Knicks want to bring back Prigioni.........as an asst coach

Discuss New York Knicks news, current events, players, and history.

Moderators: wallace044, rtn393, Irv

NYGM
Likes given: 490

Tao, what i meant with Hezonja is about getting it together.. He's been reckless and put of control but also not effective, he needed time to develope and seems to be getting there..

Frank's penetration is half not being able to get where near needs to due to his shaky handle and not good finishing skills IMO..

I'm ok with Perry getting some talent for cheap.. Is not like he's putting the farm on Burke and Mudiay, both are here to prove something, both are under control until next season, no need to rush anything..
taowave
Likes given: 844

I agree with you on Mario...
The guys confidence is thru the roof...

Perrys bets have been no brainers..

Its not like I dont see some potential in Frank,but I also see some aspects of his game and makeup that concern me
NYGM wrote:Tao, what i meant with Hezonja is about getting it together.. He's been reckless and put of control but also not effective, he needed time to develope and seems to be getting there..

Frank's penetration is half not being able to get where near needs to due to his shaky handle and not good finishing skills IMO..

I'm ok with Perry getting some talent for cheap.. Is not like he's putting the farm on Burke and Mudiay, both are here to prove something, both are under control until next season, no need to rush anything..
cragganmor
Likes given: 93

We only knew Prigs as a 35 y.o. rookie at the end of his career. His teams have been successful in ACB tournaments, FIBA and the Olympics; in his prime, he made All-ACB. Don't judge him by the last few years of play.

He's going to help our guards make smart plays, not the spectacular.
taowave

I think hes great for Mudiay,but not for Frank
cragganmor wrote:We only knew Prigs as a 35 y.o. rookie at the end of his career. His teams have been successful in ACB tournaments, FIBA and the Olympics; in his prime, he made All-ACB. Don't judge him by the last few years of play.

NYGM
Likes given: 490

cragganmor wrote:We only knew Prigs as a 35 y.o. rookie at the end of his career. His teams have been successful in ACB tournaments, FIBA and the Olympics; in his prime, he made All-ACB. Don't judge him by the last few years of play.

Prigs was a hard nosed and a leader in his prime.. Knew how to run a team and his playing with ARG was an example of that..

Great guy to teach something to PG's.. Also can relate with international players IMO..
nazrmohamed
Likes given: 251

Oh for sure Craggs. I'd love to have Priggs. I'm just busting people's chops for saying he'll teach people moves he never performed in his life. He was tenacious and I loved him here.
NewlyKnicked
Likes given: 162

Quick reminders on his coaching career:
- Priggs stepped down as Baskonia head coach (where he is one of theall-time great players) after having a 2-6 start. He coached for 4 months.
- the 2 PGs he had under his coaching were Rodrigue Beaubois (29yrs old) who was mostly injured and Marcelinho Huertas (34). Hard to know how he'd do as developmental coach for our PGs

Here is what he said during his leaving interview to the press:
"I am not going to continue coaching the team. To tell you the truth, I feel very frustrated for not being able meet my own expectations and mainly, the expectations the club had for me. I am apologizing to our fans, the president and the entire organization because I am not being able to help my players play good basketball, and that is what hurts the most. I feel very responsible for this and I don't want to damage the club or my players. I would rather leave the team to a different coach. I am sure they will find a qualified coach who can help this group of players get out of this situation. My coaching staff tried to stop my decision, but they know how I am. It hurts leaving the club in this situation and not matching its expectations, but I mainly feel bad because of my own expectations. I feel I am not able to improve the players individually and make them play good basketball collectively. This is the reality and our results are there. We can argue about a thousand things - a tough start, the calendar, injured players, but I don't like to use all those excuses. The truth is that the team is not in a good situation in the EuroLeague and it is soon enough for someone to step in and refresh their heads, take them out of this depression. I took the decision; there is no chance for me to stay. Once again, I apologize to the fans, who were excited about this project. I thank them for thinking I could do well, but I would rather leave soon so that the club has a margin to react, being early in the season. I haven't talked to the club yet, I am telling you first. I don't feel like carry on coaching the team, for all these reasons I just told you."

Sounds like he will think twice before accepting another coaching job
2017 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion
2020 Co-NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion
2021 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion
taowave

Guys,Prigs is an Argy Hornacek.I loved players like that.
Of course he would be a decent assistant coach,but we need someone to help develop Frank...and KP..

As Naz joked ,we need someone to teach the moves who can do the moves. I see enough potential in Frank to be concerned that his "mentality" could hold him back. For some bizarre reason,Frank is playing more like Marc Jackson than Gary Payton.

Send the guy to an NFL training camp
Don Che
Likes given: 9

he was the head coach right?

being a development coach is diff than being the head guy
taowave

Hes totally fine as an assistant coach

Don Che wrote:he was the head coach right?

being a development coach is diff than being the head guy
cragganmor

Agree, development coaches are no-names, not former stars. Personally, I think you need someone that is relentless and positive to get into a young player's head, get them to trust and grow the right way. They have do the dirty work of countless hours of repetitive drills and constantly evaluate progress. Behind every success story are dozens of mentors; nothing more empty than the lie of a self made man.

Prigs had a long and successful career. If he can impart that to our young guards (including THJ), then it's a good move.
H20Knick
Likes given: 3

i dont understand why they dont formally offer this role to clyde.
In Thibs we trust.

2018 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition CHAMPION
2015 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition CHAMPION
cragganmor

H20Knick wrote:i dont understand why they dont formally offer this role to clyde.
Clyde is 72, you need someone younger, willing and able to put in long hours and travel.
Don Che

Clyde should of been offered this in the 80's....now its a bit too much for him...hes up there in years and its best he just stays where he is and conjure up sentences on tv.

no need to throw that on a 70 year old guy. Pablo fits this fine.
NewlyKnicked
Likes given: 162

Head coach and developmental coach are diff jobs, I agree (thus the slightly different names ;) ), but it's still coaching experience. The job in Spain tested Prigioni's strategies, team management and pedagogy. It didn't go well and he seemed to have had trouble getting his message to the players. Now, he may do great in a more restricted role and even draw lessons from this failure. I liked the player just wondering if he'll make a good coach.

Some great player/coach have made terrible GMs recently :hammer:
2017 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion
2020 Co-NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion
2021 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion
Don Che

hes young and he went from player to coach relatively fast...its been a year since he retired.
taowave

When I think of guys that Frank could hopefully develop into,Clyde would be close to the top.If you watched Clyde play,you would see why
H20Knick wrote:i dont understand why they dont formally offer this role to clyde.
H20Knick

i feel like clyde could do more in 3 hours a week than pablo could do in 20.

he's brutally honest when it comes to what the young guys do wrong. I can just imagine all of the other coaches telling Frank "it's okay. keep doing what youre doing. you're going to get better. it's a process"... and clyde coming in and saying 'Just take the shot mannn. you gotta be aggressive. stop playing so timid all the time. whats wrong with you man" and then going over to tim and saying "stop shooting. what are you doing. go to the basket. your shot isnt there. do something else". I just feel like our coaching staff is as soft as fresh play-doh and pablo wont fix that
In Thibs we trust.

Don Che

and your basing this off his lack of dribble penetration ability?

you guys dont know anyone on this coaching staff personally...so assuming their temperment just doesnt make sense. The only person we can possibly judge is Jeff because he speaks to the media...and Rambis since hes been a head coach but the rest how would you even know?
H20Knick

Don Che wrote:and your basing this off his lack of dribble penetration ability?

you guys dont know anyone on this coaching staff personally...so assuming their temperment just doesnt make sense. The only person we can possibly judge is Jeff because he speaks to the media...and Rambis since hes been a head coach but the rest how would you even know?
im basing it off of the fact that pablo didnt like to take shots either. His career high in europe was 7.6 FGA per game... in 30 minutes. He's going to tell Frank to keep doing what he's doing because that's what Pablo always did. It's a traditional Euroleague PG mentality that Pablo endorses and Clyde, who regularly did 17 FGA despite being a believer in "team" basketball, would not.

With respect to Tim, most coaches, and certainly ones who were career shooters like Jeff, endorse the whole "shooters should keep shooting" philosophy. Pablo, as a nonshooter and likely as the "PG coach" would not make a comment to Tim about this one way or the other. He'd leave that for Jeff. Walt has no problem saying this on tv, and I doubt he'd have any problem saying it to tim's face, and if Jeff had a problem with it, Clyde should just flash the rings that Hornacek never got.
In Thibs we trust.