Knicks 2018 cap situation (including 2019 outlook)

Discuss New York Knicks news, current events, players, and history.

Moderators: wallace044, rtn393, Irv

big_j_NY
Likes given: 1123

Koopa Troopa wrote: Agreed. Sounds like a waste of money. Knox is looking like the real deal. You got Lance as the backup SF. Im OK with that.

I get that a lot of you guys wanna be losers but im good on signing total scrubs, we already have enough of those. Save the money for a megastar.
This is the one area where me and Koop have an agreement in terms of where to use our "free agent money."

Seriously guys, we get free cap space next summer and you want to throw it at MEDIOCRE ASS TOBIAS HARRIS?!

Even though Kyrie and Dame Lillard are insane reaches IMO, at the very least.........that's who you should considering throwing your available money at.

Kyrie took a young Celtics team to the playoffs before going down with an injury...........the fuck did Tobias Harris do in the last 3-4 years?
cragganmor
Likes given: 93

We have all season to evaluate who we have. If we are banking on a core of KP, Frank, Knox, Mitch then upgrade other spots where needed with somebody that's a difference maker.

It's only SL but Troy looks like he improved since the regular season ended; even great teams need strong glue guys.
StevoStarks
Likes given: 9

big_j_NY wrote:This is the one area where me and Koop have an agreement in terms of where to use our "free agent money."

Seriously guys, we get free cap space next summer and you want to throw it at MEDIOCRE ASS TOBIAS HARRIS?!

Even though Kyrie and Dame Lillard are insane reaches IMO, at the very least.........that's who you should considering throwing your available money at.

Kyrie took a young Celtics team to the playoffs before going down with an injury...........the fuck did Tobias Harris do in the last 3-4 years?
In Rebound's defense, he posed it as a question. I don't think anyone on this board wants to use a dime to sign Tobias Harris.
"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
- Dr. Seuss

"Woody was the perfect coach for these mutts."
- taowave

"Is he REALLY injured?? A part of me doesnt believe that he is and I think he's just being a bitch. Bitch-nani."
- rynyk222
cragganmor

One guy that is still on the FA board and might be had on a 1 yr deal is Montrezl. A physical, high energy guy.
Don Che

I'd rather start Knox at the 4

lance mitch can battle it out
cragganmor

To get a pair of max deals next summer, Perry would need to start clearing space now; THJ, Lee, Lance. Still no takers for Noah, so either play him or stretch him.

One rumor is that Sacto, having lost out on Zach would be interested in THJ.
spree#8
Likes given: 540

cragganmor wrote:To get a pair of max deals next summer, Perry would need to start clearing space now; THJ, Lee, Lance. Still no takers for Noah, so either play him or stretch him.

That's not our plan from how I read our moves. As I pointed out in another thread, we would've to get rid of THJ, Lee, Lance, Noah (stretched), Robinson, Dotson, Mudiay, Burke, Hezonja, Kanter, Kornet, Williams and Baker to create two max slots for veterans with 7-9 years NBA experience. That's absurd when the goal is to build from within, because no one develops if you give them the feeling that they are all unwanted and you only wait to get rid of them.

The core is KP, THJ, Knox, Ntilikina, Robinson and the goal seems to be to develop guys like Hezonja, Mudiay, Burke, Dotson, (maybe even Kanter) and to resign as many as possible while also creating one max slot to be in position to add a star when this enhanced core gets something done (steps in the right direction) and becomes an attractive free agent destination. That might be in 2019, but is way more likely in 2020, because we could and should compete for the playoffs in 19-20.

BTW: it is not a rumor, that Sacto has interest, it is pure name dropping by an author of Forbes.
#knickstape
Mr3037
Likes given: 0

spree#8 wrote: The core is KP, THJ, Knox, Ntilikina, Robinson and the goal seems to be to develop guys like Hezonja, Mudiay, Burke, Dotson, (maybe even Kanter) and to resign as many as possible while also creating one max slot to be in position to add a star when this enhanced core gets something done (steps in the right direction) and becomes an attractive free agent destination. That might be in 2019, but is way more likely in 2020, because we could and should compete for the playoffs in 19-20.
This is what I would hope for.

I'd have no problem trading Frank, THJ or Kanter IF it means we get players back of a similar age that are a better fit/more potential but I hope we do go with the idea of building through youth and then spending big on 1 max star or say 2 fringe stars to add the icing to our developing cake.
NYK Fan since 92
NYKFP Fan since 04

28 years & counting...Bleeding Orange & Blue
Championship 16/17

cragganmor wrote:To get a pair of max deals next summer, Perry would need to start clearing space now; THJ, Lee, Lance. Still no takers for Noah, so either play him or stretch him.

Where did you read that Sacto was interested in Thj?
Championship 16/17

spree#8 wrote:
That's not our plan from how I read our moves. As I pointed out in another thread, we would've to get rid of THJ, Lee, Lance, Noah (stretched), Robinson, Dotson, Mudiay, Burke, Hezonja, Kanter, Kornet, Williams and Baker to create two max slots for veterans with 7-9 years NBA experience. That's absurd when the goal is to build from within, because no one develops if you give them the feeling that they are all unwanted and you only wait to get rid of them.

The core is KP, THJ, Knox, Ntilikina, Robinson and the goal seems to be to develop guys like Hezonja, Mudiay, Burke, Dotson, (maybe even Kanter) and to resign as many as possible while also creating one max slot to be in position to add a star when this enhanced core gets something done (steps in the right direction) and becomes an attractive free agent destination. That might be in 2019, but is way more likely in 2020, because we could and should compete for the playoffs in 19-20.

BTW: it is not a rumor, that Sacto has interest, it is pure name dropping by an author of Forbes.
The core is Knox, KP, and Ntilikina. We are developing Robinson to be part of that core. Thj is not part of this core, I give him 3 months until he is in Fizz dog house for not playing defense and his poor shot selection.
Red

Thought we needed vets to go along with the youngsters.. ain't that ThJ? :?
The Mecca of Mess
spree#8
Likes given: 540

Championship 16/17 wrote:
The core is Knox, KP, and Ntilikina. We are developing Robinson to be part of that core. Thj is not part of this core, I give him 3 months until he is in Fizz dog house for not playing defense and his poor shot selection.
Good luck with your bet. I bet instead that THJ will be our leader next season until KP comes back and will be part of our core to develop the next few years until we may turn this core into the next one. A well developed core is about more than star players.
#knickstape
cragganmor

Champ, it's a Tommy Beer article in Forbes magazine:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/tommybeer/ ... rdaway-jr/
big_j_NY
Likes given: 1123

cragganmor wrote:Champ, it's a Tommy Beer article in Forbes magazine:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/tommybeer/ ... rdaway-jr/
LOL

The end result of this article is the new reported trade for the Sacramento Kings re-acquiring Ben Mclemore from Memphis after the Kings let Mclemore leave them in the first place
cragganmor

Yeah, that's a real head-scratcher. How is McLemore a suitable replacement for Zach Lavine? Then again, we're talking about the Kings.
rebound
Likes given: 1104

damn lakers are going to get kawhi without giving up assets next summer arent they...

raptors got a steal as derozan is overrated imo but if they cant retain him it's not.
TOM THIBODEAU'S NEW YORK KNICKS PRESENT:
HEROBALL. A STORY OF THE MID RANGE FADEAWAY JUMPER.
STARRING JALEN BUMSON AND DUBIOUS HANDLES.
NewlyKnicked
Likes given: 160

They at least clear up cap space if kawhi leaves next offseason. Good move for Toronto either way because Derozan wasn't going to get them closer to the title anyway
2017 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion
2020 Co-NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion
2021 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion
Championship 16/17

Toronto won his trade, Masai strikes again man. If they could of pulled this trade off last year, Dwayne Casey would still have a job. Don't underestimate Drake's ability to introduce Kawhi to the city. Either way it's a win win if be resigns or not. The Spurs organization is no more, they will steadily decline, by 2020/2021 everyone will be gone, even Pop. Boston & Sixers don't have a clear path to the finals anymore. Yes, a rejuvenated Kawhi is that good!
StevoStarks

Championship 16/17 wrote:Toronto won his trade, Masai strikes again man. If they could of pulled this trade off last year, Dwayne Casey would still have a job. Don't underestimate Drake's ability to introduce Kawhi to the city. Either way it's a win win if be resigns or not. The Spurs organization is no more, they will steadily decline, by 2020/2021 everyone will be gone, even Pop. Boston & Sixers don't have a clear path to the finals anymore. Yes, a rejuvenated Kawhi is that good!
That's what I said in the other thread. We know his feelings now, but when he goes through a season with those guys, gets into the playoffs and doesn't have to face a stacked WC to get to the Finals, he may end up liking his situation more than he thought.
"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
- Dr. Seuss

"Woody was the perfect coach for these mutts."
- taowave

"Is he REALLY injured?? A part of me doesnt believe that he is and I think he's just being a bitch. Bitch-nani."
- rynyk222
rebound
Likes given: 1104

Nah I dont think their roster is very enticing.
TOM THIBODEAU'S NEW YORK KNICKS PRESENT:
HEROBALL. A STORY OF THE MID RANGE FADEAWAY JUMPER.
STARRING JALEN BUMSON AND DUBIOUS HANDLES.