Trey Burke anyone?

Discuss New York Knicks news, current events, players, and history.

Moderators: wallace044, rtn393, Irv

maxinquaye11
Likes given: 6

It was never an OR situation for me. Why choose between Frank and Trey when you can start both? I love Burke for his balance in scoring and passing. Here is a true point guard that can quarterback our team from the get-go. How is he a true point guard? Because of his low assist-turnover-ratio. As for Franky, I love his defense so much that i'd choose to start him over THJ in a heartbeat. This scenario is also the best and only viable way to give Emanuel Mudiay the opportunity to get sparkplug microwave minutes in order to improve his game or trade stock.

Its a win-win-win-win scenario for Burke, Ntilly, Mudiay and Nba 6th man of the year awardee Tim Hardaway.

No way should Dotson or Baker get back up SG rotation minutes. I'd rather assign it to Mudiay early on.
 " Stat at 3 was code for Melo playing in the low post..." - n8 the gr8

"I don't ever wanna hear anyone bash max's 2 pg love again." - H20Knick

"Cant lie, he did play better off the bench." - nazrmohammed
maxinquaye11

Trey "not-the-answer" Burke

Don Che
Likes given: 9

Trey just seems like a guy that loves to hoop.

easy player to cheer for. If he makes strides as a passer and keeps his assist/TO ratio good...it will be hard not to start him.

defensively idk how he can do it at a playoff level but if Lowry/Kemba/Kyrie can so can he i guess.
taowave
Likes given: 817

Let's not forget about Curry..
Don Che wrote:Trey just seems like a guy that loves to hoop.

easy player to cheer for. If he makes strides as a passer and keeps his assist/TO ratio good...it will be hard not to start him.

defensively idk how he can do it at a playoff level but if Lowry/Kemba/Kyrie can so can he i guess.
Don Che

right.....where would we rank Burke on that list offensively?

on a per 36 he may be on Kemba's level or better....the others im not sure if he's on that level.
taowave
Likes given: 817

Yeah,that's the big question...

Be interesting to see if he can shoot 40 percent from 3..
Don Che wrote:right.....where would we rank Burke on that list offensively?

on a per 36 he may be on Kemba's level or better....the others im not sure if he's on that level.
Don Che

If he can work off the ball a bit better and hit the 3. he can be in the Lowry level.

he can never be Curry.

Kyrie...at times idk if hes all substance/all flash or maybe he's just a combo of both. I jus tnever cared to look into his stats.

ok...another question...who's the better offensive guard we have? Some days ill say Tim but some nights when Burke goes off you can't help but consider him also.
H20Knick
Likes given: 3

Don Che wrote:
ok...another question...who's the better offensive guard we have? Some days ill say Tim but some nights when Burke goes off you can't help but consider him also.
trey is hard to judge. He's been trending upwards for a few straight years now. I think we'll know better after this year who he really is/what he will be. For the sake of the spree truce. I'm going to leave it at that :D
In Thibs we trust.

2018 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition CHAMPION
2015 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition CHAMPION
NewlyKnicked
Likes given: 160

Well there isn't too many people in front of that door... At the 1, Burke is head and shoulders above the rest offensively when, at the 2, Tim only has to compete with Lee.

Hard to judge Burke before sending big responsabilities his way (lots of minutes in meaningful games). For now, I'd say Timmy is our best offensive guard, but I sure hope it wasn't such a no man's land
2017 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion
2020 Co-NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion
2021 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion
Rusty La Rue
Likes given: 795

H20Knick wrote:trey is hard to judge. He's been trending upwards for a few straight years now. I think we'll know better after this year who he really is/what he will be. For the sake of the spree truce. I'm going to leave it at that :D
Has Trey been trending upwards for a few straight years? He started last season in the G league... He has been good for half a season at most... So he has a lot to prove together with the other PGs Mudiay and Ntilikina...
2023 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion
"Everybody gets excited about youth except the coach, because he knows youth means mistakes, mistakes mean losses, losses means you're fired."
H20Knick

Rusty La Rue wrote:
Has Trey been trending upwards for a few straight years? He started last season in the G league... He has been good for half a season at most... So he has a lot to prove together with the other PGs Mudiay and Ntilikina...
He was stuck being John Wall's backup point guard the season before. The Wizards don't know how to run an organization at all and he never got a chance to do much to showcase himself so it's not really that surprising he ended up starting in the dleague last year.

Let's track his TS%s over the last 4 years: .455 > .507 > .532 > .563. That's an impresssive year-to-year increase, i'd say.
In Thibs we trust.

nazrmohamed
Likes given: 246

H20, John Wall is a top 10pg IMO and you have spoken glowingly about him too so I don't see where you feel Burke was stifled. He played behind a starting pg, that's it.

I've said before, I like his story. If he spent the rest of his life as a high impact backup I'd say he made a solid career, as he was pretty much out of the NBA a year ago. It's when people put him at starter that gets me. The Knicks stink, I mean Jarret Jack can start here so it's not really saying much to me that a guy like Burke can show out. I've listened to analyst talk about how his game could translate and two things stand out even whilst looking to a fan like he's awesome.
1-hes an undersized player on defense. Teams can just run right over him defensively and will probably do so more after having scouted him
2- the vast majority-his bread and butter shots are a series of midrange jumpers and floaters

I'm just listing what I've heard and witnessed now that I've paid more attention. I don't think he can fix option one except to just give us everything you got. You'll be undersized that's life but effort will be his best ally. Be a pest. As far as the second option he just has to practice and attempt more 3s. And the Knicks need to put him in better position to do so.
Red
Likes given: 0

Need a Burke/Nitti hybrid.

As usual, paying 2 players to do the job of one. :hmm:
The Mecca of Mess
H20Knick

nazrmohamed wrote:H20, John Wall is a top 10pg IMO and you have spoken glowingly about him too so I don't see where you feel Burke was stifled. He played behind a starting pg, that's it.
im not implying that burke should've gotten more minutes on the wizards or that they are a shitty organization because they stifled his development. I'm saying that Burke's development was stifled because he never got to play much because the wizards rightfully lean on wall to play big minutes. I just threw the negative commentary on the wizards reputation because they burned any chance they had at being contenders by giving otto porter 100 million.
In Thibs we trust.

gradyandrew
Likes given: 0

Trey showed enough in limited time that he should be the incumbent starting PG. If Fiz wants to start Frank and Tim on the wings, all the power to him. I can't really forget Corey Joseph having one look at Frank and then full pressing him into two turnovers and off the court.

Those TS% are also pretty sweet.
Randle in the Rafters
NewlyKnicked
Likes given: 160

And these TS% would be much much better with just one step back on those many long jumpers
2017 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion
2021 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion
maxinquaye11

Finishing-close-to-the-rim advise anyone? Mudiay?

https://hoopshype.com/2018/08/16/new-yo ... ng-report/

Take that for data

nazrmohamed
Likes given: 246

Regardless of how I feel about his potential as a starter I will say that I genuinely enjoy watching Burke play. His ability to get a defender off balance and he has that Paul Pierce ability that while not particularly fast can create space in the midrange and get people jumping. It's fun to watch
StevoStarks

You know it's slow when all we're talking about is Trey Burke.

Not even THJ can get into this slow news thread.
"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
- Dr. Seuss

"Woody was the perfect coach for these mutts."
- taowave

"Is he REALLY injured?? A part of me doesnt believe that he is and I think he's just being a bitch. Bitch-nani."
- rynyk222
thewatcher
Likes given: 2626

Stevo it's dull because Taowave hasn't found someone to bait all summer :LOL:
n8 the gr8 wrote:
The first rule of NYKFP is you don't talk about NYKFP.