6 spots remaining???

Post all your ideas for trade proposals and signings to improve the Knicks or other NBA teams.

Moderators: wallace044, rtn393, Irv

KnicksFanInSouthFL
Likes given: 0

It seems like every thread ends up turning into a "this is what my lineup would look like, thread", so I decided to make an official one...

We currently have 9 players under contract for the 2013-2014 season. 2 free agents with the possibility of re-signing back with us. And 1 non-guaranteed rookie deal, in CJ Leslie. That leaves us with 6 vacant roster spots. Which free agents would you bring in to fill 'em?

This isn't necessarily a depth chart, it just lists our contracted players by position...

PG - Felton / Prigioni
SG - Shumpert / JR Smith / Hardaway Jr
SF - Melo
PF - Stoudemire / Bargnani
C - Chandler

Free Agent signees

PG - Josh Selby
SG -
SF - Matt Barnes / CJ Leslie
PF - K-Mart / Elton Brand
C - Henry Sims

With Bargnani here Copeland's expendable. I went with my gut choosing Selby over Will Bynum and Devin Harris, because I believe he's hungrier at the moment, and humbled. And I chose Henry Sims because he's the best passing big man that nobody knows about...

I'll mention Jared Jeffries just in case CJ Leslie doesn't earn his spot. 8-)
Last edited by KnicksFanInSouthFL on July 8th, 2013, 3:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Is Melo-God Zen-o-phobic?
n8 the gr8
Likes given: 167

Prigs (min, 2nd year player option)
JR (5.5 mil/yr 2 years or whatever the amount is we can offer him)
KMart (min 1 yr)
Brand (min 1yr)
Blair (min 2 yr, 2nd year team option)
Robinson (mini mle 2 year, I'd actually prefer Tony Allen but I don't think he's in the mini mle price range)
Jefferies (min)
And the best player from summer league/preseason, preferably a younger player
I'd like to keep Cope to for the min, but it seems like a long shot at this point

No long contracts please, especially to old guys. The Knicks have burned themselves giving old guys long contracts and giving young guys 1 yr deals. There's really no harm in putting a 2nd year team option on a deal, but the biggest problem with one year deals is if the player turns into a stud the Knicks never have a chance to use bird rights (Cope and Lin), I'm so sick of it.

Realistically the Knicks really only need 2/3 of Brand, Blair and Kmart but depth never hurt anyone; Kmart and Brand are pretty old too. Tyson would still be the only true center in the rotation but I think with those types of physical guys the Knicks would be ok playing 2 guys that are really power-forwards at a time, they're not going to get pushed around under the basket and all three rebound well. If Amare contributes anything it'll be a bonus.

Felton/Nate(or Allen)/Prigs
Shump/Jr/Hardaway
Melo/Jefferies
Bargani/Kmart/Blair
Tyson/Brand

The Knicks could go to war with this lineup. This team would have as good a shot to win the east as any team besides Miami. There are plenty of guys that can play a tough grind-it out series without being bothered by physical play. Plus this team could match up well with small-ball teams. Overall this team is a good bit younger than last year's version, more athletic and a good bit scrappier.
"dam,we got a crier"
~tao

"Throw Payton out and get it over with. I'm getting hungry."
~Clyde
SALfromNY

PG
Raymond Felton
Pablo Prigioni
*Delonte West* Vet Min

SG
Iman Shumpert
JR Smith
Tim Hardaway Jr

SF
Carmelo Anthony
*Matt Barnes* Vet Min 2 yr/player option
*CJ Leslie* Min

PF
Amare Stoudemire
Andrea Bargnani
*Elton Brand* Vet Min 2 yr/player option

C
Tyson Chandler
*Chris Kaman* remaining MLE 1.75 Mil
Nononsense

n8 the gr8 wrote:Prigs (min, 2nd year player option)
JR (5.5 mil/yr 2 years or whatever the amount is we can offer him)
KMart (min 1 yr)
Brand (min 1yr)
Blair (min 2 yr, 2nd year team option)
Robinson (mini mle 2 year, I'd actually prefer Tony Allen but I don't think he's in the mini mle price range)
Jefferies (min)
And the best player from summer league/preseason, preferably a younger player
I'd like to keep Cope to for the min, but it seems like a long shot at this point

No long contracts please, especially to old guys. The Knicks have burned themselves giving old guys long contracts and giving young guys 1 yr deals. There's really no harm in putting a 2nd year team option on a deal, but the biggest problem with one year deals is if the player turns into a stud the Knicks never have a chance to use bird rights (Cope and Lin), I'm so sick of it.

Realistically the Knicks really only need 2/3 of Brand, Blair and Kmart but depth never hurt anyone; Kmart and Brand are pretty old too. Tyson would still be the only true center in the rotation but I think with those types of physical guys the Knicks would be ok playing 2 guys that are really power-forwards at a time, they're not going to get pushed around under the basket and all three rebound well. If Amare contributes anything it'll be a bonus.

Felton/Nate(or Allen)/Prigs
Shump/Jr/Hardaway
Melo/Jefferies
Bargani/Kmart/Blair
Tyson/Brand

The Knicks could go to war with this lineup. This team would have as good a shot to win the east as any team besides Miami. There are plenty of guys that can play a tough grind-it out series without being bothered by physical play. Plus this team could match up well with small-ball teams. Overall this team is a good bit younger than last year's version, more athletic and a good bit scrappier.
There's no way Blair would come here to be a third string pf, especially when you consider Amare is not even in your lineup. That would make Blair a 4th string pf and a 6th string big man when you include Tyson and Brand. LOL, ain't happening bud.
Nononsense

SALfromNY wrote:PG
Raymond Felton
Pablo Prigioni
*Delonte West* Vet Min

SG
Iman Shumpert
JR Smith
Tim Hardaway Jr

SF
Carmelo Anthony
*Matt Barnes* Vet Min 2 yr/player option
*CJ Leslie* Min

PF
Amare Stoudemire
Andrea Bargnani
*Elton Brand* Vet Min 2 yr/player option

C
Tyson Chandler
*Chris Kaman* remaining MLE 1.75 Mil
Barnes agreed to a return with the Clippers today. And no way Brand signs with us to be a third string pf.
Nononsense

With Garcia out of the picture now, the most likely lineup at this point:

PG - Felton / Prigioni / Telfair
SG - Shump / JR / Hardaway Jr.
SF - Melo / Purple / Leslie
PF - Amare / Bargnani / Jeffries
C - Tyson / Brand / Earl Baron

I'm not necessarily advocating Telfair, Jeffries, and Earl Baron, but this is the most likely roster at this very moment. I guess I'd be content with this group though. At the end of the day, we will have retained JR and Prigioni and acquired Brand and Bargnani without giving up a rotation player. Anything that Hardaway Jr., Leslie, Barron, etc. gives us will be icing on the cake.
cragganmor
Likes given: 93

we have 10 under contract. i'd guess that glen will go with 15 just like last year, get as much depth as possible, so we will need to fill 5 spots. brand and a 3rd string pg are the current priorities. after that, i think we'll see an offer to kmart, shawne and jj.
KnicksFanInSouthFL

Corey Brewer (is he affordable?) or Tyrus Thomas replace Matt Barnes on my list.

PG - Josh Selby
SG - we already have enough, especially if we were to add Selby to the roster.
SF - Corey Brewer / CJ Leslie
PF - K-Mart / Brand
C - Sims (best available passing big man)

Chris Anderson - if we're able to steal him away from the Heat we should...
Tyrus Thomas - as y'all would say he's K-Mart-lite... he just may end up being the 2013-14 version of Andray Blatche, if placed on a winning team. Low risk, high reward.

Thinking DEFENSIVELY... Imagine if CJ Leslie develops an NBA body/skillset, and earns a roster spot. We re-sign K-Mart. And then sign Corey Brewer and Tyrus Thomas (because we ran outta time preparing a deal for Brand). Now add in Shumpert, Chandler and even Prigioni, and Woody would have more than enough players to make his defensive philosophy work. We'd be menacing. Sure, we'd be lacking a bruiser out there but open shots would be hard to come by with all those active defenders.

And I won't even mention Jared Jeffries... 8-)

Of course Melo and JR would have to average 50 points/game, but still...
Is Melo-God Zen-o-phobic?