LAL missevaluation relinquish Clarkson to NYK

Post all your ideas for trade proposals and signings to improve the Knicks or other NBA teams.

Moderators: wallace044, rtn393, Irv

Championship 16/17
Likes given: 0

I'm trying to contemplate how the Lakers missevaluation is going to allow Jordan Clarkson (JC) to slip through the cracks and land as the "lead guard" for the New York Knicks. Some feel JC is at best a six man on a championship team. Some feel D'Angelo Russel is the PG and will be a star. With the focus of DeMar Derozen as the free agent shooting guard prize, is their room for Jordan Clarkson? I here to say that the Lakers will make a mistake at evaluating talent. First off, you get DeRozen at at all cost, no issues there. But is Russel better than Clarkson as the starting PG, assuming Luke Walton plays like Golden State. Where Curry isn't the main facilitator, something Simmons can do at PF.. Do you try to get/keep all 3, is Jordan worth the money when you have other glearing needs. I'm here to tell you no! Lakers would be wise to keep Clarkson and package D'Angelo Russel with the 2nd pick for the 1st pick in the draft, and get Ben Simmons. Yes, I said that, you could try Julius Randle and the 2nd round pick, but Sixers don't go for it. Russel isn't a better player than Clarkson, and Russel will not be a star . You pair Clarkson with DeRozen with Ben Simmons, instead of Russe/DeRozen/Ingram. Ben Simmons is comparable to Lebron James, I think Ingram is Tyashaun Price not Durant.

But Lakers won't do that.

The go after DeMar and get him. Toronto replaces him with their 9th pick

They go after Hassan Whiteside and get him b/ c Riley tries to get a discount, and Hassan wants Hollywood and big money that the Heat aren't willing to pay

Now Luke Walton comes into play, he tries to pry Harrison Barnes and Festus Ezeli with the left over cap room. Sells Harrison and Ezeli on a bigger roles, more playing time. No more money for Clarkson.

And they draft Ingram, who isnt ready for the NBA yet and will be Tayshaun Prince,

The Knicks need to max him out, hit them with the poison pill for the 3rd and 4th year and the Lakers will pass. If the Lakers realize he is a starter on there lavish team, he is going nowhere. As a six man, you have Luo Williams already. Phil better not fuck this up, the Lakers will!

WHAT HAPPENS!

Dangelo Russel
DeMar Derozen
Brandon Ingram
Harrison Barnes
Hassan Whiteside

WHAT SHOULD HAPPEN!

Jordan Clarkson
DeMar DeRozen
Harrison Barnes
Ben Simmons
Hassan Whiteside
dcapodic

I have seen a lot of people talk about getting Clarkson. However, he has been pretty straight forward about his desire to stay in LA and build something there. Seems like a good guy also :)

http://www.dailynews.com/sports/2016060 ... ree-agency
Both Clarkson and the Lakers view their partnership as long-lasting. At what cost, though, does Clarkson expect the Lakers to show after finishing last season second in points (15.5) and first in minutes played (32.5)?
“We had two tough years, but I don’t want to be a guy that is afraid and will run away from challenges,” Clarkson said. “I want to be a part of the situation when it turns around because I was here when it was down. I never want to leave.”

Rarely has Clarkson left the Lakers’ practice facility.
During his Nike trip to the Philippines, Clarkson accommodated underprivileged children by hosting a clinic and handing out basketball gear. The East West Bank sponsored 50 youths to attend Clarkson’s camp through Thursday, some of which attend the local Boys and Girls Club. Clarkson also has teamed with family members and close friends as camp instructors.

“It gives the kids energy and hope that I’m here,” Clarkson said. “I want to give them the feeling that I have confidence in them.”
- Me being the resident optimist around this cesspool of doom and gloom, StevoStarks, circa 2019
Championship 16/17

I was the originator of that talk; I didn't hear someone else say it; the world is now catching up to my vision dcapodic :)

All the Knicks need is Jordan Clarkson & Lance Stephenson this off season.

Jordan Clarkson has to say all of those things bc he is with the Lakers. But business is business, that can change very drastically where greed comes into play. Where would you rank Clarkson on this list of potential free agents

1. DeMar Clarkson
2. Hassan Whiteside
3. Harrison Barnes
4. Jordan Clarkson
5. Fetus Ezekiel

Exactly, Lakers priorities over Clarkson should allow us the creep inside and steal him away from the Lakers b/c we made.him our #1 priority. It's always feels good to be wanted.Also what will his role be after getting those players, he will come off the bench where he can be a starting PG for the New York Knicks. Easy decision for me to make; but someone has to plant that seed in JC
cragganmor
Likes given: 93

unlikely that demar leaves Toronto.
Championship 16/17

I think it's unlikely they give him a max contract; which will force DeMar to look at another team, and guess what the only team that's DeMar is willing to leave for? I also think Toronto's GM is good a keeping the team payroll down, that's part of his success as a GM. He has two players in DeMar and Bismak that he is gonna have to pay; can't get around that, unless DeMar takes less then ma which I don't foresee. Bismarck salary skyrocketed in the playoffs; DeMar was always a max player, but I think Toronto doesn't pay. Price to high, they will keep Bismack though. They have SG off the bench willing to start and they will draft DeMar replacement with the 9th pick
cragganmor
Likes given: 93

demar is happy in tor.
Championship 16/17

He is happy in Toronto, but Masai won't give him the max in my opinion
nazrmohamed
Likes given: 246

Championship 16/17 wrote:I was the originator of that talk; I didn't hear someone else say it; the world is now catching up to my vision dcapodic :)

All the Knicks need is Jordan Clarkson & Lance Stephenson this off season.

Jordan Clarkson has to say all of those things bc he is with the Lakers. But business is business, that can change very drastically where greed comes into play. Where would you rank Clarkson on this list of potential free agents

1. DeMar Clarkson
2. Hassan Whiteside
3. Harrison Barnes
4. Jordan Clarkson
5. Fetus Ezekiel

Exactly, Lakers priorities over Clarkson should allow us the creep inside and steal him away from the Lakers b/c we made.him our #1 priority. It's always feels good to be wanted.Also what will his role be after getting those players, he will come off the bench where he can be a starting PG for the New York Knicks. Easy decision for me to make; but someone has to plant that seed in JC
Id have to rank him third assuming Barnes doesn't ask for the max. Hassan Whiteside is number one, regardless of price. Id pay him a max to know that I got my frontcourt settled for about a decade Bettendorf he and KP. And I get we got Lopez, need guards and all. I just think the opportunity to dominate frontcourts for years to come is so great that you forget team needs for a deal like this and recalibrate afterward. You might even max Whiteside and then get a decent guard in FA. I think Whitesides max is low 20's. And you could always still trade Lopez and grab a guard.

But i like Clarkson and find him a more realistic goal. Hed be second on my list given his Tashkent and b relatively reasonable price. Just saying Whiteside is first on my list of meetings.
Championship 16/17

Hassan shouldn't be the # 1 priority

Hassan White doesn't have the fundamentals of a great player; he is more like a Dwight Howard. Loves blocking shots, getting dunks, and rebounds for his stats. I think he came off the bench, that's an indicator that the kid lacks a certain focus as a starter. The Heats defense was actually better with him off the court instead of on. The kid is going to get the max, but I think we have more important positions to fill first. Phil Jackson's focus was accumulating big men last season and forgot about the backcourt. I don't think he makes that mistake again, and the chemistry Rpbin and KP has doesn't raise any questions of upgrading the Center position.

The #1 priority should be a PG, and that PG is Jordan Clarkson in my opinion

Also if I think Hassan is an upgrade, I convince Miami for sign and trade for Lopez. I wouldn't sign Hassan then gamble on trading Lopez for a high caliber guard. I don't think the league is high on Lopez like the Knicks are. Only way to get a high caliber PG is in free agency, nobody is trading there stud guard in my opinion.
nazrmohamed
Likes given: 246

He is alot like Dwight, the young athletic Dwight. Probably even less smiled than Dwight is now as a veteran player but more like the in your face athletic Dwight. And while Im sure you meant that as a slight, truth is that's the prototype C these days. Set a screen, roll to the basket on offense, catch the lob. On defense, rebound and get blocks. I got no problem admitting it.

I like Lopez but as you said, our focus shouldn't be on setting the nba on fire with a clinic on slow and plodding post up players. We need to speed it up. In either case you're right, we need a pg but Im leaving that door open with a possible future trade of Lopez once Whiteside signs. Or maybe your idea would work with the sign and trade.

Then remember, Hassans max is like 22 mil and we could end up with 30 to spend. Clarkson is eligible for that Gilbert Arenas rule of only 5.6mil and a poison pill later. So my point is we could both get our wish.
Don Che
Likes given: 9

Rolo is the man...didn't like the signing but like it now.

As for clarkson. ...Fournier is better and a realistic possibility

But maybe la goes all in for derozan and we attack JC off the bat...I'd welcome both guards
Championship 16/17

Fournier is not better than Clarkson

Would I welcome both, maybe. Evan Fournier doesnt have it in my opinion, in 3 years he will not crack a top 5 SG, and he doesn't play defense. Looks like Marco Bellini in my opinion

Jordan Clarkson has it in my opinion, the kid plays defense and will be a top 5 PG in 3 years.

I would prefer Lance Stephenson over Evan Fournier, I want toughness, I want defense, I want swag. I want great passing for the 2 guard position in Phil Jackson triangle offense.

Evan Fournier is not a game changer, good player, but not a game changer. Doesn't impact the game in my opinion
Boston_PuppyDawg

The Knicks are planning to make a run at signing Lakers restricted free agent Jordan Clarkson.
Calderon: "It’s no fun when you try to win for the Knicks and people want you out of the Knicks.” (2/18/16)
PinoyKnicksFan

I love Clarkson and definitely rooting for him because he's part-Filipino. Him going to the Knicks gives us instant offense off the bench or as a starter BUT his defense has been sub-par. In a guards' league, it won't be good for any team to have him in the last 2 minutes of a close game if he can't play defense. Well, if we're going to get a defensive big, or he works on his defense, it will definitely be a good pick-up for us. I don't think he's leaving LA though, they have a good core there with Russell and Randle. And Luke Walton will need his outside shooting.