Final Tape | Game 1: Knicks vs. Celtics (W 85-78)

Stay up to date on changes and announcements to NYKFP.

Moderator: Irv

Naan
Likes given: 0

Before Freak and I bring you the first Final Tape collaboration, we would like to pause the Final Tape for a moment to salute the city of Boston for its heroic efforts and resilience in the wake of the recent tragic events.

[youtube]R8bV_0UaVK4[/youtube]

Resume play.

Finally, the day had come. After a wild 82 games of preparation, the New York Knicks would embark on their post-season quest for NBA supremacy. Currently playing on the Knickstape: Boston Celtics, volume 1. As the players and fans both know, this track is not skippable. You must remain alert for 48 minutes, endure the Piercing Bass and tune out the aggrevating ad-libs. I recommend eating your Wheaties (or Honey Nut Cheerios, if you prefer) for best results.

- Former Nets come up big

Jason Kidd and Kenyon Martin were the players of the game today, coming up with huge plays down the stretch in the second half. Martin played the majority of the big man minutes late in the game. Woodson made the right call here: Chandler, in his first game back from injury, was looking a little lost while Martin was playing well and Woody decided to keep K-Mart in the game which ended up being a great decision. K-Mart had some huge hustle plays in this one, grabbing key rebounds, tipping the ball out, and blocking shots. He also played excellent defense, shutting down KG for the most part in the second half. I'm looking forward to seeing a Martin-Chandler frontcourt for an extended period of time.

What more can you say about Jason Kidd? At 40 years old, he's still got it. Timely threes. Key steals. And overall, just making the right basketball decisions. Seems like we've been saying this about him this entire season, and pretty much for his whole career. But today was special, in a game where we played like shit in the first half and things looked like they were going Boston's way, J-Kidd helped steady the ship and steered us to victory.
Ten years ago, we hated these two guys with a passion. A decade later, and they're the main reason why the Knicks are up 1-0 in this series.

- Defense in the second half

The Celtics scored 53 points in the first half. They had 25 the rest of the way, including only 8 in the fourth quarter. The Knicks defense simply SHUT THEM DOWN. Suddenly, all 5 Knicks on the floor were locked in on defense, hustling for loose balls, and interfering the Celtic passing lanes. The game was coming down to the wire and while the Knicks were hitting timely buckets, they weren't letting up on the defensive end. Kidd, Smith, Melo were all getting clutch steals and overall the team defense was fantastic in the fourth. This is what Woodson has been pleading for and as stated in the game thread, this was
Minkaveli wrote:CHAMPIONSHIP LEVEL DEFENSE.

- Stagnant offense

Boston dictated the pace for much of the game and as a result, the Knicks resorted to an offense eerily similar to the one we loathed in January: atrocious floor spacing, little ball movement and iso-Melo. This led to forced, contested shots and rendered Chris Copeland and Steve Novak useless. Carmelo started the game 4/4, but was gobbled up by Jeff Green and got caught up in the action, not allowing the game to come to him. As he held on to the ball until the shot clock was down to single digits, you could count on either a heavily contested brick or turnover. He did not recapture his groove until the fourth quarter when transition offense fueled the final run. The impact of Pablo Prigioni's loss became increasingly apparent as NY's lead dwindled and Boston's ballooned.

Fortunately, the Knicks have mental fortitude and persevered. To break an offensive stupor like this one in the future, the basket should be attacked. After Felton's tremendous steals he swooped to the hoop for easy finishes. J.R. was able to get to the line after slick moves and draw fouls on Garnett. Furthermore, despite offense being the team's strong suit, making up for the lapses on defense would prove to be fruitful.

- Tyson Chandler

The Knicks should utilize zone defense for a portion of the game. Tyson Chandler was not himself today, even though he said he felt the best he has felt in a long time. He looked like a guy that missed however many games he has missed. Engaging the comfort zone he was in during his stellar run with Dallas could get him back on track and also stop me from cringing every time Novak is attempting to defend by calling out switches he should be making.

The Knicks did what they needed to do by protecting home court in game one. There is clear room for improvement and the goal should be to make Boston play at the Knicks tempo, not vice versa. After some incredibly dubious calls (how was Monty McCutchen allowed to officiate another Knicks-Celtics Game 1?!?!), maintaining composure is vital in a series that you know will become more and more physical as the games wear on. Unfortunately, in the case that the Knicks do continue to argue blown calls, do not expect them to come up with a steal on the same possession, like J.R. Smith. Speaking of J.R., I wish him a happy 4/20. I saw a tweet by him earlier mentioning he was studying this game tape repeatedly, but I'm sure he's tryna smoke the pipe, which is fine as long he continues giving the pipe to the Celtics.

[youtube]UWWlmdPreyo[/youtube]

Game 2 is on Tuesday night back at the Garden, giving us a few days to rest up and help heal some injuries/broken bodies. Hopefully Prigioni will be ready by then to be reinserted into the starting lineup. Copeland looked shook today in the starting lineup, and as a rookie that's expected. I think a healthy Prigioni can bring some stability. And let's hope Chandler is back to his old self on Tuesday. As great as Kenyon Martin played today, we've got to get a bigger contribution from Tyson.

This was a great Game 1 test for us. It showed us that these are the playoffs and nothing can be taken for granted. Every minute matters. The butterflies are out of the way now and we survived taking a 1-0 lead, let's hope Game 2 is a bit easier.
Mase in your face

Their starters logged major minutes. For a team where your 2 best players are older, that's not going to be a good outcome for them. Especially KG because he didn't play at the end of the season. To all of a sudden play 40 minutes....

Our depth will shine. Even when they were winning in the 1st half and in the 3rd I knew we'd still be ok because they were going to wear down. Jason Terry has had an awful year. They're putting it all on the back of a very short rotation. They don't match up well with our depth
RIP Anthony Mason 2-28-2015
spree#8
Likes given: 540

You nailed it! I really hope Prigs is back by game two and the ball moves again like it has been the case in our two best stretches of the season early on and late in the season. We have to open the game up more and Melo and Smith have to go inside more. Too many long jumpers and not enough movement played into the Celtics cards.

Let me add: even with JVG at his side I had a hard time listening to Mike Breen. Watched the game on delay and had to skip multiple highlight sections before and after time-outs because of it.
#knickstape
gradyandrew

spree#8 wrote:You nailed it! I really hope Prigs is back by game two and the ball moves again like it has been the case in our two best stretches of the season early on and late in the season. We have to open the game up more and Melo and Smith have to go inside more. Too many long jumpers and not enough movement played into the Celtics cards.

Let me add: even with JVG at his side I had a hard time listening to Mike Breen. Watched the game on delay and had to skip multiple highlight sections before and after time-outs because of it.
Why? He's the best play by play guy around.
Randle in the Rafters
mikeaman

Doc Rivers made two key mistakes in my opinion.

1. He only played 8 guys. When you have to keep taking Garnett out of the game for short breathers, you should go deeper into your bench to allow your best players to play together for longer amounts of time. I think he might change that since prior to this game yesterday he was going 10 deep.

2. The lineup when Kevin Garnett is not in the game for Boston should be uber-small. Rather than rely on Brandon Bass for 32 minutes a game, the lineup without Garnett in the game should be:

Bradley
Terry
Lee
Green
Paul Pierce

That would open up their offense for them. I know a lot of you don't like playing small but for them it actually makes sense. Brandon Bass for 32 minutes in game 1 plays into our hand with all the switching that we do.
Knicks 2011.
maxinquaye11
Likes given: 6

Prigioni mentioned much in knickstape finally...In a game he did not get to play.
 " Stat at 3 was code for Melo playing in the low post..." - n8 the gr8

"I don't ever wanna hear anyone bash max's 2 pg love again." - H20Knick

"Cant lie, he did play better off the bench." - nazrmohammed
cragganmor
Likes given: 93

great recap, naan and freak. yeah, kidd and martin saved our butts, both were instrumental in our 2nd half surge after an ineffective 1st half.

pablo is important rotation player; he doesn't astound you with any spectacular plays or gaudy stats but he's so fundamentally sound. when he's out, the ball movement and defense are down a notch; the floor balance gets uneven. with pablo out, we had to lean on kidd for 35 mins; way too much for his 40 y.o. bones. he did say that he's feeling much better, could see action in game 2.
6th_Man

Did we really win another playoff game or am I dreaming?
Same ole Knicks!