I have a dream

Discuss New York Knicks news, current events, players, and history.

Moderators: wallace044, rtn393, Irv

Rusty La Rue
Likes given: 788

Otto Porter to the Knicks... I am ready to use all our cap space on Otto Porter and then go all in on drafting a PG. It would be even better if we convince Washington to do a sign and trade with Melo for Porter, then we would free up a lot more money.

Then we could move forward with a young core group of Willy, KP, Porter & the PG we draft. Keep Lee, Holiday, Baker, Lance & O'Quinn isn't that a pretty exciting 9 man rotation? Of course if Noah is ready we probably have to play him aswell but at least he plays hard...

I know there is probably no change this happens... But a guy can dream... right?
2023 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion
2020 Co-NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion
"Everybody gets excited about youth except the coach, because he knows youth means mistakes, mistakes mean losses, losses means you're fired."
n8 the gr8
Likes given: 151

For the Wizards to do a sign and trade with Porter they can't go over the cap to do it. Looks like their salary is around 89 million and the cap is projected to be around 104 so I don't they could sign him to a max contract and trade him without clearing out other salary first. For that to work you'd have to hope that no other team is offering a max.

I've been talking about signing a veteran rather than a young guy but I wouldn't be opposed to offering Porter a max. I expect Washington to match but I think it'd be worth a try.
"dam,we got a crier"
~tao

"Throw Payton out and get it over with. I'm getting hungry."
~Clyde
nazrmohamed
Likes given: 246

Well let's not make the same mistake twice and forget that a max contract isn't the same for all players. Someone will have to do the math for me but I believe Porters max will be in the teens based on years in the league. He's a young player so Id be happy to see that happen.
H20Knick
Likes given: 3

I've been advocating a max for Porter or KCP for a couple weeks now..

I originally assumed the Wizards would match... but Leonisis can be a cheap bastard sometimes. It's certainly worth trying to do. The worst that happens is he says no or the Wizards match. For a player with 0-6 years experience or less, the max is 25% of the cap. At a cap of 103 mil, that's just roughly 25 mil. We can easily accomodate that with Melo off the books. It seems like a lot for a 3rd or 4th option right now, but we will be able to go over the cap to resign our own guys when that time comes. The time to bring in new players for the future is actually right now. Get them in, get bird rights, and then just keep them here forever.
In Thibs we trust.

2018 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition CHAMPION
2015 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition CHAMPION
NYGM
Likes given: 470

Porter seems to have progressed a lot.. He needs a good PG though..

KCP? Not sure..
shakespeare
Likes given: 0

H20Knick wrote:I've been advocating a max for KCP for a couple weeks now...
Report: Pistons plan to match any Kentavious Caldwell-Pope offer sheet, even a max http://nba.nbcsports.com/2017/04/19/rep ... ven-a-max/
#TeamTank
shakespeare

A '$100 Million Man' in the Making: How Otto Porter Jr. Shot His Way to the Top http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2701 ... to-the-top
Porter, at this age and stage of his career where he's developed the initial plight of his NBA game, would be a solid addition to the Knicks.

It would be disheartening if Phil Jackson didn't at least offer him a contract to see if Washington will match.
#TeamTank
Koopa Troopa

Otto Porter would only sign to NY if the Knicks overpay for him. Is that what you want?

Culture needs to change before any relevant free agents sign to this garbage dump of a franchise. :arrow:
taowave
Likes given: 817

That's the collateral damage of Phil being Phil.No quality free agent will swim in this turd bowl unless they are massively overpaid.

Allow me to present Exhibit A

Joakim Noah
big_j_NY
Likes given: 1117

Koopa Troopa wrote:Otto Porter would only sign to NY if the Knicks overpay for him. Is that what you want?

Culture needs to change before any relevant free agents sign to this garbage dump of a franchise. :arrow:
Well he's a young guy, our curse has only been when we overpaid OLDER, WASHED-UP players.

I'm willing to overpay on someone young, who still has a chance to improve their game OR at least make themselves tradeable when they fail halfway into their contract..............instead of taking on the typical past-prime, washed-up, older lames that will make themselves untradable when they fail.

Not to mention Otto Porter has a pretty solid health history for a NBA player, so it's not like we're signing another injury-prone naunce like Rose.
gradyandrew

This guy was a lottery bust last season and now you want to offer him a max contract? C'mon! If the Knicks are really into the rebuild, they need to first clean up their cap space.
Randle in the Rafters
H20Knick

gradyandrew wrote:This guy was a lottery bust last season and now you want to offer him a max contract? C'mon! If the Knicks are really into the rebuild, they need to first clean up their cap space.
Nope. Getting young guys is what rebuilding is all about. We'll have plenty of cap space with the bulk of our roster being on rookie scale contracts. You don't want to be chasing guys in their prime during free agency. It doesn't end well. Harden wasn't a surefire mvp candidate when Houston paid more than okc would pay for their 3rd option. It seemed to have been the right choice. Porter will assuredly be a reliable 3 and D guy. With a pg in the draft and a decent cast of bugs, we're an elite sg away from being competitive in 3-4 years. At that point, Otto will have bonded with our nucleus and he'll be 27 years old entering his prime.

There's a chance the wizards let him out. Kelly Oubre is really coming along
In Thibs we trust.

noypi
Likes given: 24

I think I also posted somewhere that we need to offer KCP and/or Otto Porter the max/near max contracts. Glad that you guys see their value too. They're young and very good high-character 3&D guys.
“I’m still chasing a championship, I’m just chasing it here in New York,’’ Anthony said. “I’ve come to peace with that. I’m doing it in my own way on my own time.”

http://nypost.com/2015/10/27/greatest-c ... -with-nyc/
Rusty La Rue

I am glad that a lot of you guys also see the value in Porter... He is a player that helps the team even when he isn't hitting his shots. I know he will never score like Melo but when Melo isn't hitting his shots he is absolute garbage for the team. Look a the +/- from last nights Wizard game Porter was not shooting the ball well but I believe his +/- was the best on the team... so the team plays better when he is on the floor. These are the kind of players we need and i agree that KCP is also interesting, but I believe we need at new young SF as Melo probably will be gone, so I would prefer Otto over KCP and I am actually willing to give him the max to get him here. He is young still has ton of upside.

You cannot compare this to the Noah contract as he was old and injured. Like someone wrote you will always be able to find a trade for Porter if he doesn't live up to expectations.
"Everybody gets excited about youth except the coach, because he knows youth means mistakes, mistakes mean losses, losses means you're fired."
nbafreak724

H20Knick wrote:
Nope. Getting young guys is what rebuilding is all about. We'll have plenty of cap space with the bulk of our roster being on rookie scale contracts. You don't want to be chasing guys in their prime during free agency. It doesn't end well. Harden wasn't a surefire mvp candidate when Houston paid more than okc would pay for their 3rd option. It seemed to have been the right choice. Porter will assuredly be a reliable 3 and D guy. With a pg in the draft and a decent cast of bugs, we're an elite sg away from being competitive in 3-4 years. At that point, Otto will have bonded with our nucleus and he'll be 27 years old entering his prime.

There's a chance the wizards let him out. Kelly Oubre is really coming along
I like Otto so I think I am okay with this idea. He seems like he fits a perfect need for us in a post-Melo era. And this assumes we are able to draft one of the top PG prospects in the draft this year.

Otto's really made great improvements over the last few years, has become Otto-matic from deep. Any injury concerns?
"Come at the king, you best not miss."
Don Che
Likes given: 9

^^^ not that I know of

Would you guys want him or Justise Winslow or Jaylen Brown on their rookie scale salaries?

All 3 are young, able to work in a team concept and seem to be pretty good defenders.

Otto is better now...but in a year or 2 who would be a better investment?
H20Knick

Otto played 80 games this year and 75 last year, so he's pretty durable.

With Winslow and Brown, you'd have to get them via trade. Winslow doesn't have range on his shot, so i'll pass on him. Jaylen Brown has gobs of potential, he can shoot the 3 AND he may become an elite defender. I'd take him over Porter for sure. He should be gettable in the Melo trade and he's actually probably a smarter return than Jae Crowder who is 6 years older. Boston probably knows this though, and you'd have to be comfortable with him being the best asset delivered in the Melo trade. Not sure I like him more than a top 5 pick in the next two drafts.
In Thibs we trust.

Rusty La Rue

And doesn't Winslow already seem pretty injury prone? I would stay away from him...
H20Knick

Rusty La Rue wrote:And doesn't Winslow already seem pretty injury prone? I would stay away from him...
He also went to Duke... Thus he either is going to be talented and always injured or healthy and bench fodder.
In Thibs we trust.