So what's next?

Discuss New York Knicks news, current events, players, and history.

Moderators: wallace044, rtn393, Irv

taowave
Likes given: 844

GM...advantage Nets
Coach...Advantage Nets

spree#8 wrote:What Rusty says (about the Nets). We have the better cards in basically every department going forward.

To the question, what's next? For me: chilling. I'm not seeing anything unexpected, I'm better entertained than expected, I like the outlook and have no idea why anyone would be mad about anything right now. I expect one move to clear the center logjam before the trade deadline (if a worthwhile offer comes in) and expect the youth to get more playing time the further we dip under .500.
spree#8
Likes given: 547

taowave wrote:GM...advantage Nets
Coach...Advantage Nets
Lolololololololololo. The guy dodged a bullet with the Blazers matching his Crabbe offer sheet and what does he do? He trades for him a year later. Buhahahhahahahaha. Nice advantage. :thumbsup:

Also not sure what's so great about a coach who is an understudy of an offensive mastermind, yet Atkinson's offense is ranked 27th. If the Nets were the Knicks, y'all would shit on these two guys. Get real!
#knickstape
taowave

That Crabbe signing was awful...
Koopa Troopa
Likes given: 0

spree#8 wrote:What Rusty says (about the Nets). We have the better cards in basically every department going forward.

To the question, what's next? For me: chilling. I'm not seeing anything unexpected, I'm better entertained than expected, I like the outlook and have no idea why anyone would be mad about anything right now. I expect one move to clear the center logjam before the trade deadline (if a worthwhile offer comes in) and expect the youth to get more playing time the further we dip under .500.

Ill take Dinwiddie over every PG on the roster. Same with Levert. RHJ over Lee every day. Id rather have assets like Jarrett Allen and Joe Harris than Ron Baker and Lance Thomas. And Carrol and Crabbe over Noah and Kanter. What deluded reality are you guys living in that the Knicks situation is good? :?

The Nets are just exciting to watch and actually are a young team. A young team at every single position. Outside of THJ this team is dreadful to watch. What youth are you trying to watch? :?
Rusty La Rue
Likes given: 814

Koopa Troopa wrote:Ill take Dinwiddie over every PG on the roster. Same with Levert. RHJ over Lee every day. Id rather have assets like Jarrett Allen and Joe Harris than Ron Baker and Lance Thomas. And Carrol and Crabbe over Noah and Kanter. What deluded reality are you guys living in that the Knicks situation is good? :?

The Nets are just exciting to watch and actually are a young team. A young team at every single position. Outside of THJ this team is dreadful to watch. What youth are you trying to watch? :?
But where would Dinwiddie take you... nowhere... You say at least they try... but they do not win :hammer: That is the blueprint of a team that lacks talent... I never said the Knicks situation is especially good... I just said it is better than the Nets...

If we switched the two situations and pretended that the Nets are the Knicks... you would would still be one of the most negative people on here complaining about everything... But somehow the grass is always greener on the otherside...

You say they are young... It is true that the have a lot of mediocre young players on their roster... But they have their own Noah contract in Mozgov... besides that they have one of the worst contrats in the NBA in Crabbe... Their best player after Russell might be Carroll a 31 year old injury prone SF on a bad contract... They do not own their own draft pick this year... The only way they keep Okafor next season is if he sucks... You are all praising their GM but what has he really done? If Perry had traded for Crabbe you would be all over that move as the worst ever... The coach might be good... but he has not proven anything so far...

So Koopa keep trying to convince yourself that you would rather be in the Nets' situation... but trust me you wouldn't want that...
2023 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion
2020 Co-NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion
"Everybody gets excited about youth except the coach, because he knows youth means mistakes, mistakes mean losses, losses means you're fired."
spree#8

We had this argument multiple times. Our team now has the better youth, it has the better veterans, we have the better draft picks, our salary situation is the same. So as I said multiple times: I bet on the Knicks future, not on the Nets.
#knickstape
Koopa Troopa

Better youth in what world? Ill also say Levert is better than all the PG's on the Knicks roster and has more upside than all of them.

Nets lose because they make silly mistakes, not because they suck or dont compete. Its stuff that an actual young team does. Its not like NY where we throw all these vets out and have 2 young players and make pretend its a young team.
spree#8

Koopa Troopa wrote:Better youth in what world?

Nets lose because they make silly mistakes, not because they suck or dont compete. Its stuff that an actual young team does. Its not like NY where we throw all these vets out and have 2 young players and make pretend its a young team.
Everything starts with KP. Even if you think the Nets have more young talent depth that you like, that doesn't make up the gap between our best young prospect and theirs (Russell). BTW: I count 9 young players on our 15 men roster. But, hey, we don't have to argue about this, because we won't agree. It's a waste of time for both of us.
#knickstape
Koopa Troopa

We really dont have to argue because the stats are there. Knicks are older than most NBA teams.

I didnt even mention Russell because he isnt playing. Im talking about their third string guards that are better than the Knicks first round draft pick by a wide margin. Flip the channel over once or twice and see how Dinwiddie and Levert play.
spree#8

Average age after weighing it with playing time is what would interest me, although our is skewed a bit up because of the games Hardaway missed. Honest question: do you have the link to an article with that graphic? But anyways: younger on average doesn't equal better youth. C'mon now. You are better than that. Better youth = better young core. But as I said: like the Nets. I have nothing against it. I just wouldn't bet on them to have the better future, because we are in a better situation.
#knickstape
Don Che
Likes given: 9

I'd take KP over everyone on the nets and I'd only trade frank for levert even tho Frank is playing in the NBA at 18/19....levert was a freshman in college

Forget the stupid chart...who's Ur best/ most valueable 3 players? Are they under 26?.... then Ur a young team.
Don Che

Think next step is getting rid of guys who dont fit in today's NBA

I see us getting the 9th pick....take jarred Vanderbilt

Trade or let Kanter walk....same with Kyle

And go from there
taowave

WOW,are you that high on Levert or not that impressed with frank??
Don Che wrote:I'd take KP over everyone on the nets and I'd only trade frank for levert even tho Frank is playing in the NBA at 18/19....levert was a freshman in college

Forget the stupid chart...who's Ur best/ most valueable 3 players? Are they under 26?.... then Ur a young team.
Koopa Troopa

Leverts got a super quick crossover. A bit jank but really explosive. And he has hit some huge shots for them already this season. Hes a baller.

And heres another chart, this time weighted by minutes played like you asked Knicks are still in the top half. :?
Don Che

I think Koopa/H20/Yourself are all so jaded by our past...idt you guys can even grasp a good thing happening until your team gets 50 wins....aka being a finished product.

I like Frank..but during his draft I wanted Levert..i like upperclassmen playmakers at the wing in the late 1st/second round....in the lottery tho...i tend to go with physical tools/work ethic/defense and Frank has all that. My other guy was Mitchell

would i do an straight trade? no...but if we can get Rondai and Levert for Frank I'd do it. Since I'm also a big Rondai fan and i feel we lack cerebral defenders...RJ is an all defensive team talent. Back to CL tho

Levert was a 22 year old rookie put up ass numbers just like Frank is...now he's 23 and putting up solid numbers...solid rotation player numbers.

Frank is 19...he can be a scrub for another 2 years....and still is young enough to turn it around. I just think your pov is so skewed....even Kyle Lowry became an all star at 28...and a solid rotation guy at 26

not all good players kill the nba at 19....most player turn it around at 23 or so (I think Frank is gonna make a big jump next year or after, his work ethic/height/wingspan will set him apart)...and even some turn it around after that...its all about building the culture here and have everyone be on the same page.

I know it seems grim....but we are going in the right direction.
Ari_Ingus

Koopa Troopa wrote:Image
We really dont have to argue because the stats are there. Knicks are older than most NBA teams.

I didnt even mention Russell because he isnt playing. Im talking about their third string guards that are better than the Knicks first round draft pick by a wide margin. Flip the channel over once or twice and see how Dinwiddie and Levert play.
Silly chart. Jeesus...

If your starting 5 are 19 years old all, and then 10 players 40 years old is better than 30 year old starting lineup and next ten players 19 year old. It`s core what counts. Not some role players who wont be here next season or two, like Jack, Noah.

Also, they dont have yet a true franchise player. Which in my opinion is most important part. Add 2 years to KP, 1 superstar and there will be bunch of players and stars who will want to play for NYK. Nets still doesnt have the first piece. If next year we have potential to drastically decrease our starting lineup average years by Frank and maybe a good draft pick, Nets have nothing.

Just a bunch of young players who can be good. That is not enough

Also they are all ugly as hell. No one is going to root for them. It`s like Nets have Mandatory requirement - to be as ugly as possible.
Last edited by Ari_Ingus on January 22nd, 2018, 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
spree#8

Koopa Troopa wrote:Leverts got a super quick crossover. A bit jank but really explosive. And he has hit some huge shots for them already this season. Hes a baller.

And heres another chart, this time weighted by minutes played like you asked Knicks are still in the top half. :?
Thanks, Koop. :thumbsup: I did that calculation for the Knicks and Nets, so I can confirm their numbers, but was wondering about the rest and when I looked after stats like that I couldn't find anything quickly. Let's observe if our time weighted average age goes down the rest of the year as we all hope (especially if we fall further behind) and we crack the younger half of the league.
#knickstape
Rusty La Rue

Koopa Troopa wrote:And heres another chart, this time weighted by minutes played like you asked Knicks are still in the top half. :?
Yeah the Knicks have a couple of veterans who play significant minuttes... primarily Lee (32) & Jack (34)... but also Beasley & LT who are 29 but I am fine with that as long as we are chasing the playoffs...

When the playoffs are no longer realistic... then I would expect those minuttes to drop.

But isn't it more interesting to compare the core of young players the two teams have available. Below I have ranked the top 5 young players on each team

Knicks:
KP
Timmy
Kanter
Willy
Ntilikina

Nets:
Russell
RHJ
LeVert
Dinwiddie
Crabbe

Who in their right mind would prefer the 5 from the Nets :?
"Everybody gets excited about youth except the coach, because he knows youth means mistakes, mistakes mean losses, losses means you're fired."
Rusty La Rue

Sorry forgot Okafor... you can replace Crabbe with Okafor... but does it really make a diffenrence?
Koopa Troopa

Rusty La Rue wrote:Sorry forgot Okafor... you can replace Crabbe with Okafor... but does it really make a diffenrence?
Depends. So far I havent really even been impressed much by Okafor whereas Booker was solid every night. But they also have that kid Allen whos a legit 7 foot and 20 years old. Hes already a decent player and has a lot of room for growth. And with the emergence of Dinwiddie and Levert, Lin and Russell are expendable. They have more trade assets than the Knicks by far.

Plus I just have started to lose faith in KP as a legit number 1, especially with that anemia thing. And I lost faith in the Knicks ability to even keep KP in the long term. I like Tim and Kanter has really grown on me but you already know how I feel about Frank. Outside of KP I think Knick fans would rather have the Nets guys. You wanna be young, athletic and exciting right?

Who knows. Maybe if the teams swapped coaches it would be a different story. Knicks often are lethargic out there, Nets are always filled with energy. And again I only talk about the Nets because they are only a few channels away and are in a similar rebuild situation. Im not a turn coat. But it upsets me more when I see the team im a fan of do worse than a team that traded all of their assets away in that KG trade. The way the Nets have acquired all of this young talent without any draft picks for god knows how long is impressive to me. Meanwhile you watch our GMs stockpile old men who get replaced by D League players midseason.