2017-2018 Tank

Discuss New York Knicks news, current events, players, and history.

Moderators: wallace044, rtn393, Irv

thewatcher
Likes given: 2626

why waste time??
n8 the gr8 wrote:
The first rule of NYKFP is you don't talk about NYKFP.
H20Knick
Likes given: 3

I'm onboard. If Melo is gone, let's not even pretend. With probably the 7th or 8th pick we end up with DSJ or Monk.

Holiday and Baker are no lock to return. Holiday especially, as he could very well get scooped up as part of an agreement with the team that wins the Jrue sweepstakes. With that said, we can afford to overpay because theres a salary floor and we aren't going to attract real free agents, not should we want them during our tank-fueled rebuild. We're not really at a point to be worried about who our backup pg is going to be, so if baker walks, randle fills that void and we move on.

DSJ or Monk
Holiday
Thomas
Porzingis
Hernangomez

Baker/Randle
Lee
Kuzminskas
Ndour
O'Quinn/Plumlee

Basically, your vets, Lee and Thomas, are solid 2nd string players who are good character guys who will just be quiet as they collect their paychecks.
Holiday and Kuz are really not guys to really invest too much into. They'll both be 28 when next season starts, so they'll be past their prime 4-5 years from now when we're ready to contend. They'll buy in and play hard though and that's going to be important for the rook/KP/Willy
I think that lineup wins maybe 25-30 games. It takes PGs a couple of years to really "get it". This "no chance" team gives our pg room to grow without the typical new york pressure. So we come back in 2018 with another good pick. Ready to do this all over again.

Yes, I left out Joahkim Noah... but he'll stay injured for the most part.
In Thibs we trust.

2018 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition CHAMPION
2015 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition CHAMPION
n8 the gr8
Likes given: 159

I'm on board. KP should take a "personal season" to continue working out, whoever we draft should "rest" and Melo can do whatever he wants. We should be tanking from game 1.
"dam,we got a crier"
~tao

"Throw Payton out and get it over with. I'm getting hungry."
~Clyde
big_j_NY
Likes given: 1123

H20Knick wrote:I'm onboard. If Melo is gone, let's not even pretend. With probably the 7th or 8th pick we end up with DSJ or Monk.

Holiday and Baker are no lock to return. Holiday especially, as he could very well get scooped up as part of an agreement with the team that wins the Jrue sweepstakes. With that said, we can afford to overpay because theres a salary floor and we aren't going to attract real free agents, not should we want them during our tank-fueled rebuild. We're not really at a point to be worried about who our backup pg is going to be, so if baker walks, randle fills that void and we move on.
If we must overpay, can we at least make sure the person is younger than 26? I get we're in a rebuild situation where we should no longer expect top name free agents, but for the love of god.......keep the washed-up old people off the team UNLESS they're playing for dead cheap

There are some people in here that still insist we should overpay/trade for washed-up All-Stars during our rebuild (you know who you are)
lxn_
Likes given: 0

why waste time indeed. Just build a solid foundation for our core going forward, I wouldnt be disappointed if we resemble anything close to the sixers this season. Sign a player who can be a mentor, something like a KG/towns situation.
nazrmohamed
Likes given: 246

H20Knick wrote:I'm onboard. If Melo is gone, let's not even pretend. With probably the 7th or 8th pick we end up with DSJ or Monk.

DSJ or Monk
Holiday
Thomas
Porzingis
Hernangomez

Baker/Randle
Lee
Kuzminskas
Ndour
O'Quinn/Plumlee

Basically, your vets, Lee and Thomas, are solid 2nd string players who are good character guys who will just be quiet as they collect their paychecks.
Holiday and Kuz are really not guys to really invest too much into. They'll both be 28 when next season starts, so they'll be past their prime 4-5 years from now when we're ready to contend. They'll buy in and play hard though and that's going to be important for the rook/KP/Willy
I think that lineup wins maybe 25-30 games. It takes PGs a couple of years to really "get it". This "no chance" team gives our pg room to grow without the typical new york pressure. So we come back in 2018 with another good pick. Ready to do this all over again.

Yes, I left out Joahkim Noah... but he'll stay injured for the most part.
I actually like your roster and think that you don't even have to label it a tank roster. You could play games to win and still the talent and maturity level is such that they'll probably lose. But what I'm saying is they'll lose the way they have recently. Respectably for thier talent level.
nazrmohamed
Likes given: 246

With that said, If the player we draft ISNT a pgand you need a big contract to hit that salary floor Id throw that money on Jrue Holiday and tell him he could function as our Steve Nash and Mahe younger players better.
Don Che
Likes given: 9

Haha chill
n8 the gr8
Likes given: 159

big_j_NY wrote:If we must overpay, can we at least make sure the person is younger than 26? I get we're in a rebuild situation where we should no longer expect top name free agents, but for the love of god.......keep the washed-up old people off the team UNLESS they're playing for dead cheap

There are some people in here that still insist we should overpay/trade for washed-up All-Stars during our rebuild (you know who you are)
I'm fine with overpaying for old people, let's just make sure they're going to help the development of the young guys and not give them long contracts.
"dam,we got a crier"
~tao

"Throw Payton out and get it over with. I'm getting hungry."
~Clyde
noypi
Likes given: 24

You can't think about the tank next season. It would only give doubt in the minds of our young core KP and Willy the ability of the organization to really build a team properly. Get them to taste of the playoffs and hopefully win a series. It would good for their development to have a wining environment for a change. A year together they surely made strides in team chemistry. Trade Melo for a 2017 1st round pick and a rotation player/starter, a top 10 prospect and 25M in cap space hopefully a young guy like KCP/Porter and a 2-way rotation player who can mentor these kids.

Ntilikina/DSJ/Monk/Fox
KCP
Thomas
KP
Willy

KOQ
Lee
Holiday
Igoudala/Vince Carter/Tony Allen
Baker?
Randle?
2nd rd pick Sindarius Thornwell
2nd rd pick Isaiah Briscoe
Melo rotation player replacement
2017 mid-late 1st rounder from Melo trade (Caleb Swanigan/Bam Adebayo)

But we're the Knicks, it's always a long shot. Let's just tank till 2030.
“I’m still chasing a championship, I’m just chasing it here in New York,’’ Anthony said. “I’ve come to peace with that. I’m doing it in my own way on my own time.”

http://nypost.com/2015/10/27/greatest-c ... -with-nyc/
nbafreak724

n8 the gr8 wrote:I'm on board. KP should take a "personal season" to continue working out, whoever we draft should "rest" and Melo can do whatever he wants. We should be tanking from game 1.
Lol, I found this part funny. I can just imagine our season going on next year, in full tank mode. And while the Knicks are playing at the Garden, Melo is out shopping for new hats.
"Come at the king, you best not miss."
H20Knick
Likes given: 3

Is there a precedent for this? Could we really just go send KP to go train at 1000x gravity for 9 months?
In Thibs we trust.

2018 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition CHAMPION
2015 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition CHAMPION
cragganmor
Likes given: 93

sometimes one can have too much of a good thing...
big_j_NY

H20Knick wrote:Is there a precedent for this? Could we really just go send KP to go train at 1000x gravity for 9 months?
Someone needs to find Kami's lookout tower and send KP there for a day with the world's best strength trainers.......and he'll have a year's worth of training under his belt within that 24 hour span :LOL: :LOL:
thewatcher
Likes given: 2626

See you next lottery.
n8 the gr8 wrote:
The first rule of NYKFP is you don't talk about NYKFP.
rebound
Likes given: 1104

On board and it seems Steve Mills is too.

Just need to get rid of Melo and Lee.

Frank
Baker/Dotson/Randle
Lance/Kuz
KP/O'quinn
Tank commander, steroid abuser, free throw airballer Joakim Noah/Willy/Plumlee

and whatever garbage the knicks get back for melo and lee

should be refreshing to tank with youth instead of unintentionally doing so with washed up veterans.
TOM THIBODEAU'S NEW YORK KNICKS PRESENT:
HEROBALL. A STORY OF THE MID RANGE FADEAWAY JUMPER.
STARRING JALEN BUMSON AND DUBIOUS HANDLES.
Don Che
Likes given: 9

I'd sign a veteran PG to be a back up

Sign kj or troy....even Waiters I just don't like his shooting %

Noah won't play the first 20 games....start Will

Will
KP
Lance
Waiters
Frank

This team could tank but knowing how we either under achieve or overacheive...... we will end up being in the playoff hunt.

I don't believe in tanking but I do believe you put Ur young guys in and let them prove who they are....if they win...great. if they lose....great.

We have our picks now...

I think Melo and Washington will click.....get oubre or picks in the midst
big_j_NY

#EmbraceTheTank2018

Steve Mills is on-board........which is saying something considering he was a part of the organization for both Isiah and that 70-yr old geezer that we just booted out last week
lxn_

^^Great he is on board this early. I also think its gonna be much easier to secure a top 2-3 pick next year. the downside though is that next years draft is top heavy with not much depth past the 5-7 range. It also projects to be one of the weaker drafts in recent years.(unlike the 2019 draft).

Good thing going for us is that the Lakers, suns, magic, Minnesota,nuggets, even bkn to some point have already improved their roster and are likely to win a little more than last year. I believe if done correctly, with a little luck, we could be in for a quick rebuild. Select either bamba, ayton, doncic or porter and we good to go.
Championship 16/17

lxn_ wrote:^^Great he is on board this early. I also think its gonna be much easier to secure a top 2-3 pick next year. the downside though is that next years draft is top heavy with not much depth past the 5-7 range. It also projects to be one of the weaker drafts in recent years.(unlike the 2019 draft).

Good thing going for us is that the Lakers, suns, magic, Minnesota,nuggets, even bkn to some point have already improved their roster and are likely to win a little more than last year. I believe if done correctly, with a little luck, we could be in for a quick rebuild. Select either bamba, ayton, doncic or porter and we good to go.

Im calling it now, 1-5 in the 2018 Draft will all be from the Eastern conference b/c of the loopsidedness of talent on the West. The league will ensure this happens. I'm also calling that the Knicks will get the overall #1 draft pick next season.
This is the perfect season for knicks to play young and get a high draft pick.

Just my opinion