2019 Draft Discussion

Discuss NCAA and international hoops and scout and evaluate players for the NBA Draft.

Moderators: wallace044, rtn393, Irv

NewlyKnicked
Likes given: 160

Tatum with an alpha dog inside... interesting comp for RJ :drool:

I couldn't see any of his games. Does he really have fundamental problems with his shot mechanic? Same question for Zion?
2017 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion
2020 Co-NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion
2021 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion
nazrmohamed
Likes given: 246

NewlyKnicked wrote:Tatum with an alpha dog inside... interesting comp for RJ :drool:

I couldn't see any of his games. Does he really have fundamental problems with his shot mechanic? Same question for Zion?
They are literally nothing alike and if Tatum were in this draft hed be the second pick instantly, probably deserving of the first except people love guys who drink hard.

Tatum compares very well to Melo with less inside dominance (Rookie to 4rth year Melo got to the rim with malace and THEN got progressively less athletic and more skilled in the jab step midrange) but also less hero ball to him. If you watch Tatum it's a series of jabs, spins, post ups and pullups from midrange that look so beautiful. I actually loved watching Melo operate and just like him I love watching Tatum operate.

RJ if anything is more like Westbrook who gets to the same spot more because hes got a size advantage than because he's purely athletic. But the same way as Westbrook you're not seeing a series of well put together moves. Hes coming straight at you and daring you to stop it. The risk is whether he'll be able to do that at an NBA with the same dominance
cragganmor
Likes given: 93

that type of bully ball can work in hs or ncaa but doesn't always translate to nba where the defenders are bigger, faster, stronger. i do like his lefty moves, the shake and long steps like the greek freak. surprised that despite his shifty moves, he's only 52% in 2 pt range. the 30% from deep needs work for sure; maybe needs to shoot fewer 3's but choose his spots better. the 67% from the stripe is not a good thing, needs to fix that. he is an awesome talent that can help his team so many ways, could be a triple double machine in pro ball.
Don Che
Likes given: 9

How would you guys compare Zion to the last generational talent IMO in Ben Simmons in college?

I gotta think about it
nazrmohamed

I think Simmons is a better prospect even if I ignore what he's done in the NBA. Statistically he was a better candidate and from a skillset perspective can do more things from a PF position than Zion. Granted he became a PG, at the time I thought he was a PF who had the added benefit of being a ball handler. But you know, this is a league where coaches forgot how to coach systems where skill comes from anywhere but PG so...
Don Che

um stat wise and looking at their conferences....Zion destroys Ben IMO

kid drops 20 with an insane % ...rebounding is about the same...passing goes to Ben and defense goes to zion

very different players but both are in the same position
nazrmohamed

He was getting triple doubles in college though and by himself. The only thing I worried about is that his team lost alot
Don Che

heard somewhere that Zion has the best advance metrics in college history lol....which is insane when you consider he plays for the biggest program in the country

but I was a huge Ben fan as well...hes still thr best player in Philly when looking at overall impact
nazrmohamed

The more I think about it the more I think that if we're going big in free agency there really isnt gonna be alot of room for a ton of young guys going forward. So what we should do is consolidate our picks into the best possible picks. In short I'd consider trading future picks for a second pick now in the lottery. And then if you fail in free agency you feel great about two top tier prospects added to what we already have. Imagine having Zion and Barrett on the same team? Maybe that's expecting too much but I'd be happy with Zion and Porter Jr. Estatic actually.

Get rookies so high in potential that maybe that's all you really need around Durant and somebody else.
Don Che

free agency at least from a max standpoint isnt going to happen. I'm thinking draft until KD signs the dotted line but if its Jimmy or kyrie I'm not changing my youth movement for them
nazrmohamed

Well then its still works. You get Zion and Porter and you're gonna really enjoy this rebuild. THATS HOW you jumpstart a rebuild. We need to land two lottery talents.
cragganmor

Duke vs Virginia was an excellent game. UVA did everything right, still lost.

Zion showed his otherworldlyness blocking Hunter's corner 3; that was helluva closeout.

I'm happy to bypass the star FA route. Stick to the draft, use cap space to make opportunistic trades so we get useful players without overpaying.
NewlyKnicked
Likes given: 160

Zion + Mitch will be the end of this 3pt splashing era!!!
2017 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion
2020 Co-NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion
2021 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion
nazrmohamed

NewlyKnicked wrote:Zion + Mitch will be the end of this 3pt splashing era!!!
:happy:
cragganmor

our second rounder is currently pegged at #51. some guys that could be there for us are eric paschall, cam johnson, brian bowen, darius bazley. getting a good d & 3 type would fill a need.
big_j_NY
Likes given: 1123

NewlyKnicked wrote:Zion + Mitch will be the end of this 3pt splashing era!!!
Cats said the same about Nerlens Noel & Anthony Davis when they were blocking 3 pt shots back in college.............now look at them now, fucking Davis is out here shooting 3s too now.

Zion will get with the 3 pt shooting program pretty easily once he is drafted to the NBA
Don Che

looking at the all stars this year

the only 6'7 player similar to RJ in height and weight is klay

Ben Simmons
Greek freak
kawhi
khris Middleton
paul george

all these guys have height wingspan and weight on RJ.

RJ better fix his shot ....if he wants to be an all star...the 2 is where it will be
cragganmor

Here's a great clip of Zion as a small ball C:

Duke erased a 23 pt hole, came back vs Louisville.
Don Che

Zion can play the 5-3 in spurts but his bread and butter is the 4.

and Cam looked great ....dude was the 2nd best player on the floor in stretches even the best.

Zion
Cam
Bol Bol are my top 3 based on where we are after the KP trade.
nazrmohamed

Didn't get to see the game but I'm happy for Cam. Hopefully the recent performances get him back into the top 3 when the dust settles. When was the last time one school produced the top 3 picks?