[Merged] 2017 Draft Discussion...

Discuss NCAA and international hoops and scout and evaluate players for the NBA Draft.

Moderators: wallace044, rtn393, Irv

Don Che
Likes given: 9

Mathias/Jordan Bell And Wesley are the guys I want outside of our lottery pick
cragganmor
Likes given: 93

i think bell played his way into the first. he'll need to get stronger, polish his perimeter shot, but his high motor to pressure the ball, rebounding and toughness translate well to the nba.
KnicksFanInSouthFL
Likes given: 0

As good as Bell is defesively/on the boards his limitations on the offensive end will make him a liability at the next level. And as witnessed by Noah's performance this season playing 5 vs 4 is hard to overcome.

At Bell's very best he'll be Kenneth Faried-lite. Which ain't nuthin to snooze at but I believe Ndour could provide the same level of production if given the right opportunity, plus he's a much better offensive player.

I'd also take Jaron Blossomgame and Cameron Oliver over Bell for the same reasons. :?

As for Iwundu he'd be a solid second round option but if I'd have to choose I'd go with Dwayne Bacon for his scoring potential.
Is Melo-God Zen-o-phobic?
Don Che

Bacon fits the triangle very well...could be a stud but...he just doesnt bring it defensively on a regular basis to really do it but..if hes there deep in the 2nd its a no brainer.

I just trust players to learn how to score with given the opportunity...i kinda want guys to come in ready to defend and move the ball from their rookie years and see how they develop in regards to late 1st rounders/2nd round guys

our lottery pick is a totally different expectation ...has to be able to provide something positive on offense and defense from day 1.
Don Che

nazrmohamed
Likes given: 246

The draw of Frank from the a team perspective is were slowly building a pretty young international team. That could be the thing that brings them together. Frank also at his size could convert to a playmaking SG which is something I'm sure Phil would love. Now just temper your hate for this comparison but I see a playstyle or mannerisms in play very similar to kobe. Yeah that's a death sentence but the triangle had been at its best with SGs who could play pg. Or he could just be a tall ass pg but Id be happy to get him.

The only thing I'm concerned with is right now he could be all potential. I don't doubt he'll reach it but ny is never patient. A guy like DSJ I think could come in and live up to at least 80% of his potential in his rookie year. Frank would probably be at 40.
lxn_

was impressed with his body. Last time I saw him on vid he was skinny, probably around 170+ and now they list him at 190 which is great for a PG. But i still think you have to be extremely patient with this guy, probably same route as giannis which took 2-3 years but well worth it. Fine with him fox,monk or smith.
rebound
Likes given: 1104

cant complain at 7 or 8.

still hoping for fultz or jackson.
TOM THIBODEAU'S NEW YORK KNICKS PRESENT:
HEROBALL. A STORY OF THE MID RANGE FADEAWAY JUMPER.
STARRING JALEN BUMSON AND DUBIOUS HANDLES.
KnicksFanInSouthFL

I just hope Markkanen impresses at the pre-draft camps the way Putback-P did and jumps into the top 4...

Some will rise while others slide, so at this point we're almost guaranteed a chance at drafting an impact player. Not even Phil could fuck this up... That said, I'm fully prepared to welcome Isaiah Hartenstein or Rodions Kurucs to our team.
Is Melo-God Zen-o-phobic?
nazrmohamed

KnicksFanInSouthFL wrote:I just hope Markkanen impresses at the pre-draft camps the way Putback-P did and jumps into the top 4...

Some will rise while others slide, so at this point we're almost guaranteed a chance at drafting an impact player. Not even Phil could fuck this up... That said, I'm fully prepared to welcome Isaiah Hartenstein or Rodions Kurucs to our team.
That would be my dream. Out of reach of Phil to pick him while at the same time sliding my faves back. I think Im fine with anyone in, for reference, Draftexpress' top ten except for EXCEPT for Markkanen. Some I like more than others but outside of him, I'm like lets ride.
Don Che

Greek Freak coming up....may be a project but....so was KP
StevoStarks

Don Che wrote:Greek Freak coming up....may be a project but....so was KP
That's why you don't give up and hit the eject button after 2 years.
"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
- Dr. Seuss

"Woody was the perfect coach for these mutts."
- taowave

"Is he REALLY injured?? A part of me doesnt believe that he is and I think he's just being a bitch. Bitch-nani."
- rynyk222
nazrmohamed

Seeing Lauri Markkanen in our draft slot got me like.... uugggghhh
cragganmor

we should take a look ay derek willis, 6'9" f from Kentucky, good rebounder​ and defender, efficient scoring on low usage and can hit the 3.
Don Che

Exactly stevo

I remember when the greak freak was coming off the bench for a lil bit...I remember Andrew Wiggins being compared to James Posey or some other role player and considered a scrub early on due to efficiency or lack there of on both ends.

But......I hear ppl on this board say they'd trade KP

I think the Knicks have traded so many draft picks since 1995 that they literally never seen a players progression everyday its unchartered territory to fathom players getting better.

Giannis went 13/6/2 assists as a sophomore and shot 15 percent from 3........he's a top 10 player in the NBA right now.

Russ went as a soph 16/8 on low %'s across the board....triple double champion/MVP right now

KP is 18/7/2 as a sophomore.......... trade him right now

Take Frank....get lucky in the 2nd round or whoever we trade Melo for and let's build a core that can grow together. The cap is set that 1. Draft picks are more valuable than ever. 2. The max on homegrown talent is so high... guys drafted together can build success for years together
cragganmor

landry fields, iman shumpert, tim hardaway jr,langston galloway... each was nba all-rookie. what did we do with them? never really kept developing them beyond their initial year and they never really got to be all they could be. thj still has upside, he was lucky enough to get to atl and their university system really helped him a ton, but it was tough for him, had to shed all of the bad habits he accumulated.

the caution is that kp and whg, anyone else that we draft will be headed in that direction unless we change the culture away from win now to a long-term commitment on excellence.
Don Che

All the guys you just named were late first round types..which are different talent tiers than lottery guys

but overall i def agree..we have to commit to a core of players that can compete on offense and defense, fit the style of play the organization wants and dont bail on them the moment bad things happen.

I'm starting to believe Dennis Smith Jr/KP/Will is a solid trio to work with, just have defenders on the wing positions..one can shoot the other can be a secondary playmaker and see what they can do.

I like Frank also but I am curious how Dennis would do with this group.
H20Knick
Likes given: 3

nbadraft.net's recent mock has Jayson Tatum's NBA comparison listed as.... Allan Houston
In Thibs we trust.

2018 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition CHAMPION
2015 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition CHAMPION
Don Che

Allan was a better shooter in every category in college

Def not a good comparison

I do feel Tatum is more of a 2 right now based on his frame alone
Rusty La Rue
Likes given: 794

Dennis Smith Jr. also intrigues me if we stay at 7. I believe we start Noah instead of Willy but Willy plays big minuttes of the bench (Noah probably gets injured and then Willy starts). Again I must mention Otto Porter to replace Melo, A starting 5 of Smith Jr./Lee/Porter/KP/Noah with Willy, KOQ, LT, Holiday and Baker of the bench is exciting. It is a young team with a couple of veterans a they should be able to play solid D. I do not know if they would make the playoffs but one more lottery picks next year wouldn't be the worst and then we should be a playoff team with a ton of upside...
2023 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion
2020 Co-NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion
"Everybody gets excited about youth except the coach, because he knows youth means mistakes, mistakes mean losses, losses means you're fired."