Stephen Curry

Discuss NCAA and international hoops and scout and evaluate players for the NBA Draft.

Moderators: wallace044, rtn393, Irv

Mr. Glass
Likes given: 62

Will he be available at 8 for us? Man, he could be the guy! Just declared yesterday!
"I used to think drinking was bad for me, so I stopped thinking."

- Unknown
nbafreak724
Likes given: 0

Personally, I dont think Curry will amount to anything in the pros. He can shoot but he's too small to be a true 2guard and doesnt really have the handle to run the point. I think he'll be a bench player for most of his career and I dont think he's the answer for this team.

Plus we all know what happened the last time we acquired a player with the same last name...
"Come at the king, you best not miss."
Mr. Glass

nbafreak724 wrote:Personally, I dont think Curry will amount to anything in the pros. He can shoot but he's too small to be a true 2guard and doesnt really have the handle to run the point. I think he'll be a bench player for most of his career and I dont think he's the answer for this team.

Plus we all know what happened the last time we acquired a player with the same last name...
Hehehe. I don't know if I agree. I think he could fit well into Coach D's offense. Something like Rondo with a better jumper.

- Unknown
unchained

I don't know if his size and athleticism is will be good enough to be a long time NBA starter, but Steph Curry will have a 12 to 15 year NBA career you can bet on it. Remember Steve Kerr? Jeff Hornececk? If you can shoot the lights out, a team will keep you on the bench just that few times a year they need a three at the end of the game. SHooters like Curry are very rare.
Neon Budoe can't do it without Kobe and Wade, how's that taste?
cant say

Forget Hornacek or Kerr — his old man was the epitome of spot up-end of the game shooter, and honestly, Houston was pretty much the same until he got to NY. When Houston was entrusted with the team and the scoring load he was then able to work on creating shots and became a very skilled scorer. I think its a skill that Curry seems to already have in a sense and can become a decent scorer. He may be available at 8 and would be very happy with that, think about all the outside shots we took this year and how no one was capable of consistently hitting them. Now imagine Curry taking them. MONEY.
Dbloc123

Curry and Gallo we got shooters. and i still think we can get camby or jordan from the clippers if they get griffin.

curry/du
wilson/larry
gallo/q
lee/
Camby/curry
big_j_NY
Likes given: 1123

Stephen Curry is a great talent and he'll translate into a quality player in the NBA. He's basically what JJ Reddick should have been after being drafted. Curry has something that Reddick doesn't, the ability to create his own shot. With that being said, I wouldn't mind drafting him but we should be focusing on drafting our future starting PG instead of another combo guard to experiment with.

And can everyone quit knocking down Ty Lawson seriously? Everytime we mention a potential prospect to become the PG of the future of the Knicks, it's always fucking Maynor and Flynn..........and no mention of Ty Lawson. No disrespect to those 2 guys, but what exactly does Eric Maynor and Johnny Flynn have over a NCAA champion PG in Ty Lawson?
H20Knick
Likes given: 3

Nobody knew who Stephen Curry was before the tournament last year. Everyone had forgotten about him once Davidson started sucking again this year. He plays against scrubs all season and had MULTIPLE games with 5+ turnovers and even MORE games when he had more turnovers than assists.

Meanwhile, Ty Lawson is throwing up 4:1 or 5:1 assist to turnover ratios against the best teams in the country. Finishes in traffic better than ANY point guard in the country. He hits from downtown at better than 40% (what was that about him not being able to shoot?).

And MOST importantly, he's already used to being the distributor of a good team. He's already used to not being "the go to guy" but understands when he needs to put his head down and go to work. It gives him a huge advantage. He doesn't take contested shots, ever. He always runs the offense and doesn't randomly pull up, unless its for penetration against a defense that hasn't recovered in transition. He is ridiculously fast, and he has ego without being blatantly arrogant.

And no, i'm not just being a homer because I go to UNC. I couldn't stand Ty Lawson the past 2 years. I thought he was grossly overrated. But his play and big_j's constant endorsements have really opened my eyes on the guy. If Rubio and Griffin are gone, Lawson should be the guy.
In Thibs we trust.

2018 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition CHAMPION
2015 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition CHAMPION
big_j_NY

H20Knick wrote:Nobody knew who Stephen Curry was before the tournament last year. Everyone had forgotten about him once Davidson started sucking again this year. He plays against scrubs all season and had MULTIPLE games with 5+ turnovers and even MORE games when he had more turnovers than assists.

Meanwhile, Ty Lawson is throwing up 4:1 or 5:1 assist to turnover ratios against the best teams in the country. Finishes in traffic better than ANY point guard in the country. He hits from downtown at better than 40% (what was that about him not being able to shoot?).

And MOST importantly, he's already used to being the distributor of a good team. He's already used to not being "the go to guy" but understands when he needs to put his head down and go to work. It gives him a huge advantage. He doesn't take contested shots, ever. He always runs the offense and doesn't randomly pull up, unless its for penetration against a defense that hasn't recovered in transition. He is ridiculously fast, and he has ego without being blatantly arrogant.

And no, i'm not just being a homer because I go to UNC. I couldn't stand Ty Lawson the past 2 years. I thought he was grossly overrated. But his play and big_j's constant endorsements have really opened my eyes on the guy. If Rubio and Griffin are gone, Lawson should be the guy.
I still don't understand the Johnny Flynn and Eric Maynor endorsements tho, especially over Ty Lawson
cant say

I would prefer Lawson over Curry, Flynn & Maynor. Unless we get lucky get a top 3 we will not get the opportunity to draft Lawson.
H20Knick
Likes given: 3

I haven't seen a single mock draft with lawson going before 8. He'll be on the board
In Thibs we trust.

2018 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition CHAMPION
2015 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition CHAMPION
rynyk222

word is he may grow 2 more inches....

dont think he is explosive enough to hang w/ a CP3....but he can be a more athletic- better handled sam cassell?

what do u guys think of that assessment?

who does he remind you of?

personally -

we need to draft a PG if we dont draft Thabeet ( reminds me of a combo of parker/nash/jason williams - sacramento days)

1 Rubio- better fit in Dantoni system

2-Jennings - could be best player in the PG position- reminds me of young starbury or even CP3

3-Lawson- more athletic and better fit for NBA PG

4- Curry- not sold on PG skills - still good player-combo guard - a la nate- but more of a shooter than slasher
"I'm cool with whatever. I'll just keep eating my bread, sipping my soup and serving my time. But the chicken is going to lay some more eggs one day." - Oakley as a veteran, on being benched in favor of teenagers.

"He's a lawyer, not a GM. You can't spend $250 million on contracts and not make the playoffs. Vince Carter's mom runs that team. She's the GM." - Oakley on Toronto GM Glen Grunwald.
thewatcher
Likes given: 2626

Curry reminds me of Reggie miller.
n8 the gr8 wrote:
The first rule of NYKFP is you don't talk about NYKFP.
big_j_NY

cant say wrote:I would prefer Lawson over Curry, Flynn & Maynor. Unless we get lucky get a top 3 we will not get the opportunity to draft Lawson.
Lawson will still be there at around pick 7 or 8, most mock drafts have a few forwards, combo-guards (Curry), and athletic swingman projected to be drafted b4 pick 7 or 8. We're in great position
Mr. Glass

I would love to torch teams from the outside with Gallo and Curry! Lee hangs around to crash the boards...all we need is a offensive minded big who plays D, and a penetrator.

We push hard to get Howard in 2009 and Wade in 2010. Lebron can kiss my grits!

- Unknown
nazrmohamed
Likes given: 246

People doubt Curry because he's a scorer at the college level who wont be able to get as many shots off at the nba level therefore its all for nothing. First of all yes he will. He's probably the most crafty of scorers you'll ever see and yet he still does so with entire teams game plans based off stopping him. Add in the fact that when our systsem is actually running corectly it utilizes so many screens the he'll have space to get his shot off anytime he wants and thats not including the hands-free perimeter policy the nba has. So he'll be able to score. Then assuming that only covers whether he can shoot and not his pg skills people gotta remember this isnt a one trick pony. Sure he was a sg most of his career but he was also the best player there. He was goinna shoot nomatter where he played. I think when you look at Curry and evaluate him you gotta remember that he averaged almost 6 assists this yr while playing PG. Now I know that doesnt mean much to most people but assists are hard to get in general at the college level because its not like you're passing to kobe bryant, you're passing to guys who are kids with no consistent anything let alone a jumpshot. Then drop that down to a midmajor and his assist become even more impressive. So the guy can pass too. So if he can still shoot and he's shown he can pass really he can be a pg.

Ultimately I think there are two roles he'll fill. He'll either be a combo guard in the mold of a Ben Gordon. I think he'd be great in Nates role. Assuming we traded Nate or just chose to not resign him who wouldnt think that Curry couldnt make a great replacement who's possibly better but on a rookie scale. We may have to decide whether or not to find replacements for the guys we cant afford to resign thru the draft. Yeah its the 8th pick but get over it, cause this draft is that bad.
The other role is actually a team seeing him as a pg. I agree he isnt the purest but he could fill a Mike Bibby type of role where he basically brings the ball up but throws entry passes into the post, then goes off like a SG around screens until it gets back to him for the open shot. I actually think he could be better than Bibby if he works on his pg skills. If not he's still a great 6th man type of player. The more and more I keep following this draft the more I consider him a good prospect d/t the lack of talent out there. He's actually one of the most nba ready players in this draft. My thing is there may be guys who today we know cant play but in 3 yrs might be way better. Its a gamble but to me Derozen just has the potential and size I like in a SG and might end up worth the wait.
rebound
Likes given: 1104

curry is good IMO.
Let's see how tall he is when the predraft measurements are released.
He reminds me of Allan Houston skillset wise but he doesn't have the size of Allan.
he's definitely better than duhon.

i'll reserve judgment on these players until after the lottery.
TOM THIBODEAU'S NEW YORK KNICKS PRESENT:
HEROBALL. A STORY OF THE MID RANGE FADEAWAY JUMPER.
STARRING JALEN BUMSON AND DUBIOUS HANDLES.
knicksfan4life

thewatcher wrote:Curry reminds me of Reggie miller.
I'm with you, and Donnie drafted that dude correct?

The Sam Cassell comparison was also pretty good.

I still think Lawson's the must-get but I'd be happy if they got Curry as well.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
cragganmor
Likes given: 93

D'Antoni's system needs shooters that are smart and can pass. We can debate which PG is better, but only 1 looks like a perfect fit, Rubio.

I'd try and move up or trade to get Rubio, but if that doesn't work out, then I'd go with Curry.
BenNY89
Likes given: 76

This kid is definitely the best perimeter shooter out of the draft. He would excel in D'Antoni's system and the fact that he can play PG helps too. To me I see him as a Ben Gordon player given that he gets stronger. Do I see him as a starter? Right now...the answer would be NO. His defensive ability is a BIG question mark so I see him producing off the bench for now.
" We are the New York Knicks! "
- Walt Clyde Frazier