[Merged] 2017 Draft Discussion...

Discuss NCAA and international hoops and scout and evaluate players for the NBA Draft.

Moderators: wallace044, rtn393, Irv

thewatcher
Likes given: 2608

I'm only interested in a PG who is an elite defender. Just too long since we had that.
n8 the gr8 wrote:
The first rule of NYKFP is you don't talk about NYKFP.
Don Che
Likes given: 9

We could take Frank this year...who fits our style of play and what we lack as a team based on the multiple scouting reports/highlights and full games on youtube.

plus if you take a guy like Frank this year..you can still take Luke and it wouldnt effect how you play

Playmakers/defenders/shooters can play with anyone
KnicksFanInSouthFL
Likes given: 0

^^^
Never said he was a scrub. :?

I just don't think he's on the same level as some of the other PG's in the draft... He struggles against length, in fact he's a sub 40% shooter (mid 30%'s and lower) against the majority of good teams he faced this season. And it'll only get more difficult for him in the association.

Aside from Isaiah Thomas how many 6' an under PG's play meaningful minutes, let alone start?
Is Melo-God Zen-o-phobic?
Don Che

Evans' wont be the focus of the opposing defense as much as he is now.

I think his success will purely depend on the type of roster/situation he's drafted in.

Evans in his second year isnt far off from DJ Augustine/Lowry/Zeke at that time hes not better than them but from seeing all these guys in college...i can't say hes that much worse.

but..he doesnt fit our style of play anyway.
ISIAH_THOMAS
Likes given: 52

KnicksFanInSouthFL wrote:^^^
Never said he was a scrub. :?

I just don't think he's on the same level as some of the other PG's in the draft... He struggles against length, in fact he's a sub 40% shooter (mid 30%'s and lower) against the majority of good teams he faced this season. And it'll only get more difficult for him in the association.

Aside from Isaiah Thomas how many 6' an under PG's play meaningful minutes, let alone start?
site says he measure at 6'1 in shoes

same height as:

CP3
Conley
taller than Lowry
Kemba
Fxck Adam Silver
KnicksFanInSouthFL

^^^
In shoes, huh? You know of any sneakers that don't add at least an inch of height?

But back on topic... Aside from Lowry all the guys you mentioned were lottery picks. And even Lowry was selected in the first round. Had he been taller he probably would've been a lottery pick... Because he's always been considered strong for his size, and like Evans he was a good floor general whilst at Villanova. The difference is Lowry was able to carry his teams deep into the tournament securing the #1 seed during his sophomore season, and made it all the way to the Final Four before losing.

The same can be said for Conley who eventually lost in the championship game against Florida.

Kemba went on to win the championship and was the tournament's MVP.

And CP3, who played with the least amount of talent, not only got his teams into the tournament (4th seed as a freshman, 2nd seed as a sophomore) but also managed to win a few games once there...

Now I know it's a team game but all of these dudes were impact players at the college level who made their teams better. Evans, on the other hand, was winless in his lone appearance in the tournament despite putting up impressive empty statistics (high PER). But it probably doesn't mean anything.
Foyster

https://gothamsn.com/which-college-poin ... .1kqogrzec

Thought this was an interesting article on the point guard debate that I thought I'd share with you guys. Idk if you've read it already.
ISIAH_THOMAS

Last edited by ISIAH_THOMAS on March 21st, 2017, 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fxck Adam Silver
ISIAH_THOMAS

KnicksFanInSouthFL wrote:^^^
In shoes, huh? You know of any sneakers that don't add at least an inch of height?

But back on topic... Aside from Lowry all the guys you mentioned were lottery picks. And even Lowry was selected in the first round. Had he been taller he probably would've been a lottery pick... Because he's always been considered strong for his size, and like Evans he was a good floor general whilst at Villanova. The difference is Lowry was able to carry his teams deep into the tournament securing the #1 seed during his sophomore season, and made it all the way to the Final Four before losing.

The same can be said for Conley who eventually lost in the championship game against Florida.

Kemba went on to win the championship and was the tournament's MVP.

And CP3, who played with the least amount of talent, not only got his teams into the tournament (4th seed as a freshman, 2nd seed as a sophomore) but also managed to win a few games once there...

Now I know it's a team game but all of these dudes were impact players at the college level who made their teams better. Evans, on the other hand, was winless in his lone appearance in the tournament despite putting up impressive empty statistics (high PER). But it probably doesn't mean anything.
All those guys I listed was their height with shoes on.. Cp3 without shoes is like 5'11

you're contradicting yourself so does the tourney matter or not? before you said with Smith it doesn't matter if he didn't get there or make his team better. NBA GMS are already questioning him on this (does he make those around him better?) via David Aldridge. I guess we can say he had even more empty stats than Evans. Evans put OK State basketball back into relevance and he was the floor general for the most efficient offense in college basketball . Evans ran into a Mich state team that is playing great basketball and loss by 1. This mich team also had the 4th best offense in the country so they loss in a shootout against another high powered team. Without Evans they would win maybe 2 games all season. Can't have empty stats when your team is way worse without you on the court.

Evans isn't going to be a lottery pick, which makes it even better. He's going to be one of the biggest steals of the draft

http://www.pistolsfiringblog.com/jawun- ... e-country/
Last edited by ISIAH_THOMAS on March 21st, 2017, 1:30 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Fxck Adam Silver
ISIAH_THOMAS

MarcJSpearsESPN
Oklahoma State sophomore guard Jawun Evans is entering the 2017 NBA Draft will full intention of staying in, a source told @TheUndefeated.
Fxck Adam Silver
shakespeare

Knicks targeting Monk and Ntilikina per Ian Begley. https://www.google.com/amp/www.thescore ... 260426/amp
Both should be available if New York lands 6th or 7th pick in draft. I'm cool with either/or, both are intriguing prospects. If this article is true, then Phil Jackson values Monk over De'Aaron Fox.
Last edited by shakespeare on March 21st, 2017, 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#TeamTank
shakespeare

Good read on Malik Monk https://www.google.com/amp/www.postinga ... malik-monk
Some scouts think if Monk were 6’5” instead of 6’3” he’d be the top pick.
Probably so.
#TeamTank
nazrmohamed
Likes given: 246

Makes a huge difference. I simply cannot see Phil being enamored with a 6'3 shooting guard with long arms, however if you rebrand it I can totally see him being enamoured with that same player if he could show in the combine that he can run some semblense of a half court offense. And no big-j, I do believe that in that role he can be dynamic.

But Im not saying I know he can do it. Im anxious to find out.
KnicksFanInSouthFL

"But you said this, and you said that..." When/where did I say anything like that about Smith Jr? I don't know how you come up with some of your responses.

Although I will say it now... For dudes like Fultz and Smith Jr the tournament doesn't matter because they're talents are undeniable. Which is why they've led the draft discussion all season long and remain atop everyone's draft board despite not playing a single minute in the NCAA Tournament.

Whereas Evans still has to show and prove his worth because there's a level of uncertainty about his game. Like I said, he struggles against length and put up some horrific shooting performances, especially when matched up against some of the better teams/players he faced this season. I just don't see him as the next best small guard... But all this could just be evidence of my bias against vertically challenged playmakers.

On a different note...
ISIAH_THOMAS wrote:Can't have empty stats when your team is way worse without you on the court.
The majority of McDonald's All-American's have had similar impacts for their respective teams. Remove them from the lineup and their teams usually don't perform as well.

Random, the Knicks are 2 - 9 without Rose in the lineup. 8-)
thewatcher
Likes given: 2608

shakespeare wrote:[

Both should be available if New York lands 6th or 7th pick in draft. I'm cool with either/or, both are intriguing prospects. If this article is true, then Phil Jackson values Monk over De'Aaron Fox.
I don't believe this, if it's true, shame on Phil for showing his hand, I don't think Phil will want a volume shooter after this season. But I have to admit Monk looks very good in the highlights. But almost no beautiful passes, and that's a problem.
n8 the gr8 wrote:
The first rule of NYKFP is you don't talk about NYKFP.
nazrmohamed

lxn_ wrote:Saw an interesting discussion on realgmforums, if Luka Doncic was somehow eligible and enter this 2017 draft where do you think he will go? Would you draft him above players like Ntilikina,Fox or Monk? I've seen a lot of highlights and a single complete game of his and hes a very good facilitator. This guy can pass and shoot at an elite level. Hes 6'8-6'9 220 average defender, the only concern for me is his lateral quickness. He might get blown by a lot on the nba, but he has elite BBIQ in my opinion. The 2018 draft isnt stacked like this upcoming one, which bums me out because hes likely to go 2-3 in that weak draft and within our range in this deep draft.
Don't really know him. Do tell
lxn_

^^
if ur really curious theres gonna be an el classico matchup between real madrid and barcelona basketball today. I guess what caught my attention with him first started with this trend of euros being able to pass/facilitate really well. Jokic impressed me bigtime and now even Jusuf Nurkic is playing really well since the trade, its just fun to see someone facilitate and pass like that and Luka Doncic does that really well. He's good friends with Willy and KP(who both speaks spanish). I also believe has an nba ready body, legit 6'8 to 6'9 220+, which to me is a big deal because in offseasons he'll only need to work on his game unlike KP who needs to prioritize his body first.
PistolPete
Likes given: 5

Monk is an upgrade over Lee at SG at this point.
Damn it feels good to be a tankster.
Don Che

On offense yes...on defense not at all
nazrmohamed

Speaking of which, we don't really spend enough time talking about Dennis Smith Jr. I think alot of it has to do with the certainty that he'd be drafted before we pick but Im seeing some boards that have him all the way down at 6. Not saying that's how things play out but these mocks are nothing more than opinionated rankings. Team need factors in, and teams just don't value certain players the same way regardless. I think its very possible we see anybody in the top 4 end up in the top 8. And there's no reason to believe we can't continue to tank ourselves into a better position so Im hopeful. Wish we committed sooner seeing as everyone knew this season was over in early January. And I don't care about mathematics, it was visible in the culture and psych of this team. But now we wanna pull this shit and end up with some 7-10 slot. Smh

Anyway I like Dennis. Reminds me of Lillard. Great passer, great scorer and one of the few guys that literaly control the pace of the game. Guys are questioning whether KP "is the dude"? Well Smith looks like that dude but what's awesome about it is he would still probably make KP look more that "that dude" or at least a solid sidekick than any of the PGs we've employed this year. Guys get rythm shots playing with Smith but then he could take over a game scoring too. Fox started being aggressive and combined with superior defense has pretty much caught up to Smith. Smith is just not the defender Fox is, but what he is is a natural scorer/facilitator/leader and I'd be pretty happy to have him.