2018-2019 Tank er, Rebuild

Discuss New York Knicks news, current events, players, and history.

Moderators: wallace044, rtn393, Irv

nazrmohamed
Likes given: 246

Been my guy for a while but I may have to admit that Barrett is better. I am enamoured with his size. Listed as a 6'8 SG, and Barret a 6'7 SF but you never know. Measurements always screwed up this early. I think both are 6'7 and both can play either wing position.

Agreed though, you get into the top 3 and you got a shot at either of these players. I like Nassid little too. Not as offensively skilled but has a huge motor and developing offensive skill. Probably has more of a Butler or Kuwai learning curve.
ISIAH_THOMAS
Likes given: 52

David Fizdale says the first words the Knicks front office said to him during his interview were

"Tank? We will not ever tank" pic.twitter.com/sj4jO21fbP

Fxck Adam Silver
nazrmohamed

Of course he won't. His talent level will though
Don Che
Likes given: 9

you dont have to tank when your actually bad
gradyandrew
Likes given: 0

I was pretty excited to see what Knox and Frank would do this season, and sure liked Lance, Lee, and Hardaway but, Fuck man- Kawhi AND Butler with KP back in time for the playoffs?!? DYNASTY! I've never been more excited! For all my doubts about Perry making the Knicks a north eastern Magic, he really pulled it together by getting some assets and then trading them for disgruntled All Stars looking to play in the best city with the best fans. Its great that he realized the New York market will always be our biggest draw and the Knicks play by different rules. Way to fucking go!
Randle in the Rafters
H20Knick
Likes given: 3

gradyandrew wrote:I was pretty excited to see what Knox and Frank would do this season, and sure liked Lance, Lee, and Hardaway but, Fuck man- Kawhi AND Butler with KP back in time for the playoffs?!? DYNASTY! I've never been more excited! For all my doubts about Perry making the Knicks a north eastern Magic, he really pulled it together by getting some assets and then trading them for disgruntled All Stars looking to play in the best city with the best fans. Its great that he realized the New York market will always be our biggest draw and the Knicks play by different rules. Way to fucking go!
lol wut?
In Thibs we trust.

2018 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition CHAMPION
2015 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition CHAMPION
Don Che

gradyandrew wrote:I was pretty excited to see what Knox and Frank would do this season, and sure liked Lance, Lee, and Hardaway but, Fuck man- Kawhi AND Butler with KP back in time for the playoffs?!? DYNASTY! I've never been more excited! For all my doubts about Perry making the Knicks a north eastern Magic, he really pulled it together by getting some assets and then trading them for disgruntled All Stars looking to play in the best city with the best fans. Its great that he realized the New York market will always be our biggest draw and the Knicks play by different rules. Way to fucking go!

What do you know that we dont?

We dont have Kawhi nor Jimmy atm
gradyandrew

That's my alternative reality where the Knicks somehow dont suck.

Hopefully, Im proven wrong, and maybe a Butler trade was never going to happen, but the market price for those guys seemed way, way cheaper than it should be based on what they bring to the table. Is Derozan much better than THJ? As good as Marrakennan is, he was really just a pick trade that moved the Bulls up a few slots. I think picks were undervalued up until the Howard, Iggy, Aflalo, Bynum trade or so, but now are overvalued. Most picks turn out like Mario and Noah, far, far below those optimistic projections from draftexpress. While Philly is brought up again, again, and again as a model, it seems to me that the key ingredient to last seasons success was 'shortest arms in the NBA" JJ Reddick finally getting out of CPs shadow and showing himself as one of the craftiest veterans in the league. Just from an age perspective, until you hit 30, its really tough to be a leader and win. Even if your name is Michael Jordan or Lebron James.

And yeah, I do believe the New York market is different. Remember that profile article of Melo chomping on a cigar, talking about his business empire? The chances of that going down anywhere else are pretty nil. To be an All Star you pretty much need to have a super sized ego (unless you have an deep, deep secret that would get you ostracized without the protection of your organization, ahem, Tim Duncan). Soto use the same play book without realizing that, you know, its New fricking York, seems stupid to me.
Randle in the Rafters
shakespeare

Don Che wrote:you dont have to tank when your actually bad
This.
#TeamTank
shakespeare

Hi.
#TeamTank
Don Che

shakespeare wrote:Hi.
Lmao they are competing which is what we want but overall we just dont have the talent to survive without competing hard.

I see 27 wins if KP sits the year..which he should
Red

Might not seem so on the surface but I'm willing to bet KP'S basketball life flashed in front of his and his rep's eyes as he almost suffered a catastrophic injury, especially considering how important the 2nd contract is in a player's career.

Added, we didn't extend him- although one wants to believe that had to do with opening additional cap space. I'm sure it felt like disappointment if we consider what KP and his camp felt when he first began to show signs of belonging in the league. I'm sure they were all looking forward to that extension and 2nd contract.

That contract says you belong; there's demand; and you'll be compensated accordingly all one has to do while performing well is stay healthy. Because his knee went out at an inopportune time and almost sabotaged his dream- I'm betting on his return in t-minus 123 days.

This is considering the pc talk from the FO. He's important and they will hope to build around him and make him a Knick for life etc. but obviously that's predicated on his health.

Kp and his rep (his bro.) heard all the talk about us matching any offer when he's restricted I'm sure but there is one lesson in particular we must assume they (Kp and his camp) have learned... who says those who said it will still be here when the time arrives? The inconsistency in management that kP has witnessed since being here has to be part of his reality.

Given all he's been through and including the fact that once a player is healed from an acl, keeping him out longer does nothing- he must begin to play at full speed on his repaired knee, waiting longer has no benefit once he's healed. He won't take the chance of the league questioning his abilities at this important juncture and he wants to make sure that he's a part of what we're building because if we thrive without him his value will continue to diminish.

Bottom line is from KP and his camps standpoint his value took a hit at the wrong time and they need to increase or return it to where it was and they can't do that rehabbing. They'll realize they need to get his value up sooner than later. That although no one is saying it time isn't on their side.

KP still has value on a bad wheel. The realization of that value is expressed via contract #2. The longer he waits to demonstrate that value the lower it goes. The only way to maintain that value is by playing good. The best time to demonstrate he can still play at a high level is by coming back when the team has chemistry and is already thriving. On the bench I'm sure KP sees first hand the possibility of us improving over time. He and his camp cannot take the chance that we'll improve so much without them. It will diminish his value.

He has to prove he's the missing piece worth the wait. And I'm sure KP who seems savvy on American culture knows the Jerry Mcquire line show me the money. I'm sure in the back of their minds they know all too well "this is a business". They seen tiffs with management. They've seen franchise players getting traded. They've seen regime changes. They know the deal.

From a business standpoint- the sooner KP reestablishes his worth the more leverage he'll have. Conversely the longer he waits the more likely he'll wind up being someones bitch meaning he could easily find himself in a bad situation. He'd rather control his destiny like good players do.

My gut says he'll target February 2019 to return as a business decision.
The Mecca of Mess
Don Che

I see your point but I dont see how KP playin this year helps us unless we make the playoffs
Red

It gives us an advanced look at the squad with KP. Gives potential FA's the same.

The difference between making the playoffs and not in the East could be a few games in all likelihood, he may make that difference.

Perhaps if he can go that makes someone else expendable?

Other than precautionary I don't see any reason to wait over an entire season .
The Mecca of Mess
Don Che

I'm not interested in free agency this summer

we will be a bad team

bad teams dont get big free agents unless they were sold on it regardless.

I think ppl over think this a bit.

if KD wants to be here hes not gonna depict this on KP playing 20 games and guess what....he wont look good in those 20 games. the NBA at the 50 game mark has everyone in mid season form. Expecting a player to jump in and lure free agents is crazy.

Perry needs to tell KP hes getting the max and relax....we need to get a top 5 pick....and if a max guy wants to come...cool if not....cool just resign the young guys that progress and keep going at it.
Red

You're going to tell KP he's getting the max and relax without seeing him play after tearing his acl?

You're telling me a top tier free agent isn't interested in the best player on a prospective team?

If it takes over 20 games to get back into shape, would you rather those be 20 games at the end of a losing season or the first to begin a season?

If you give KP the max regardless what's the difference in doing that with an Amare Stoudemire?

You think taking yourself out of the FA race next summer without fully knowing your options and reading the landscape in October is best?
Don Che wrote:I'm not interested in free agency this summer

we will be a bad team

bad teams dont get big free agents unless they were sold on it regardless.

I think ppl over think this a bit.

if KD wants to be here hes not gonna depict this on KP playing 20 games and guess what....he wont look good in those 20 games. the NBA at the 50 game mark has everyone in mid season form. Expecting a player to jump in and lure free agents is crazy.

Perry needs to tell KP hes getting the max and relax....we need to get a top 5 pick....and if a max guy wants to come...cool if not....cool just resign the young guys that progress and keep going at it.
The Mecca of Mess
cragganmor
Likes given: 93

Agree with Don, we ARE a bad team. However, we can be a bad team with a future; we have to be tough, dogged and competitive in every game. Show that we lack that missing piece FA. That would give us a chance in the market.

Either way, happy to stick with rebuilding via the draft. I think it depends on how well Fiz develops our players and how well Perry manages assets/needs; those should be the drivers.
Don Che

I would give KP the max with insurance policies like Embid

and I'd rather him go thru training camp and preseason to build it up like everyone else

I want RJ Barret and KP

I dont want Chris Wilkes and KP just to see him play 20 games.

as for free agents....the only max guy is KD. and if KD chooses us after winning 3 rings and being on the greatest team ever....I highly doubt us being a 8th seed or the worst team without kp means anything to him..hes coming here for a new challenge and what we are building here....and the 1st pick is a lot more of a building block than anything else.

same idea with Kawhi
nazrmohamed

Red wrote:It gives us an advanced look at the squad with KP. Gives potential FA's the same.

The difference between making the playoffs and not in the East could be a few games in all likelihood, he may make that difference.

Perhaps if he can go that makes someone else expendable?

Other than precautionary I don't see any reason to wait over an entire season .
I can easily see this happening. Good series of posts from you Red. People gotta understand KP sitting out all year is just one part of fandoms viewpoint. Its definitely not in his own best interest and there no proof that's it's really in the best interest of the team either.

Personally I only care to see him for the last month. That's a big enough sample size for the league to know what they need to know. Hed be fully healed and no feeling that he is rushing anything. What's a month's time, 15 games?

:hmm: :happy: nah I want a month and a half lol. I really hope Knox got his shit together by then though. Frank too
Don Che

Knox should use this time to watch film and really focus on shot selection and defense 1st.