Jeff Hornacek Thread - Fired ( Page 9) and Updated with New Coach Poll

Discuss New York Knicks news, current events, players, and history.

Moderators: wallace044, rtn393, Irv

Pick the New Coach

Blatt
10%
Fizdale
29%
Doc Rivers
2%
Mark Jackson
7%
Budenholzer
29%
Messina
No votes
Stackhouse
17%
Borrego
No votes
Becky Hammon
2%
Other
2%

Total votes: 41
Don Che
Likes given: 9

when was the last time a knicks coach made it till his contract expired?
thewatcher
Likes given: 2626

Props to Horny, he made the right call on Jared Jack and he benched one of the few guys playing well on a lazy play, but brought him back in the second half, and to say this worked would be a tremendous understatement, because Kanter came out in the 3 rd quarter like a man possessed, fighting for offensive rebounds like his life depended on it, and even blocking shots!! Coach, after only 3 games, you've endured a lot of BS from ESPN and fans, really glad the team came out and fought for you!! I'm with coach Horny ALL YEAR!! :drunk:
n8 the gr8 wrote:
The first rule of NYKFP is you don't talk about NYKFP.
Don Che

Was thinking abut makin a separate thread for this but.....

Seems lie these 3 wins in a row has shown our identity a bit..things that we can hang our hat on to win games and based on this roster we can be consistent with it.

Rebounds
2nd chance points
Controlling the turnovers
defend at a respectable level

If we manage to do these things as a young team....i think we are in a good path. We are horrible in shooting 3's and free throws. Once Tim/Doug/Frank get their feet under them that may be better. At this point there is NO REASON why we cant out rebound teams with Kanter/KP/Kyle/Willy/Baker/Frank moving forward. We suck at fast break points but I dont see us fixing that with this roster.
thewatcher

Coach hornacheck was one bad loss against the Nets from being fired!! we'll never know!! but he has never gone negative, he doesn't give up on guys and keeps them involved, the players stay ready and the spirit on the bench is great. He's barely had time to institute his offense and guys were calling for his head!! :sadno: he's always shown class, and wouldn't have his star player in up 20 in the last minute of a pre-season game. But can you guess who would do that? :hammer: tonight is personal. 8-)
n8 the gr8 wrote:
NYGM
Likes given: 473

thewatcher wrote:he's always shown class, and wouldn't have his star player in up 20 in the last minute of a pre-season game. But can you guess who would do that? :hammer: tonight is personal. 8-)
Interesting, hopefully I would be able to watch this one.. I really want this WIN!
thewatcher

Coach hornaceck never went negative during the tough times, he's making all the right moves, using the whole team almost. Very happy for him!!
n8 the gr8 wrote:
NewlyKnicked
Likes given: 160

So far, I like him benching the dudes after defensive absences, his plays centered around KP and movement, his faculty to adapt to different matchups, and how he takes time and energy to teach the youngs esp Frankie. The players are starting to buy in what he wants to do, and that's the most important.

So :thumbsup:
2017 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion
2020 Co-NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion
2021 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion
KnicksRUs
Likes given: 0

I understand Lee and Doug are playing fairly well, but Horny better start finding some minutes for Dotston soon.
"I hate them" - Stugotz
Don Che

the guy i wouldnt play is Beasley

Lee can guard the 2/3 doug can guard the 3/4....Dotson comes in and we can space the 2nd unit and shoot 3's
cragganmor
Likes given: 93

Beez is expendable and he doesn't have much upside. It's worth the risk of playing a rookie like DD, investing in his development will be worth having a good, young D&3 wing; everything we can do to help spread the floor helps kp, having another ball hawk on the perimeter helps frank.
Last edited by cragganmor on November 6th, 2017, 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
big_j_NY
Likes given: 1123

McDermott has been a shocking surprise for me, I didn't know that kid had that type of athleticism in him...........even back in college he was known as strictly a shooter and not a slashing, highlight reel dunker. And it seems every game, Doug has some underrated highlight reel slam in the spotlight.
cragganmor

big_j_NY wrote:McDermott has been a shocking surprise for me, I didn't know that kid had that type of athleticism in him...........even back in college he was known as strictly a shooter and not a slashing, highlight reel dunker. And it seems every game, Doug has some underrated highlight reel slam in the spotlight.
agree, i'd rather give him minutes over beez
cragganmor

One thing overlooked, Jeff repeatedly said in the offseason that defense would be a priority this year. It was pretty rough in TC, but lo and behold, we are #13 in pts allowed per gm, a major improvement over last season; things are definitely improving and going in the right direction, no need to make any major moves.
Don Che

i was thinking about that during last game....this squad individually no one is really good on defense and Jeff has them in the middle of the pack.

Can you imagine what Jeff can do with a real wing player/growth of Frank and getting a "corey brewer/quincy poindexter" type players off the bench.

Kanter/Tim are better defenders now than before and if that gets better...we can be pretty good

also i might add...Kyle is the man..no doubt but Noah is a better defender/rebounder/passer even at this stage. I know you guys might disagree because of the contract but i mean purely just basketball rn.

Noah will also add another element of toughness to this team day in/day out...the question really is

Kyle/Frank/Doug/Lance are locked coming off the bench.......Beas/Noah/Dotson/Baker are battling for the 5th spot in the rotation since it seems like Jeff is rolling with 10.
nazrmohamed
Likes given: 246

big_j_NY wrote:McDermott has been a shocking surprise for me, I didn't know that kid had that type of athleticism in him...........even back in college he was known as strictly a shooter and not a slashing, highlight reel dunker. And it seems every game, Doug has some underrated highlight reel slam in the spotlight.
He was way more than a shooter in college. Remember, he was the college player of the year before he got drafted. I think what we're seeing is him putting it all together at the nba level getting BACK TO the level of play he was able to do in college. FYI though.... he measured great at the combine in verticle and overall athleticism so it was always there. I just don't think the thunder had the room to let him show what he could do. Im glad he got the opportunity here and hope he can continue.
Don Che

havent checked his numbers but it seems like hes still not knocking shots down as good as he usually has in the past..he might take another step forward
cragganmor

We had a rough start, but Jeff has settled on the right 9 guys. I think Noah will have to slowly earn his minutes, otherwise we are risking the team chemistry that got us to 6-4. Perry faces some tough decisions on the roster.
ISIAH_THOMAS
Likes given: 52

Punk coach and the whole team follows his lead

Bye
Fxck Adam Silver
rebound
Likes given: 1104

Complete trash. Phil Jackson sure knows how to pick em.
TOM THIBODEAU'S NEW YORK KNICKS PRESENT:
HEROBALL. A STORY OF THE MID RANGE FADEAWAY JUMPER.
STARRING JALEN BUMSON AND DUBIOUS HANDLES.
CommonSense
Likes given: 13

After we ran Larry Brown and Mike D'Antoni out of town I don't think there's a coach we could get that would really move the needle or that I would be really excited about. And I know those guys were legitimately bad with us but at some point you have to look at the organization. With the Knicks, it just seems like we could end up with Pop and we'd be trashing him 10 games into year 2 like everyone else.
The future ain't what it used to be~Yogi Berra

Inaugural 2019 NYKFP Mock Free Agency Competition Champion :drunk: