IMO our bigs are going to lose us as many games as our guards

Discuss New York Knicks news, current events, players, and history.

Moderators: wallace044, rtn393, Irv

n8 the gr8
Likes given: 167

Call it an overreaction for now. But I think Lee, Frank, Dotson and to a lesser extent Baker aren't going to hurt the team a lot on offense and are going to work pretty hard on defense. At the 4/5 the Knicks are going to lose a lot matchups to small-ball 4s and more modern 5s despite the money sunken in Kanter/Noah.

Something to keep an eye on for the season.
"dam,we got a crier"
~tao

"Throw Payton out and get it over with. I'm getting hungry."
~Clyde
gradyandrew
Likes given: 0

I don't know about Baker, the Rockets went on a run when he came in.

RE: Bigs- what's going on with the rotation? Jeff started KP/ KOQ then Kanter/Beasley, then KP/ Willy, before Kanter and Beasley again. Not to mention starting second halves with Noah/ Beasley and Noah/ Thomas.

Beasley, Thomas, and KP are the power forwards. I don't think two of them have ever shared the court.

Likewise for KOQ, Willy, Enes, and Noah. If Jeff can't or won't play two of those guys at a time, someone won't be getting minutes. Or maybe Jeff will just rotate the players all season so everyone can average 25 minutes, but just play in 50 games.

Vs Washington and Houston, Ramon- Kanter were effective in the pick and roll, and the offense with Jack was effective and democratic. In the Nets games, KP and KOQ stalled the offense.

So far we haven't seen KP and Kanter share the court. Why not? If we have to go all season with KP and Enes playing around each other then I think the Melo trade failed.
Randle in the Rafters
Don Che
Likes given: 9

Jeff has to drill down to 3 bigs.

Start 2(Kp is 1 of them)

And 1 off the bench. If u throw 4 in today's NBA you get chewed up.

If players complain.... defend in practice and earn it.
gradyandrew

Don Che wrote:Jeff has to drill down to 3 bigs.

Start 2(Kp is 1 of them)

And 1 off the bench. If u throw 4 in today's NBA you get chewed up.

If players complain.... defend in practice and earn it.
That's why I'm confused because it seems like Jeff has been playing two teams, 1 is KP/Willy the other Beasley/Kanter, with the latter looking better so far. I'd be way more excited to see the Knicks start K and B, but if the plan is to rebuild around KP does Jeff have to commit to that even if it means losing games?
Randle in the Rafters
DrJ6

gradyandrew wrote:... but if the plan is to rebuild around KP does Jeff have to commit to that even if it means losing games?
Grady, but isn't that exactly the direction for this season?
"Tom Thibodeau had a great saying about our teams in New York: 'Maybe beaten, never out-competed.'"
Don Che

Willy /KP/Noah

Are the bigs I want out there... Kyle can sneak in.

Kanter is talented and all but he doesn't fit... him and will do the same exact thing
taowave
Likes given: 844

The games I have watched have been so brutal that I fall asleep,but from what I see, Kanter is a taller version Melo.Not much D,and can't pass.

I'ld go with

Frank
Timmy
Beasly/Lee
KP
Willie

Beasly is a punt..
thewatcher
Likes given: 2681

^^^Love it!!! Don and Tao don't appreciate Kanter!! :drunk: taking names, I m being nice and not calling out the posters who wanted Holiday cut last pre-season :LOL:
n8 the gr8 wrote:
The first rule of NYKFP is you don't talk about NYKFP.
Don Che

I'd take holiday and KCP at their prices combined over Tim hard away that's for sure
taowave

Start naming names.Take no prisoners!!

I wait all year for you to have a player crush,only to be traded...

I'm sorry,but Kanter doesn't seem to be a guy you would fall for..

I get Balkman,Nate and Holiday..

Don't get Kanter.. BUT
The inside-out potential between him and Porzingis could eventually become a terrifying reality if either guy figures out how to pass the ball. In 2,164 minutes last season, Porzingis dished out only 97 assists, while Kanter handed out merely 67 helpers in 1,533 minutes.
That's really my beef..Neither guy can pass the ball....
thewatcher wrote:^^^Love it!!! Don and Tao don't appreciate Kanter!! :drunk: taking names, I m being nice and not calling out the posters who wanted Holiday cut last pre-season :LOL:
Don Che

we wont be good until we have more defenders/passers in our rotation than guys who cant

getting guys who want to score is easy to find.
taowave

I don't mind Jeff running some high octane offense,but our bigs need to be able to pass out of the double.

I don't see Kanter doing that.
Don Che wrote:we wont be good until we have more defenders/passers in our rotation than guys who cant

getting guys who want to score is easy to find.
thewatcher

why do you think so little of Kanter's passing?? he's going to be surrounded by 4 playmaking shooters: Frank, Lee, THJ, KP.

He will get 1:1 coverage: who is a more potent low-post player in this league??

I dare teams to stop that!! :hmm:
n8 the gr8 wrote:
spree#8
Likes given: 547

All our players will find ways to lose us games until they learn to defend well as a team, which won't be easy for this unexperienced group.
#knickstape
taowave

Mainly because he doesn't lile to pass..

The guy basically was a DNP in the playoffs...

Hopefully,the weight loss will help him on the defensive end..

He's too one dimesional for my liking..

thewatcher wrote:why do you think so little of Kanter's passing?? he's going to be surrounded by 4 playmaking shooters: Frank, Lee, THJ, KP.

He will get 1:1 coverage: who is a more potent low-post player in this league??

I dare teams to stop that!! :hmm:
thewatcher

Tao, consider this, he played back-up center on a team where everything scoring to rebounding was left to Westrook's triple double quest. When he got the ball he was probably more determined to shoot. In the playoffs they went with Adams. Now, 30 pounds lighter, and still as strong but much quicker, I wonder if he gets to start he would relax and pass more? in any case I havren't seen him take a bad shot including the one's he's missed. I just think teams will have trouble gaurding him without doubling, and we don't have anyone who can't shoot like OKC (Roberson).
n8 the gr8 wrote:
gradyandrew

thewatcher wrote:Tao, consider this, he played back-up center on a team where everything scoring to rebounding was left to Westrook's triple double quest. When he got the ball he was probably more determined to shoot. In the playoffs they went with Adams. Now, 30 pounds lighter, and still as strong but much quicker, I wonder if he gets to start he would relax and pass more? in any case I havren't seen him take a bad shot including the one's he's missed. I just think teams will have trouble gaurding him without doubling, and we don't have anyone who can't shoot like OKC (Roberson).
There was a sequence where harden walked down to double Kanter in the post. The three Knicks on the3 ppoint line didn't help mattters by not spreading, allowing the remaining two defenders to play zone, but it was still an easy pass out. Instead, Kanter waited for harden then went 1 on 2.
Randle in the Rafters
thewatcher

^^ hey I'm not saying Kanter won't make mistakes, but that this situation is very different than last years. Give it time and let the pivot man find a comfortable place down low, I think he will surprise in every way. Just a strong hunch. :happy:
n8 the gr8 wrote:
dcapodic

thewatcher wrote:^^ hey I'm not saying Kanter won't make mistakes, but that this situation is very different than last years. Give it time and let the pivot man find a comfortable place down low, I think he will surprise in every way. Just a strong hunch. :happy:
I think there will be a lot of chances to put up numbers on this year's squad and Kanter is positioned to do that. I am not sure it will mean much for the team's success but so be it. The better he does, the more value he builds. His game is not necessarily one that is in demand in the league right now but if he can prove to be a reliable scorer out of the post, he will have value.

I am kinda curious to see what kind of "grit" he has once he starts to get banged around a bit, especially lighter. His game was kinda predicated on his size and few people get stronger as they get lighter.

All in all, I don't worry much about Kanter, he is gonna do what he does, get points down low and in the paint which is something this team needs.
- Me being the resident optimist around this cesspool of doom and gloom, StevoStarks, circa 2019
Don Che

defense and passing is what we need. if Willy dont take it...i think Noah is gonna take it.