Starting lineup

Discuss New York Knicks news, current events, players, and history.

Moderators: wallace044, rtn393, Irv

NYGM
Likes given: 490

NewlyKnicked wrote:To me Frank is a guard and then we just need balance in our backcourt, meaning the other guard needs to be an offensive weapon. Atm it's either Burke or THJ, each with very different offensive skillsets. I'd go with THJ preferably

So lineup
Frank
THJ
Knox
Lance
Enes

Trier earned the right to show what he can do in a real game as a backup
If I remember correctly Harden didn't come to the league with that handles, he was a scoring guard..

Frank doesn't fit the Curry, Irving, Lillard mold so what?

Can he be effective doing other things? I think so..

Are you asking him to get in trouble trying to go by everyone? Not smart at all.. That's why you have 5 players on the court .

I know Frank's handles area not as advanced but he can play, he has the fundamentals of making the simple and right play, that's it..

He's been more agressive and taking advantage of what he has (size and length), so that fine with me..

What we need is to give him the chance to learn by fire this season..

If he outgrows the PG position then he's still a skilled guard who can defend and play alongside most guards being effective and impacting the game a lot..

He's going to be a 2 way player so a winning player for sure..
Don Che
Likes given: 9

Harden is an anomoly and replicating that is impossible.

let Frank be Frank
shakespeare
Likes given: 0

taowave wrote:
Frank is either a 1 or a backup 1/2.Hes not a 3.
Agreed.

I’ve said all along that Ntili is nothing more than a backup.

But for the sake of salvaging the 9th pick in the draft, I’d like to see him at the 3 to see how he’d look as a point wing or 3 & D player. I’m willing to bet it all that Ntili won’t ever be a starting point guard in this league. For the Knicks nor any other team.
#TeamTank
shakespeare

If New York drafts the top point guard in next year’s draft, there will still be fans who’d believe Ntili should start.

Like, at some point, you have to play the best player at the position.
#TeamTank
shakespeare

I recall a video of Shumpert stripping Wade numerous times in a playoff game.

Wade’s career at Marquette was better than Shumpert’s entire NBA career.
#TeamTank
spree#8
Likes given: 547

YouTube blocked in PRC

nazrmohamed wrote:
I'm glad you brought this up and it's as little off topic but I thought it was just me. What's going on with the functionality of this site?
I come for the conversation, I feel like I know you guys but I remember when a YouTube video would just appear like an image and you could directly watch a video without the link. I remember entire threads with images galore and now I don't see that anymore and at first I thought it was because I do this all via my phone and it was not supported. Are you guys having issues as well?

All anybody posts are links nowadays.
Test:
[youtube]yPLT0pnha2Y[/youtube]
#knickstape
spree#8

^
Looks fine for me. (The video, not the roster). :LOL:
Last edited by spree#8 on October 10th, 2018, 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#knickstape
NYGM

Don Che wrote:Harden is an anomoly and replicating that is impossible.

let Frank be Frank
Not saying he's on Harden's level..

But players can improve and evolve..

I don't want him to be like Harden at all, just to develope into a 2 way player with excellent defense..
NYGM

shakespeare wrote:If New York drafts the top point guard in next year’s draft, there will still be fans who’d believe Ntili should start.

Like, at some point, you have to play the best player at the position.
You can make the case for Frank to start due his preseason performance..

The problem is being set on him being a backup when he's showing progress..

Some people could see him avg 10/6/6 and still complain about him not being flashy enough or able to "break down the defense", etc, etc..

Let's say some prefer to bet in the development of great defensive players rather than banking on some scoring minded guys to play some defense.. We already had our share of the lastest.. :arrow:
spree#8

To add to my last post: My test looks fine on my laptop, but the plug-in is not supported on my phone.
#knickstape
big_j_NY
Likes given: 1127

spree#8 wrote:To add to my last post: My test looks fine on my laptop, but the plug-in is not supported on my phone.
TBH, that could the source of the problem for both grady's and nazr's issues of not being able to see YouTube videos in the posts on here.

I know nazr mentioned that he uses his phone to go on to NYKFP a lot, so that could be the problem rite there.

I've tested it myself by using your post as a reference, spree. The embed YouTube video can be seen fine on my desktop PC AND it could work on my Samsung Galaxy S7's Google Chrome browser as well.

So it appears embed media content from this site will vary different among different mobile platforms depending on which phones have the right plugins and such available to use.
maxinquaye11
Likes given: 6

nazrmohamed wrote:
Actually I'll give you some ammunition but now you'll have to listen to Max jump all over it in

Lol, on Frank's French team they actually ran a 2 PG lineup and Frank was the off guard. But before you jump all over it just know in Europe everyone plays like the Spurs and Warriors. Everybody can score, everybody can dribble, everybody can pass. Frank played PG roughly 50% of the time.

Look, I'm open to him playing SG if that's what ultimately happens but to me what you guys are doing is different. It's a lack of patience in the development process. He hasn't played the position long enough to determine that hes not a pg at all VS hed just not a fully developed PG. But you know what will ensure he's never a pg? That's right, a move to SF. You're basically giving up and for what, so you can win 30 rather than 20 with Trey Burke, a pg whose never gonna be a starter on an upper tier team.
Ammunition received naz thank you very much. After giving it some thought and reading everyone's reaction on Frank playing the 3, I think some of us here are just concerned that frank will just turn into another defensive but passive Iman Shumpert with no handles. Remember him? The one who played better of-the-bench and did well as an sf playing alongside a 2PG? The similarities to frank in terms of strength (defrnse) and weakness (handles) are undeniable with moxy being the only obvious difference.

I don't like what im seeing with Knox hence THJ as starter. I hope kevin proves me wrong though. I wasn't as high on him as everyone else was when he tore it up in the summer league. I preferred bridges who to me is a prototype sf than can help our frontcourt more than our backcourt especially in the rebis department.

My five is still:

Burke
Ntilikina
THJ
Lance
Kanter

If only coach fiz did not mention that lance is already a lock I wouldve started Knox as PF. He can rebound and dribble up the court like what Hezo is doing. This adds alot to our pace. The leadership lance gives will be provided by Burke and Kanter. THJ should play off the bench but I see him getting better and I want three pointers from all positions hence Ntili as off guard where he shoots better. The defense that Lance brings will be coming from ntili who will infect everyone. We really a floor general and the best one we have is Trey.
Last edited by maxinquaye11 on October 10th, 2018, 5:21 pm, edited 4 times in total.
 " Stat at 3 was code for Melo playing in the low post..." - n8 the gr8

"I don't ever wanna hear anyone bash max's 2 pg love again." - H20Knick

"Cant lie, he did play better off the bench." - nazrmohammed
Don Che

Frank is smarter and a better athlete...also have faith in him being a better shooter.

but pre injury Iman is the best athlete we've had this century outside of Nate Robinson...Iman legit covered an entire portion of the court.

smh hope Murray recovers better than he did.
shakespeare

NYGM,

1) Frank is not the best point guard on this roster.
2) Frank is not a great defensive player.
3) 10, 6, and 6 is average.
4) Today’s NBA is filled with scoring-minded point guards.
5) Name all the starting point guards in the league that are slow as molasses and can’t shoot? Take your time.
#TeamTank
shakespeare

Don Che,

If New York drafts the top point guard in the ‘19 Draft, what would then be your outlook on Frank Ntilikina’s career in New York?
#TeamTank
maxinquaye11
Likes given: 6

Don Che wrote:Frank is smarter and a better athlete...also have faith in him being a better shooter.

but pre injury Iman is the best athlete we've had this century outside of Nate Robinson...Iman legit covered an entire portion of the court.

smh hope Murray recovers better than he did.
Iman being young fully recovered from the injury. He lit it up during the 54 win season. He was already doing put back dunks and was back to his ball hawking ways. Perhaps frank is more intelligent and has a stronger mind. The problem with Iman really was that he couldnt handle the expectations hence him playing better off the bench. The progress you all saw with Frank this pre season is coach fiz bot wanting to mess ntili's young and fragile mind by slowly bringing him off the bench and playing him more at off guard.
 " Stat at 3 was code for Melo playing in the low post..." - n8 the gr8

"I don't ever wanna hear anyone bash max's 2 pg love again." - H20Knick

"Cant lie, he did play better off the bench." - nazrmohammed
Don Che

shakespeare wrote:Don Che,

If New York drafts the top point guard in the ‘19 Draft, what would then be your outlook on Frank Ntilikina’s career in New York?
Thats a great question Shakes.

I think how Frank progresses this year will guide me on how I view it. And based on the PG's in this draft..I can easily see Frank play next to them.

I view Frank as a defensive guard atm...I dont think Mudiay nor Burke will be here next year. So if we do draft a PG like:

Darius Garland

Ja Morant

I can see Frank play the 2 next to them. If I'm a PG that is good off the dribble and shoot it well....I'd love to play with Frank. He guards whoever I cant and he allows me to get shots on the ball and off and if Frank gets his shooting tight which I see him progressing in...I can easily see Frank being out Thabo Sefolosha/Avery Bradley type guy but with the ability to hit open jumpers and run a pick and roll at any time...Frank is 6'6 with a 7 foot wingpsan which is comparable to Thabo who is a bit bigger but Thabo was just as much a 3 man than a guard like Frank is.

and while Avery/Thabo/Cooper arent flashy players and arent the guys that carry you to the playoffs but those are the guys that help you win games in the playoffs..and Frank in time can be that guy. Avery really got into his own at 23. Thabo was 22 as a rook..Cooper as well. I dont see a reason why Frank can't bring what those guys bring at EITHER guard spot.

so yeh if we draft a PG...I'm still good with Frank...If we draft a SG that likes to handle like:

Quentin Grimes

Killa Cam

same rules apply for Frank.
Don Che

Max, Iman got "healthy" but he wasnt defending like he wasprior to the injury. It was just different. Laterally he was never the same. Vertically he was in time.

Either way on paper they are similar but in real life and watching them they are very different.

Plus at 19 Iman was a back up at GT i think...Frank is potentially starting in the NBA.
NYGM

spree#8 wrote:To add to my last post: My test looks fine on my laptop, but the plug-in is not supported on my phone.
Works great in my phone
NYGM

Ian Begley

@IanBegley
Something worth noting about Frank Ntilikina: dating back to the middle of last year, when teams call the Knicks about potential trades, one of the players they ask most often about is Ntilikina. To date, New York hasn’t had any interest in trading the second-year guard.

4:55 PM - Oct 9, 2018