Knicks 2018-2019 roster discussion

Discuss New York Knicks news, current events, players, and history.

Moderators: wallace044, rtn393, Irv

gradyandrew
Likes given: 0

Just did some reading up on trier, after he was in a car accident he was apparently treated with a steriod that caused him to test positive in his sophmore and junior season. Those tests seemed to have derailed what would/ could have been a lottery pick profile. So really solid move by the front office in taking a chance on him and Mitch, despite having little to go on.

I didnt watch summer league but Knox's coast to coast ability is awesome. He can grab a rebiund in traffic and just take it the whole way down for a layup.

The defense is a huge work in progress but there seems to be lots of communication. Because of the amount of switching it looks like a zone defense a lot of times. Kanter is lost out there, but thats old news .
Randle in the Rafters
Don Che
Likes given: 9

I originally wrote a novel about my thoughts on him and figured..i see what Drafexpress had and quoated the things I like and dislike below.

At 6-5 and 199 pounds, Trier has just decent size for his natural off-guard position at the next level. His 6-6 wingspan isn't particularly impressive either. - Source: http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/All ... ier-70279/ ©DraftExpress

Trier's calling card as an NBA prospect lies in his scoring ability. He has a quick first step and an advanced series of crossover combinations that enable him to get into the lane fairly consistently when paired with his aggressive mindset. - Source: http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/All ... ier-70279/ ©DraftExpress

Still, for all of his talent offensively, it's hard not to get frustrated with Trier's ball-stopping tendencies and apparent lack of interest with court spacing. - Source: http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/All ... ier-70279/ ©DraftExpress

Defensively, Trier has the tools to be an effective perimeter defender at the next level. He's quick laterally and embraces assignments against top players in his conference. It's no coincidence that Trier had arguably his best defensive showing as a freshman against California, when he matched up against lottery pick Jaylen Brown. - Source: http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/All ... ier-70279/ ©DraftExpress

All in all...he has offensive skills scoring instincts and a competitor and i think this team lacks actual competitors. Thats why I wanted Noah...we have a lot of players but not aggressors.

Trier is a fringe rotation guy ..if he wants to be more he needs to add spot 3 point shooting to his game and an ability to attack and kick to the right guy.

and even then a 6'5 SG with a 6'6 wingspan may get exposed against good elite wings. What saves him is his wide frame and he doesnt seem slow laterally...he's built like Joe Dumars....issues its not 1989 and most SG's are built much bigger.
thewatcher
Likes given: 2607

Trier and Nikki make a huge backcourt. Don't see him as undersized at all. Don't see him as fringe player and I don't think FIZ does either.
n8 the gr8 wrote:
The first rule of NYKFP is you don't talk about NYKFP.
Don Che

I'm just basing it off his body of work of his career. Can he be more? sure but if he wants to be a 20 ppg type scorer on a winning team..he has to do the things i mentioned.

which are all very possible but hes not that guy this split second. He will grow into it if things go well.
thewatcher
Likes given: 2607

Don just like your guy Donavon Mitchell slipped in the draft because he's a 4year guy,so did Trier. There's a huge bias that worked in our favor
n8 the gr8 wrote:
The first rule of NYKFP is you don't talk about NYKFP.
cragganmor
Likes given: 93

Trier has the most crafty handle on the team coupled with the ability to finish at the cup or draw a foul. Nobody on the roster has that.

Subpar size for a SG , but good quicks and hops.
Add in his ability to shoot off the dribble and it's a pretty damn good package for a rookie. Not advocating him as a starter but he's on the fast track. I'm pretty sure he will earn his way, maybe quicker than anyone expected. He looks like he could become a combo guard.

Perry had the best draft this summer and his only questionable roster move so far is Mario.
spree#8
Likes given: 534

Said in the game-thread that pre-season is in part about finding line-ups that work. Here you can see how well the team played with whom on the court so far:
https://stats.nba.com/team/1610612752/p ... TING&dir=1

Overall I'm pretty satisfied so far by the defensive intensity of our starting five and the pace of our offense. Not worried about shooting percentages, those will iron out themselves over a bigger sample.
Last edited by spree#8 on October 4th, 2018, 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#knickstape
Don Che

thewatcher wrote:Don just like your guy Donavon Mitchell slipped in the draft because he's a 4year guy,so did Trier. There's a huge bias that worked in our favor
yeh DM stayed that extra year which i think was great for his development. Trier has a chance but physical tools are a lot in today's athlete.

for example they are both the same height but DM has a 6'10 wingspan huge hands and an insane vertical. I'm not sure what Zo's combine results were but either way.....

I'm all for Zo's progression...he's fearless.
Koopa Troopa

Don Che wrote:
yeh DM stayed that extra year which i think was great for his development. Trier has a chance but physical tools are a lot in today's athlete.

for example they are both the same height but DM has a 6'10 wingspan huge hands and an insane vertical. I'm not sure what Zo's combine results were but either way.....

I'm all for Zo's progression...he's fearless.

Im all for him gaining trade value and dumping him. Not sure where a guy who is allergic to passing is gonna thrive. This forum bashed JR Smith and Jamal Crawford for ages now we are singing a different song because this kid is a rookie. Meanwhile Jamal at least had strong assist numbers. Trier's twitter handle is IsoZo.... he knows who he is.
Don Che

its all about Zo establishing he can drop 20 plus with a small amount of shots while giving effort on defense. Once he establishes that which is already hard as hell...you add the elements of moving the ball.

its a process.

I'm not leading the Zo wagon but I'm willing to work with anyone that shows effort on defense.

Kobe was known tobe an iso scorer and he averaged 5 plus assists plenty of times.

i did despise JR and felt Jamal was best as a 6th man(looks like i was right on that one) and if Zo just increases what he already does...hes in their boat...prolly less potent. If he can add layers to his game..lord knows what else he can be.

but we are talking a lot about a fringe rotation guy...lets just enjoy his progression
shakespeare

Im all for him gaining trade value and dumping him.
Koop for Knicks GM.
#TeamTank
ISIAH_THOMAS
Likes given: 52

Kyrie Irving telling the Boston fans he "plans on re-signing here next year"

:movie_camera: | @Marc_DAmico pic.twitter.com/G74mvaWaJ2

— Knicks Film School (@KnickFilmSchool) October 4, 2018
Fxck Adam Silver
rebound
Likes given: 1102

well the knicks only have space for one max and it's going to Durant. :D
TOM THIBODEAU'S NEW YORK KNICKS PRESENT:
HEROBALL. A STORY OF THE MID RANGE FADEAWAY JUMPER.
STARRING JALEN BUMSON AND DUBIOUS HANDLES.
nazrmohamed
Likes given: 246

spree#8 wrote:Said in the game-thread that pre-season is in part about finding line-ups that work. Here you can see how well the team played with whom on the court so far:
https://stats.nba.com/team/1610612752/p ... TING&dir=1

Overall I'm pretty satisfied so far by the defensive intensity of our starting five and the pace of our offense. Not worried about shooting percentages, those will iron out themselves over a bigger sample.
1-I dont understand the stats. How do they show which combinations play best? What I saw was more a individual player ranking. Not bashing, just dont understand
2- How the hell was Walker rated so high?
spree#8
Likes given: 534

The ratings are team ratings when a player is on the floor. Our starters have fantastic values so far, i.e. that combination works pretty well so far. Real unit stats come out on basketball-reference during the season.

BTW: the explanation of the stats is on the site.
#knickstape
cragganmor
Likes given: 93

The least surprising preseason individual stat is Kanter's 13.3 rpg, tops and only needing 22 mpg to do the damage. He posted a lot of his training on IG, he's in peak condition. His professionalism, passion for the team shows.

Just wish he'd improve his lateral quicks :LOL:
Don Che

if you could max KD or AD. who would you take?

throw in a lottery pick from this year and one of those guys and I'm beyond happy either way
H20Knick
Likes given: 3

Don Che wrote:if you could max KD or AD. who would you take?

throw in a lottery pick from this year and one of those guys and I'm beyond happy either way
i'd take the 25 year old. We've never seen what KD looks like in AD's situation. He hasn't played without an elite guard in 10 years.

Unfortunately, whether it's KD or AD, I have no faith in this team winning a championship with the guard corps we currently have. KD/AD + KP + KK isn't going to contend with Burke/Frank/THJ/Mudiay as the guards lol. We basically did this exact same thing 6 years ago with Melo/Amare/Tyson and a whole bunch of shit in the backcourt... oh, and one of those guards was a 6'6 stout defender with limited offensive ability and a flattop
In Thibs we trust.

2018 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition CHAMPION
2015 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition CHAMPION
Don Che

AD is better than Amare and Melo by a mile but I do agree about the guards

so you wouldn't sign either? or you just mean we could get either but it wont matter?

I'm hoping we draft a lead playmaker this draft 1 or 2...idc but that's the realm I'm looking at
H20Knick
Likes given: 3

Im not saying I wouldn't sign them, because you can't turn down that caliber of player. And i'm not saying they arent significantly better than Melo/Amare... but AD hasn't done much so far in his career and Jrue Holiday is way better than any of the Knicks guards. KD even with a superteam needed 7 games and a nice injury break to beat the Rockets. Neither one of those guys is good enough to take a mediocre team and win a title with them. So to me, it wouldn't matter without a major upgrade at the guard position. The knicks biggest need isn't another forward. We just drafted one in the lottery and our franchise player is allegedly a 4.

So i'm saying it won't matter. It'll make us contenders maybe, but we won't actually bring home the Larry O'Brien until we fix the guard situation. With the glaring cap issues we have, i'd prioritize a guard unless we luck out and draft someone like RJ Barrett. With Kyrie off the market, it looks like it has to be Rozier like you wanted. I'm not nearly as high on him as you are (his FG% is disgusting and he isn't a great passer by any stretch of imagination). I'm just putting the warning out there now that KD/AD aren't going to come in immediately and bring us a title. There is still a whole lot of work to do.

But theres always the chance that between now and FA 2019, ONE of Frank/Burke/Trier/Mudiay/THJ will blow up.
In Thibs we trust.

2018 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition CHAMPION
2015 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition CHAMPION