Retrospective (short) analysis on Patrick Ewing

Discuss New York Knicks news, current events, players, and history.

Moderators: wallace044, rtn393, Irv

big_j_NY
Likes given: 1123

[youtube]z5MzXyhRWk0[/youtube]

Found this on the NY Knicks (fan) subreddits
Don Che
Likes given: 9

never heard that MJ felt he wont win unless he learns to pass.

same thing I'd say about KP
big_j_NY

Don Che wrote:never heard that MJ felt he wont win unless he learns to pass.

same thing I'd say about KP
That shocked me too............wasn't MJ criticized for "not passing enough" in the mid-to-late 80s (i.e. Kobe) before he was able to win a title in 91 when he was "passing" in Phil's Triangle?
shakespeare
Likes given: 0

Thanks for posting.

Ewing is definitely one of the greatest big men the game had known, bar none.
#TeamTank
Don Che
Likes given: 9

Big ...the ppl that said MJ couldnt win were the same guys that said Lebron couldnt win....aka idiots.

MJ and Kobe both were said to be that but still dished out 6 assists or even 7.

they aren't like Lebron in passing but those numbers are just fine.

if you score over 24ppg and want to win....you need to be over 5 assists as a wing player... 3 or 4 as a big man.

I havent see ewing's assist numbers but curious how it compares to Hakeem and Shaq who ran that decade
cheftom
Likes given: 3

The player you have to pass to has to have a better chance than you to score. Often not the case for Ewing. I agree that had his hands been bigger, he would have been unstoppable. But I would contend that the reason Ewing didn't get assists was in part due to his passing skills and in part due to the recipients of his passes. Some of our great defenders in that era were spotty (or shitty) scorers.
Overly optimistic about the Knicks since 1974
big_j_NY

cheftom wrote:The player you have to pass to has to have a better chance than you to score. Often not the case for Ewing. I agree that had his hands been bigger, he would have been unstoppable. But I would contend that the reason Ewing didn't get assists was in part due to his passing skills and in part due to the recipients of his passes. Some of our great defenders in that era were spotty (or shitty) scorers.
And would you look at that...........sudden memories of John Stark consistently bricking his shots in both Game 5 and Game 7 of the 1994 NBA Finals start coming back to me now

:sadno: :sadno: :cry:
gradyandrew
Likes given: 0

Ewing was a monster on defense who in the modern NBA would have probably taken about half as many shots. His go to moves were pump fakes for 10 ft jumpers and hook shots while moving across the top of the key, statistically bad shots that are hardly even attempted anymore. That was the era of mostly one on one play and kudos to Ewing for developing those shots into a 20+ppg career. He'd be an absolute monster in the modern NBA, averaging 15 reb and 5 blocks and multiple DPOY awards. I'm so happy that Fiz sought him out and I loved Kanter's comment that you don't meet many 7 ft guys who can speak so well. Hopefully this is the first step in reestablishing a relationship with the franchises sll time great and finally ending that awful curse that has been with us since trading him. He should have played every game of his career in the orange and blue.
Randle in the Rafters