Summer of '18 Free Agents

Discuss New York Knicks news, current events, players, and history.

Moderators: wallace044, rtn393, Irv

rebound
Likes given: 1141

spree#8 wrote: Stretching Noah is a really bad idea, because it takes too much money out of the summers when you want to be a player in free agency once we have improved.
where are you getting the 101 cap figure from? and i agree i would hope to move lee for cap space over stretching noah.
TOM THIBODEAU'S NEW YORK KNICKS PRESENT:
HEROBALL. A STORY OF THE MID RANGE FADEAWAY JUMPER.
STARRING JALEN BUMSON AND DUBIOUS HANDLES.
rebound

If the Knicks dont want to bite on Jabari or Randle then they still need to do everything to move Lee before summer of 2019 to be able to bid for Kawhi.
Kanter, Lance, Baker off the books will be cancelled out by Mudiay and KP's extensions.
Don Che
Likes given: 9

rebound wrote:If the Knicks dont want to bite on Jabari or Randle then they still need to do everything to move Lee before summer of 2019 to be able to bid for Kawhi.
Kanter, Lance, Baker off the books will be cancelled out by Mudiay and KP's extensions.
wouldnt it depend on the type of extension we give Mudiay?

im certain we will offer the max to KP...Mudiay tho would have to prove a solid amount for us to warrant a major investment on our end.
rebound

i might be mistaken. is kp's 2019 cap hit only the QO, ~$7.5mil?

If so Knicks would be in a great position to sign kawhi and possibly irving.
spree#8
Likes given: 547

rebound wrote:If the Knicks dont want to bite on Jabari or Randle then they still need to do everything to move Lee before summer of 2019 to be able to bid for Kawhi.
If we want to attack the free agent market in 2019 - which I'm not sure we will, because we might tank next season with KP sidelined and thus not being an attractive destination - we have to go the Spurs route: go after other team's free agents before resigning KP, because his cap hold will be lower than his new starting salary.

But I really don't think we should focus on free agency before our young team improves. Usually that doesn't work. So getting two more lottery players in in 2018 and 2019, showing major improvement in 2019-20 (ideally making the playoffs) and then entering the free agent market as an attractive destination is a good guess for our path. So there is still patience required.
#knickstape
rebound

spree#8 wrote:
If we want to attack the free agent market in 2019 - which I'm not sure we will, because we might tank next season with KP sidelined and thus not being an attractive destination - we have to go the Spurs route: go after other team's free agents before resigning KP, because his cap hold will be lower than his new starting salary.

But I really don't think we should focus on free agency before our young team improves. Usually that doesn't work. So getting two more lottery players in in 2018 and 2019, showing major improvement in 2019-20 (ideally making the playoffs) and then entering the free agent market as an attractive destination is a good guess for our path. So there is still patience required.
Do you know if the cap hold is the QO amount or is it based off something else?
spree#8

rebound wrote:
Do you know if the cap hold is the QO amount or is it based off something else?
The cap hold should be 300% of his previous salary, while the qualifying offer seems to be lower: http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q37

Still a major difference between the cap hold and his max. But it'll be interesting to see whether we even get that opportunity, because most guys like him sign a rookie extension early these days. Even Philly already signed Embiid despite his injury problems. KP's camp might also push for a rookie extension in light of his injury.

Edit: 300% of his previous salary would be roughly 17 mill, while his max is in the 25 mill range (dependent on the cap).
Last edited by spree#8 on February 9th, 2018, 7:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
#knickstape
rebound

Ugh so much for that.
Just found a fun site that gives the values of the cap holds:
http://www.shamsports.com/capulator
rebound

So according to that site, if he signs the extension he takes up the full 27 million.

So much for free agency.
Guess it's a play for Jabari this summer or nothing until summer 2020.
spree#8

rebound wrote:Ugh so much for that.
Just found a fun site that gives the values of the cap holds:
http://www.shamsports.com/capulator
Yeah, that's the number I came up with. Shams is good, didn't know though that he had put that calculator together. Thanks for the link, should save some calculating time (though a double check never hurts).
#knickstape
cragganmor
Likes given: 93

I don't think big name fa's will come here until we start winning. Plus we don't have that much cap space. I can see us making small moves to bring in a plus defender, nothing splashy. We gotta work with what we have, establish an identity. I'd wait for 2019.
Ari_Ingus
Likes given: 0

5. Bertans. A new friend for KP? Could be useful if knicks dont draft a PF

This guy tore the same ACL twice, came back very well. KP could learn from him
Mr3037
Likes given: 0

We cant afford none of those guys on the original post, outside of maybe Hezonja.

Cragg is also right in that until we start looking like a solid playoff team no big names will wanna come here, it will be B Grade stars that wanna get overpaid that will come and we dont wanna do that no more.

Best thing to do is to try trade Thomas, KOQ unless he opts out, trade Lee, Baker will opt in unfortunately & so will Kanter.
Whatever cap space we do end up with spend it on someone young, under 24-25.

If through the draft / FA we can add like 2-4 young players that will get plenty of PT next season that's the best way to go.
NYK Fan since 92
NYKFP Fan since 04

28 years & counting...Bleeding Orange & Blue
Minkaveli
Likes given: 175

Need guys who can work around the core guys we have (KP, Tim, Mudiay, Frank, Lee) and those should be value signings. Not big splashes.
No longer sick and tired that Kurt wasn't hired.
Don Che
Likes given: 9

Draft JJJ/Bamba/MPJr

Sign Mario

Frank/Mudiay/Mario/Beasley/JJJ or Bamba

I'd roll with that next year. Imagine we are able to click a playoff team with 3 players from the 2015 draft lol