm pumped! Go Knicks!
I was about to ask if there were any positives to this game but this post answer some of that.

Hopefully that translates to the regular season.
spree#8

Gheppetto wrote: October 19th, 2023, 9:50 am Just going by what Macri reported.

Interesting.

Martin was on a two-way, but it’s a 2-year deal as @FredKatz pointed out today. As for Roby, there was some thought he might actually get time this season. So much for that.

Knicks now have 2 open roster spots plus 1 non-gtd contract (Jeffries) and an open 2-way.

https://x.com/jcmacrinba/status/1714751 ... RNuQQ1nEhQ
(Technically) not true, but probably just worded badly by Macri. The mentioned 5 guys in my post are on unguaranteed contracts (1) or training camp deals (4), so we could open three spots, if we waive everyone (going from 17 to 12), but right now we are still two over the limit (15), not under. And the two cuts have nothing to do with that logic by Macri, because Roby was on an unguaranteed contract himself and Martin just a two-way player.

So as I said: just the first necessary cuts. Nothing to see here. ;)

I have to admit: in my roster sheet, I have actually two open roster spots though, because I will update it with the guys earning the standard contracts once the final cuts are made or until we waive every training camp invite and sign another team's cut player(s). :D No need to get too attached to training camp invitees.
#knickstape
bobhait
Likes given: 65

my one takeaway from preseason: nobody got injured
These users liked bobhait’s post:
Rusty La Rue (October 22nd, 2023, 5:43 am)
sky’s the limit
spree#8

bobhait wrote: October 19th, 2023, 3:33 pm my one takeaway from preseason: nobody got injured
Yeah, not much to see here. Already doomed by the schedule: one game where your opponent sits 5 players, one game where you sit 5 players (both because of back-to-backs in the pre-season; who had that genius idea?), one other game where your starters don't play big minutes and one where probably every rotation player thinks "let's get over with this". From this article: https://nypost.com/2023/10/19/what-knic ... 24-season/
So my final impression on the preseason is a question: What are we doing here? Or, what’s the point?

Asked to sum up the preseason, Jalen Brunson cut to the chase.

“It’s over,” he responded.
Starters still looked ready to go. All have positive net ratings in their preseason time on the floor (Brunson +23.7, Robinson +9.4, Randle +8.7, Grimes +8.7 and Barret +3.6), but the bench sucked so far. Not THAT surprising though with only 12 guys on guaranteed contracts and the other nine guys trying to stick on the team. Lots of random line-ups.

Good thing is the continuity we have, so once the regular season starts, that bench unit will be cleaned up.
These users liked spree#8’s post:
Rusty La Rue (October 22nd, 2023, 5:43 am)
#knickstape
Rusty La Rue
Likes given: 819

Yeah let us all loose our shit over the pre-season games... Let us see where we are at 15-20 games into the season... and wait to draw any conclusions before that...
These users liked Rusty La Rue’s post:
rebound (October 23rd, 2023, 11:25 am)
2023 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion
2020 Co-NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion
"Everybody gets excited about youth except the coach, because he knows youth means mistakes, mistakes mean losses, losses means you're fired."
maxinquaye11

maxinquaye11 wrote: October 19th, 2023, 7:30 am Re-watched the game again. I'm happy because there seems to be an emphasis on quick inbounding and outlet passing to the sidelines during transition. This to me is the key to high percentage fgs where the likes of RJ can thrive.

I'm pumped! Go Knicks!
Quick inbounding check

DDv as starter check

Barrett consistent 18ppg instead of 20+ has become OG

Randle llooking like a professional and is all about the business check

Mcbride uncheck

10 man rotation because of Precious might not happen though. We’ll see!

Keep me Pumpin! Go Knicks!

nazrmohamed
Likes given: 258

We revived a preseason game? I don't understand
bobhait
Likes given: 65

nazrmohamed wrote: January 2nd, 2024, 10:15 pm We revived a preseason game? I don't understand
my man 2PGdamus got some predictions right that hit by January 1, so he had to flex :)
sky’s the limit
maxinquaye11

Mcbride check!

10man rotation check or uncheck? Hmm

maxinquaye11

Mcbride check

From 9man to 10man rotation check or uncheck?

What say you bobhait?

You dont have to worry about it naz (brunson voice) if you dont get it. Important thing is you now love the 2pg which seems to also be the direction of the FO given its trade targets

maxinquaye11

maxinquaye11 wrote: October 19th, 2023, 7:30 am Re-watched the game again. I'm happy because there seems to be an emphasis on quick inbounding and outlet passing to the sidelines during transition.

KILLER DDV! A dog I tell you! Grimes knew beforehand like we did. He was so pressured he couldn’t do squat and begged to come off the bench behind Donte.