KD: "Grow up. I have nothing to do with Porzingis"

Discuss New York Knicks news, current events, players, and history.

Moderators: wallace044, rtn393, Irv

NYGM
Likes given: 473

nazrmohamed wrote:They went to the finals as kids DC. That's what they did. Itd be like Jordan and the Bulls going to the finals in his 3rd year which he didnt even do btw, nor Lebron. It was truly amazing.

Then they made the wrong decision on who to let go. I'm 100% certain that had they kept Harden they wouldve been in the finals for years to come. Hell, I think if Durant whether the storm he couodve won in OKC. You gotta remember they were a top 3 team when he left to go to the best team at the time. Thats why fans felt so betrayed, it's not like they stunk. Itd be like Giannes leaving the Bucks to go to the Celtics or the other way around with Kyrie.

So I hope you weren't trying to prove he didnt accomplish much prior to the Warriors there. OKC lost in the finals to a mature Miami big 3 whilst being in what other franchises would call rebuilding mode. Nothing to feel ashamed about.
People often forget they were very young .

And is not like OKC got better after KD left..

Let's see if they can get to the finals with PG..
dcapodic
Likes given: 0

nazrmohamed wrote:They went to the finals as kids DC. That's what they did. Itd be like Jordan and the Bulls going to the finals in his 3rd year which he didnt even do btw, nor Lebron. It was truly amazing.

Then they made the wrong decision on who to let go. I'm 100% certain that had they kept Harden they wouldve been in the finals for years to come. Hell, I think if Durant whether the storm he couodve won in OKC. You gotta remember they were a top 3 team when he left to go to the best team at the time. Thats why fans felt so betrayed, it's not like they stunk. Itd be like Giannes leaving the Bucks to go to the Celtics or the other way around with Kyrie.

So I hope you weren't trying to prove he didnt accomplish much prior to the Warriors there. OKC lost in the finals to a mature Miami big 3 whilst being in what other franchises would call rebuilding mode. Nothing to feel ashamed about.
Thanks nazr but I wasn't trying to put down the team that Durant had in OKC, in fact if anything just the opposite. That was all drafted, home grown talent. But for various reasons (probably mostly the owner not wanting to spend too much to keep them all) that team broke up and never won. Would they have won if they never broke up, who knows. But Durant is by no means doing it alone in GS.

My post was really not about the talent level of Durant. It is more about the direction the team choosed to take. People keep fantasizing about all of these pieces coming together from outside and are ready to give up on the rebuild already. Also, this team does not need a prima donna type. Now, Durnt does not seem to be that way at all ut the idea that he would choose his running mates is silly, at best. Ok, you let him come here fo rhte max, choose his guys and one twisted knee later it is done.

Have a plan, stick to the plan and build. I would love for the Knicks to compete for teh NBA title next year but at the same time, I want it to be sustainable. No more one and done shots. They have sucked too long to just take a shot in the dark that all of these shaky pieces are gonna fall together. We hav no idea if KD really is even considering coming and now he is gonna choose who else they pick up?

That was more my pooint,,sorry I was't too clear :)
- Me being the resident optimist around this cesspool of doom and gloom, StevoStarks, circa 2019
Don Che
Likes given: 9

if GS doesnt offer the max....hes coming here or BK or LAC.

because those teams have max spots to land him.
thewatcher
Likes given: 2626

Don Che wrote:if GS doesnt offer the max....hes coming here or BK or LAC.

because those teams have max spots to land him.
hahaha way to go out on a limb Don!!! :LOL:
Eventually everyone will join #teamKDNYC
n8 the gr8 wrote:
The first rule of NYKFP is you don't talk about NYKFP.
thewatcher

What's better #teamKDNYC or# teamKDMSG? :drunk:
n8 the gr8 wrote:
nazrmohamed
Likes given: 246

Have a plan, stick to the plan and build. I would love for the Knicks to compete for teh NBA title next year but at the same time, I want it to be sustainable. No more one and done shots. They have sucked too long to just take a shot in the dark that all of these shaky pieces are gonna fall together. We hav no idea if KD really is even considering coming and now he is gonna choose who else they pick up?
I feel you. I wish we could do that too but I'm just a fan and the Knicks are gonna Knick. They just cant help themselves. But the Lakers typically do the same thing and have had success cuz when they do it, they do it big. So for me rebuild right as you say, but if you wanna go after the stars go big or go home. Dont get cute. Dont try to be smarter than anyone else. You go out and get the best player in the world.....and anyone the best player in the world think will help him win. It works out for Lebron most, I'm not gonna start trying to play power moves with Durant. Were not the spurs, the Spurs wouldn't take that route. They wouldve rebuilt slow.
NYGM

Yes, the lakers going after LeBron = smart

The Knicks going after KD = Dumb

KD is younger than LeBron, so if it's possible for them then it's possible for us..

The key here is not going to be KD by himself, you got. Chance to get 2 superstars and keep some youth in the process..

Think about getting 2 superstars and having another one in the making?

You may end like OKC if thwy would had kept Harden.. Who knows?

It's one thing doing it and getting Kemba and Tobias Harris and other thing getting KD and Kyrie...
dcapodic

NYGM wrote:Yes, the lakers going after LeBron = smart

The Knicks going after KD = Dumb

KD is younger than LeBron, so if it's possible for them then it's possible for us..

The key here is not going to be KD by himself, you got. Chance to get 2 superstars and keep some youth in the process..

Think about getting 2 superstars and having another one in the making?

You may end like OKC if thwy would had kept Harden.. Who knows?

It's one thing doing it and getting Kemba and Tobias Harris and other thing getting KD and Kyrie...
It's one thing doing it and getting Kemba....
This is exactly the kind of thing that concerns me with this "get the stars" tactic. People go after names not substance. What did Kyrie do before Lebron came along in Cle? What has Kyrie done in Boston? People just chacse the name....

Personally, I would rather Kemba than Kyrie. Their career stats re very similar and yes, Kemba is older but he is healthy and abrely missed any time through his career. If you know the background of Kemba, you know that he does not have an NBA championship but does haev an NCAA one and he carried that team. So, to me the attraction of Kyrie is taht he is a local product and has a championship. Kemba is also local (by his college career) and wants to play in NYC and has shown as much ability (if not a whole lot more) to lead a team than Kyrie.

I'd give up a couple of years of age for health, less craziness and the guy with a lesser "name". Add to that the fact taht you might get him cheaper or for less years.

Pass on Kyrie.
- Me being the resident optimist around this cesspool of doom and gloom, StevoStarks, circa 2019
nazrmohamed

I didnt realize you guys were specifically talking about Kyrie. Yeah, I'm with you, especially now that we got DSJ. And what's crazy, he just got hurt again. Personally my favorite option would be Durant and Klay
NYGM

Ok, say you pass on Kyrie but not KD.. You can even keep DSJ and Frank and go after Klay and try to keep DeAndre too.. You can also go after another player since KD can play both forward spots..

Kemba is the typical Knicks move, pay max $ for the wrong players, you only play max $ for top talent so they can take you over the hump..

If you keep giving those contracts to non star players then you're setting yourself to failure..

Rather pass in FA and keep building..

But if you get KD things change, you don't get that type of talent and just suck, also KD has the appeal to bring other guys to play with him (douche Draymon Green aside)..
NYGM

nazrmohamed wrote:I didnt realize you guys were specifically talking about Kyrie. Yeah, I'm with you, especially now that we got DSJ. And what's crazy, he just got hurt again. Personally my favorite option would be Durant and Klay
That would be great, but Klay seems to be the guy to stay in GS or go to LA..

Kyrie Is the best of the little guards bunch, all of them are scoring first but Kyrie is the elite one on that regard he can pass the ball too, I want no part of Kemba, Tobias, Vucevic and those guys.. Not for the max..

I would like to get the FA and keep our youth, and more inclined to if we get a top 2 pick..
Don Che

Interview with the Jeff on Woj's podcast is amazing for those wanna listen...confirms a lot of what i thought
dcapodic

NYGM wrote: That would be great, but Klay seems to be the guy to stay in GS or go to LA..

Kyrie Is the best of the little guards bunch, all of them are scoring first but Kyrie is the elite one on that regard he can pass the ball too, I want no part of Kemba, Tobias, Vucevic and those guys.. Not for the max..

I would like to get the FA and keep our youth, and more inclined to if we get a top 2 pick..
Ok, just curious, but what do you base this on:
Kyrie Is the best of the little guards bunch, all of them are scoring first but Kyrie is the elite one on that regard he can pass the ball too
Again, people just say things, I guess beacuse they read them somewhere or here them on a sports cast or just get caught up in the "name" of the player rather than what they have actually done. Just so we can campare correctly:

Irving career stats:

22.1/5.6/3.6

2.7 TO, 1.3 Steals

Walker:

19.5/5.4/3.8

2.2 TO 1.3 Steals

So, Irving 5.6 assists to Walker, 5.4 assists. So, .2 assists per game over a career put a player in the "elite" status?!? Let's also take a look at "health"....Kyrie has played roughly 77% of his teams regular season games over the past 4 years and Walker 98 percent. That is regular season. Let us not forget where Kyrie was when his team made it to the conference finals last year....sitting on the bench watching. For that matter, you don't want to look at how Boston has done with Kyrie in the lineup versus Kyrie out.

Just to be clear....I am not in favor of signing either of these guys to a max over the summer, especially Kyrie whose knee issues would scare me away. If you are going to take a chance on someone, go with the guy that has put up virtually the same numbers but played almost every game over that period and does not have chronic knee problems.
NYGM

Kyrie gets the "elite" status since you know he can actually perform in playoff play and make the big plays in the finals.. Proven commodity..
Don Che

as your second best player...or maybe 3rd.

and theres a huge chance...he wont even be playing when the finals come around.

also consider that this is a contract year and he still misses all these random games..imagine once you give you 25 mill a year for 4 years.
nazrmohamed

Go figure, my whole life you weren't an elite PG unless you were racking up 9 assist. How the NBA changed. We want PGs to score points nowadays, not generate them. I'm stuck thinking an elite PG is Steve Nash or Rajon Rondo
dcapodic

nazrmohamed wrote:Go figure, my whole life you weren't an elite PG unless you were racking up 9 assist. How the NBA changed. We want PGs to score points nowadays, not generate them. I'm stuck thinking an elite PG is Steve Nash or Rajon Rondo
I don't like to take away from a guy's accomplishments but I get confused abou this whole "elite" thing myself. A guy hits a big shot in one playoff game and all of a sudden he is"elite"?!? Do we not count the part where he never made the playoffs before Lebron got there?!? Do we count the fact that they didn't make the playoffs once Lebron left?!? Do we count the fact that he sat out the playoffs in Boston and then his team went on to make the finals without him?!?

I don't like seemingly cutting on one player, especially one that I think is very talented like Kyrie. But the numbers are what they are and his health is what it is.
NYGM

nazrmohamed wrote:Go figure, my whole life you weren't an elite PG unless you were racking up 9 assist. How the NBA changed. We want PGs to score points nowadays, not generate them. I'm stuck thinking an elite PG is Steve Nash or Rajon Rondo
Those (Kyrie and Kemba) are scoring guards not necessary your traditional PG.

But if you are willing to go that way, then go for the guy who is elite at scoring and is not like Kyrie can't pass.. You will need to play him with another type of guard though.
NYGM

dcapodic wrote: I don't like to take away from a guy's accomplishments but I get confused abou this whole "elite" thing myself. A guy hits a big shot in one playoff game and all of a sudden he is"elite"?!? Do we not count the part where he never made the playoffs before Lebron got there?!? Do we count the fact that they didn't make the playoffs once Lebron left?!? Do we count the fact that he sat out the playoffs in Boston and then his team went on to make the finals without him?!?

I don't like seemingly cutting on one player, especially one that I think is very talented like Kyrie. But the numbers are what they are and his health is what it is.
Dcap, it wasn't just "one shot"

27pts, 4rb, 4ast, .468 FG, .405 3pt.

That was against GSW and not just one shot but the whole series .

I know he's not ideal and has injury concerns.. But there is no way you take Kemba over him right now..

If you going to get KD then make some sense pairing him with Kyrie and look for a big guard who can pass and defend..

But if Kyrie is too risky due his injuries then you could go in a different direction to get your second Max guy..
thewatcher

wtf is wrong with us?? they pulled this dumbass promo down, but it's too late. We're a stupid fcking organization, grasping for low-hanging fruit may irritate KD so much we lose him. :sadno:
n8 the gr8 wrote: