Bigger role for Trier smaller role for Knox

Discuss New York Knicks news, current events, players, and history.

Moderators: wallace044, rtn393, Irv

cragganmor
Likes given: 93

Agree, we need to keep improving the talent and skill level among starters. Far from being over the talent acquisition phase.
NewlyKnicked
Likes given: 160

Can't wait for us to get good, so that we can actually choose to tank or not :LOL:
2017 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion
2020 Co-NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion
2021 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion
thewatcher
Likes given: 2608

n8 the gr8 wrote:
The first rule of NYKFP is you don't talk about NYKFP.
rebound
Likes given: 1102

nate robinson and david lee being at the game felt like a passing of the torch to this young knicks squad.
TOM THIBODEAU'S NEW YORK KNICKS PRESENT:
HEROBALL. A STORY OF THE MID RANGE FADEAWAY JUMPER.
STARRING JALEN BUMSON AND DUBIOUS HANDLES.
thewatcher

The spirit of nate the great lives on!!!! Trier will be my favorite knick as long as he is here. :happy:
n8 the gr8 wrote:
Don Che
Likes given: 9

I want to see Iso Zo and JR battle....gonna be prime time television
thewatcher

A younger JR,yeah but ISO going to run circles around JR. Interesting fun fact,the nickname ISO started in HS, it was welcome by him,and still is, hes not a hog, he just gets open.
n8 the gr8 wrote:
nazrmohamed
Likes given: 246

C'mon now. JR was way better at that age.
Don Che
Likes given: 9

nazrmohamed wrote:C'mon now. JR was way better at that age.
JR talent wise is the top 10 Shooting guards i've ever seen......but the game isnt all talent
nazrmohamed

Not to put down Trier cuz I still like what he does but how quickly the tide can turn. A week ago Trier you woulda thought Trier would represent us in the ASG. Now quietly Dotson is taking his rightful place on the totem pole with this team. I always liked Dotson. Not gonna make him more than he should be but I could see him solidifying himself as our backup SG if he keeps this up.

Meanwhile when shots aren't falling Trier looks like why he wasnt drafted
NYGM
Likes given: 471

I think its about roles..

Trier improvise a lot, he's got his game and plays it.. Can he be effective down the road? This is the NBA and you need to be elite to play that way and those elite players do a lot more than going ISO or "get open"..

Dotson OTOH is about being in the right system and exploiting what he has.. Him being with Frank on the floor is about right because Frank makes the ball move a lot more than Trey or Trier, so there are a lot more touches for Dot in that type of offense.

Also Dot is rebounding extremely well for his size and bringing the usual effort on defense..

So playing Dot with Frank and Mario (who doesn't take the same amount of shot as THJ) makes him look better.

Trier needs to keep playing his game but expand it and bringing more and more on other facets of the game so he can still be playable when he's not on fire..
thewatcher

rebound wrote:Image

nate robinson and david lee being at the game felt like a passing of the torch to this young knicks squad.
Irv, can you do me a favor and make this pic my avatar? (or explain how to do it), thanks!!
n8 the gr8 wrote:
spree#8
Likes given: 540

^Watcher, go to "edit avatar" on your profile in the user control panel: ucp.php?i=profile&mode=avatar

Then just copy the picture address in "link off-site". If it looks great, you are done, otherwise you gotta put numbers into the picture dimensions using the rule of three.
#knickstape
thewatcher

thanks Spree!! yeah it didn't quite work, will try again later... :thumbsup:
n8 the gr8 wrote:
nazrmohamed

My honest critique of Trier comes with two paths. The first is how to improve within the role hed earned for himself. And then I'll talk about the role he could have with extensive skillset work. And I think people need to understand the difference. I can see a player and understand the role he plays or style he like to play and within that skillset talk about ways to improve and then separately imagine him actually learning new skills.

Example, Nate Robinson. He never really changes to much in skillset but within his original skillset got better. Almost elite I'd say.

Trier is similar. If he never learned vastly new skills there still room to work on his explosiveness, particularly the height of his vehicle on the jumpshot. I often see him cross guys up and then hit a step back where the defender almost looks like hes gonna block it, only for Trier to get the shot off. As he becomes scouted, or even when going against longer defenders it makes sense to alter his release point slightly while also benefitting from getting higher off the ground. This type of training is more specialized and won't come until the offseason.
Secondly his handle. Now I'm sure you're reading this and thinking his handle is great as he takes defenders off the dribble regularly to get to the rim. This is the type of handle I wish Frank would employ more often but how does Trier handle when he doesnt have one goal to attack. Standing handle. The handle to not be chased into a over and back situation when pressured. Teams will start defending him earlier to get the ball out of his hands and he'll have to deal with that.

In terms of change of skillset that handle I just spoke about will be key. We know he can dribble, cradle and get to the rim. Being able to keep defenders away while dribbling from a stationary position allows him to scan in confidence and allow plays to develop......which effects his court vision. I'd argue that his lack of court vision is really not selfishness but a limitation of his confidence to do anything other than put his head down and steam forward.

I'll stop here for now
taowave
Likes given: 817

Trier has "IT"..

Wait until he has an NBA body...
NYGM

taowave wrote:Trier has "IT"..

Wait until he has an NBA body...
I don't know about that.

You know that type of game works for elite players.
cragganmor
Likes given: 93

The irony of his steroid suspension is that he's not ripped at all; relies on his quickness and agility than pure strength.

I do like his current weight of 205, just needs to convert some fat to muscle to handle contact better and improve his endurance.

Agree that his defense is the key to him taking the next step to stardom. After that, improving his 3 ball by keeping his already excellent efficiency but in heavy volume.
taowave
Likes given: 817

I think you are saying he should shoot more from deep??

The guy has a .630 TS% while shooting 43% from 3 and .522 from 2...He should have the green light from wherever he wants until he comes down to earth.

He needs to pass the ball every now and then..

cragganmor wrote:The irony of his steroid suspension is that he's not ripped at all; relies on his quickness and agility than pure strength.

I do like his current weight of 205, just needs to convert some fat to muscle to handle contact better and improve his endurance.

Agree that his defense is the key to him taking the next step to stardom. After that, improving his 3 ball by keeping his already excellent efficiency but in heavy volume.
NYGM

I don't like when he's the primary ballhandler because the ball movement stops.. He's being efficient and that's great but from a team development standpoint is not ideal..

Obviously he needs to get stronger and keep developing, but boy wat a GREAT FIND for our FO.. This is a real STEAL..

Defense and passing would come if his IQ is there.. Looks like the SG we have been waiting for sure..