Supposedly Karl Anthony Towns is a bad defensive player?

Discuss matters related to other teams, players, and/or the league in general.

Moderators: wallace044, rtn393, Irv, cru77jones

Supposedly Karl Anthony Towns is a bad defensive player?

Postby big_j_NY » December 22, 2017, 4:25 am

I mean.......the video does give a convincing argument, and he is being coached by Thibs. here.

Irony to all of this, he was drafted to be a defensive big man with a polished offensive skillset from the post
#EmbraceTheTank2018

#InPorzingisWeTrust

Hassan Whiteside wrote:I'm just tryin...tryin 2 really get my NBA 2K rating up
big_j_NY

Re: Supposedly Karl Anthony Towns is a bad defensive player?

Postby Koopa Troopa » December 22, 2017, 2:14 pm

I dont see it. Watched the first 3 minutes and you see him contesting shots, not fouling. Constant clips of him getting in front of the offensive player, contesting with both hands up, and the opponent making a difficult shot. How is that bad D??? Unless theres worse clips later on?

The trick with this video is to watch it on mute. None of the clips shown in the first 3 minutes give me any reason to think hes a bad defender. Didnt give me a reason to watch the rest.
Koopa Troopa

Postby big_j_NY » December 22, 2017, 3:32 pm

Koopa Troopa wrote:I dont see it. Watched the first 3 minutes and you see him contesting shots, not fouling. Constant clips of him getting in front of the offensive player, contesting with both hands up, and the opponent making a difficult shot. How is that bad D??? Unless theres worse clips later on?

The trick with this video is to watch it on mute. None of the clips shown in the first 3 minutes give me any reason to think hes a bad defender. Didnt give me a reason to watch the rest.

The rest of the video has some of the same clips, but it displays Andrew Wiggins at fault at most of the defensive mess-ups (which I think may be the real reason at fault here).

So in essence Koop, I do agree with your assessment as well. I don't believe Towns is a bad defensive big man as this video is touting him out to be, BUT he is put into some bad defensive situations due to the fact Andrew Wiggins can barely guard a twig on the court.
#EmbraceTheTank2018

#InPorzingisWeTrust

Hassan Whiteside wrote:I'm just tryin...tryin 2 really get my NBA 2K rating up
big_j_NY

Postby Koopa Troopa » December 22, 2017, 5:07 pm

Yeah... Saw some more. With Wiggins we could say hes still learning. When it comes to rotations and where to be on the court, some of that is instinct and a lot of that can be taught. Its not as if hes getting burnt one on one, its pick and rolls, losing his man off the ball, or sagging off to provide help.

Its also possible that Thibs runs his guys into the ground, a lot of that could be fatigue, a lot of the 'poor contests' in this video were late game and usually clips of Wiggins sagging off for help or just straight up doubling. Its hard to recover even if you are KD if you are doubling a guy in the post. Isnt it other teammates job to rotate to the pass rather than the guy who came in to double????

I didnt like the excerpt saying that opposing teams like to run Towns and Wiggins on PnR's often because they cant defend well. You do that even if they do defend well, you want to make them work on defense so they are tired on the other end.

This guy makes some decent points but he has a clear agenda. And look if thats the consensus TWolves fans have....good. Let them kill their star players value, give me Towns for cheap. :thumbsup:

Actually I quickly looked up Towns stats and he has a high fouls per game stat. If you wanna show a guy is a bad defender then why are you showing clips of him moving his feet and contesting without fouling??? I bet theres a bunch of clips of him just hacking dudes. :?
Koopa Troopa

Postby Don Che » December 26, 2017, 6:01 pm

i didnt hear he was a bad defender until this year....so maybe its the scheme to blame as well as Towns.

hes one of my fave players tho so I'm biased.
Don Che

Postby shakespeare » December 28, 2017, 8:48 am

Timberwolves are 22-13 and gelling. Thibs would serve the team even more justice if they could swing a trade for a pure shooter before the playoffs.
The Porzingis blessing is real.
shakespeare
Writer

Return to NBA