2018 trades and rumors ( Sun's make trade with Nets)

Discuss matters related to other teams, players, and/or the league in general.

Moderators: wallace044, rtn393, Irv

Mike1989
Likes given: 0

Boston_PuppyDawg wrote:Denver has agreed to send Kenneth Faried, Darrell Arthur, a 2019 protected first-round pick and a future second round pick to Nets for Isaiah Whitehead, league sources tell ESPN. Salary dump for Denver.
Good deal for the Nets. Their GM has made some smart moves acquiring young talent and picks so far. It will be interesting to see how he does rebuilding that team and whether they stay the course with young players, or try to short cut in 2019 or 2020 since they'll have the cap space for two max contract players.
StevoStarks wrote:Jesus. A 1st round pick just to unload those guys? Arthur is actually a solid player as well. Doesn't Faried expire this season?

I guess all to resign Barton and sign Thomas. And I guess they're stacked at the 4 and 5 positions.

I have PTSD when I see anyone deal a 1st round pick.
Denver have been on the wrong side of two trades recently...

Who did they draft with the 27th pick in 2013? Rudy Gobert

What did they get in return? The rights to Erick Green (no longer in the NBA) and cash considerations.

Who did they draft with the 13th in 2017? Donovan Mitchell

What did they get in return? The 24th pick which turned into Tyler Lydon and Trey Lyles.

Imagine a starting line up in Denver featuring Murray, Mitchell, Barton, Jokic, Gobert with Gary Harris as the sixth man. They would have been a legitimate contender with that group, instead they sent two of those players to Utah and they get the benefit of the Mitchell and Gobert pairing. Good job we didn't make these moves otherwise there would have been a riot around here! :laugh:
Boston_PuppyDawg

Toronto is close to a deal to acquire Spurs All-Star Kawhi Leonard, league sources tell @ChrisBHaynes and me. Trade package includes DeMar DeRozan, league sources tell ESPN.
Calderon: "It’s no fun when you try to win for the Knicks and people want you out of the Knicks.” (2/18/16)
Boston_PuppyDawg

Toronto has reached agreement in principle to acquire San Antonio's Kawhi Leonard for package that includes DeMar DeRozan, league sources tell ESPN. Trade is larger on both sides, and players are still being informed of their inclusion in the deal. Trade call with league today.
Calderon: "It’s no fun when you try to win for the Knicks and people want you out of the Knicks.” (2/18/16)
Boston_PuppyDawg

Spurs have agree to trade Kawhi Leonard and Danny Green to Toronto for DeMar DeRozan, Jakob Poeltl and a protected 2019 first-round pick, league sources tell ESPN. Trade call with league office is starting shortly.
Boston_PuppyDawg

Kawhi Leonard has no desire to play in Toronto, league source tells ESPN.
big_j_NY
Likes given: 1117

Boston_PuppyDawg wrote:Kawhi Leonard has no desire to play in Toronto, league source tells ESPN.
:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
NewlyKnicked
Likes given: 158

Well done, Raptors. They took a chance at a top 5 player without jeopardizing their talented youth (OG, Siakham). Demar + Kyle wasnt winning a title anytime soon. Even if Kawhi pulls another fake injury from his ass and leaves next offseason, they have basically cleared about $20mil in cap space. Green is also still interesting value for his price tag.

Less convinced by the fit of Demar with Lamarcus. But I guess Kawhi wasn't coming back anyway
2017 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion
2020 Co-NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion
2021 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion
rebound
Likes given: 1102

NewlyKnicked wrote:Well done, Raptors. They took a chance at a top 5 player without jeopardizing their talented youth (OG, Siakham). Demar + Kyle wasnt winning a title anytime soon. Even if Kawhi pulls another fake injury from his ass and leaves next offseason, they have basically cleared about $20mil in cap space. Green is also still interesting value for his price tag.

Less convinced by the fit of Demar with Lamarcus. But I guess Kawhi wasn't coming back anyway

yep it was a good trade. the pick is top 20 protected!
they showed they couldnt win with derozan so now they get to rebuild 1 year sooner if they fail this year, since derozan's contract was a year longer than ibaka and lowry's.
TOM THIBODEAU'S NEW YORK KNICKS PRESENT:
HEROBALL. A STORY OF THE MID RANGE FADEAWAY JUMPER.
STARRING JALEN BUMSON AND DUBIOUS HANDLES.
Brooklyn
Likes given: 6

I say good trade by the Spurs - they were being offered peanuts and they got Derozan out of that. I don't know about you guys but I want to see what K.Leonard does outside of the Spurs system before I call him a top 5 player and I'm willing to bet that Derozan's stock grows by miles by year 2 with the Spurs.
”The magic is in the work."
Koopa Troopa

Boston_PuppyDawg wrote:Kawhi Leonard has no desire to play in Toronto, league source tells ESPN.
An expensive salary dump (an oxymoronic trade :D )... Spurs played hardball. If Im Toronto I would have tried to get rid of Lowry instead. Demar is like 4-5 younger and a legit baller. And what does the protected first even mean? Does that mean if Raps are top 20 that the Spurs dont get a pick ever? Or do they get it in a following year unprotected? Cause Toronto is probably gonna be horrible long term
StevoStarks
Likes given: 9

There's always the chance that Leonard comes around during the season. The Raptors are a shoe in as a top 3 Eastern Conference team, that doesn't have to go against GS or HOU to get to the Finals.

I don't know. Of course his emotions are raw, Toronto is a long way from both LA and SA, but you never know. He could thrive in that organization. And it's not Siberia, Toronto is a major city.

But, if he stays true to what he said, like you guys posted, that was a huge salary dump for Toronto. It's just crazy to think they may be down to Lowry season after next and then they're basically rebuilding.

I like the trade for both teams. Way more risk on Toronto's side, but gotta spend money to make money sometimes. And we all know they needed a shakeup.
"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
- Dr. Seuss

"Woody was the perfect coach for these mutts."
- taowave

"Is he REALLY injured?? A part of me doesnt believe that he is and I think he's just being a bitch. Bitch-nani."
- rynyk222
big_j_NY
Likes given: 1117

Koopa Troopa wrote: An expensive salary dump (an oxymoronic trade :D )... Spurs played hardball. If Im Toronto I would have tried to get rid of Lowry instead. Demar is like 4-5 younger and a legit baller. And what does the protected first even mean? Does that mean if Raps are top 20 that the Spurs dont get a pick ever? Or do they get it in a following year unprotected? Cause Toronto is probably gonna be horrible long term
It should've been Lowry, I agree with you Koop.

Especially considering Toronto baptised Derozan as their franchise player for like the last 5-6 years, then they go and pull the rug under him by trading him away for a guy that doesn't even want to play for their team?

This isn't like when Vince Carter and Chris Bosh left Toronto, those 2 bois didn't want to be there. Derozan WANTED TO STAY THERE.........Toronto was being utterly disrespectful in this regard, especially keeping Lowry around who probably has peaked in terms of his ability to impact the team as a playmaker. At least letting Derozan stay around Toronto, you'll know he will pour his heart and soul out for the city like Kobe did for the Lakers in Los Angeles. Not saying Lowry won't, but Lowry is already on the older side of his career...............he's the overpaid one in this case now.

Now on the San Antonio side, it'll be interesting to see if Popovich can grow Derozan into a better player that can possibly create another title-contender for the Spurs..........b/c Derozan has always had the raw talent to become a great two-way player, but never the proper coaching (no offense to Dwayne Casey, who did deserve his COY award for what he did last year).
spree#8
Likes given: 534

Koopa Troopa wrote:...And what does the protected first even mean? Does that mean if Raps are top 20 that the Spurs dont get a pick ever? Or do they get it in a following year unprotected? Cause Toronto is probably gonna be horrible long term
Wojnarowski adds (via Twitter) that the 2019 first-round pick is protected from 1-20. If it doesn’t change hands after one year, it would turn into a pair of second-round picks instead.
#knickstape
StevoStarks

If I'm Leonard, I'm also weighing the fact that Lebron is in LA. Yeah, he's Lebron, but there's a ton of baggage that comes along with playing alongside LBJ. LA doesn't sound so enticing.
"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
- Dr. Seuss

- taowave

"Is he REALLY injured?? A part of me doesnt believe that he is and I think he's just being a bitch. Bitch-nani."
- rynyk222
NewlyKnicked
Likes given: 158

I'm pretty sure the Spurs asked for Derozan over Lowry (age, position, potential...)
2017 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion
2020 Co-NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion
2021 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion
StevoStarks

NewlyKnicked wrote:I'm pretty sure the Spurs asked for Derozan over Lowry (age, position, potential...)
Definitely. They did not want Lowry.
- Dr. Seuss

- taowave

- rynyk222
Boston_PuppyDawg

Oklahoma City has agreed to trade Carmelo Anthony and a protected 2022 first-round pick to Atlanta for point guard Dennis Schroder and Mike Muscala, league sources tell ESPN. Anthony will be waived, and he will join team of his choice. Rockets are frontrunner.
StevoStarks

Boston_PuppyDawg wrote:Oklahoma City has agreed to trade Carmelo Anthony and a protected 2022 first-round pick to Atlanta for point guard Dennis Schroder and Mike Muscala, league sources tell ESPN. Anthony will be waived, and he will join team of his choice. Rockets are frontrunner.
Dennis and Russ? Schrodes going to back up role?
- Dr. Seuss

- taowave

- rynyk222
Mr3037

Melo back with Dantoni????
NYK Fan since 92
NYKFP Fan since 04

28 years & counting...Bleeding Orange & Blue
Koopa Troopa

Mr3037 wrote:Melo back with Dantoni????

Hes best friends with Chris Paul....But also Bron :? . Darkhorse for Melo is the Wiz so he can be near his hometown.