Knicks 2017 Free Agency: NYK starts overpaying busters instead

Discuss New York Knicks news, current events, players, and history.

Moderators: wallace044, rtn393, Irv

H20Knick
Likes given: 1

Damn N8, call me out why don't you.

I still think if we'd gotten Fultz, the Knicks could've been legitimately competitive with Dwight
In RJ we trust.

2018 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition CHAMPION
2015 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition CHAMPION
n8 the gr8
Likes given: 137

H20Knick wrote:Damn N8, call me out why don't you.

I still think if we'd gotten Fultz, the Knicks could've been legitimately competitive with Dwight
I only referenced it because you were both making pretty convincing arguments, and in both scenarios I'd have to think long and hard about going after the established players. But now that Fultz isn't in the cards anymore thinking about Dwight in a knicks uniform just gives me panic attacks.
"dam,we got a crier"
~tao

"Throw Payton out and get it over with. I'm getting hungry."
~Clyde
Mr3037
Likes given: 0

marcuscamby23 wrote:I would be happy if we were mediocre.
That's ICE COLD
NYK Fan since 92
NYKFP Fan since 04

28 years & counting...Bleeding Orange & Blue
nazrmohamed
Likes given: 241

You're like the little devil on the shoulder of all of the fans that want to have a proper rebuild. Kind of like H20 pointing out how trading for Dwight Howard makes so much sense if things fall into place right.

JRue does make more sense if Isaac falls I can't lie. I still doubt we'll have a chance at signing JRue. And if we do, do we really want to try rebuilding like that? Noah, Lee, Thomas, Jrue and Melo doesn't really look like a rebuilding team. If we put off a blowup then miss the playoffs with that team then things start to fall apart then we'll be terrible at the end of KP's contract extension. To me the clock is ticking to have a team built the right way, if KP signs a 3 year extension then we have 5 more years to have a team that looks like it's going places. We have time to do it right, but doing it right to me means having a high lottery pick next year. I don't know if Jrue is worth the difference in pingpong balls and pick positions we'll have the next few years. If you're looking at 5 years from now at best it's a wash.
Did I say I plan on keeping Melo? Did I say anything about keeping Lee or Noah? Nope. I said go after one type of FA, an established pg. Could be via a trade that sheds any combination of those players. Anybody ever think of that?

I never even said we should give up draft picks to do so. I just implied that it couldnt hurt that if over the next 3 yrs is to get a ton of young studs, it might not be a bad idea that the guy dishing out opportunities to them knows what he's doing and isn't developing himself.
n8 the gr8
Likes given: 137

I'm not talking about not having picks, I'm saying that by signing Jrue you're giving up spots in every draft. The Knicks with Jrue will win more games than the Knicks without Jrue. Repeat that over 5 years and I'm not sure he's worth the difference.
"dam,we got a crier"
~tao

"Throw Payton out and get it over with. I'm getting hungry."
~Clyde
Don Che
Likes given: 9

I'm lukewarm on Jrue....im more scared about the money it would take to get him.
cragganmor
Likes given: 92

only thing that scares me about jrue is his injury history; last season was his first in a while w/o missing significant time. risky to sign a long term max type deal.
big_j_NY
Likes given: 1103

cragganmor wrote:only thing that scares me about jrue is his injury history; last season was his first in a while w/o missing significant time. risky to sign a long term max type deal.
....due to injury.

He did miss a good portion of the early half of the season due to his wife's cancer treatment. If anything, that may have helped him out in staying healthy for the remaining parts of the season that he did play.
ISIAH_THOMAS
Likes given: 52

Jrue makes this team mediocre maybe get in Theo playoffs and bounced in first round. New Orleans with cousins and Davis has a. Higher ceiling and makes more sense for him
Fxck Adam Silver
nazrmohamed

I can understand not going all in for Melo when our eyes are on the future. But when we actuary draft the future I don't understand (after trading Melo) not going all in for them. We got KP, will still get a top flight prospect this year. The rest of our roster woukd be young as well. I don't think at this point we have to continue doing more than trying to win, keeping and adding draft picks and then drafting well wherever we draft.

Im just saying I don't believe we should tank anymore. Even with a player like Jrue or Teague we'll probably not be a good team. But I think they'd go along way in helping us look like were actualy running an offense while watching players around them get better.

But if we're determined to have that player be a rookie then Id highly endorse Dennis Smith Jr. I just feel like at 8 he's the most likely to have a great rookie season. I think Isaac and Ntilikina have higher potentials but maybe I gotta wait till sophmore season to really see it. Smith could be rookie of the year this year, there's really no reason he couldn't.
Stressin

nazrmohamed wrote:I can understand not going all in for Melo when our eyes are on the future. But when we actuary draft the future I don't understand (after trading Melo) not going all in for them. We got KP, will still get a top flight prospect this year. The rest of our roster woukd be young as well. I don't think at this point we have to continue doing more than trying to win, keeping and adding draft picks and then drafting well wherever we draft.

Im just saying I don't believe we should tank anymore. Even with a player like Jrue or Teague we'll probably not be a good team. But I think they'd go along way in helping us look like were actualy running an offense while watching players around them get better.

But if we're determined to have that player be a rookie then Id highly endorse Dennis Smith Jr. I just feel like at 8 he's the most likely to have a great rookie season. I think Isaac and Ntilikina have higher potentials but maybe I gotta wait till sophmore season to really see it. Smith could be rookie of the year this year, there's really no reason he couldn't.

The Lakers or Celtricks rookie will receive the ROY .. coach Walton and coach Stevens are ten times a better headcoach than Hornacek. Selecting the young Frenchmen Frank Nitty's relentless defense n passing-skills for the future of the Knicks would be a much needed asset 3 to 4 years from now.
ISIAH_THOMAS
Likes given: 52

to old for a rebuilding team?
Fxck Adam Silver
H20Knick

Great, 2 role players over 30. Just what this team needs
In RJ we trust.

Don Che

Its smart to put blue collar tough minded guys around young talent.

Its not really worth worrying about until we know what we are getting back for Melo

Throw Jonathan Simmons in that list also...hes RFA so i doubt we get him but if we did that would be clutch. In another post i mentioned dogs on the roster...him/dante/pj all fit that.

I still believe Melo to Portland just makes too much sense...get Aminu/Evan Turner...Dump Lee somehow

Dennis or Frank/Simmons/Turner/KP/Will ...with Baker/Lee/Lance/Aminu/Noah along with 20th pick/27th pick/44th pick

thats a solid group...depending on how good your rookie guard is...you may be a playoff team.

I think the plan is to be a gritty/team oriented team aka the Grizzlies until our 8th pick/KP get to prime status and take the east.

and I have not one problem with that....if your not a star aka a guy that can drop 20 or more and bring something on defense on a regular...you gotta be defense/team oriented/high IQ guys. 3 all stars and guys like that gets rings. Gotta pray KP/8th pick are 2 all stars down the line and sign another one once we prove ourselves in the playoffs with a young team.
lxn_

dont mind having pj tucker on a cheap deal. guy can shoot and defend extremely well. Like what don said, I wouldnt mind having a playstyle close to the grizz, pretty slow pace but defensive culture as a foundation is good going forward.
nbafreak724

1. Save the money
2. Develop the young guys
3. Tank again

It's not rocket science.
"Come at the king, you best not miss."
Don Che

if we get a 1st rounder in the Melo deal...im not for the tank next year

If you pick the right 3-4 players that fit...the rest should be a blend of prime and over the hill players.

I'm not a huge fan of having 6+ players under 23 on a roster..things can get crazy real fast
H20Knick

Don, I think we have to tank for an alpha. KP and DSJ/Monk/Frank will be good 2nd and 3rd options. But without Melo, I don't think they get you anywhere near a playoff spot. I'd go all in on auditioning young talent on the way to Michael Porter Jr.

And why would Melo want to go to Portland. They were the 8 seed. They're nowhere close to being contenders, even with Melo
In RJ we trust.

Don Che

personally....im not crazy about next years draft at all....Michael Porter doesnt look better than Tatum did last year. And I dont see any guard better than Dennis Smith Jr....not one shooter better than Monk.

Frank i havent seen full games so w/e i can't really gauge it.

Players grow man...Curry and Kawhi werent str8 killers at 21 years old or 2nd year in the league...they got better...team got better and the take over just happens.

I still dont think KP is a finished product...I also dont think he's had the playmakers on the roster to really get him easy baskets.

not all alphas are Kobe and Lebron setting the league on fire at 22...the rest of them including the guy hes compared to Dirk...took time to get to that point.

If KP was 18/8 at 26 years old and the 2nd option(which is a good player btw if you include his shot blocking) then fine..hes no alpha just a guy who helps you win...BUT.....hes 21...he went 18/7/2 at 21...as the 3rd option.

as for Melo going to Portland....they were an 8th seed but

Nurkic went on the team later in the year and hurt in the playoffs
Lillard is a flat out stud....CJ will free things up...just from an offensive stand point...Melo at the 4(something i still think he can defend ok in and beast offensively) can make get higher on the food chain.

are they Golden State?..no but no team he goes to is better than Golden State unless he signs the min and go to Lebron land. Outside of that....him on Portand is better than him on the Clippers...no doubt in my mind. Boston?...maybe but I dont see Ainge messin with a division team. Portland just makes logical sense for everyone involved
nazrmohamed

H20Knick wrote:Don, I think we have to tank for an alpha. KP and DSJ/Monk/Frank will be good 2nd and 3rd options. But without Melo, I don't think they get you anywhere near a playoff spot. I'd go all in on auditioning young talent on the way to Michael Porter Jr.

And why would Melo want to go to Portland. They were the 8 seed. They're nowhere close to being contenders, even with Melo
There's really nobody in any draft that along with anther top 4 pick from 2 yrs prior whose gonna make a team contenders so that's a moot point. Perhaps when the younger of the two is 23 I can see it being possible but players come into the league too young to expect contention. So I would list that as a reason to hold or keep Melo. As for your list though I think DSJ could be that guy. I think if Kyle Lowry could be that guy or Isiah Thomas could be that guy why couldn't the best statistical pg in the lottery outside of Fultz who himself could end up a SG depending on the coach. I think Fultz is a PG like Marcus Smart is a pg. Better player but there's nothing really pure about him is all Im saying. Maybe Westbrook or Harden or more likely. But DSJ while being a scoring pg himself, I still feel like he's a craftier passer