Knicks 2017 Free Agency: NYK starts overpaying busters instead

Discuss New York Knicks news, current events, players, and history.

Moderators: wallace044, rtn393, Irv

Mr3037
Likes given: 0

nbafreak724 wrote:1. Save the money
2. Develop the young guys
3. Tank again

It's not rocket science.
Have to agree with this.

I'm fine with us spending if its on players 26 & under.

Just read we are looking at a Rubio trade again which I am also fine with as at least he's only 26. We trade for Rubio, take a SG at 8, hopefully pickup a SF with a 1st rounder we get in a Melo deal to go with KP & Willy and that's a nice young core to develop over the next couple of seasons.
NYK Fan since 92
NYKFP Fan since 04

28 years & counting...Bleeding Orange & Blue
Don Che
Likes given: 9

Dennis is the best killer in this class and if hes there at 8....even tho i see red flags you gotta take him

To keep Dennis in line...id keep the vets along with getting Jonathan simmons if possible.

Ive seen PG's worse then Dennis his freshman year become mvp candidates...its really on the environment and guys to keep the group together.
cragganmor
Likes given: 92

if there's a player on the board that has the ceiling to be a star player at #8, then roll the dice and go with it. he's still only 19, think about who he will be in 3 yrs, not what he did in ncaa this past season. we know he's got an excellent handle, has an nba ready body, can play well above the rim, can dish and shoot it. put a great set of teammates and coaches around him and let him grow. our part is that we have to be patient, let a rookie develop into the best player possible.
gradyandrew

The Knicks traded for Rose the day before the draft last year which means that the Melo deal could already be on the table, with the key difference that because of his no trade clause, there's not much of an incentive to choose early.

Portland is a great example of a potential destination; pieces that work to make a trade, an owner that wants to spend, and a playoff team. But maybe Melo only wants to play in LA or Cleveland. Who know- the ball and much of the summer's free agency plans are stuck in limbo until Melo decides. It seems that the best play on Melo's part is to wait it out. Let the Clippers go deep over the tax to resign everyone and then let the Knicks eat a big JJ Reddick contract to get rid of Melo. Ditto for the Cavs, Bulls, or Boston.
For Melo, there is no downside. This offseason takes the place of another free agency, albeit one conducted publicly because of anti- tampering rules. Nothing is wrong with front offices leaking trade proposals in order to influence Anthony one way or another. We all think it wasnt smart of Phil to announce so openly that Melo was available, but maybe he knew exactly what he was doing like the supermarket saying "Melos half off on aisle 6!"

Even the nuclear option of using the stretch provision or a buyout would be okay with Melo. He'd get his money and be free to hunt a ring somewhere. In that case, the trade kicker might be a benefit. Melo would rather get that kicker money than not. While the extra money from the kicker might not be enough to sell Melo on Sacramento, it might be enough to sell him on the Trailblazers.
Randle in the Rafters
Gheppetto
Likes given: 1780

Looks like real slim pickings in free agency this year. Hard to decide anything until the Melo domino drops. I would actually try to sign Mills (PG, SAS), and draft Monk (SG, Kentucky). There are many Forwards available in free agency (mostly middle level guys) so if Melo gets traded we can get a body until we get a replacement. Obviously if Lowry is looking to leave Toronto I try for him but we have been unable to sign big time free agents and I do not expect that trend to change.
2022 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion (tied)
H20Knick
Likes given: 1

Anyone interested in giving the max (starting at 25 mil next year) to Nerlens Noel? A versatile defender who can pick up whoever KP doesn't want to guard and serve as a defensive anchor long term?
In RJ we trust.

2018 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition CHAMPION
2015 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition CHAMPION
n8 the gr8
Likes given: 137

H20Knick wrote:Anyone interested in giving the max (starting at 25 mil next year) to Nerlens Noel? A versatile defender who can pick up whoever KP doesn't want to guard and serve as a defensive anchor long term?
I like Noel but I'd want to see the Knicks get fair value for O'Quinn and Willy before investing that much in another big.
"dam,we got a crier"
~tao

"Throw Payton out and get it over with. I'm getting hungry."
~Clyde
H20Knick

n8 the gr8 wrote: I like Noel but I'd want to see the Knicks get fair value for O'Quinn and Willy before investing that much in another big.
I'd actually keep Willy.
In RJ we trust.

spree#8
Likes given: 523

H20Knick wrote:Anyone interested in giving the max (starting at 25 mil next year) to Nerlens Noel? A versatile defender who can pick up whoever KP doesn't want to guard and serve as a defensive anchor long term?
Whut? No. That's too high of a price tag.
#knickstape
gradyandrew

Item Number 2 after Melo has to be which players on the team do we want to keep around. It's possible that Phil again goes all in for a full rebuild. It's just hard for me to believe that he would or could. I honestly think that outside of moving Melo the Knicks roster will pretty much look the same as it did this season. Meaning that Phil's big priorities will be Holiday and Rose. I think both will get offers of about 10 million per year, and that is probably the main reason that Phil is working towards a Melo trade ASAP. It will be completely deflating to us as fans but I really believe that Phil sees Melo as the root of all our problems and that there's a good team to be developed if Melo can be removed from the picture.
Randle in the Rafters
shakespeare

Is it possible that Phil Jackson believes he can land a star small forward (in free agency) if Melo's no longer on the team, like maybe Gordon Hayward?
#TeamTank
spree#8
Likes given: 523

shakespeare wrote:Is it possible that Phil Jackson believes he can land a star small forward (in free agency) if Melo's no longer on the team, like maybe Gordon Hayward?
Nope. He is going young this summer, preparing to rebuild further through the draft. At least that is the impression I have. Don't expect much in free agency.
#knickstape
shakespeare

spree#8 wrote:
Nope. He is going young this summer, preparing to rebuild further through the draft. At least that is the impression I have. Don't expect much in free agency.
Hopefully as this may be the best possible scenario New York's present and future.
#TeamTank
shakespeare

Gheppetto wrote:draft Monk
#TeamTank
H20Knick

gradyandrew wrote:Item Number 2 after Melo has to be which players on the team do we want to keep around. It's possible that Phil again goes all in for a full rebuild. It's just hard for me to believe that he would or could. I honestly think that outside of moving Melo the Knicks roster will pretty much look the same as it did this season. Meaning that Phil's big priorities will be Holiday and Rose. I think both will get offers of about 10 million per year, and that is probably the main reason that Phil is working towards a Melo trade ASAP. It will be completely deflating to us as fans but I really believe that Phil sees Melo as the root of all our problems and that there's a good team to be developed if Melo can be removed from the picture.
Outside of KP and Willy, there arent any players that need to stay. I like KOQ, he should be able to yield some picks in trades. Everyone else is not good enough and/or too old to be useful to this team in the long term. Holiday and Baker can stay to fill roster spots, as I dont think we'll get anything for them but they wont win us games and ruin the tankfest. I think you're right, grady. I think Phil too thinks removing melo will fix everything. He's going to be sadly mistaken, I've seen GM/Coach after GM/Coach excise what they perceived to be knicks cancers only to find that their team still sucked. Steph, ZBo, JR, I guess it's Melo's turn.
In RJ we trust.

gradyandrew

Maybe all of this has just been a Zen mind trick. Phil saw 30 games into the season that it wasn't working out this season and our best option was to tank for a lottery pick in a loaded draft. By offering up anyone on the roster he's really making Melo and KP think about the value of playing in New York.
Randle in the Rafters
gradyandrew

I just don't buy it that the Knicks will buy out Carmelo. If they do so before July 30 the remaining two years are spread over 5, after July 30 they'd be spread over 3 years. So an early decision would open up more cap room this year. The problem is Melo has an ETO for next season. If the Knicks buy out his contract now, they will automatically have to guarantee that last year. If the Knicks go nuclear instead, they pay Melo to stay away from the team, then it becomes possible to put pressure on Melo to at least take the ETO. That last year at 27 would be enough to sign a younger max contract, the year before KPs theoretical extension would.

The argument for Melo would be that if he didn't play for two seasons, he wouldn't be able to sign much of a final contract.
Randle in the Rafters
H20Knick

i dont know if you guys knew this or not...

but theres no reason to get cap space because no free agent wants to play here.
In RJ we trust.

Don Che
Likes given: 9

We need a playoff team with home grown talent to lure a free agent

but if i could get rid of Lee or Noah today? id do it.

Lee isnt a bad player at all but he just isnt the defender a lot of ppl thought and while i do think Noah is still a good rebounder and passer hes just so severely overpaid
cragganmor
Likes given: 92

I just don't see us having much to offer a fa, we couldn't even throw a true max dollar deal if we wanted to. Better to get younger, grow a capable roster; phil signed a lot of good talented kids, we should give them a genuine shot at making the team.

Having said that, we should re-sign baker and holiday, without breaking the bank.
Last edited by cragganmor on June 26th, 2017, 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.