Knicks 2018 cap situation (including 2019 outlook)

Discuss New York Knicks news, current events, players, and history.

Moderators: wallace044, rtn393, Irv

NYGM
Likes given: 473

Don Che wrote:We just gotta put ourselves in a position to sign Julius Randle if we don't draft a front court player.

He fits in with KP and Frank like no one else
This.. Offensively Randle fits like no one..

Defensively I'd like to see more of Randle..
Mr3037
Likes given: 0

The only way we are signing anyone of any real significance is if Kanter &/or KOQ opt out AND we dont bring either back.
NYK Fan since 92
NYKFP Fan since 04

28 years & counting...Bleeding Orange & Blue
Rusty La Rue
Likes given: 795

H20Knick wrote:The hawks gave dennis shroder 4yr/70 mil the October prior to THJ's signing

they were not going to give a guy that had just recently made it to the starting lineup (after they'd sent him to the dleague a year prior) anywhere near a comparable to dennis. The knicks gave up 4 years/71 mil. We overpaid. MAYBE the hawks would've done 4/60. But we definitely didn't need to go all the way to 71.. and if they'd matched at 60? So what. THJ is completely replaceable.
Well you can argue that you didn't want THJ... But Knicks management did want him... You do not go after restricted FA for fun as it locks up your cap... It makes no sense to offer 60m if you feel that offer would be matched... that is just a complete waste of time... So it the knicks management felt THJ was the way to go (and here you can agree or disagree)... they would have to put together an offer they felt the Hawks would not match... I read at the time the Hawks were considering a 4 year deal starting at around 14m the first season that is a 56-62m contract over 4 years... So in my book you at least have to be 65-67m range if you want to steal him away from the Hawks... the Knicks went to 71m because they apparently really wanted him...
2023 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion
2020 Co-NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion
"Everybody gets excited about youth except the coach, because he knows youth means mistakes, mistakes mean losses, losses means you're fired."
Don Che
Likes given: 9

Mr3037 wrote:The only way we are signing anyone of any real significance is if Kanter &/or KOQ opt out AND we dont bring either back.

Perfect

also Randle has seen the light now that he's playing the 5 more...and defending very well...he gave Embiid fits earlier in the year...Get him HERE!
nazrmohamed
Likes given: 246

You think Randle would come here? I'd love to have him, man I would. Just makes sense to me, how I'd wanna build my roster.

Just remember, he's playing with Luke Kornet then. Which might be nice just from a system developmental standpoint. He'd simulate what we'd expect from KP at C and we'd lose enough to draft well next yr. And then that's probably it for me on terms of losing.
big_j_NY
Likes given: 1123

I was low key one of the people hoping the Knicks would've made a dark horse trade for Julius Randle by the trade deadline, since I agree with Don.......Randle seems to be a perfect fit in the front court whether we decide to play KP at either the 4 or 5. Randle has managed to develop his body to bang alongside true bigs, and he is also laterally quick enough to keep up with stretch 4s on rotation switches on defense.
NYGM
Likes given: 473

big_j_NY wrote:I was low key one of the people hoping the Knicks would've made a dark horse trade for Julius Randle by the trade deadline, since I agree with Don.......Randle seems to be a perfect fit in the front court whether we decide to play KP at either the 4 or 5. Randle has managed to develop his body to bang alongside true bigs, and he is also laterally quick enough to keep up with stretch 4s on rotation switches on defense.
Randle needs to see how he fits and how the future could be..

He's unrestricted right? LA dclined to extend him and he's free now?..

Hopefully we can sell him to play a bigger role next season with KP out and joining a up and coming team once KP return..
NewlyKnicked
Likes given: 160

Don Che wrote:Perfect

also Randle has seen the light now that he's playing the 5 more...and defending very well...he gave Embiid fits earlier in the year...Get him HERE!
and keep KP at 4?

I know, positionless bb ;)
2017 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion
2021 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion
spree#8
Likes given: 540

NYGM wrote: Randle needs to see how he fits and how the future could be..

He's unrestricted right? LA dclined to extend him and he's free now?..

Hopefully we can sell him to play a bigger role next season with KP out and joining a up and coming team once KP return..
Nope, of course he is restricted, he is coming off his 4th year. There was just chatter that LA won't keep him long-term (maybe even trading him - which didn't happen, Clarkson was traded instead), because they might want to chase superstars this summer. That's not a sure thing, so the odds of Randle returning to LA are high.
#knickstape
Don Che

LA is prepping for a super team...of they succeed.... randle won't be there
gradyandrew

Don Che wrote:LA is prepping for a super team...if they succeed.... randle won't be there
They're going to sign KD and LBJ after Houston wins it all, and Lavar Ball will tweet some crazy shit about a new BIG 3
Randle in the Rafters
cragganmor
Likes given: 93

Lakers want the max cap space, will make splashy moves this summer. Randle's cap hold would jeopardize that, expect them to renounce his rights, unless plans go awry.
spree#8
Likes given: 540

cragganmor wrote:Lakers want the max cap space, will make splashy moves this summer. Randle's cap hold would jeopardize that, expect them to renounce his rights, unless plans go awry.
They have to find someone better to sign with that cap space first, so I wouldn't expect them to renounce his rights early in free agency. Might be an opportunity for some team to get him to sign an offer sheet and put pressure on the Lakers though.
#knickstape
NewlyKnicked

In addition to Randle, should we have a go at Jerami Grant? He's 24 years old, SF-PF, very good defender (perimeter and blocks), athletic (Russ says he's one of the most athletic guys he knows), 6'9 with 7'3 wingspan, bad 3pt shooter (29% on 1.4 attempts) but otherwise decent (61 TS% with a lot of shots coming from slashing within 3feet), improved finish at the hoop.

Contract: $1.5M this year, unrestricted free agent.

His stats: https://www.basketball-reference.com/pl ... tje01.html

He's still a bit raw even after 4 years in the league but his profile matches pretty well with what we desperately need. I'd send 3-4 years at $5-7M his way
Don Che

I wouldnt mind it at all

i think a lot of things depend on how the draft goes.

and Grant can defend the 3/4 but on offense hes more of a 4. Which is fine, think it will limit what his ceiling is.

but to me...hes just a guy that you get to replace Lance Thomas...hes a utility guy. I never got the vibe from his game that he can be a starter.
Last edited by Don Che on April 17th, 2018, 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
NewlyKnicked

Oh yeah grant is esp interesting if we don’t take a wing with our 1st pick
Championship 16/17

I would pass on Randle, as i prefer someone like Mohammad Bamba next to KP. Someone just as powerful as Randle but has legit center size, height, wingspan. Everyone assumes KP will be a center when he returns, I think the franchise player knows his strengths and believes he will still function as a PF. KP will never bang in the middle or stay in the middle. That leaves Randle to man the 5 position, defend the rim, etc. He is an undersized PF, extremely undersized for the Center position. I don't even think this kid has a 7 foot wingspan like Franky Smalls.

We need a legit 5 bc we have to cater to KP and his desire to play the 4 position. You don't bring in a player that plays the 4 and slide your franchise player to the 5. It would look ridiculously for a 7'3 guy guarding a perimeter player while we have a 6'6 Center guarding the middle.

Obviously, this is all predicated on if Bamba falls to us, which if that does happen, I predict Kanter will not be resigned and we get a small Forward type of player, while retaining Quinn on the low.

If Bamba is not available and we get Bridges, I don't see the Knicks picking Randle over Kanter or Quinn.

Also at the end of the day, Randle is a defensive liability.
cragganmor
Likes given: 93

I'd talk to POR about trading for Mo Harkless, they've been shopping him for ages; a long defender at 4/5 that hits the 3 reliably. Straight up for Lee.
Don Che

Championship 16/17 wrote:I would pass on Randle, as i prefer someone like Mohammad Bamba next to KP. Someone just as powerful as Randle but has legit center size, height, wingspan. Everyone assumes KP will be a center when he returns, I think the franchise player knows his strengths and believes he will still function as a PF. KP will never bang in the middle or stay in the middle. That leaves Randle to man the 5 position, defend the rim, etc. He is an undersized PF, extremely undersized for the Center position. I don't even think this kid has a 7 foot wingspan like Franky Smalls.

We need a legit 5 bc we have to cater to KP and his desire to play the 4 position. You don't bring in a player that plays the 4 and slide your franchise player to the 5. It would look ridiculously for a 7'3 guy guarding a perimeter player while we have a 6'6 Center guarding the middle.

Obviously, this is all predicated on if Bamba falls to us, which if that does happen, I predict Kanter will not be resigned and we get a small Forward type of player, while retaining Quinn on the low.

If Bamba is not available and we get Bridges, I don't see the Knicks picking Randle over Kanter or Quinn.

Also at the end of the day, Randle is a defensive liability.
that is an accurate Randle synopsis prior to this year..his game has really mad strides and weirdly enough...its been at the 5 that hes had some success. with KP he'd defend the 4..but would work the pivot on offense and would be guarded by 5's since most teams dont have 5's that can cover KP at the 3 point line.

Bambo or Randle next to KP would be interesting and unique to say the least. Bamba is way too thin tho..he's 220...to survive u gotta be 240 at his height. or atleast get a stronger base...Bamba's base is the biggest red flag to me.
Championship 16/17

Don Che wrote:
that is an accurate Randle synopsis prior to this year..his game has really mad strides and weirdly enough...its been at the 5 that hes had some success. with KP he'd defend the 4..but would work the pivot on offense and would be guarded by 5's since most teams dont have 5's that can cover KP at the 3 point line.

Bambo or Randle next to KP would be interesting and unique to say the least. Bamba is way too thin tho..he's 220...to survive u gotta be 240 at his height. or atleast get a stronger base...Bamba's base is the biggest red flag to me.
Where is the success? Wins, individual accolades, etc or is it a 4th year rookie playing bully ball with centers bc he has a strong body. That's not success. The kid shoots less than 25% from the 3 point line. He can be successful with a center like Embiid but not a PF like KP. Randle needs someone in the middle, and KP isnt doing that. Like how Draymongmd green needs someone in the middle (Bogut, Zaza, Shaq a fool winner). There is a reason why green at the 5 isn't your starter, but only for stretches of the game. Randle isn't your starting 5 here, but for stretches of the game, and we don't need that right now.

Bamba well be a 1st year rookie, he will develop and obviously gain weight, like all rookies. Even at 220, he has legit center height, wingspan, and is not a defensive liability. He is my choice next to KP over Randle. Just how you need a modern center next to Dirk/Pau Gasol with Tyson Chandler and Bynum. Bamba can be that Tyson Chandler/Bynum to KP, and he comes with a 3 point shot and is also just has powerful as Randle.

Hell, I would prefer Kanter at the 5 off the bench before Randle at the 5 off the bench, and we all know how much I hate Kanter. They are both defensive liabilities.