2018-2019 Tank er, Rebuild

Discuss New York Knicks news, current events, players, and history.

Moderators: wallace044, rtn393, Irv, cru77jones

Re: 2018-2019 Tank er, Rebuild

Postby taowave » January 11, 2019, 4:15 pm

Don,funny you just brought up Rondo as I was thinking about his game relative to Frank's...

Can you see Frank in any way,shape or form becoming Rondo-esque??
taowave

Postby Don Che » January 11, 2019, 4:43 pm

Rondo has exceptional tools....quick as all hell and long arms/big hands....but what sets him apart is IQ and flat out rage...guy is furious out there...i loved that about his game.

Frank could be that guy...i just dont know if he has the gaul to say f* this...f* you....I'm running this noise.

it seems like he's being taught that "aggressive" is by taking shots(which he isnt)

while Rondo would cause PURE MAYHEM...taking 8 shots...6 of them layups.

Frank should just enhance the skills hes inclined to do. Worst thing a player could do in today's NBA is not know who he is...and Frank has no idea.

I actually think Jeff managed Frank well...Frank had 10/10/7 stat lines last year..I havent seen Frank take control yet this year like last.

Rondo was a dog in KT..i liked him then and didnt want us to take Balkman(or was it a wilson chandler year) i was hoping rondo was our guy but i prefer rebounding pass first PG's and you are right...when we took Frank..I envisioned a Rondo type guy...not as angry but same style of play.

and Franks shot...isnt broken...he could be our pass/defense/rebounding first guard that can hit the open 3....which is EXACTLY what this roster needs...but hes too busy being shy for some reason.
Don Che

Postby StevoStarks » January 11, 2019, 5:26 pm

I'm on board to keep Vonleh and would go up to $9M as you mention Cragg. I could easily see another team offering him $10M a year.

Mudiay is tough for me. Hard to get a read if this can be a key piece moving forward. He really has settled in nicely and is quite fun to watch. Consistency is still lacking, but he has shown more consistency this season than in any of his previous. That shows growth.

There's also the idea of having Mudiay's value up at the trade deadline and getting some sucker to bite and give us some picks.

And what the hell happened to Trey Burke?
"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
- Dr. Seuss

"Woody was the perfect coach for these mutts."
- taowave

"Is he REALLY injured?? A part of me doesnt believe that he is and I think he's just being a bitch. Bitch-nani."
- rynyk222
StevoStarks
Writer

Postby taowave » January 11, 2019, 6:32 pm

uuugghhhh..

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/2570 ... -picks-nba

If they land one of those or another star in July, the Knicks would have little money to offer their own free agents. These players can return on lower-salaried contracts, but that seems unlikely for a someone like Vonleh, who has already been pegged as a free-agent target by several opposing teams, per league sources.
taowave

Postby ISIAH_THOMAS » January 11, 2019, 11:55 pm

This team needs a point guard badly

Is morant the answer?

Zion over everybody but I'd be interested if they miss on number 1 pick what they do
TAKE THAT FOR DATA
ISIAH_THOMAS

Postby NYGM » January 12, 2019, 12:03 am

ISIAH_THOMAS wrote:This team needs a point guard badly

Is morant the answer?

Zion over everybody but I'd be interested if they miss on number 1 pick what they do

Take the next BPA..

I don't think you need a ball dominant PG to win right now..

What you must have is playmaking from different spots.. Not just at PG..
NYGM

Postby shakespeare » January 12, 2019, 2:52 am

You know, I was thinking the same: If we had a point guard that passed the ball, we’d resemble the Showtime Lakers.

He could be or I should say would be Magic.
THJ would be Norm Nixon.
Knox would be Michael Cooper.
Vonleh would be James Worthy.
And Kornet would be Kareem.

Fiz would be Pat Riley.
#TeamTank
shakespeare
Writer

Postby Don Che » January 12, 2019, 7:55 am

shakespeare wrote:You know, I was thinking the same: If we had a point guard that passed the ball, we’d resemble the Showtime Lakers.

He could be or I should say would be Magic.
THJ would be Norm Nixon.
Knox would be Michael Cooper.
Vonleh would be James Worthy.
And Kornet would be Kareem.

Fiz would be Pat Riley.

lmaoooo
Don Che

Postby shakespeare » January 12, 2019, 6:08 pm

Cam Reddish’s buzzer-beater against Florida State:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_ISdcpNRBME
#TeamTank
shakespeare
Writer

Postby NYGM » January 12, 2019, 10:01 pm

What we need is an impact player.. But also a complete player..

Like Shaq said he likes better players like Iverson, Kobe and MJ and that kind of basketball.. He doesn't like to watch teams like the Spurs and their ball movement..

I'm more inclined to build a team who share the ball and plays hard defense instead of a throwback 90's team..

That's why I would like a real star player in FA, a complete player who can show the kids what you need to win..
NYGM

Postby Don Che » January 13, 2019, 1:57 am

just build it slow ....and have them learn together ...this savior fantasy doesnt exist. KD isnt leaving the best team ever assembled to get socially abused for making the 6th seed.

just build a full team and do it right. draft well..dont take on stupid salaries ..get rid of your dumb ones and make smart contractual decisions
Don Che

Postby NYGM » January 13, 2019, 7:57 am

Don Che wrote:just build it slow ....and have them learn together ...this savior fantasy doesnt exist. KD isnt leaving the best team ever assembled to get socially abused for making the 6th seed.

just build a full team and do it right. draft well..dont take on stupid salaries ..get rid of your dumb ones and make smart contractual decisions

KD could have his own reasons to leave, you need to be ready..

Do you really think this team + KP and KD won't get over the 6th seed? I see a really high chance for a 4th seed I'm year 1..

KD is not coming alone, KP and our high pick and suddenly you can start attrack some interesting FA for once..
NYGM

Postby nazrmohamed » January 13, 2019, 10:13 am

^^^^nope. At least not as the team stands. Do I believe ve have the assets to then quickly build a team around them that could? Yes. So I guess I wouldn't worry about it either way but just be prepared to see an unrecognizable team. Guys with potential would be traded for guys who are known winners. Even role players. You'll see trades where guys like Knox and a future pick get traded for guys you know Knox will be better than, like Trevor Ariza cuz Ariza will help Durant and KP win in 2019, not 2023. Frank and Vonleh go for his lone Reddick cuz Reddick will help KD/KP win in 2019, not 2023.

So itll be bitter sweet is what I'm saying. And I just threw out some vets names, don't overanalyze it but you get the point. I wish we weren't a different direction but his abilities are undeniable. If he's available you almost have no choice and if KP himself needs to be traded to build Durant the team he needs it probably makes sense to do it.
Grady- Mario is the KD of tanking. Fiz got worried that playing Jordan would help the Knicks win, so he has to make sure Mario gets plenty of minutes.
nazrmohamed

Postby NYGM » January 13, 2019, 10:38 am

nazrmohamed wrote:^^^^nope. At least not as the team stands. Do I believe ve have the assets to then quickly build a team around them that could? Yes. So I guess I wouldn't worry about it either way but just be prepared to see an unrecognizable team. Guys with potential would be traded for guys who are known winners. Even role players. You'll see trades where guys like Knox and a future pick get traded for guys you know Knox will be better than, like Trevor Ariza cuz Ariza will help Durant and KP win in 2019, not 2023. Frank and Vonleh go for his lone Reddick cuz Reddick will help KD/KP win in 2019, not 2023.

So itll be bitter sweet is what I'm saying. And I just threw out some vets names, don't overanalyze it but you get the point. I wish we weren't a different direction but his abilities are undeniable. If he's available you almost have no choice and if KP himself needs to be traded to build Durant the team he needs it probably makes sense to do it.

I disagree..

Just like Lebron, KD would sing with a 3 year window at least.. Not looking to win right away, so no need to mortgage the future.. If he wants to win next season then should stay in GS.

Lakers are waiting for the big player to put besides LeBron and not necessarily this season, the goal is make the playoffs..

That's what I'm seeing in the future.. KD + KP would make this team a sure playoff team in the east and would make a run to a top 4.. Obviously you are looking for some guys to step up and some others to come cheap..

No need to trade Knox for Ariza unless you are a piece away for a championship..
NYGM

Postby Don Che » January 13, 2019, 10:51 pm

Screw it...since a small convo started about some SG's inthe game thread...i'll just give my scope of where I see things at the moment. I know its early and my mind and pov will change after we get more data on these prospects. I'll be covering the guards that are projected in the top 10.

First off- Let me start with context. in 2015 when we picked 4th...i was all about taking the best player...position didnt matter, Melo was done in my mind being a head honcho and we needed a cornerstone at any position. We pick KP and we werent smart enough to let Melo go when we should of and stayed in perglatory for a couple years after that(we are still trying to get rid of Melo's 17 mill in Kanter contract now but atleast we got Mitch out of it)
2017- I wanted a lead guard...i was good with Donovan or Frank...we took Frank so theres that.
2018- I was looking at a wing prospect that can capture our defensive identity...issue was...there wasnt any real defensive 3's..more like 2's pretending to be 3's...we take Knox and hes a flat out SCRUB on defense but on offense...i put him in the Houston/Rip/Tobias Harris type of guy which has major value if you get a PG that can set him up and a wing player that can lock up either wing spot.

and here we are....2019, all the years of PRAYING for this team to lose and get a high pick it has finally gotten towards the end of that process. Now going into the future we have 2 20+ scorers that are under 23 in Knox/KP and unlike most duo's I actually think their style of play is perfect for eachother because they dont need a lot of dribbles to get buckets/ they both can hit spot 3's/both run the floor and can score on all 3 levels.

What we need now tho...is the dude thats gonna have the crazy usage rate type of guy that can bring all the pieces together. I'm gonna tell you my red flags on each guard in the top of the pecking order. If you think another guard should be in the running lmk and if you have other thoughts on them please share it:

RJ: Real skinny frame/ not a elite athlete/not great range
Cam: No dog in his fight/defense is suspect/horrible shot selection/doesnt get to the rim at will
Ja: is he great or is his competition bad?/shot has a low release/skinny frame/high turnovers but he does everything
Culver: not a great athlete..hes average and handle is basic at this stage
Kevin Porter: All tools but doesnt know how to play the game likerunning pick and roll and seeing the game.
Garland: slight frame/not a great athlete
KZ Okpala: hasn't shown the ability to run an offense/get his shot off the dribble

All in all...1 of these 7 guys will be with us this year....Unless we win the lottery I dont see how we draft anything other than a guard this draft. I also like to see what players can't do first and see if those flaws are fixable and if its something the player has the IQ/Maturity/Love of the game that hes willing to fix. Out the bat I know Ja and Garland will always be skinny as hell but one thing I'll give Ja....that kid competes. Kevin Porter is an idiot on the floor but I also love how he competes...he rebounds/steals/blocks..hes not afraid to get busy. Cam is very smart...but hes the opposite hes rather complacent. KZ is a CRAZY prospect...kid is 6'8 or 6'9...has solid handle..shoots 48% from 3 and 50% from 2...but i dont see him being a lead guard with the ball but if he develops that...i really dont see why he's in the lower of the 10 and other guys like Rui is in the top 3 in mocks.

anyway...heres where I stand and I'll update on this after March...and Again in June
Don Che

Postby PistolPete » January 14, 2019, 10:25 am

Cavs win! Cavs win!
Damn it feels good to be a tankster.
PistolPete

Postby shakespeare » January 14, 2019, 5:28 pm

PistolPete wrote:Cavs win! Cavs win!
#TeamTank
shakespeare
Writer

Postby shakespeare » January 14, 2019, 6:42 pm

Don Che, I’m sure you’ll receive a kick out of this article regarding Cam Reddish:

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... ll-weekend

”He's a five-star wing who signed with Duke over Kentucky. At the Maui Invitational in November, an NBA exec called Reddish "the most talented player on the team ... If he would stop bulls****ing."
#TeamTank
shakespeare
Writer

Postby Don Che » January 14, 2019, 11:02 pm

lmaoooo that's great...want that dudes job
Don Che

Postby Don Che » January 15, 2019, 12:40 pm

“We’ve just got to have each other’s backs at the end of the day,” Brown said. “We can’t make comments, we can’t point fingers. We just have to continue to empower each other and have each other’s backs. If we don’t, if we start pointing fingers, everybody’s going to go into their own little shells. We’ve got to continue to play basketball. It starts from the top to the bottom. Not from the bottom to the top but the top to the bottom. We’ve got to continue to empower each other and make the best of this. We have a lot of talent, and we know what we’re capable of doing. We have to go out there and do it. Playing free, playing loose, having fun.”

Kyrie Irving walked back his comments on Monday blaming the young players on the Celtics.

“Sometimes I may come off and say things, never to question my teammates in public like that ever again, but I just want to win so bad,” Irving said. “I came from a place where I asked for a trade and I come in here and believe in this organization, and I want these young guys to be successful.”

“It’s not one guy’s fault,” Brown said. “It’s not young guys, old guys' fault. It’s everybody. We all have to be accountable to turn this thing around.

another reason i dont want Kyrie.....................................keep him away
Don Che

PreviousNext

Return to New York Knicks