Kanter needs to be traded

Discuss New York Knicks news, current events, players, and history.

Moderators: wallace044, rtn393, Irv

ISIAH_THOMAS
Likes given: 52

Kanter has made positive contributions since coming over to the team, but he has serious limiations and shouldn't be in the future plans. Kanter and Kp duo will never work because it is to slow and not good on defense. Kanter can not defend the pick and roll or rim. They shouldn't tie long term money into him. Kp future is at center. He is the best rim protector in the league. Do you want Kp chasing around PFs getting lit up? KP At center Knicks are a better defensive team. They defend the three point line better. Get a PF who can guard the perimeter, rebound and shoot. Draymond would be great obviously not getting him. A Taj Gibson type player. I've heard Jaren Jackson who would fit or maybe even Robert Williams from the draft. Basically Knicks future relies on KP at Center. Against Cousins, Drummond, Embiid you might want to limit his minutes there, but otherwise he should spent a lot of time at Center.
Fxck Adam Silver
nazrmohamed
Likes given: 246

Put it this way. If your expectation is to win anything of significance then Kanter isn't a starter in this league, however hes probably the best big man you can get off your bench. How much are you willing to pay down the line to have the best bench bigman in the league. Do you have to pay him starter money? My thing is you're paying Noah 18 and we forget he exists. One bad move shouldn't beget another bad move but if we can somehow shed Noahs last year and I'm then giving that money, and I'm not saying the same amount but probably 13mil per, then I can justify it to myself. I mean, with salary cap increases we'll end up giving it right to someone else.

I could see an argument not to though. I like Kanter, he's a warrior. But if someone offers me a mid first and I doing so I can get WHG back into the fold I gotta do it. I just get nervous with trades cuz there are really only 2 types I like. 3 types actually

- draft picks
- players on rookie deals
- large expirings

Rebuilding assets essentially.
H20Knick
Likes given: 3

I have seen nothing to convince me that the knicks are better defensively with KP at center. If the numbers say that, then good, because I don't see how we're ever going to be successful in the modern era with KP playing the 4 spot... but my eye test doesn't see it. Moreover, I don't see how we can rebound sufficiently with KP at the 5.
In Thibs we trust.

2018 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition CHAMPION
2015 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition CHAMPION
Don Che
Likes given: 9

i see names like Taj Gibson/Draymond/JJJ.....We should sign Kevon Looney from GSW. They have Dray and Jordan Bell.....Looney can guard 5-3.

KP is the apex of positionless basketball...idc what he wants to be called...we should match his uniqueness with other cerebral defenders and thats why I wont take KP's numbers at the 5 so far as an indicator.

Weve never seen KP on defense with a front court guy that can defend the paint and 3 point line since hes been here.

I want to see a cerebral defender at the 3...and a strong PJ Tucker/Raja Bell/MKG type defender at the 3 spot. Or just a flat out stud like Doncic and get a plus wirey defended at the 2 and Tim is the green light 6th man

Frank/KP/Looney would be a lot of work to deal with on defense....they are thin so burly players will seal them off but those guys are also going to have to keep up with them on the break.
taowave
Likes given: 817

At 18 mil per,TH Jr is a very expensive 6 th man.

We need a 3.....
NYGM
Likes given: 470

With KP at C we need strong rebounders at PF and SF is not all about one position..

KP is going to protect the rim at high level, he should be able to rebound better just by his body maturing and not having to go outside to chase strech PF's anymore..

What we are going to need is being able to secure the rebounds once KP disrupt other teams offenses..

Playing subpar rebounding players like TWB and Lance is not going to work..
Koopa Troopa
Likes given: 0

KP is always gonna have to chase guys off the three point line. Its an NBA where centers are now good three point shooters. Its hard to even name a team that doesn't at least have one center who can shoot. So whether or not you have Kanter or Draymond KP has to start contesting.

And thats the thing with rebounding too. Its effort. Its not his lack of strength. KP isnt getting pushed around. KP is standing around.
Don Che
Likes given: 9

If Noah can make 17 mill and not play.....I'm good with Tim being a 6th man on a contending team down the line
Championship 16/17

KP will never play the 5

Kanter should be traded for another asset or resigned for the amount of points be averaged for the season. Ex: 14 points per game resign him for 14 million. If you wanted to keep Kanter, I would bring him off the bench with Kyle O'Quinn and extend both of their range for next season so they can play together (both have that ability). Then I will start Willy and see what he can do as a starter. I would trade Kanter before entertaining any other scenario though but it also depends on what we get back (saying this all season)

THJ can be a 4th option on a championship team, if you move him to 6th man role once you get better talent, for example we draft Doncic and use THJ as the back up, then you gotta trade Lee,which I'm not a fan off but I would understand in that situation that Lee has to go. I'm not a fan of THJ, Doncic, or Lee playing the 3, they are just at a disadvantage.

We need a legit SF and Kanter can be that ticket, but are any available now? Get a 3 that can play with KP at the 4 and Doncic at the 2.
spree#8
Likes given: 534

Not sure for whom/what. His contract is too big. Whom do you like better on a compatable deal that is available? If you want a pick, you would've to take on a worse deal, which is a no-go.
I tend to like packaging O'Quinn with McDermott more and more.
#knickstape
cragganmor
Likes given: 93

Only untouchables are kp, frank and our 1st rounders. The guys with the most trade value are lee, koq, Doug, kanter.
taowave
Likes given: 817

What do you think of Kanter?

I was pretty high on the kanter -KP pairing,but apparently Jeff isnt..

spree#8 wrote:Not sure for whom/what. His contract is too big. Whom do you like better on a compatable deal that is available? If you want a pick, you would've to take on a worse deal, which is a no-go.
I tend to like packaging O'Quinn with McDermott more and more.
spree#8

taowave wrote:What do you think of Kanter?

I was pretty high on the kanter -KP pairing,but apparently Jeff isnt..
I like him. You can always use a guy like him, with his rebounding and efficient scoring ability. So my guess is that he stays until his contract runs out either this year or next (which I think is more likely) and then you make him an offer in the price range that fits his role. Maybe 10-12 mill on a long-term deal.

Doesn't mean that he is untouchable. If we can make a good deal with him, of course we could do it. But I doubt that we find a good one, because I don't see many great opportunities. What we ideally want this season is to trade a player for a pick, because we want to clear a logjam at center without creating one at another position. That's something you accomplish through trading low-priced players like O'Quinn. With a high-priced player like Kanter, you would've to take a worse contract back to acquire a pick or trade and invest in a high-priced player at another position. But which one does even make sense?

We have Ntilikina/Burke as prospects at the one, so unless you trade Kanter and Ntilikina for a star point guard that's not too old (Who should that be? My only target would be Lillard and he wants to become the best Blazer ever.), you don't go for that position. We are set at the two or three with THJ , so we could try to move Kanter and McDermott for a star potential two or three to pair with him (but who should that be?). You get to options you probably don't want to invest long-term into. Maybe Fournier could be a likeable option. Maybe. I'm open to suggestions who you guys like at that 18 mill range among players who have as long or longer-term contracts. I don't see much. I like the core of KP, THJ and Frank and don't want to make too big long-term investments around those guys yet. Especially not without knowing whom I can draft and what prospects I can get for our low-priced players.

So even though I like O'Quinn and his connection with McDermott, I would rather move O'Quinn for a pick or both of them for a player like Jeremy Lamb. Clears the logjam and in this example we make a trade for a player who gives us as nice production for our money just like Q'Quinn, but at another position.
#knickstape
thewatcher
Likes given: 2607

^^exactly Spree. Kanter likes it here, everyone knows that, and no-one wants his big contract, those that might take a chance on it risk him walking away with opt out, and coming back here; he loves it here. I'd offer him a 3 year deal at 12 million a year to be our back up center.
n8 the gr8 wrote:
The first rule of NYKFP is you don't talk about NYKFP.
PistolPete
Likes given: 5

Don Che wrote:We should sign Kevon Looney from GSW.

Yes! This guy has been on my radar since the beginning of the season. Will be very young, agile, and inexpensive. We can lose O'Quinn and Thomas for sure.
Damn it feels good to be a tankster.
Minkaveli
Likes given: 172

Can he get us a Point Guard? Haven't had one of those since Raymond Felton played here.
No longer sick and tired that Kurt wasn't hired.
Championship 16/17

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/2 ... ith-Knicks

^^^I think he is a little caught up, if the right moves comes along I would move him. I would target Otto Porter or Harrison Barnes if you're looking for a small Forward. Maybe Kanter, McDermott or Lance Thomas, and a 2nd round pick for Harrison Barnes.

Kyle O'Quinn will not get you a 1st round pick..Trading Quinn and/or McDermott for a Jeremy Lamb is counterproductive. Trading role players for another role player in a different position doesn't seem like the right move.

Lastly, Kanter's contract is NOT big and he can be traded with ease. If he opts out, he knows he is getting less money, and he is only willing to accept that if he stays in New York.

And once again Kanter doesn't finish the game against Utah, of all teams.

If you're unable to trade him at the deadline, I would try again on draft night or next year's deadline. I would not resign him and lock him up. His true colors will come out this season of the next if he stays with NY.
spree#8

Championship 16/17 wrote:https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/2 ... ith-Knicks

^^^I think he is a little caught up, if the right moves comes along I would move him. I would target Otto Porter or Harrison Barnes if you're looking for a small Forward. Maybe Kanter, McDermott or Lance Thomas, and a 2nd round pick for Harrison Barnes.

Kyle O'Quinn will not get you a 1st round pick..Trading Quinn and/or McDermott for a Jeremy Lamb is counterproductive. Trading role players for another role player in a different position doesn't seem like the right move.

Lastly, Kanter's contract is NOT big and he can be traded with ease. If he opts out, he knows he is getting less money, and he is only willing to accept that if he stays in New York.

And once again Kanter doesn't finish the game against Utah, of all teams.

If you're unable to trade him at the deadline, I would try again on draft night or next year's deadline. I would not resign him and lock him up. His true colors will come out this season of the next if he stays with NY.
Heh? That's how you build a team. :? Kanter is earning 20 mill and doesn't play over 30 minutes. THAT IS a big contract. And lastly, we don't need a first-round pick for O'Quinn, a second-rounder is fine. The only thing I agree is, that if the right move comes along, you trade Kanter. But don't expect such a move to come along.
#knickstape
Championship 16/17

Kanter makes 17,884,176 NOT 20,000,000, with an opt out of 18.6 mil for 18/19.

Trading Kyle or even Willy for a 2nd round pick does nothing for this team, b/c they are both 1st round talent that will flourish if giving the opportunity to succeed. We are just making a trade to simply make a trade, but it does nothing in the overall big picture.

Lastly, I do expect a move to come along bc his contract its NOT long, he can start or come off the bench. Like someone mentioned earlier, he can be the best big in the league coming of the bench.

Something will happen at the trade deadline, the shape next season's success.
spree#8

Championship 16/17 wrote:Kanter makes 17,884,176 NOT 20,000,000, with an opt out of 18.6 mil for 18/19.

Trading Kyle or even Willy for a 2nd round pick does nothing for this team, b/c they are both 1st round talent that will flourish if giving the opportunity to succeed. We are just making a trade to simply make a trade, but it does nothing in the overall big picture.

Lastly, I do expect a move to come along bc his contract its NOT long, he can start or come off the bench. Like someone mentioned earlier, he can be the best big in the league coming of the bench.

Something will happen at the trade deadline, the shape next season's success.
You forgot the trade kicker. His salary for this year is over 20 mill (look it up at spotrac.com), but it doesn't matter: the 18.6 mill option is a huge contract to move, because we don't want another long-term commitment in that price range. We don't even want a player, that's why trading O'Quinn for a second-rounder while getting Willy playing time would be a fine move for the future if we are eliminated from the playoff race. But if you want a player, you look at a deal like the one I suggested, because you would want a mid-priced player at another position who can contribute.

If you try to move Kanter for a first-round pick you will have to take on a player you don't want on a bad, long contract. Won't happen. Just doesn't make any sense. So unless you find a lucky trade with Kanter involved (which I don't see), nothing will happen on that front. Moving O'Quinn is just way easier and it's a move to clear a logjam, not a move just to make a move. Getting a second-rounder for a player you won't resign is always an OK move.

This time I only agree with you don't move Willy for a second-round pick, because he is a first-round talent on one of the best contracts in the league. But we didn't talk about this.
#knickstape