Preseason Game 2: Knicks @ Brooklyn 10/3 - 7:30 PM ET

Discuss New York Knicks news, current events, players, and history.

Moderators: wallace044, rtn393, Irv

nazrmohamed
Likes given: 251

Trier is definitely more of an attacking SG than a pg. The guy never passes. Its fine for now. He is an undrafted player trying to prove he belongs. History shows whether right or wrong that people remember scorers. If he came out, although its important, and played hard defense, passed it everytime and finished with 5pts, 3assists and basically a couple grinder stats we wouldn't be talking about him today.

However one he's an NBA player I'm sure more accountability will be on that portion of his game.
cragganmor
Likes given: 93

Ultimately, I see Trier as a big combo guard; can envision Zo, Frank and Knox at 1-3 taking turns initiating the offense. No true PG in that scenario, but they share the ball, contribute by attacking the weakest defender.
thewatcher
Likes given: 2681

I agree with spree. Trier and Burke have similar skill sets that play well with Frank. Thj is more catch and shoot. If Frankie is the linchpin, and I believe he is, you find the guy who plays best with him when you plan for the future. No hurry. I'm down with the Michigan backcourt to start the season. But I'm telling you nikilita Trier and Mitch are going to
electrify the Garden. Not to mention Knox.
n8 the gr8 wrote:
The first rule of NYKFP is you don't talk about NYKFP.
spree#8
Likes given: 547

taowave wrote:You will do anything for your THj.. :thumbsup:

Trier is a 2,so is Thj..They are both chuckers..

Trey is 6 ft tall and a PG..He does not have the same role as Trier..If Burke wants a starting job in the NBA,he better learn to pass the rock and run a squad..

It's Trier vs ThJ..
It's not and you know it. Trier is fighting for a spot on the roster (basically fighting for his shot at an NBA life), while THJ will be a cornerstone in the rotation likely leading us again in minutes per game. The same thing you say about Trey is also true for Trier, because if he wants to become a starter at some point in the future, he has to learn the same things. Right now he is a scoring combo guard a la Lou Williams, dominating the ball whenever he can/is allowed to. Perfect guy off the bench, same role Burke would play if he came off the bench. THJ on the other hand is a prototypical shooting guard that plays mostly within an offense. Not comparable in style nor status at all.
#knickstape
spree#8

thewatcher wrote:I agree with spree. Trier and Burke have similar skill sets that play well with Frank. Thj is more catch and shoot. If Frankie is the linchpin, and I believe he is, you find the guy who plays best with him when you plan for the future. No hurry. I'm down with the Michigan backcourt to start the season. But I'm telling you nikilita Trier and Mitch are going to
electrify the Garden. Not to mention Knox.
Exactly.
#knickstape
StevoStarks
Likes given: 9

thewatcher wrote:No rebound is head coach Glass and koop his assistant s
I promoted Stevo and cragg because they recognized Trier in SL. I had to demote Tao for the same reason.
Haha, this is hilarious. But hey, we saw the same thing. My brother went to UofA and loves Trier. Said we got a steal on draft night so I was excited to see him in summer league. He has not disappointed.
"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
- Dr. Seuss

"Woody was the perfect coach for these mutts."
- taowave

"Is he REALLY injured?? A part of me doesnt believe that he is and I think he's just being a bitch. Bitch-nani."
- rynyk222
thewatcher

taowave wrote:Watcher,you will come crawling back to me when the regular season starts,and the hype train gets massively derailed.
Tank is on whether you homers like it or not.. :drunk:

[
tao you're still on my scout team. I'm watching to see if Mario is the bust you believe him to be. So far you look accurate.
n8 the gr8 wrote:
taowave
Likes given: 844

Of course it is..Thj and Trier are Chuckers/ball stoppers and they Both play the 2.If you cant see that,you arent watching basketball.

Burke is a totally different beast...Hes a trigger happy PG who better start setting his team mates up.Fwiw,as trigger happy as he is,his A/to ratio was close to 4-1...

your logic and reasoning is flawed,and the confirming factor is Watcher :happy:

Watcher is now basing who plays with who based on Frank???

Spree,are you saying Burke is competing with Hicks???

SG's compete with SG's..PG's compete with PG's..

End of story...Enter Watcher

spree#8 wrote:
It's not and you know it. Trier is fighting for a spot on the roster (basically fighting for his shot at an NBA life), while THJ will be a cornerstone in the rotation likely leading us again in minutes per game. The same thing you say about Trey is also true for Trier, because if he wants to become a starter at some point in the future, he has to learn the same things. Right now he is a scoring combo guard a la Lou Williams, dominating the ball whenever he can/is allowed to. Perfect guy off the bench, same role Burke would play if he came off the bench. THJ on the other hand is a prototypical shooting guard that plays mostly within an offense. Not comparable in style nor status at all.[/quote]
taowave

Mario has a shot as opposed to Mudiay...

We need a PG who makes his team mates better..

im waiting for Burke to otch 10 assists

thewatcher wrote:
[
tao you're still on my scout team. I'm watching to see if Mario is the bust you believe him to be. So far you look accurate.[/quote]
NYGM
Likes given: 487

Ian Begley
ESPN Staff Writer

David Fizdale says Clyde Frazier was at the practice facility speaking with Knicks guards recently. He says he wants Frazier to spend time with the club’s young backcourt
:clap:
jhovarules
Likes given: 0

Mudiay MUST get better or get cut for Trier.

He can't pass, he can't shoot, he can't defend...which is weird because he is big and strong.

He seems so out of it when he gets on the court...very surprising...and to think...I wanted us to draft him when he came out in the draft a few years ago...lol.
rebound
Likes given: 1141

Muddy is a few months younger than Trier.
I guess I am just trying to play devil's advocate. Muddy does indeed suck but there's no way the Knicks waive him over Baker(25),Dotson(24),and Kornet(23, but more likely to do with Vonleh taking his spot).

Maybe Noah budges on a buy out within 45 days and this roster problem solves itself.
TOM THIBODEAU'S NEW YORK KNICKS PRESENT:
HEROBALL. A STORY OF THE MID RANGE FADEAWAY JUMPER.
STARRING JALEN BUMSON AND DUBIOUS HANDLES.
shakespeare

Mudiay slander will not be tolerated.

Truth be told, besides Burke, all of our point guards suck.
#TeamTank
shakespeare

Hahaha @ Muddy.

Hilarious.
#TeamTank
shakespeare

taowave wrote:Mario has a shot as opposed to Mudiay.
Well actually, we’ve better forwards on the teams than guards.

Hezonja isn’t supplanting neither Porzingis nor Knox, ever.

Ever, ever.
#TeamTank
spree#8

taowave wrote:Of course it is..Thj and Trier are Chuckers/ball stoppers and they Both play the 2.If you cant see that,you arent watching basketball.

Burke is a totally different beast...Hes a trigger happy PG who better start setting his team mates up.Fwiw,as trigger happy as he is,his A/to ratio was close to 4-1...

your logic and reasoning is flawed,and the confirming factor is Watcher :happy:

Watcher is now basing who plays with who based on Frank???

Spree,are you saying Burke is competing with Hicks???

SG's compete with SG's..PG's compete with PG's..

End of story...Enter Watcher
Heh? What is this? There won't be any competition between Trier and THJ. Trier is not a pure SG and he has no opportunity to beat out THJ. Trier is a combo guard that has to learn how to play the point, like so many combo guards before him if they want to be more than a change of pace guard off the bench (which is BTW a great role on a team). They play a totally different game. THJ stopping the ball? Lol. https://stats.nba.com/players/touches/? ... OUCH&dir=1

Trier also wouldn't even have a chance to start besides Burke (because their game is so similar) instead of THJ, so if Trier's opportunity to start down the road means that Ntilikina has to beat out Burke first, what does that say about your hypothetical competition? It won't happen right now. You might not like it, but THJ is penciled in.

Funny that you don't see a difference in style (calling both simply chuckers), but tell other people to watch basketball. :arrow:

Burke is just ways ahead of Trier in his development, but is a guy Trier could try to model his game after and a guy whose level he could reach if he uses his better defensive potential to his advantage.
#knickstape
taowave

Trier WAS/is a ball stopper who is not bashful..He's 6'5" and is a 2. ThJr is a streaky 2 with average Bball intelligence. No one sane,is saying Trier will take Tim's job,but they MAY share minutes.Trier is NOT playing the point.Stop right there.Hes going to play the same position Tim does..I have no idea what you are debating..if you think Trier is more of a one than a two,than we are watching different games...

As for Burke,he needs to distribute much better.Hes a one,or he's done.
thewatcher

Yeah I see Trier starting next to Nikki in a year or two. they cover each other weeknesses. Does it really matter who you call the pg?
n8 the gr8 wrote:
taowave

Wait until Spree sees this.. :happy:

Until then, it appears that yoi feel either Frank or Zo may beat out Tim by next year.Interesting..ild love to know how they compliment each other.Regardless,Tim is out according to you.. :thumbsup:

You
thewatcher wrote:Yeah I see Trier starting next to Nikki in a year or two. they cover each other weeknesses. Does it really matter who you call the pg?
thewatcher

I would wait all year. Let the young guys get better. Let Burke and Tim prove me wrong. They compliment each other because Nikki is pass first and will end up more similar to pippen than you think. Give it 2years, he has to gain more weight. But a beta needs an alpha and since Trier breaks his man off the dribble he will get passing lanes. The defense speaks for itself. 6"5 and 6'7.
n8 the gr8 wrote: