2016 Free Agency Thread

Discuss New York Knicks news, current events, players, and history.

Moderators: wallace044, rtn393, Irv, cru77jones

Re: 2016 Free Agency Thread

Postby cragganmor » May 22, 2016, 10:26 pm

one guy that could be a great value is gerald green; under jh in phx, he had his best season shooting 40% from the arc and he can slash, attack the cup.
cragganmor

Postby rebound » May 22, 2016, 10:33 pm

KnickFanMidwest wrote:If Memphis declines his team option - what do you guys think of Lance Stephenson? He is def a two way player. A bit of a fuck face personality wise - but I think that Hornacek & Phil should be able to whip him into shape!

seeing as phil jettisoned jr smith and iman shumpert, showed no interest in Lance at the trade deadline, i think he will continue to stay away from him and players that suffer from similar mental deficiencies.
Team Mills
rebound

Postby Gheppetto » May 22, 2016, 11:51 pm

[quote=seeing as phil jettisoned jr smith and iman shumpert, showed no interest in Lance at the trade deadline, i think he will continue to stay away from him and players that suffer from similar mental deficiencies.[/quote]

That is perfect. Agree 100%.
Gheppetto

Postby vino92 » May 23, 2016, 9:04 am

You have to look whats out there that can play with Melo and Porzingis and that fits the system that the new coach will run and that upgrades our roster that will come on the cheap The big year of free agency for us will be 2017 when we also have a draft pick To me players that will not get a max contract but fits our need and this style of play are T Johnson J Lin H Barnes E Fournier and R Anderson
vino92

Postby KnickFanMidwest » May 23, 2016, 1:37 pm

cragganmor wrote:one guy that could be a great value is gerald green; under jh in phx, he had his best season shooting 40% from the arc and he can slash, attack the cup.

I like Gerald Green. Like Williams, he is very athletic & I think that this is something that the Knicks could use.

If we sign Conley & Gerald Green (and hold onto Derrick Williams) this off-season, I will be happy.
-Native New Yorker Exiled to the Mid-West.
KnickFanMidwest

Postby big_j_NY » May 23, 2016, 9:54 pm

cragganmor wrote:one guy that could be a great value is gerald green; under jh in phx, he had his best season shooting 40% from the arc and he can slash, attack the cup.

Green has definitely improved, and he was a solid contributor for Miami this season. If he's available again, I'd definitely go for it.........especially with Jeff as the bait to attract him
#EmbraceTheTank2018

#InPorzingisWeTrust

Hassan Whiteside wrote:I'm just tryin...tryin 2 really get my NBA 2K rating up
big_j_NY

Postby nazrmohamed » May 24, 2016, 12:14 am

Gerald Green is 30yrs old folks. He need not apply. We're not an established team, he'd probably wanna find some playoff team to play on. People are talking about his improvement as if he didn't just become an nba player at 28yrs old.

For me its still Lance. I don't have any clue what people are talking about mentally with him. If they mean an actual fire in their games and some level of competitiveness then sure I guess he's mental, but Knick fans try so hard to avoid guys who actually were instrumental in one of our best seasons and now is competing for a title, that they often miss out on what? Guys who were instrumental in a couple teams best seasons and actually competed toward a team trying to win a title. What exactly are people annoyed at, the ear blowing incident? Note that this was 3 yrs ago when he was only 24. All I took from it win or fail is that this kid will compete his entire career and I hope Phil will see that too. He has the perfect all around skillset. He'll handle the ball like a pg from the 2, rebound like a SG from the 2, he'll attempt to defend anybody and in all reality he's left the knuckleheadedness behind him a while ago. You could probably land a PG at or near the top tier and still afford Lance on the side. I think he's the move. Worst case Afflalo is still your boring steady headed SG and you bring Lance off the bench as a sixth man. In any case he's a good pickup.
PHISHER
nazrmohamed

Postby Koopa Troopa » May 24, 2016, 12:25 am

rebound wrote:seeing as phil jettisoned jr smith and iman shumpert, showed no interest in Lance at the trade deadline, i think he will continue to stay away from him and players that suffer from similar mental deficiencies.

yeah Phil got rid of JR and JR went on to the NBA finals and is about to go there again.

I'll take Lance. Someone to root for. Knicks are doomed forever so who cares lets at least get a local guy.
Koopa Troopa

Postby big_j_NY » May 24, 2016, 12:30 am

nazrmohamed wrote:For me its still Lance. I don't have any clue what people are talking about mentally with him. If they mean an actual fire in their games and some level of competitiveness then sure I guess he's mental, but Knick fans try so hard to avoid guys who actually were instrumental in one of our best seasons and now is competing for a title, that they often miss out on what? Guys who were instrumental in a couple teams best seasons and actually competed toward a team trying to win a title. What exactly are people annoyed at, the ear blowing incident? Note that this was 3 yrs ago when he was only 24. All I took from it win or fail is that this kid will compete his entire career and I hope Phil will see that too. He has the perfect all around skillset. He'll handle the ball like a pg from the 2, rebound like a SG from the 2, he'll attempt to defend anybody and in all reality he's left the knuckleheadedness behind him a while ago. You could probably land a PG at or near the top tier and still afford Lance on the side. I think he's the move. Worst case Afflalo is still your boring steady headed SG and you bring Lance off the bench as a sixth man. In any case he's a good pickup.

If this was Rambis or D-Fish coaching the team, then I'd side with everyone else on Lance's "headcase issues" on avoiding him considering neither of those guys have displayed the ability to coach any NBA guard to a respectable level.

But I'll have to side with you on this, especially since this would be a good test on Hornacek's ability to coach the best out of his guards..........considering he was able to make a 3 PG rotation functional for most of his tenure in Phoenix.

Hornacek might be the pill to cure the mental issues of a Lance Stephenson, and considering his reputation now........Stephenson might be cheaper in free agency to acquire, the pure definition of a "low risk, high reward."
#EmbraceTheTank2018

#InPorzingisWeTrust

Hassan Whiteside wrote:I'm just tryin...tryin 2 really get my NBA 2K rating up
big_j_NY

Postby nazrmohamed » May 24, 2016, 12:34 am

Actually I was wrong and glad I was. Lance is 25yrs old. The ear blowing incident was when he was 22 yrs old and people are concerned? Our 23 yr old rookies looked lost and here Lance is trying to go at Lebron James, having his way with our entire backcourt during our playoff series.....at 22.

Im not saying he's any superstar but good teams need competitors. Lance competes, has a good skill set, isn't scared, wont stand around stupid if our PG situation stays in the dumps cuz he can handle. And quietly he had a great end to the season with Memphis and we've heard nothing negative about his character.

Idk, Ive said enough but I think out of all the moves Phil made last year, the most crafty one was having the vision to sign DWill. I bashed it harder than anyone and pretty much the whole world had given up on him. At the end of the day he was
1- young
2- talented
3- cheap
4- in need of the right situation

And for the most part it was a good fit. I just think with the lack of stars or lack of desire by any of them to join the Knicks, we should continue to find more DWills.

And roll that $$hit over to 2017. So all my suggestions will fit that model.

Lin should apply
Clarkson should apply
Stephensen should apply
Crabbe should apply
Jennings .....well even he should apply.

30 year olds who just figured it out 2 yrs ago need not apply.
PHISHER
nazrmohamed

Postby Koopa Troopa » May 24, 2016, 3:05 am

nazrmohamed wrote:Actually I was wrong and glad I was. Lance is 25yrs old. The ear blowing incident was when he was 22 yrs old and people are concerned? Our 23 yr old rookies looked lost and here Lance is trying to go at Lebron James, having his way with our entire backcourt during our playoff series.....at 22.

Im not saying he's any superstar but good teams need competitors. Lance competes, has a good skill set, isn't scared, wont stand around stupid if our PG situation stays in the dumps cuz he can handle. And quietly he had a great end to the season with Memphis and we've heard nothing negative about his character.

Idk, Ive said enough but I think out of all the moves Phil made last year, the most crafty one was having the vision to sign DWill. I bashed it harder than anyone and pretty much the whole world had given up on him. At the end of the day he was
1- young
2- talented
3- cheap
4- in need of the right situation

And for the most part it was a good fit. I just think with the lack of stars or lack of desire by any of them to join the Knicks, we should continue to find more DWills.

And roll that $$hit over to 2017. So all my suggestions will fit that model.

Lin should apply
Clarkson should apply
Stephensen should apply
Crabbe should apply
Jennings .....well even he should apply.

30 year olds who just figured it out 2 yrs ago need not apply.

Lance is actually everything this team needs. A 2 guard that isnt D league level (sorry Galloway :? ) who is also a playmaker. The Knicks probably arent gonna get an elite PG, this is the next best bet. Hes a triple double threat every night. AND hes a NY kid, I dont see how he wouldnt wanna be a star here.
Koopa Troopa

Postby vino92 » May 24, 2016, 9:48 am

what game are you guys watching Basketball Lance has been a complete bust with his last three teams and has a rep for being poison in the locker room WTF his best year he only scored 13.8 ppg in 35 mpg he is overrated and always has been, i wouldn't touch him and I want hin no where near Porzingis and he sure as hell doesn't fit the system the new coach runs
vino92

Postby Don Che » May 24, 2016, 9:49 am

We already have grant and wroten who get to the rack better than they can shoot...I was all for lance before but now it's too many guys who attack and not snipers

Fournier is 23 and is dropping 15 points a game on good %'s and also competes....Bazemore is 27 and shoots it decent and pretty athletic.
Don Che

Postby shakespeare » May 24, 2016, 10:21 am

Was told his camp knows Knicks and Raptors would offer max deal. Knows whats out there wants to stay in Charlotte.

https://twitter.com/stevekylernba/statu ... 7332897792

Depending on who and/or what one chooses to believe, Nicolas Batum has stated that he wants to stay in Charlotte, despite apparently knowing that New York and Toronto will offer max contracts this offseason. Question: What's the point in in New York offering a max contract to a small forward? DeRozan leaving the Raps might be a given. DeRozan's headed to the Lakers? Wtf. I remember the Lakers couldn't do any better in free agency besides Carlos Boozer and Jeremy Lin and now they're poised to snatch one of the top SGs in the Eastern Conference?

The way I see it: The building isn't big enough for a backcourt of Clarkson, Russell and DeRozan in LakerLand. Or is it? There were reports that Lakers looked to package Clarkson (I guess they ddn't want to pay him x amount of dollars) an the lotto pick for a proven star player BUT the 2nd pick (Simmons or Ingram) negates that plan, I'm guessing.

Lakers would be crazy to trade Clarkson AND Simmons/Ingram.
Last edited by shakespeare on May 24, 2016, 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Porzingis blessing is real.
#TeamTank
shakespeare
Writer

Postby shakespeare » May 24, 2016, 10:28 am

Don Che wrote:
Fournier is 23.

I've seen Fournier torch the Knicks too many times to not want him on the team. He'd be a much-needed sniper for the Knicks.

Rudy Gobert tweeted him to sign with Utah.

Fournier, trust me, Toronto has shocked us all.
The Porzingis blessing is real.
#TeamTank
shakespeare
Writer

Postby vino92 » May 24, 2016, 12:30 pm

I've been advocating for Founier or T Johnson in Miami but can we please stop with the Wroten is the answer talk the guy is a back up at best the worst team in Basketball cut him after 4 NBA seasons his stats are FG% 338 3P% 231 and FT% 64 and Grant numbers are almost as bad
vino92

Postby Don Che » May 24, 2016, 1:03 pm

Wroten is 22....Grant is 23...good talent and good work ethic....I'd place a solid bet thier days ahead is better than the prior years I don't see T Johnson doing anything those guys can't do...it's redundant
Don Che

Postby vino92 » May 24, 2016, 2:00 pm

in 24 MPG T Johnson stats are 8.7 PPG 2.2 APg 3 RPG on FG% 486 3P% 386 and a FT% of 80% and you see no difference that ridiculous
vino92

Postby Koopa Troopa » May 24, 2016, 5:39 pm

vino92 wrote:what game are you guys watching Basketball Lance has been a complete bust with his last three teams and has a rep for being poison in the locker room WTF his best year he only scored 13.8 ppg in 35 mpg he is overrated and always has been, i wouldn't touch him and I want hin no where near Porzingis and he sure as hell doesn't fit the system the new coach runs

Can attribute that to lack of motivation and being a bad fit on those teams. Dont see how he doesnt fit on this current squad.... we know Hornacek ran a team with multiple attacking PG's so??

You single out 13.8 points and leave out 7 rebounds 5 assists. This was a team with Paul George and Hibbert, I dont know what more you are expecting in terms of PPG. Were also forgetting this was only 2 years ago. He also led the NBA that year in triple doubles and it was the Pacers franchise record. Like Nazr said, you can get him for less than his actual value because a lot of fans have short term memory and forgot he is a baller.Plus if anything can motivate him it would be to play for his hometown squad.

I like to think he worked in Indy cause George Hill wasnt much of a PG. Lance was the playmaker. In Charlotte thats Kemba, on the Clips thats Paul, on the Grizz thats Conley. The Knicks are in dire need of a playmaker, he fits the bill :thumbsup:
Koopa Troopa

Postby Mr3037 » May 24, 2016, 5:54 pm

I really don't want Fournier.
He just screams to me as the type of player we end up overpaying for & he rarely had games FOR us like he's had AGAINST us.

No way the Lakers trade the pick, for me that's clear. I like Clarkson & hope we can tempt him away.

Just read Beal wants a max deal, fair enough too, he's a player Id love but we have no chance at.

With Horny on board it's clear we will target guards & dudes that can shoot. Last season we had a lot of guys that liked taking jumpers, they just sucked at hitting them. We need some outside threats
NYK Fan since 92
NYKFP Fan since 04

26 years & counting...Bleeding Orange & Blue
Mr3037

PreviousNext

Return to New York Knicks