Second-tier FA 2016 plan

Post all your ideas for trade proposals and signings to improve the Knicks or other NBA teams.

Moderators: wallace044, rtn393, Irv

Gheppetto
Likes given: 1892

It's hard to decide what free agents we might go after without knowing for sure who will even be on our team next year.

We will certainly have Melo and Kristaps -- and Lopez unless we trade him.
Afflalo and D.Will will almost certainly exercise their player options.
Calderon probably will be back to hopefully a bench role. (and lets face it his shooting numbers are BETTER than almost any 2nd Free Agent out there. Much Better: Batum, Turner, Lance (?!?! Hell no!?!?!). Close to: Beal, Fournier, Bazemore, Clarkson.

My first choice would be to get a star and I think DeMar is the only one to be got --- Drummond isn't leaving, Barnes turned down 4years for 64M (IMO he aint worth 20M per), Howard hell no, LBJ/KD wake up you dreaming. DeMar or bust would be my plan.

1. Jose
2. DeMar
3. Melo
4. Paps
5. RoLo

Not awesome but hope.

But since this thread is about 2nd tier free agents ... I would focus on the Guards.... and in this order:

1. Beal, Clarkson, Batum --- Have to get one of these guys.
2. Turner, Bazemore, Fournier -- Be nice to get one of these guys

----------------
2016-2017 Knicks

1. Clarkson
2. Beal
3. Melo
4. Paps
5. RoLo

Bench: Afflalo, D.Will, Jose, Galloway, Grant
Needs: Big and Tall guys
2022 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion (tied)
Mr3037
Likes given: 0

Hmmmm would I be able to handle watching Jose for another year IF it meant signing DeRozan.........yeah I guess.

Would much rather we waive him or something and sign a rental PG for the next season or 2 until we get more cap room.

Although now looking at it, I am not so sure which team is actually better....

Jose, DeMar, Melo, KP, RoLo VS Clarkson, Beal, Melo, KP. RoLo
- I just dont know how you fit Beal & Clarkson in with the $ we have
NYK Fan since 92
NYKFP Fan since 04

28 years & counting...Bleeding Orange & Blue
H20Knick
Likes given: 3

Did I miss when Demar Derozan became the messiah? Is he really that good? Is he really that much better than Beal? Granted, beal is more fragile than I'd like, but he's also 22 years old.
In Thibs we trust.

2018 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition CHAMPION
2015 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition CHAMPION
Mr3037

Just read an article re the cap and NBA teams working with / expecting the number to be 92 million.

Given if we bring back Gallo, Early & Afflalo/Williams pick their options up we have approx 22 mil in space with 10 players contracted.
This is of course if nothing happens between now and the deadline.
NYK Fan since 92
NYKFP Fan since 04

28 years & counting...Bleeding Orange & Blue
big_j_NY
Likes given: 1127

Mr3037 wrote:Just read an article re the cap and NBA teams working with / expecting the number to be 92 million.

Given if we bring back Gallo, Early & Afflalo/Williams pick their options up we have approx 22 mil in space with 10 players contracted.
This is of course if nothing happens between now and the deadline.
Yeah but people wanting the max by the time the cap goes up will be targeting $30M per year for the max......so $22M will just net us more role players that will now be severely overpaid.

You do realize there is an inflation effect involved when the cap goes up, so does contract money demands
nazrmohamed
Likes given: 251

^^^^^ my argument last year for Monroe and other max or near max players last summer. And no, Im not gonna harp on Monroe but rather what he represented. From a long term perspective, next summer we'll possibly pay more for a mid to upper level role player than we wouldve for a max last year. Even if that's an exaggeration it shouldn't even be close. Therell be Lopez level talents making 18 mil next summer. I called it the price of gold last year. On Monday if the price is $3 per ounce and Silver was $1 let's say, and I told you on Tuesday Gold would be 5 and Silver 3.........well guess what? If you want gold you buy it on Monday. Instead we bought the silver on Monday and on Tuesday when we look for gold we won't be able to afford it and instead will settle for more Silver at the same price Gold was yesterday.

I guess you can be proud that you got cheap silver but your intention was to get Gold and we didn't get it.

And people's arguments was all about building a total team and how throwing stars together doesn't work. Well guess what? Now we built our holistic team that's deep and is just not good enough. We built deep but not top heavy. Well Ill always feel that if im not gonna be complete Id rather be incomplete with stars and then fill in with role players over the next couple years than build a team around role players hoping that you are a star away. And it's psychological too for FAs. The Knicks just built what they thought was a complete team and still suck, now they need me to save the day? Im going where I can help but it isn't a doomsday scenario if I don't.

A good gauge of how attractive we are is how attractive our assets are at the trade deadline. We have noone with value.
Championship 16/17

Look at Jordan Clarkson as a rookie, he is competing with Stephen Curry; even getting under his skin

This is our PG for next season, you steal him away with a $15 million a year contract for 3-4 years bc of his potential. I know what I'm getting from Rondo, you don't know what you will get with Clarkson.

The knicks will not get any all-star, Carmelo and the improvement of Porzingis is our all-star.
big_j_NY
Likes given: 1127

I'd like Clarkson as SG personally, especially in the Triangle Offense.

I'm not against going after Clarkson
Don Che
Likes given: 9

Agreed...Clarkson is a good option...my only concern is his ability to create shots for others..he averages like 3 assists on a good year.

Hence if we do get him...we'd still need another guard that can create shots for others with him.
Championship 16/17

That guard your referring to is Lance Stephenson, he needs to be unleashed. Essentially had the ball in Indiana, and played with a PG who wasn't a natural distributor, George Hill.

So Jordan Clarkson = George Hill, but to me his confidence and potential is higher.We need to insert some new flavor in the back court, people who don't back down and take pride in defense.

If we get Jordan Clarkson and Lance starting, with Galloway and Affalo backing them up, we can consistently compete with the dynamic backcourts of the NBA, but you need all 4 players on the Knicks roster. You can't trade Gallo or Affalo or this won't work. I also see Affalo playing that Livingston role with Golden State, with those post up moves that are automatic. With Melo playing like this season, with his assist going up, and the improvement of Prozingis and Lopez, this is a championship team, I truly believe that. You also have to remove the kid from Duke from the rotation and only insert Derrick Williams at Melo position, and Quinn should be the first big off the bench, playing a 3 big man rotation. With the remaining money, you resign Seraphin and use as a 4th big sparingly, or you go out a sign another big.

LASTLY, you need to get coach Thibs who will elevate everyone's game on defense. And Phil needs to teach him the triangle to run. Bell even the players can teach him; all current starters are very smart.