Cavs improved their team, as if that was possible

Discuss matters related to other teams, players, and/or the league in general.

Moderators: wallace044, rtn393, Irv, cru77jones

Re: Cavs improved their team, as if that was possible

Postby DrJ6 » June 6, 2018, 2:47 am

I believe that what was unclear to those complaining about the reversed call, was the fact that the call was reversed for a different reason than the one that triggered the review, i.e., the review was to verify if LBJ was or wasn’t in the restricted area but in the end the call was changed to a blocking foul because LBJ was moving. However, the NBA review rules are very precise, and rule #12 leaves no doubt: The call is deemed a block if referees deem the defender was: Not in a legal guarding position, [other cases follow]
"Tom Thibodeau had a great saying about our teams in New York: 'Maybe beaten, never out-competed.'"
DrJ6

Postby taowave » June 6, 2018, 6:32 am

Exactly....

The rules clearly state they were well within their right to reverse the call,but the blocking call was NOT was in question. Lebron was 3-4 feet outside the restricted area,it wasn't close. Should have never been reviewed in the first place.

Maybe i am wrong,but unless the player is in the restricted area,they dont review a foul??

He wasnt in the restricted area,yet they used the loophole to revere a call that was not disputable...

Complete Bullshit

DrJ6 wrote:I believe that what was unclear to those complaining about the reversed call, was the fact that the call was reversed for a different reason than the one that triggered the review, i.e., the review was to verify if LBJ was or wasn’t in the restricted area but in the end the call was changed to a blocking foul because LBJ was moving. However, the NBA review rules are very precise, and rule #12 leaves no doubt: The call is deemed a block if referees deem the defender was: Not in a legal guarding position, [other cases follow]
taowave

Postby H20Knick » June 6, 2018, 8:21 am

lol refs screwed up by not sticking to their original screw up?

come on tao...
Fort Knox. Hard Knox. Knock Knox. It doesn't matter. Hall of Fame in 20.

2018 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition CHAMPION
2015 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition CHAMPION
H20Knick

Postby taowave » June 6, 2018, 8:52 am

They werent reviewing the charge call..

If i am not mistaken,you can not review a foul.maybe I am wrong..

You can review "restricted area" violations and then review a foul....

Its an extremely unusual rule/technicality,and IMHO the only question should have been if he was in the restricted area or not...And it was so obvious he wasnt even close,but yes,they rode with a technicality...

Home job screwing

H20Knick wrote:lol refs screwed up by not sticking to their original screw up?

come on tao...
taowave

Postby dcapodic » June 6, 2018, 10:14 am

taowave wrote:They werent reviewing the charge call..

If i am not mistaken,you can not review a foul.maybe I am wrong..

You can review "restricted area" violations and then review a foul....

Its an extremely unusual rule/technicality,and IMHO the only question should have been if he was in the restricted area or not...And it was so obvious he wasnt even close,but yes,they rode with a technicality...

Home job screwing

I get what you are saying and agree....they used the restricted area technicality to review the actual charging call to see if they got that right. However, this seems to be one of the reasons that the rule is in place. Yes, they may have stretched the usage, but in the end, they got the right call.

I try and look at this without prejudice and since I am not rooting for either team, it makes it easier :) Clearly, it was a block so in the end, they got the call right and that is a good thing. Let's face it, if it is anyone other than Lebron, it would have been a charge from the start and not even questioned now. He clearly stepped in and made no attempt at defending the play....was just looking to get a call. Look at it this way if it helps....in the Houston series people killed Harden for trying to use the refs to get calls and this is what these "step in" charge calls are also. No attempt is made to defend, just looking to get a call from the ref so I have always been in favor of it being a block if close. It also helps the goal of the league in trying to help the offense so pretty much in every way, that call was right.

But, it was Lebron so it gets questioned. Star treatment I get it, but like with Harden, this time they got it right.
- Thanasis Antetokounmpo spelled backwards is Opmnuokotetna (which is Swahili for Hand Sanitizer). Mr. Glass, circa 2014
dcapodic

Previous

Return to NBA