2018 Draft Discussion

Discuss NCAA and international hoops and scout and evaluate players for the NBA Draft.

Moderators: wallace044, rtn393, Irv

cragganmor
Likes given: 93

My guess is that we are drafting frontcourt players at #9, we have a surplus of guards, let Fiz work his developmental magic. The #37 pick is where we could be flexible, creative; taking on a project or bundling it with a player in a trade, etc.
Don Che
Likes given: 9

its a thin line because none of our guards are good...or proven lol

doubt Perry wants to see a donovan mitchell happen.
StevoStarks

Young is the only guard projected in the top 10 that gives me pause. I easily pass up on Sexton for a SF / PF that will fit the team better.
"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
- Dr. Seuss

"Woody was the perfect coach for these mutts."
- taowave

"Is he REALLY injured?? A part of me doesnt believe that he is and I think he's just being a bitch. Bitch-nani."
- rynyk222
shakespeare
Likes given: 0

Here’s an article about Chandler Hutchinson and an unnamed team promising to draft him in the late first round. https://nba.nbcsports.com/2018/05/18/ru ... rst-round/

I wouldn’t be surprised if that team is either San Antonio or Golden State. I can totally see Spurs turning him into some version of Kawhi Leonard and Warriors turning him into some version of Andre Iguodala.
#TeamTank
nazrmohamed
Likes given: 246

We gotta work the phones and try to la d a late first rounder. Imagine you walk away with Bridges and Hutch. See? This is where you might've parlayed WHG and second rounders for a meaningful player, damn.
spree#8
Likes given: 540

The consensus mock from nba.com is up (will update till the draft):
http://www.nba.com/news/2018-consensus-mock-draft
#knickstape
Don Che

nazrmohamed wrote:We gotta work the phones and try to la d a late first rounder. Imagine you walk away with Bridges and Hutch. See? This is where you might've parlayed WHG and second rounders for a meaningful player, damn.
thats a great point
Don Che

I know some ppl arent high on Wendell Carters ceiling and the common person ppl use is Al Horford who in his own right was a top 5 pick, smaller than carter is,with less production than Carter in college who was drafted as a JR while Carter is a "of age" freshman also Horford didnt have to share the scoring load with such a offensive power like Bagley...Horford did need to battle the boards with Noah which is nuts all on its own.

another player i can't help but think about when looking at Carter is Chris Webber. CWebb was more mobile and 10x more flair but both are double double machines that can pass.

I thought CWebb was bigger but I was wrong...he's 6'9 with a 7'3.5 wingspan....Carter is 6'9 with a 7'4.5 wingspan.

both physical and while not athletic freaks they rise enough to throw it down with authority. CWebb had more nasty to his game.

i know you can take this with a grain of salt but Gary Trent Jr said if Bagley wasnt going to Duke...Wendell would be in contention for the 1st pick.

if Wendell is there at 9...while hes not the flashy pick....and i question how he fits with this roster but if im picking a player and not fit...Wendell may get he nod.
cragganmor

i think we need a young, athletic and long big. if wcj is gone at # 9, one kid to look at is bruno fernando a freshman at maryland, measured at 6'10, 245# and 7'4" wingspan. he's got bounce and some strength, looks like he can be developed into a good player, can be a rim runner and can shoot; misused at maryland. he defends, rebounds and blocks shots, gets it done at the stripe. his stats: https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/pl ... ndo-1.html
spree#8

No Knicks relation. Doncic playing at 8 o'clock this evening in Europe (so 2 o'clock in the afternoon in NY) for the European Crown with Real Madrid against Fenerbace Istanbul. On Friday Madrid beat the best regular season Euroleague team in CSKA Moscow and yesterday Doncic was named this season's Euroleague MVP. MVP of Euope's top competition at age 19. :clap:

[youtube]HQEnfTwubXE[/youtube]
#knickstape
cragganmor

Spree, is it just me or does Doncic look much better alongside Sergio Llul? I'd think that he'll be fine so long as his team has athletic slashers and shooters, guys that can make a open shot/get to the rim.
spree#8

To me his play looks always great. I'm sky high on this kid for quite some time.
#knickstape
Don Che

cragganmor wrote:i think we need a young, athletic and long big. if wcj is gone at # 9, one kid to look at is bruno fernando a freshman at maryland, measured at 6'10, 245# and 7'4" wingspan. he's got bounce and some strength, looks like he can be developed into a good player, can be a rim runner and can shoot; misused at maryland. he defends, rebounds and blocks shots, gets it done at the stripe. his stats: https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/pl ... ndo-1.html
did he declare? saw him in the combine but i think hes returning next year.
cragganmor

I think he's on the bubble, has until the 30th to withdraw. Unless Maryland has a coaching change, I don't think he'll return. They underperformed, despite having 3 legit NBA talents, their system didn't get the most from their players.
cragganmor

Sleeper alert, dunno if he's been mentioned before.

Josh Okogie from GA Tech, a 6'4.5" junior SG, 7' wingspan; defends, rebounds, passes, excellent 3 ball, can get to the stripe
PistolPete
Likes given: 5

I like Mo Wagner as our 2nd round pick if we end up not re-signing Kanter.

[youtube]GTN21xV27cY[/youtube]
Damn it feels good to be a tankster.
Don Che

cragganmor wrote:Sleeper alert, dunno if he's been mentioned before.

Josh Okogie from GA Tech, a 6'4.5" junior SG, 7' wingspan; defends, rebounds, passes, excellent 3 ball, can get to the stripe

yeh kid is a tank...hes a tweener...but we already have Dotson/Lee/Tim...we need a guy that can be the 2/3...which i guess he could be ..he has an absurd wingspan WITH an absurd vertical..guy is insane.
cragganmor

Kevin Hervey, a 6'7" 4 yr senior from Texas-Arlington, measured out with a 7'3" wingspan. Has a bit of Draymond in him, very versatile and complete player. His stats:
https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/pl ... vey-1.html
shakespeare
Likes given: 0

Agreed, Hervey is a prospect New York should consider in the 2nd round, if available.

History of knee injuries, though.
#TeamTank
Don Che

Get to see Melvin play against better competition. I think in time he can guard the 3....can easily guard the 1/2 now.