Around the NBA 2017-18

Discuss matters related to other teams, players, and/or the league in general.

Moderators: wallace044, rtn393, Irv

spree#8
Likes given: 540

Good franchises worry about themselves, not the other ones. The Knicks are part of a competitive sports league, so instead of whining about how great other teams are, I expect them to build as good a team they can and fight to get into contention.

If you look at the successful franchises, there are lots of ways to the top and basically none went through the 'process'. The special circumstances due to injuries aren't replicable, so people should look elsewhere for their blueprint.

I am not optimistic, I am just not depressed, because I have seen so many great teams being build that I know it is possible. You said it yourself: it all depends on the moves we make. If I don't expect good moves, why care at all?

All I know: I like our possibilities.
#knickstape
taowave
Likes given: 817

Spree,what you said is largely true,but good franchises are very aware of whats in front of them..

Golden State is a good example of a team that drafted really well.Curry and Barnes at 7,Klay at 11 and Draymond at 35..

Our obvious problem is KP's injury,and that he is injury prone That can only be viewed as a major negative unless it directly leads us to a stud in the draft...And even then...
shakespeare
Likes given: 0

spree#8 wrote:
We have all our future first-round picks and financial flexibility, so you should relax.
I’m a diehard Knick fan.
You can’t expect me to “relax.”
#TeamTank
shakespeare

spree#8 wrote:Doesn't mean that we can't build our own contender.
Wait, aren’t you the same poster that repeatedly said tanking or signing high lottery picks assured nothing?

If so, then why are you NOW strengthening your argument via saying we have all our future first round picks?
To claim as much, as of late, means you agreed with myself and others who insist that the only way New York can add All-NBA talent is thru the draft.

Difference being: You are satisfied with low-end lottery picks while we want the Aytons and Doncics.

You actually posted videos of Doncic. So, if we as fans shouldn’t be worried about what other teams are doing, then why are you obsessing over players that New York has no chance of drafting? Players that “other teams” will end up drafting?

A core of Porzingis, Hardaway and Ntilikina is NEVER making the playoffs, let alone catch a team with studs.

I love your optimism though.
#TeamTank
spree#8
Likes given: 540

shakespeare wrote: Wait, aren’t you the same poster that repeatedly said tanking or signing high lottery picks assured nothing?

If so, then why are you NOW strengthening your argument via saying we have all our future first round picks?
To claim as much, as of late, means you agreed with myself and others who insist that the only way New York can add All-NBA talent is thru the draft.

Difference being: You are satisfied with low-end lottery picks while we want the Aytons and Doncics.

You actually posted videos of Doncic. So, if we as fans shouldn’t be worried about what other teams are doing, then why are you obsessing over players that New York has no chance of drafting? Players that “other teams” will end up drafting?

A core of Porzingis, Hardaway and Ntilikina is NEVER making the playoffs, let alone catch a team with studs.

I love your optimism though.
Shakes, why do you ask me such strange questions and take comments out of context? Shouldn't you know me by now? Please don't put people into groups that don't exist.

1) No one ever said that we already have the studs. But we are as flexible as we have ever been in my time as a Knicks fan to get studs in here.
2) No one ever said that a top three pick isn't better than the 9th pick. I only said that the 3rd pick wasn't realistic with a healthy KP and that I'm fine drafting another good young piece wherever we land. Now that KP is injured, your (and my) wish for a top pick might be realistic in 2019.
3) No champion went the 'process' route and as I said, because of the injuries you couldn't copy that strategy anyway. Special circumstances, not a blueprint. So I say: don't be too obsessed with the draft. A combination of draft, trades and free agency is usually the blueprint that works. So there are more ways to get where we want.

I think we are in the best situation we have been in, that's all. Doesn't mean that it won't take lots of work and time.
#knickstape
shakespeare

“A combination of draft, trades and free agency is usually the blueprint that works.”

I’ll keep that in mind.

Until then...
#TeamTank
taowave

Shskes,don't forget luck.. :drunk:
shakespeare wrote:“A combination of draft, trades and free agency is usually the blueprint that works.”

I’ll keep that in mind.

Until then...
thewatcher
Likes given: 2608

For all the hoopla about the Sixers, they drafted MCW, Noel, and Okafor, all high lottery picks, they have suffered MIGHTILY to get where they are now.

The Celtic were unimaginably lucky (Stern shouldve stopped it) to find a fool in the nets owner.
n8 the gr8 wrote:
The first rule of NYKFP is you don't talk about NYKFP.
taowave

Exactly Watcher.. Building a top squad is not easy..The Sixers are case in point..They are batting apx .500 on their picks and they are finally a 50 win squad...

And the Celts capitalized on the Nets temporary Insanity...

I know you weren't substantiating what I stated,but you did illustrate how difficult it is..This is one instance where I really don't see eye to eye with Spree..

thewatcher wrote:For all the hoopla about the Sixers, they drafted MCW, Noel, and Okafor, all high lottery picks, they have suffered MIGHTILY to get where they are now.

The Celtic were unimaginably lucky (Stern shouldve stopped it) to find a fool in the nets owner.
thewatcher
Likes given: 2608

Yes but I still like pur chances of making the playoffs next year or the year after with all young players. That's reason for optimism
n8 the gr8 wrote:
The first rule of NYKFP is you don't talk about NYKFP.
taowave

Next year???
I'm thinking tank and you think playoffs??
With no KP??

KP's injury and seemingly being injury prone has dampened my enthusiasm.

And if you are going to pick 9th,you better be dam good at your craft

Time will tell

thewatcher wrote:Yes but I still like pur chances of making the playoffs next year or the year after with all young players. That's reason for optimism
shakespeare

3) Bucks over Celtics: Brad Stevens is a really good coach, but Milwaukee has Giannis and too much talent on the court to lose to the Uncle Drew-less Celtics. If Bucks lose this series, they might as well trade everyone not nicknamed Greek Freak.
Bucks should be ashamed of themselves.
There’s no way in the world Milwaukee should be down 0-2 in this series.
#TeamTank
shakespeare

thewatcher wrote:For all the hoopla about the Sixers, they drafted MCW, Noel, and Okafor, all high lottery picks, they have suffered MIGHTILY to get where they are now.
You speak the truth.

All I’m saying is we as Knickerbocker fans suffered mightily to get where we are, too.

Difference being: Sixers had a plan.

I’ve this eerie feeling New York will sign/re-sign Kanter and give us a core of Porzingis, Kanter, THJ and Ntilikina for the next 4-5 years.
#TeamTank
Don Che
Likes given: 9

^^ i have that feeling also but maybe because the Knicks usually dont do what i think they should do.

Bucks and Wizards are just weird teams man...just weird.

I wonder how much heat KP would get here if we were the bucks.

I also wonder how much love the Greek Freak will get regardless of the outcome next year.
Koopa Troopa

The failures of NYK is why its so hard to commit to a 5 year rebuild. Similarly to Philly the Warriors also drafted some busts in the lottery before becoming what they are now. I dont think any Warriors fan is shedding tears over Anthony Randolph, Ekpe Udoh and Harrison Barnes.

But with NYK after so many years of failure its hard for management and the fans to sit through years and years of a legit rebuild when they shoulda been doing it over the last two decades. To say our patience has been wearing thin is an understatement. And yeah its not a good thing, taking their time to truly rebuild would be great.....but its only natural to feel this way after almost 2 decades of mediocrity.

Thats why a pick like Frank pains us way more. Yeah you win some you lose some, but the Knicks arent in a position to make lottery mistakes.
shakespeare

Don Che - Agreed. Bucks might’ve had an excuse if Kyrie Irving was on the court, but since he’s not, I can’t excuse losing this series. Celtics are mad talented, of course, but this is embarrassing. I’m embarrassed for Giannis who’s playing out of his mind.

I don’t understand Washington. Not at all.
#TeamTank
shakespeare

Koopa Troopa wrote:To say our patience has been wearing thin is an understatement.
Post of the Day.
#TeamTank
taowave

Appears you may have jumped the gun
shakespeare wrote:Don Che - Agreed. Bucks might’ve had an excuse if Kyrie Irving was on the court, but since he’s not, I can’t excuse losing this series. Celtics are mad talented, of course, but this is embarrassing. I’m embarrassed for Giannis who’s playing out of his mind.

I don’t understand Washington. Not at all.
Koopa Troopa

Did you guys realize that Scott Layden has been the GM of the Twolves since 2016??????

What? How is it that he hasnt traded away all their first rounders yet?
big_j_NY
Likes given: 1121

Koopa Troopa wrote:Did you guys realize that Scott Layden has been the GM of the Twolves since 2016??????

What? How is it that he hasnt traded away all their first rounders yet?
Because the T-Wolves owner isn't an impulsive idiot like Dolan...........I've always said Layden is nothing more than a puppet, and basically that Layden's entire Knicks GM tenure was basically Dolan making all the moves.

It also helps that Thibodeau is actually the T-Wolves President of Basketball Ops. as well