Are you sure Frank was the guy??

Discuss New York Knicks news, current events, players, and history.

Moderators: wallace044, rtn393, Irv

taowave
Likes given: 817

Dennis Smith Jr. was asked to undergo a physical exam by the New York Knicks leading to the draft. Smith declined and the sides called off their scheduled workout.

“The Knicks were forcing me to do a couple things that were already established that I wasn’t going to do,” Smith told Yahoo Sports. “I was uncomfortable with them. I felt comfortable here in Dallas. They did a good job making me feel like I was already a player here. People think that I just dipped out of the Knicks workout because I didn’t want the Knicks to take me, but no.

“It wasn’t over that … but they kept insisting on the physical. I knew it would be a no go.”

One day before the draft, the Knicks asked if Smith would agree to undergo a last-second workout. At that point, Smith and his camp had preferred the Dallas Mavericks.

“The vibe was different in Dallas to me,” Smith told Yahoo Sports. “The Knicks have some good guys on their staff, but the situation with them was funky at the time.”

New York eventually picked Frank Ntilikina ahead of Smith.
Don Che
Likes given: 9

I totally get the Knicks POV on this.... if I were a GM id ask for a physical also.... and if the pick was mine....I'd choose btwn Donovan Mitchell and Frank

We picked Frank.....I'll live with it
Muzhik1
Likes given: 0

Phil screwed up. Both DSJ and Donovan Mitchell are superior guards. He drafted him for the triangle which we do not run.

Even Hornacek admitted that he did not know much about Frank aside from looking his YouTube clips.

Historically Phil did not favor scoring guards, as they are unnecessary in a pure triangle. Phil clearly favored Frank.

This goes on Dolan who should have fired Phil before the draft.
spree#8
Likes given: 540

His name got called. So, yes.

Why another thread? :?
#knickstape
taowave

Because watching him play makes me question that a sane GM would have picked him ahead of Donovan and Smith.

I know you think the guy has a high ceiling.

I'm starting to hope he's not a bust

spree#8 wrote:His name got called. So, yes.

Why another thread? :?
spree#8

taowave wrote:Because watching him play makes me question that a sane GM would have picked him ahead of Donovan and Smith.

I know you think the guy has a high ceiling.

I'm starting to hope he's not a bust
Not true. I have no idea. But I'm giving our scouts the benefit of the doubt and will watch patiently how he develops. I am on the record that I would have picked Smith over Ntilikina, but I have no problem at all with the decision the Knicks made, because there was a case to be made for Ntilikina having better two-way potential. So I'll wait and see. Right now he looks basically exactly how I predicted this early on (same for Smith), so there is no reason to freak out.

To answer your initial question: almost every draft board had Ntilikina in the range where he got picked and I don't remember anyone having Mitchell rated higher. The top ten were almost everywhere the same and Mitchell was ranked in the tier below.

BTW: we expected Ntilikina to be our pick, so let's get over it. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=39767
#knickstape
taowave

Spree,the guy looks lost on offense and scared shitless.

Curious that Phil wanted a last minute workout,but Smith was already done with us by then
nazrmohamed
Likes given: 246

taowave wrote:Spree,the guy looks lost on offense and scared shitless.

Curious that Phil wanted a last minute workout,but Smith was already done with us by then

He really does, and Spree knows. But I've seen way worse get way better. For me its that his mentality will prevent him from reaching his own goal. You gotta be a little selfish top get where you wanna go. Id almost rather see a guy attempt to light it up every game, show me his potential and as he ages learn to settle down. Frank has the opposite starting point. There has been maybe one game all season where I can say what his future could be. One single game and for all I know an untalented player just hustled one night and this is as good as it gets.

Again, Idk what he can be and it's still not even a half a rookie season, across the world, different culture. But I also don't know how one can feel optimistic either. So far it's way more doubt than clarity.
nazrmohamed
Likes given: 246

One single game and for all I know an untalented player just hustled one night and this is as good as it gets. 
Frank with 10 pts, 10 assists, 7 boards, 2 blocks, 1 steal

That's 2 games muthafuqa, and it gets that good.
Minkaveli
Likes given: 172

Maybe they wanted to test his injury history and see how his mobility was and he didn't want to do it? As of now, both players appear to be a wash with Frank having more upside as a passer and defender and DSJ as a scorer...but people wanted us to take Winslow at 4th overall too.
No longer sick and tired that Kurt wasn't hired.
spree#8

And just on cue Ntilikina with a beautiful game, showing exactly his two-way potential. Great on defense and today fantastic on offense, picking the Nets apart. :clap:
#knickstape
taowave

Lol...He clearly feels the heat from AI 2.

spree#8 wrote:And just on cue Ntilikina with a beautiful game, showing exactly his two-way potential. Great on defense and today fantastic on offense, picking the Nets apart. :clap:
Don Che
Likes given: 9

Not one person here was thinking Donovan should be the guy at 8 outside of me and I'm 100% good with Frank.

Frank has outplayed Ball and DSJr and all these guys are showing more promise than the 1st pick so really...there's nothing to be worried about....some nights he's bad some nights he's an awesome PG for this squad. I'd chill with calling him anything ATM but nights like this help seeing the vision of what he can be....I do want him to start tho.
spree#8

taowave wrote:Spree,the guy looks lost on offense and scared shitless.

nazrmohamed wrote: He really does, and Spree knows. But I've seen way worse get way better. For me its that his mentality will prevent him from reaching his own goal. You gotta be a little selfish top get where you wanna go. Id almost rather see a guy attempt to light it up every game, show me his potential and as he ages learn to settle down. Frank has the opposite starting point. There has been maybe one game all season where I can say what his future could be. One single game and for all I know an untalented player just hustled one night and this is as good as it gets.

Again, Idk what he can be and it's still not even a half a rookie season, across the world, different culture. But I also don't know how one can feel optimistic either. So far it's way more doubt than clarity.
Vision. Imagination. That's what scouting is about. Defense and the floor general ability is already in front of our eyes, the rest has to be build up. Will it work? Who knows? But Idk, why we shouldn't feel optimistic. :?

Some of you guys would've sent Nowitzki back to Germany after his rookie year. So relax and enjoy the youth movement. And keep in mind, that every team misses on some lottery picks in case Ntili doesn't work out. Even the tank beloved 76ers missed on Carter-Williams, Noel and Okafor lately from a long-term value standpoint (and only got the current three talents together because two of them didn't play in their first season and one not even in his second).
#knickstape
taowave

Yes,the PROCESS certainly wasn't perfect.

As long as Frank stays aggressive,I am good
PistolPete
Likes given: 5

spree#8 wrote:And just on cue Ntilikina with a beautiful game, showing exactly his two-way potential. Great on defense and today fantastic on offense, picking the Nets apart. :clap:

Ntilikina gives me that Rondo vibe when I see him. Not gonna be a great scorer, but I expect him to dish out the assists and to be a staunch defender.
Damn it feels good to be a tankster.
rebound
Likes given: 1104

he's 19 and still has a couple of seasons before he matures physically. i'm getting jason kidd vibes.

frank, kp, timmy is a nice core.
knicks can be scary next season if perry plays his cards right. just no more bullshit signings like jack and sessions.
TOM THIBODEAU'S NEW YORK KNICKS PRESENT:
HEROBALL. A STORY OF THE MID RANGE FADEAWAY JUMPER.
STARRING JALEN BUMSON AND DUBIOUS HANDLES.
taowave

looks like Frank finally read the memo
Begley also noted that Ntilikina felt great about his performance, and that it wont be his last big outing for the Knicks.

“It’s time,” the rookie said. “I know it’s about time especially I have to go out there and be confident and be aggressive. I won’t relax now. I’m just motivated to do more in the future.”
NewlyKnicked
Likes given: 160

Asking for a medical checkup for a player with bad injury history is the least I expect from our staff. If the player doesn't show up and refuses a last minute workout, it's either because he has something to hide or he doesn't want to com ehere. Either way, good luck to you in Texas, Mr Smith. I rather have someone thrilled at the idea of calling the Mecca home.
2017 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion
2020 Co-NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion
2021 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion
NewlyKnicked
Likes given: 160

Honestly, I'm also disappointed from Frank's numbers so far, but that's mostly because we forgot he was labeled as a project which will take a few years to develop and adapt, more so than most other rookies. But look at Isaacs who was also raw. His physical abilities make you drool but he needs more time before being able to reach his potential.

I'm biased on the boy but I'll give him 2 more years during which he needs to show improvements steadily. yeah I know it's a lot of time, but we ain't a contending team and serious rebuild takes a while
2017 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion
2020 Co-NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion
2021 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion