Reasons to DISLIKE Porzingis...

Discuss New York Knicks news, current events, players, and history.

Moderators: wallace044, rtn393, Irv

lxn_
Likes given: 0

Looks like he had a change of heart and now wants to play for latvia. http://nypost.com/2017/04/18/kristaps-p ... nt-knicks/
This is bad news to me, I wanted him to completely work on his body and this tournament is lengthy and will consume his summer.
n8 the gr8
Likes given: 167

Last year when KP came into training camp at the exact same weight he did as a rookie people told me he "looked stronger in the core". What will the narrative be this time?
:?
"dam,we got a crier"
~tao

"Throw Payton out and get it over with. I'm getting hungry."
~Clyde
lxn_

is he doing this to spite the FO? i mean just a few days ago he said he didnt want to play for latvia and instead focus on working out, and now he seems certain he'll play for latvia.
NYGM
Likes given: 487

Where's the pannic buttom pick?
Ingus

Isn't him playing for national team a positive though? He will be expected to be a leader there. No Melo or Rose. I think it would serve as a good test of character.
There is always the risk of injury, sure. But NBA has 82 game season, and a more physical play, than European Championships. And this tournament only lasts for ~2weeks.
I think KP could come out of this summer in his best form yet, both physically and mentally.

But I'm Latvian, so my angle here is very obvious :D
thewatcher
Likes given: 2681

When he hits his prime is KP more likely to excel in the slow down physical game of the playoffs like we see from Greg Monroe; or is he likely to play worse with the intense pressure like a Steve Novack. Obviously is going to be better than both of these guys, but we haven't seen him in the playoffs, and it doesn't hurt to ask the question.
n8 the gr8 wrote:
The first rule of NYKFP is you don't talk about NYKFP.
StevoStarks
Likes given: 9

I still think KP is the least of our worries. He's becoming a product of our dysfunctional environment and anyone talk of regression has to start with the staff on this team. The zoo that is the New York Knicks is not doing anyone any favors on this roster, and that definitely goes for KP.
"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
- Dr. Seuss

"Woody was the perfect coach for these mutts."
- taowave

"Is he REALLY injured?? A part of me doesnt believe that he is and I think he's just being a bitch. Bitch-nani."
- rynyk222
Geolink

KP a real dumb one to not focus on his body this summer.

Now if he gets injured playing outside the team it's our ass. And I'm sure playing that early will definitely take a toll on your body in the later parts of the season.

He can ask his homeboy Melo with his Olympic medal dreams.
Geolink wrote:Must be nice to sit out for months from your job, still earn millions in guaranteed money, and fucking a nice model girlfriend at a tropical beach...
nazrmohamed
Likes given: 251

Why must playing basketball constitute not working on his body. I go to the gym one hr per day 5x week and I must say, the transformation ha been noticeable. Difference is though I was getting fat and trimmed down but I don't think one can't do the opposite, in fact Im getting stronger and bigger in my arms and back.

Anyway, this is about kp but my point is once you commit to working on your body, you'll get results. I don't think he HAS made a commitment up till now so now I expect to see results. Hes gotta simply add a high calorie diet and get to work.

I think many of you have this unwarranted phobia of lifting weights and playing sports.
n8 the gr8

nazr I don't think it's a question of hours in the day or willpower thing. But you never see a finesse player (especially a shooter) put on weight during the season. Serious strength-building workouts make it almost impossible to keep your stroke right day to day. Every time I used to shoot right after a full-body workout I'd leave jumpshots short by like a foot then when you start shooting the next morning you're long by like a foot. I doubt trainers have guys doing high-weight workouts within 48 hours of any given tipoff (in the regular season, barring rehab).

You can be gaining weight and work on stuff like mechanics and fundamentals and then take a week at the start of the season to get your legs under you, but you just won't be at your best day to day while you're getting a lot stronger.
"dam,we got a crier"
~tao

~Clyde
NYGM
Likes given: 487

nazrmohamed wrote:Why must playing basketball constitute not working on his body. I go to the gym one hr per day 5x week and I must say, the transformation ha been noticeable. Difference is though I was getting fat and trimmed down but I don't think one can't do the opposite, in fact Im getting stronger and bigger in my arms and back.

Anyway, this is about kp but my point is once you commit to working on your body, you'll get results. I don't think he HAS made a commitment up till now so now I expect to see results. Hes gotta simply add a high calorie diet and get to work.

I think many of you have this unwarranted phobia of lifting weights and playing sports.
I'm not worried about him lifting weights at all.

I'm concerned about not getting a stronger base and core first..

He needs to bulk up for sure,
taowave
Likes given: 844

KTap is the Boss. Guy blows off exit meetings and is now headed to play for Latvia. I am not sure If have ever seen someone intentionally pull something like this. And Rose is an idiot,this is different.

Knicks forward Kristaps Porzingis said he wants to spend his entire career in New York but acknowledged winning is the most important factor in deciding his long-term future.

“Absolutely, I want to stay here all my career," Porzingis told Latvian magazine Sporta Avize, per Marc Berman of the New York Post. “But the thing I want most of all is winning. When the time comes, I will seriously start to think about it. Right now I just try to do my best."

Porzingis, 21, skipped out on his exit meeting with Knicks President Phil Jackson due to displeasure with the organization's direction. Ian Begley of ESPN.com reported Porzingis is unhappy with the inconsistent offensive philosophies and organizational outlook during his two years with the team.

While he stopped short of blasting Jackson, it's clear Porzingis wants a clearer vision for the future. He was also not appreciative of how the Knicks president handled the Carmelo Anthony situation.

“This was a situation media did not hesitate to heat up more than it was in reality," Porzingis said. "I think there was some mistakes from Phil—things he maybe shouldn’t [have] said or written, things that made the situation worse or made him not look good. But at the same time—it’s that kind of business. I understand.’’

Anthony, arguably the Knicks' best player since Patrick Ewing, was the subject of near-constant trade rumors during the regular season. His relationship with Jackson slowly deteriorated in public and in private to the point it's unlikely he returns in 2017-18 despite having a no-trade clause. Jackson told reporters that Anthony would be "better off somewhere else" at his season-ending press conference.

The discord reared its head on the court with the Knicks finishing 31-51. Porzingis said he wants to take more of a leadership role going forward, particularly on the defensive end.

As a player who wants to be leader someday—when I saw things we need to change and be better at—I tried to speak up in the locker room. But there are many players used to playing this kind of basketball for more than ten years so you can’t change them. Coaches can try but it is what it is.

In a one way this was a good year for me to see how can I handle so crappy a time and learn from that. It was unpleasant but valuable experience to learn from, to get through it and continue to play with the right attitude and maximum concentration. If you want to be a leader you have to start with yourself — first you have to look in the mirror and ask yourself: what can you do better? And only then tell your teammates what they should do better…a real test for the brains.
Regardless of Porzingis' desire to stay in New York, his comfort with publicly pressuring the Knicks already does not speak well to Jackson's tenure.
rebound
Likes given: 1141

hopefully he backs up his off the court actions with his on court performance next season.
TOM THIBODEAU'S NEW YORK KNICKS PRESENT:
HEROBALL. A STORY OF THE MID RANGE FADEAWAY JUMPER.
STARRING JALEN BUMSON AND DUBIOUS HANDLES.
n8 the gr8

I think one of the excerpts from the article tao posted is translated from his press conference in Latvia. I haven't seen the whole thing translated but somebody did a lot of it on reddit

[Edit, big j posted a working link]

it's a lot more revealing than most of the interviews I've read that he's done in the US. Pretty brutally honest.
Last edited by n8 the gr8 on April 25th, 2017, 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
"dam,we got a crier"
~tao

~Clyde
big_j_NY
Likes given: 1127

n8 the gr8 wrote:I think one of the excerpts from the article tao posted is translated from his press conference in Latvia. I haven't seen the whole thing translated but somebody did a lot of it on reddit

it's a lot more revealing than most of the interviews I've read that he's done in the US. Pretty brutally honest.

That is the very first page of the reddit link that you posted up, n8.

And pretty much, the entire press conference has been translated. And yes, it is a lot more candid than some of his US interviews.

Although, KP has maintained his "no comment" stance when it relates to his whole "exit-game interview abandonment" at the end of this season.
gradyandrew

Most telling nugget from that interview, "There is one member of the coaching staff I'm in contact with."

Seems like KP is already looking for the exits.
Randle in the Rafters
big_j_NY
Likes given: 1127

gradyandrew wrote:Most telling nugget from that interview, "There is one member of the coaching staff I'm in contact with."

Seems like KP is already looking for the exits.
I'm praying that "the one member" is Hornacek, at the very least.

If the head coach is at least on KP's side, then it'll help us in the long-run over the "senile old idiot" in the basketball management chair.
n8 the gr8

big_j_NY wrote:

That is the very first page of the reddit link that you posted up, n8.

And pretty much, the entire press conference has been translated. And yes, it is a lot more candid than some of his US interviews.

Although, KP has maintained his "no comment" stance when it relates to his whole "exit-game interview abandonment" at the end of this season.
Thanks for posting a working link. But yeah thought that was interesting.
"dam,we got a crier"
~tao

~Clyde
lxn_

^^ just read the link too. what caught my attention though was the comments on the site regarding KPs brother as his main trainer. Here's a quote that struck me

" And his brothers have what kind of experience in guiding someone in the NBA? Do they know what he needs to do as far as training and work outs? Do they know what decisions are best for his career and for his development as a team leader".

Im also starting to believe they(mostly janis) will be a problem soon. My concern started last offseason when i saw a bunch of interviews of KP and him. I got the vibe that kp indeed really wanted to add some weight, even as little as 4-6lbs(just my guess) but I think it was his brother who told him not to. To me, reading between the lines that translated to" I dont lose a ton of money(KP is his cash source)" which is a perfectly fine reason. but dont tell people something he believes is much more acceptable and noble.
gradyandrew

Of all the problems facing the Knicks, I think KPs brother has to be the one I least care about. Obviously they just want what is best for him. Money wise it's impossible for another team to offer more than the Knicks on an extension, so if there interest is just getting pe, then he'll retire a Knick.
Randle in the Rafters