NBA Draft Poll: Assuming we stay in the 7/8 range when the draft comes

Discuss New York Knicks news, current events, players, and history.

Moderators: wallace044, rtn393, Irv

Pick your current choice

Trae
7%
Mikal
21%
Wendell
No votes
Miles
14%
Sexton
7%
Knox
29%
Lonnie
7%
Porter and his injury issues
14%

Total votes: 14
spree#8
Likes given: 540

If we go for a guard we have to find a trade with one of our other guards. We can't go into the season with 4 young point/combo guards in addition to our SG/SFs. So the question will likely be something like this: is Sexton and whom we get through that trade better than say Burke and Carter/Bridges/Bridges/etc.? I'm fine with trading Burke or Mudiay, but the answer to that question has to be yes to set such a plan in motion.
#knickstape
Don Che
Likes given: 9

i just dont see the perks of going guard in this draft. overall weak guard class imo.

plus a couple years changes a lot of things. The same way ppl love Sexton and assume hes a "sure thing" is the same as someone feeling Mudiay or Burke were a couple years ago.

only 2 things i know 10000% regarding Trae is 1. He will be a knockdown shooter. 2. He will be a liability on defense from his rookie year till the day he retires lol.

Sexton...im just sure his effort will be at its peak..but i also know that hes not as athletic to NBA standards as some might think well maybe athletic is the wrong term...i think just his physical tools wont allow him to impose his will like he can do in college.
rebound
Likes given: 1104

I'd be happy with Sexton, Walker, or Mikal Bridges.
TOM THIBODEAU'S NEW YORK KNICKS PRESENT:
HEROBALL. A STORY OF THE MID RANGE FADEAWAY JUMPER.
STARRING JALEN BUMSON AND DUBIOUS HANDLES.
PistolPete
Likes given: 5

Any likelihood of actually trading up? Like, just one spot to #8 with the Cavs in order to get Bamba. Wouldn't take much I would assume.
Damn it feels good to be a tankster.
nazrmohamed
Likes given: 246

PistolPete wrote:Any likelihood of actually trading up? Like, just one spot to #8 with the Cavs in order to get Bamba. Wouldn't take much I would assume.
Why would the Cavs bypass Bamba? They play 2 PFs with mixed results. Both don't defend. Bamba is the cure for them.
rebound
Likes given: 1104

Miles Bridges is intriguing.
TOM THIBODEAU'S NEW YORK KNICKS PRESENT:
HEROBALL. A STORY OF THE MID RANGE FADEAWAY JUMPER.
STARRING JALEN BUMSON AND DUBIOUS HANDLES.
taowave
Likes given: 817

Don't you think the Cavs could use a PG who can score,assuming Bron stays??

They lost Kyrie and IT

nazrmohamed wrote:
Why would the Cavs bypass Bamba? They play 2 PFs with mixed results. Both don't defend. Bamba is the cure for them.
Don Che

Cavs management did a bad job IMO...they need a real center and they need another perimeter creator other than Lebron.

Lebron's absurdness hides so many roster flaws.

them overpaying the likes of Tristan/Shump/JR and the list goes on led them to this point.

they could go center or PG in this draft.
NewlyKnicked
Likes given: 160

They have so many weaknesses + Lebron can cover multiple positions = they'll take BPA. So if it's between Trae and Bamba, I think they go Bamba
2017 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion
2020 Co-NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion
2021 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion
ISIAH_THOMAS
Likes given: 52

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/2346 ... every-team

They really like sexton at our pick

New York Knicks | Likely spot: No. 9
No. 1 pick odds: 1.7 percent | Top-3 pick odds: 6.1 percent

If they land in the top three, they should pick ...

No. 1: Deandre Ayton

No. 2: Luka Doncic

No. 3: Jaren Jackson Jr.

Most likely pick: Collin Sexton | PG | Alabama

With the growing realization that Frank Ntilikina is best as a defensive-minded off guard, the Knicks and newly-appointed head coach David Fizdale could use a PG of the future to put pressure on the rim and form a 1-2 scoring punch with Kristaps Porzingis

Sexton is an ideal candidate as one of the draft's best penetrators with the burst to dice up defenses and the mentality to thrive in New York City. His extreme focus and on-court competitiveness could fit perfectly in the NYC pressure-cooker. The Knicks could also consider a 3-and-D style wing like Mikal Bridges or an explosive small-ball 4 like Miles Bridges to slot next to Porzingis in a more modern lineup. -- Schmitz
Fxck Adam Silver
Don Che

Miles is a 3...he can be a small ball 4 depending on match up but not his main stay. Fact he said that im pretty sure he doesnt know more than i do.

Collin is a great competitor and kid but im not sure if he's that athletic and will "dice" it up with NBA athletes. And some of it has to do with his size/athleticism but also his handle.

Russ had weak handle as a rook but i remember him being a bit bigger and got higher off the floor. I see him in the Dennis Smith mold in size and i think Dennis is also taller...with real good handle.

The combine will sway me for or against with him..because rn he's not a facilitator...he's not a good ball handler and he's not big enough to guard 2's. But he scores and attacks and an absurd rate and lord knows we need that.

also not a fan of his form on his shot.
nazrmohamed

ISIAH_THOMAS wrote:http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/2346 ... every-team

They really like sexton at our pick

New York Knicks | Likely spot: No. 9
No. 1 pick odds: 1.7 percent | Top-3 pick odds: 6.1 percent

If they land in the top three, they should pick ...

No. 1: Deandre Ayton

No. 2: Luka Doncic

No. 3: Jaren Jackson Jr.

Most likely pick: Collin Sexton | PG | Alabama

With the growing realization that Frank Ntilikina is best as a defensive-minded off guard, the Knicks and newly-appointed head coach David Fizdale could use a PG of the future to put pressure on the rim and form a 1-2 scoring punch with Kristaps Porzingis

Sexton is an ideal candidate as one of the draft's best penetrators with the burst to dice up defenses and the mentality to thrive in New York City. His extreme focus and on-court competitiveness could fit perfectly in the NYC pressure-cooker. The Knicks could also consider a 3-and-D style wing like Mikal Bridges or an explosive small-ball 4 like Miles Bridges to slot next to Porzingis in a more modern lineup. -- Schmitz
I still don't think that that's a given except by people who are limited in thier thinking that all pgs must be paint attack and kick option in every system. Even if one to admit he'd never grow the skillset, I don't see why your SG can't have that role in your offense.

I still believe to have been worthy of his draft slot he gonna have to grow and get more aggressive but the skillset can still be Beverly next to a Harden, or Chalmers next to Wade, or Fisher next to Kobe.

Tim is pretty aggresive, not so much on taking players off the dribble in the half court but in open space he drives to the rim and he never saw a shot he won't take. But ya see, that's why I said that Frank needed to get more aggressive. Cuz after a while people start coming up with these off ball gimmicks rather than see him as the effective pg he can be
Don Che

i really dont care what fans or analysts think of...i just care about what we do.

Frank can be any position we want on offense...as long as hes the one guarding the main playmaker on defense.

So the other guard can go crazy to score 30 a night...but have the flexibility to defend the 2 if needed.

We need a lead guard but leaning more towards a 2/3 than a 1 IMO.

perfect guy would be Brandon Roy/Wade type guy as you mentioned. Sadly i just see Doncic fitting that mold...Lonnie needs a lot more seasoning but has the physical tools tho and not sure about his tools. Zhaire also.
Starbury3
Likes given: 0

Upper management already declared we want an athletic wing. The guard talk should end :arrow:

Mikal, Miles, Zhaire, Knox are what we are down to
nazrmohamed

Starbury3 wrote:Upper management already declared we want an athletic wing. The guard talk should end :arrow:

Mikal, Miles, Zhaire, Knox are what we are down to
No, they said they want the best player available.....preferably a wing. Doesn't mean they'll just reach for a wing just to say they landed one. But it's the Knicks so I reserve the right to watch us draft Jarren Vanderbilt with the 9th pick
Don Che

if Jarred was healthy last year....he would be in the lottery right now.

so while i know your being sarcastic its not a crazy thought...he was 5 star recruit not too far off of what MPJr was ranked who is being drafted top 10 purely on his HS career.

i think the fact Jarred injured his foot/leg twice is why GM's are looking away. Hence...i really hope we trade for a pick later and take him.

similar to Mikal...if he stays and goes back next year hes gonna be in the lottery.
Starbury3

nazrmohamed wrote: No, they said they want the best player available.....preferably a wing. Doesn't mean they'll just reach for a wing just to say they landed one. But it's the Knicks so I reserve the right to watch us draft Jarren Vanderbilt with the 9th pick
It's clear that Fiz and upper management are fully invested in bringing Mudiay, Frank, and Burke up to par as our featured "guards". They seem to be all in on bringing them up to speed using Fiz's experience with Conley and other guards (using off hand, off foot, etc.) as indicated in the press conference. In addition to the recent hiring of Van Excel to provide his knowledge in the guard department. With that being said, a wing fits our needs the best and the best available ones fall within our 8-11 range.

I do know though, that The Knicks, are The Knicks but I am hopeful about this one. We seem to finally have our heads on straight.
NewlyKnicked
Likes given: 160

This thread is pointless as we are getting 1st pick this year. Book it and start looking how « doncic » is supposed to be pronounced
2017 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion
2020 Co-NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion
2021 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion
Red

We suck. BPA.
The Mecca of Mess
Mike1989

Trae
My view?This kid is really talented. He can score, shoot and make plays. His court vision is excellent and he's a pretty good leader as well. In a sense the Stephen Curry comparisons are probably going a bit far, I see Mark Price as a more realistic comparison, and that is a piece you can build a really good team around.

Does he fit? Of course he does. He can slot in nicely next to Frank in the starting line up. Obviously Trae comes with question marks next to his athleticism, length and defense, but Frank can more than make up for that in this pairing. It would also allow us to move Trey Burke to sixth man duty and allow us to use Mudiay off the bench and let Burke/Mudiay develop as our bench back court unit.

All star? I think he's got the potential to be a perennial all star.

Mikal
My view? I would argue that Mikal Bridges is one of the safest picks in this year's draft. His 3 and D ability gives him a high floor. I would say players like Danny Green and Otto Porter are realistic comparisons. It would be nice to land a perennial all star running mate for KP, but if we can get a player that can be a glue guy and will work his butt off at both ends of the court, then that is something we can really use.

Does he fit? Yes, he can slot in at SG or SF from day one.

All star? Probably not unless he breaks out offensively and follows the same career path as Kawhi Leonard.

Wendell
My view? Here is another player that I would argue is among the safest picks in this year's draft. He is one of those jack of all trades, master of none kinda players. Some might say that gives him a lower ceiling than some of his counterparts but I would argue that if you can get an 8/10 guy, then that presents excellent value in the 7/8 range. I would say the Al Horford comparison is fairly realistic.

Does he fit? Yes, he has a good enough skill set and brings enough physical attributes that can make him a fit at PF or C next to KP. We have already heard that we want to play more position-less basketball and having a partner for KP in the front court that can switch assignments depending on match ups could be ideal.

All star? If he hits that Al Horford ceiling, all star appearances could be in his future.

Miles
My view? I don't like him at this point in the draft. If we traded back with the Clippers and got 12 and 13, fair enough, but at 7/8 and I think there are better options. His selling point is his athleticism, but he's a tweener and the issue he will face is that he lacks the length and size to play PF (his better fit) and is not really an ideal fit at SF due to his lack of quickness. He went back to school and his stats didn't really improve and from what I watched of him in the tournament he didn't stand out.

Does he fit? I suppose he can fit into a line up in today's NBA, but he doesn't strike me as someone to build around.

All star? No

Sexton
My view? The kid brings athleticism and quickness to the table, as well as character (good and bad). He can score, pass pretty well, and is a work in progress as a shooter. I think he brings enough to the table to warrant consideration. I see some De'Aaron Fox in him.

Does he fit? Yes and no. The issue with him is that he is a work in progress as a shooter like Frank. I would argue that pairing two players of that style would not be ideal in today's NBA because of the growing desire to have good three point shooters. Maybe Sexton can develop that part of his game, and maybe Frank can as well, but right now I think he's not an ideal partner.

All star? Potentially if he can put everything together and become a good shooter.

My pick?
If he's there are 7/8 I would honestly draft Trae Young and not look back. I think he's got the skill set and mental side to the game to be successful. He might not be Stephen Curry, but if he can hit the level that Mark Price played at then that is someone we can add to this team to pair with KP going forward. Obviously he's not perfect and will need to cut down on turnovers, but as long as he puts everything together he should have a very long and successful pro career.