[Merged] Kristaps Porzingis is Going to Become a Perennial All-Star

Discuss New York Knicks news, current events, players, and history.

Moderators: wallace044, rtn393, Irv

taowave
Likes given: 844

I just hope he can stay healthy..
H20Knick
Likes given: 3

I might actually shed grown-man joy-tears if Knox ends up in the ROY conversation and Kyrie joins a healthy KP. That's a squad I can believe in
In Thibs we trust.

2018 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition CHAMPION
2015 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition CHAMPION
Don Che
Likes given: 9

would be just as happy with swapping kyrie with a top 5 pick. Feel that Kyrie isnt a generational guy not as big of a game changer
big_j_NY
Likes given: 1127

Don Che wrote:would be just as happy with swapping kyrie with a top 5 pick. Feel that Kyrie isnt a generational guy not as big of a game changer
The guy proved all of his doubters wrong last season leading the Celtics to the playoffs before he went down with an injury.........the more you want from an elite ballhandler?
Don Che

I think them going to game 7 proved that the team is good...real good and the coach is dam good. kyrie is a weapon no doubt but hes not a guy that can carry a eh team to the playoffs. that's how I measure it. only 1 player can do it that's a FA. KD.

kawhi it's possible but hes never been forced to do so but hes that good also.

kyrie isnt those guys.
taowave

Kyrie needs to prove he can stay injury free and play close to 82 games
Don Che

that too
big_j_NY

taowave wrote:Kyrie needs to prove he can stay injury free and play close to 82 games
Now......this is a point I can accept.

This is the true knock on his entire career rite now, the man is fragile as glass DESPITE his incredible talent.
rebound
Likes given: 1141

Indeed. Let's see how that knee holds up this season.
TOM THIBODEAU'S NEW YORK KNICKS PRESENT:
HEROBALL. A STORY OF THE MID RANGE FADEAWAY JUMPER.
STARRING JALEN BUMSON AND DUBIOUS HANDLES.
taowave

After reading a bit more on Kyrie on s medical journal,
https://theinjuryinsight.com/kyrie-irvings-knee-injury/

I don't think Kyrie should play 82 games, healthy or not.Not in his or his knees best interest..

The wires and screws have been reemoved from the patella,the resulting infection has been taken care of and his displaced fracture should be fully healed.Artritis seems to be a remote possibility,but not too serious..

He's young,but his playing time should be managed..
big_j_NY

taowave wrote:After reading a bit more on Kyrie on s medical journal,
https://theinjuryinsight.com/kyrie-irvings-knee-injury/

I don't think Kyrie should play 82 games, healthy or not.Not in his or his knees best interest..

The wires and screws have been reemoved from the patella,the resulting infection has been taken care of and his displaced fracture should be fully healed.Artritis seems to be a remote possibility,but not too serious..

He's young,but his playing time should be managed..
Kyrie is starting to remind me a bit of CP3 in terms of his knee history.......he can still be effective regardless of the amount of knee injuries due to his game being not reliant on explosive vertical leaps and outrageous quickness like prime D-Rose and John Wall.

However it like you said Tao, Kyrie will never be able to make it to 82 games for a full season b/c of those knees...........just like CP3 is currently in his career.
StevoStarks

That's why I'm not hopping on the Kyrie train. So much money to sink into a player that has trouble finishing seasons. If it happens, cool. But I'm certainly not pushing for it to happen.
"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
- Dr. Seuss

"Woody was the perfect coach for these mutts."
- taowave

"Is he REALLY injured?? A part of me doesnt believe that he is and I think he's just being a bitch. Bitch-nani."
- rynyk222
big_j_NY

StevoStarks wrote:That's why I'm not hopping on the Kyrie train. So much money to sink into a player that has trouble finishing seasons. If it happens, cool. But I'm certainly not pushing for it to happen.
I'm hopping on no one's train UNTIL our young guys prove they can make enough noise to convince a star player to "walk here" WITHOUT any demands (i.e. Kyrie needs washed-up Jimmy Butler to come to NY for him to join).

If those bois want to walk to MSG and play for us.......I'm open arms.

If they start saying they won't come here UNLESS ______ happens, NO......BYE BYE
ISIAH_THOMAS
Likes given: 52

Image kp/back en ny
Fxck Adam Silver
Red
Likes given: 0

“Take that for data,” as new Knicks coach David Fizdale famously once uttered. If Porzingis passes his battery of tests, he’ll be back on the court — playoff race or not.

According to multiple medical experts, there is no definitive medical evidence that the longer a player sits out after the 10-month mark, the lower the likelihood he will re-tear an ACL. ACL science is imprecise.

It is important for potential 2019 free-agent additions to see evidence of Porzingis establishing a bond with Knox and Frank Ntilikina. You also can’t blame Knicks brass wanting to have Porzingis play in games before throwing him a contract extension worth $160 million-$190 million next summer.

If the plan is to sign a top FA then I'm looking forward to KP coming back by the asb.
The Mecca of Mess
shakespeare

Big J.

Butler’s not washed up. He’s in the prime of his career.

I’m all for staying the course, but I wondered why you believed he’s done?
#TeamTank
big_j_NY

shakespeare wrote:Big J.

Butler’s not washed up. He’s in the prime of his career.

I’m all for staying the course, but I wondered why you believed he’s done?
We've said that to EVERY POST-27 YR OLD All-Star that has joined the Knicks.

You're right, he isn't washed up............YET. But the times Knicks have targetted these "prime All-Stars", it is always IN THE MIDDLE OF THEIR PRIME............instead of THE BEGINNING OF THEIR PRIME.

And every time the Knicks have "gave up the farm" to MIDDLE OF THEIR PRIME ALL-STARS...........we get burnt in the end 'cuz we end up wasting that prime.

Butler is in the same position right now at age 29, just like when the Knicks traded for Marbury, just like when the Knicks trade for Melo, and damn near close to when we paid big $$$ for Amare Stoudemire (not a similar situation, but adding some extra context here).

Shakes, you brought up a long time ago that we should've signed-and-traded Melo in his early 30s for a younger Jimmy Butler back when the Bulls were considering the D-Rose/Noah/Melo combination back in the summer of 2014.

This was probably the only situation where I would've approved of Butler to join the Knicks VIA TRADE........because Jimmy Butler was at THE BEGINNING OF HIS PRIME at the time. And when a team acquires a player at the beginning of their prime, that team will be given time to see that player IMPROVE in their prime years.......but they are also given more "patience" to find the other pieces to complement said player and vice-versa.

But to summarize my long ramble here AND to answer your original question.........I don't believe Jimmy Butler is done in terms of his prime.
But joining the Knicks at this point of his career, Jimmy's prime years will be DIMINISHED AND WASTED MORE QUICKLY than if Jimmy joined a "more playoff-ready, championship-ready" NBA squad that can allow Jimmy to continue to display his prime before his actual talent declines.

This is why I ain't about to jump on any "WE MUST TRADE FOR THIS GUY" throughout this 2018-2019 season.........the Knicks aren't ready to accommodate an "older all-star" at this point of the team building process NOR would it benefit that "older All-Star's" prime years to be wasted on a rebuild Knicks squad. And believe me, I'm not down for the New York Knicks organization to "ruin" another established All-Star's career again.......after we've done it for the last 18+ years already.

This isn't fucking Lebron James OR Michael Jordan OR Kobe Bryant we're dealing with here.........it's Jimmy Butler and/or Kyrie Irving.
nazrmohamed
Likes given: 251

Agreed. I think Jimmy would be a perfect candidate for the Lakers now that Lebron is there or just about any playoff team looking for that extra fire and grit to take them over the top. A team like Houston would be perfect for Jimmy, a team like the Raptors. These teams can give up picks knowing that in reality thier time is now. The Knicks even with Jimmy are a question mark and when everyone was giving kudos to Minnesota for trading for him, even then I wondered how that made sense for Minny while they were in the midst of a rebuild to give up all those assets for a player who probably wouldn't move the needle enough in the west but also in a city that wasn't gonna attract stars to go there after Jimmy.

But on another note and I'll probably get killed for this and dont really know what his advanced stats say.... Butler just isn't that good yall. I mean, let me rephrase that. He's very good but he's good at a role on a team that's in support of an established superstar. I say established because that isn't KP, it wasn't Towns either. In your story you spoke of primes. Jimmy is more of a Robinesque type star in his prime to a bonafide superstar in his prime. But he's not gonna elevate a team. I remember back in Chicago after Rose went down they were forced to elevate Butler and he didn't exactly carry the team, in fact a end of the first round journey Nate Robinson seemingly did a better impression of a primary stars role. He goes to Minnesota and yeah they got a little better but really just good enough to hurt thier lottery position and obviously cause turmoil in the locker room. Now I'm not saying his gripe wasn't just. He's trying to be a leader by calling out his teams effort but it was more passive aggresive than anything else.

I like Butler. When we had Melo and were trying to squeeze whatever we could out of his last 2 yrs THATS WHEN a guy like Butler would've been a great target. A guy who can support Melo whose an alpha (whether its justified or not it's his mindset). Not on a team that need to focus on developing thier core
gradyandrew

2015 1st rounders signing rookie extensions, Nance, Myles, 1 or 2 more. Its a nonstory story that KP wont sign until next summer to maximize his cap space. Does anyone else think this is a sneaky excuse to kick the tires on his ACL before signing him to a max deal? We love the guy and all but him signing a max deal and then never being able to fully recover would be a new definition of butt hurt.

Will another team even make an offer? You figure if Zach Lavine is getting paid 20 million plus then its a no brainer that KP should get maxed, but still, I just have this naghing worry about his frame.
Randle in the Rafters
NewlyKnicked
Likes given: 163

Hopefully Perry will be able to include a couple amendments to the contract taking care of possible long-term injuries (like the restrictions the 76ers included in Joel's contract) without antagonizing KP and his crew (can be tricky)
2017 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion
2020 Co-NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion
2021 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion